Will AR survive?

tenplay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR is playing great. Highest QB rating in the league for the preseason. But 6 sacks?!? The rest of the team is championship caliber but the OL continues to give up sacks year after year. If AR goes down, there goes the season. The GB brass needs to focus on upgrading the OL with draft picks and trades ASAP.

Reaction score
True.. You can only go so far with talent and skill. The line just needs to execute better. They will I believe, but until we do, we will have to have a security blanket. That blanket is Matt Flynn.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think A-Rod will survive, though I do think he will be scrambling and sacked quite a bit. I think the problem with drafting was the best O-Line, is some of best people were drafted before us. I also think our RB's and TE needs to work on blocking. Starks blew a block and A-Rod gave him an earful.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Never doubt Rodgers.

He survived '09 when he got sacked over 50 times

We survived the Bears last year

We survived the STEEL CURTAIN

Have faith and hope!!!

it's only preseason, things will get better!

OP
OP
T

tenplay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never doubt Rodgers.

He survived '09 when he got sacked over 50 times

We survived the Bears last year

We survived the STEEL CURTAIN

Have faith and hope!!!

it's only preseason, things will get better!

I don't doubt Rodgers. But he is only human. If I got sacked by a 300 lb lineman once, I would be out of commission for a long time. The wear and tear on his body has to be horrific over time. Once he gets gimpy knees, some concussions, and/or a bad back, his effectiveness will decrease rapidly. Gotta protect the franchise with a solid dependable wall.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The Funniest part is I have a fantasy football Mag that says we have the 7th ranked line out of 32 teams. :Worried:

I think they will gel when the season starts. They have great talent and great coaching. Sherrod will come along and probably be ready to step in if needed by week 4 or five. He is very smart and talented and the coaches just need some time to tweak him into a pro level.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my biggest concern for the team. obviously we can adjust play calling to try and reduce sacks though.

I would seriously be shopping Flynn for a Tackle that can fill in if needed, or another 1st round pick next year in case we need to yet again draft another tackle.

Obviously you look for a team with quality tackle that doesnt have a QB. Cinci comes to mind, Andrew Whitworth is a beast. very underrated. Sean Locklear out of Seattle might be another one to look at if you think you can convert him to a left Tackle.

Joe Thomas and Jake Long are pipe dreams.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we all saw what a horrible offensive line did to the psyche and ability of an otherwise good QB in David Carr down in Houston. I hope we upgrade or trade for some better talent as well.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we could always sub in Matt Flynn at Left Tackle if things go real bad, but thats not even fair for other teams.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR is playing great. Highest QB rating in the league for the preseason. But 6 sacks?!? The rest of the team is championship caliber but the OL continues to give up sacks year after year. If AR goes down, there goes the season. The GB brass needs to focus on upgrading the OL with draft picks and trades ASAP.
I dunno why.
I can't explain it.
But I'm having this strange feeling of Deja vu.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM knows that the Oline is going to be subject to a lot of criticism with what they have shown this preseason. I look for him to try to cover up that weakness the same way he tries to last week. Screens, short dump offs, and roll outs.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well maybe he just wanted to isolate to get each O-Lineman on 1 on 1's and see how they fare. I'm pretty sure once regular season begins more pass blocking by TE and FB will be used.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The team actually has been drafting to fill the o-line. First Bulaga, now Sherrod. They've been using some pretty good picks to get these guys. I agree that the lack of OTA's affected this line. The difficulty with the shortened practice scenario is in evaluation. So the coaches played "round robin" guards and tackles for the pre-season. They wanted to evaluate where these guys are the strongest.

The positions will be settled when the regular season starts and it may take a week or two to get the guys all on the same page in their respective positions. It's not ideal, but this is football post lock out.

It seems that just about every team in the league is dealing with some major positional "catch up" time due to the lock out. The Packers just happen to be working on their line. Provided there aren't big injuries, they should be fine after a couple of weeks. There's no need to mash the panic button.....yet.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am worried about the Lions D-Line a little bit. They are a beast of a line and we have to play them twice. They really beat up the Patriots O-Line!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully w/ the some smart play calling and quick release by Rodgers, the Pack can neutralize the pressure from getting to Rodgers. As far as the lions go, screen plays to starks and alex green (grant's hands are marginal) against the Lions backers...they aren't that great

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The GB brass needs to focus on upgrading the OL with draft picks and trades ASAP.
I'd be interested to know how the Packers can focus on draft picks to upgrade the OL ASAP. :)

The "good" news is Sitton was responsible for a sack vs. Indy and Clifton had a bad night. It's "good" news because I don't think we have to worry about either when the season begins. Hoping for a trade for a starting OT is wishful thinking IMO. Remember Thompson, McCarthy, and staff went into the regular season a few years ago with Colledge as the primary backup to Clifton. Compared to that situation, I think the Packers are much better off. Thompson has the OTs of the future on the roster now and has three of 'em. If Clifton gets injured for an extended period of time, I think Newhouse is first off the bench. If he can't get it done, Bulaga may have to switch to the other side if Sherrod is still not ready. Either way, I am much, much more comfortable with that scenario than with Colledge backing up LT.

Where I think the depth is thin on the OL is inside. Who backs up the OGs and C if one of them goes down? And even if Thompson and company agree, I think the best we can hope for is a pickup of a backup for the interior of the OL. McCarthy likes Lang and thinks LG is his best position. Lang has only started to work full time with the ones so he hasn't been able to fully gel yet. The rest of the starters return at their same positions. Way too early to panic.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my biggest concern for the team. obviously we can adjust play calling to try and reduce sacks though.

I would seriously be shopping Flynn for a Tackle that can fill in if needed, or another 1st round pick next year in case we need to yet again draft another tackle.

Obviously you look for a team with quality tackle that doesnt have a QB. Cinci comes to mind, Andrew Whitworth is a beast. very underrated. Sean Locklear out of Seattle might be another one to look at if you think you can convert him to a left Tackle.

Joe Thomas and Jake Long are pipe dreams.
Ivo, you of all people?

We have the tackles for this season, Clifton and Bulaga.

We have the tackles for our future, Bulaga, and Newhouse or Sherrod.

We have the RG of the future and present in Sitton. The LG is still to be seen, but Lang could be it.

The only position that needs to be adressed in this OL is C, and that's aiming for the future. A guy like Mack from Cleveland would revamp our running game 100% up.

Members online

Latest posts