Will "Big Show" Be The Big Cheese In Green Bay?

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[Disclaimer: I know that Pro Football Talk is like the National Enquirer of football journalism. Just know that I know that... and consider it yourself. In any case, this article presents an interesting prospect. Read on.]

PFT, POSTED 12:14 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 1:15 p.m. EDT, June 3, 2007

WILL BIG SHOW BE THE BIG CHEESE IN GREEN BAY?

Though it's nothing more than speculation at this point, the Green Bay Press-Gazette tosses an intriguing name into the mix for the position of president of the Packers.

Mike Holmgren.

Holmgren, known lovingly (or otherwise) in football circles as the "Big Show," coached the Packers from 1992 through 1998, leading the franchise to its first Super Bowl win in 29 years. He left in 1999 to become coach and G.M. of the Seahawks. He has since given up the G.M. title (under some duress), but is still the head coach.

It has been believed for a couple of years that Holmgren has been thinking about calling it quits. He has made millions in Microsoft money, and he doesn't need to subject himself any longer to the 12-month grind of coaching. So he could take on what would be a less stressful and demanding job, where he would be somewhat insulated from on-field struggles but at the same time in prime position to claim credit for success.

Other candidates include Titans executive V.P. and General Manager Mike Reinfeldt. Though there's a chance that the Titans would have to give the Packers permission to interview Reinfeldt, since he is in charge of football operations in Tennessee, the fact that the president of the Packers is the top dog in the entire organization, with the power to hire and fire the G.M., likely makes it a vertical move, which by league rule cannot be blocked.

But the Press-Gazette questions whether Reinfeldt is too close to current Green Bay G.M. Ted Thompson. If the decision to dump Thompson needs to be made, could his long-time friend pull the trigger?

Regardless of whether the job goes to Holmgren or Reinfeldt or someone else, it appears that the sudden disqualification of the hand-picked successor to Bob Harlan has opened the door for the team to shift from an executive with no specific football experience to a guy whose name would be recognizable beyond the Wisconsin business community.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those guys are morons. Do they honestly think it's less stressful to run an NFL franchise, especially with no business training, than it is to be head coach? That's laugh out loud stuipd.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i read pft a lot but they are never right with any of their rumors. i honestly cannot think of one time. if they were right, GB would have adalius thomas, randy moss, and michael turner. man, i wish they were right sometimes...

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got a hunch Zero is right about this.

I wouldn't mind having this guy though.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
No. Mike Holmgren is not coming back to the Packers in any capacity.

Is that right?
Why not?

Yes its right. Mark my words man. He's a football guy, not a business guy.

Look at his track record of being GM in Seattle.

What Business background does he have? Teaching tennis in high school?

I like Mike, but I'm extremely confident we will not see him earning a paycheck from the Green Bay Packers ever again.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Zero2Cool said:
No. Mike Holmgren is not coming back to the Packers in any capacity.

Is that right?
Why not?

Yes its right. Mark my words man. He's a football guy, not a business guy.

Look at his track record of being GM in Seattle.

What Business background does he have? Teaching tennis in high school?

I like Mike, but I'm extremely confident we will not see him earning a paycheck from the Green Bay Packers ever again.

Mike Holmgren is one of those guys that has the "It factor". Great personality, very intellegent, and a strong desire to win. I'd like to see Holmgren return as GM. time will tell. He is a guy who has experienced packer fever, and to build a champion from scratch would be a major acheivment for him.
I think Mike is bright enough to run the Packers and keep a winning tradition for a long time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It's not the 90's anymore, move one. Mike Holmgren is not coming back to Green Bay. Don't make me use my sources on you!!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea if Holmgren has the business and administrative management skills to run a franchise like the Packers. But I agree with Z2C in that Holmgren probably won't ever be on the Packers payroll again, just because he burned too many bridges when he left the last time.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Mike Sherman in Green Bay again at some point.

Members online

Latest posts