Will Al Harris be the #2 or #3 CB when he comes back?

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm week 6 is going to feel like playing a support card. we bring in [potentialy] 3 guys who will boost their respected positions. hope we don't receive anymore injuries before then :X

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would be a huge improvement when Al comes back, Al Harris> Sam Shields...speaking of Sam, I'm expecting Mike Martz to use motion all night to match up against Shields, hopefully Clay & Company can get the pressure on before Shields starts looking like Bush

i think youll be surprised

Mko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking he might make our D better at #3 than #2 atleast until he gets back in game shape. Williams has been playing a respectable #2 so far this year.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they were going to put him at #3 anyway at the start to get him back in rhythm, then move him back outside.

OP
OP
PackerFan87

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure this is correct. Shields is improving rapidly. He covered Lee Evans 1-on-1 much of the time last week and Evans didn't catch a pass. Could it be that they didn't throw at Shields because his guy wasn't open? I think if Harris passes his physical he will have to earn his way back into the rotation. And, I don't expect either Williams or Shields to lay down for him.

Well I know Edwards doesn't throw much to Evans to begin with :X Besides that I don't recall how well Shields was covering him.:skull:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just thinking about Harris! Seeing how good our D has played these last two games, I was thinking when Harris comes back, they are going to be almost unstoppable. I would think they would play him at #3 for his own safety to make sure he is ready and is on is game and then move him up. I can't wait to he comes back!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference between the #2 and #3 CB on the team is who starts and who sits.

It's ALWAYS Woodson who covers the nickel. The #3 always lines up at the outside.
This only changes if the #2 and #3 aren't handling blanketing the opponents' best guy, so Woodson is FORCED to cover him. But otherwise, when they go 3 wide, Woodson lines up at nickel.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Oh My! I feel like I need to comment!

I think we'll prob put him in as #2, because as RS said, it only means who starts and who sits, and because of his veteran status he deserves it. Who he covers is a different story.

And to Redbird:

Signs have been good, he seems to be handling everything fine. Everyone that has commented on him says he looks just as good, if not better, then before the injury. As for practices he does some walk through but that's it, so we won't know till week 6 for sure.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would be a huge improvement when Al comes back, Al Harris> Sam Shields...speaking of Sam, I'm expecting Mike Martz to use motion all night to match up against Shields, hopefully Clay & Company can get the pressure on before Shields starts looking like Bush

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking that Harris isn't going to be given the #2 spot. I think he will be given #3 but have to earn #2. Just because a player has been around for a while and is a "Veteran," doen't mean they deserve anything, other than the league minimum for their amount of years in the league. I like Al Harris and I am not ******* him, but this is the NFL and you go with the hot hand. I hope he comes back and starts however.

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a Harris fan for a long time, but I think you have to bring him back as the number 3, at least for the first game or two to see where he's at. Williams has played well, and I don't think you want disrupt that with a gamble. Hopefully, Harris comes back with a vengeance and re-claims his spot via great play, and Williams plays the nickle as well as he 's playing now.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's try and make some sense out of this post ...

The difference between #2 and #3 CB is who plays in the base defense - the #2 does, the #3 does not. The #3 comes onto the field (and becomes the 5th DB) when the defense goes into the nickel (the most common type of sub-package). The Packers played in this sub-package for the entire game against Philly.

Why would Woodson cover one of our own players? Nickel is the name for the sub-package and the extra DB that plays in it - it does not refer to a receiver. In 3 receiver sets, often two receivers are split out wide and the third receiver goes into the slot (between the OL and the wide receiver).

And I don't know what is trying to be communicated in the last sentence.
I mean, really? This was necessary?

Yeah, nickel, slot, mispelled, but the message was pretty clear.

And what I'm trying to communicate in the last sentence? Are you kidding me? Go take a look at film of last year, when Harris went down.

Before that, Woodson didn't cover the opposing #1 receiver even once. It was always Harris. But Tramon wasn't getting the job done, so Dom Capers backed out of his strategy, to let Woodson roam free, and was forced to place him covering the opposing #1 guy.

The reason I said the #2 and #3 is because this year, Shields and Tramon Williams are rotating when covering the opposing #1 guy. If I'm not mistaken, it's due to each of them lining up specifically at one side of the field. It might have happened last year, with Harris and Tramon, but I don't remember it.

BTW, didn't thought it needed further explanation, but I'm ONLY talking about the nickel package. When playing the base, Woodson sometimes DOES line up against the opposing #1, if the guy is lined up at the right side. AND, we didn't play dime a single snap last year, so there's no film as to what each of our DBs does in that situation...

http://www.jsonline.com/general/377...036001&bcplid=605539544001&bctid=614666555001

click on the second video, 9.14 x's and o's, at 6:35, and you'll know how our guys line up at nickel. Usually, it's that, Tramon at right, Shields at Left, but they can change sides. The technique is the same, both are lined up wide.

If Harris comes back, he's not gonna line up at nickel, playing against the slot receiver. He's gonna line up wide, because Woodson lines up against the slot receiver.

P.S.: Yes, that is a dime look, Woodson isn't lined up at the slot receiver, he's lined up at the LOS, besides Matthews. But even so, it's the dime corner who covers the slot, not the #2 or #3 CBs.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I went over the top a bit. Your posts are usually really good. This one was just wasn't clear. My apologies.
Accepted. I have a little bit of a problem when I'm called out, so I apologize myself. You were right in trying to clarify my post, just didn't like the manner...
He should be the dime CB when he comes back.
Fair enough, fair enough.

Reports are that the coaching staff, mainly Whitt Jr., are completely in love with Shields. That they're thrilled with his progression, from OTAs, to TC, and from week 1 to week 2.

By the time Harris can come back, it just might happen that Shields is comfortable enough with the position, and the coaches are happy enough with the results, that Harris, indeed, will have to beat not only Tramon Williams, but also Sam Shields for a spot on the D...

To me that would be the best-case scenario, BTW. Can you imagine a circumstance that our secondary is SO DEEP that Harris has to battle for the #3 job? That would be a thing of beauty.

To clarify, Harris from last year is contending with Tramon, probably beating him, for the #2 job, IMHO. But I don't know how Harris will come back, and I don't know what will be Tramon's and Shields' level of play by then...

Members online

Latest posts