Wilde Article About Face-Mask Call

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
540 ESPN Milwaukee

Just starting a thread on this to clarify a few things on it since people are talking about it.

The timing of Adams’ grabbing of the facemask is also an issue. Although the ball was loose when Adams’ hand hit Rodgers in the face, the Cardinals had not yet gained possession. So, had Green called the penalty, not only would the touchdown been wiped out, but the Packers would have retained possession.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I also like The mention of the second time Fitz knocked down Woodson. The first one i can uderstand, two physical guys playing football and got tripped up on each other. The second one seemed blatant and too early in the route to be accidental. Nice article.

My faorite part was Rodger's statement of "eh, didn't think about it. I made mistakes far more than the refs" Good man.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this settles all the face mask, possession, timing of the face mask, the non calls, the opi non calls

Please read this people from OFB....Your saying that the league reviewed it?? They EXPLAINED the rule and said...IN THE JUDGEMENT OF THE OFFICIALS...Not once did I read they made the RIGHT call..

And according to former NFL referee Bill Carollo, the officials got the call on the game-deciding play – Michael Adams’ blitzing sack of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, which resulted in a fumble that Karlos Dansby returned 17 yards for the winging touchdown – wrong.

referee Scott Green and his crew missed what should have been a 15-yard facemask or unnecessary roughness penalty on Adams, who caught Rodgers’ facemask with his right hand and pulled on it after forcing Rodgers’ fumble.

The timing of Adams’ grabbing of the facemask is also an issue. Although the ball was loose when Adams’ hand hit Rodgers in the face, the Cardinals had not yet gained possession. So, had Green called the penalty, not only would the touchdown been wiped out, but the Packers would have retained possession.

“In this case, though, when the facemask was grabbed, the ball was still loose, which means it was still in the Packers’ possession. So they have not lost possession. The foul happened before the ball was recovered in the air. If the foul happened after the fact, and the Arizona player had the ball, then Arizona would keep the ball with the penalty assessed from that spot.

“In this case, I believe the penalty occurred before Arizona recovered the ball in the air, so it would be a previous-spot foul: 15 yards from the previous spot.”

Carollo also said Green’s crew missed what should have been an offensive pass interference penalty on Larry Fitzgerald on Fitzgerald’s 33-yard touchdown catch-and-run, when he knocked Woodson down before catching Kurt Warner’s pass.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Rodgers. They had a chance to win the game, and he missed Jennings. As far as the no call in Fitz, the defense was so horrific that even if they called it, the Cardinals would have scored anyway. Offensive pass interference is only 10 yards. They would have picked that up on the next play, probably more.

CT_01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The refs got it right

NFL offers context in face mask ruling - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Incidental face mask. No penalty. Stop whining, get over it, the better team won.

You guys were mighty confident that your team would roll based on two meaningless preseason games, but while your team was showing their "championship belts" and throwing their full arsenal on offense and defense at the Cardinals, Coach Wiz and Warner were taking notes on the sidelines.

Has to be a tough pill to swallow, I get that, but seriously, you guys are above whining like little girls, right?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Incidental face mask. No penalty. Stop whining, get over it, the better team won.

You guys were mighty confident that your team would roll based on two meaningless preseason games, but while your team was showing their "championship belts" and throwing their full arsenal on offense and defense at the Cardinals, Coach Wiz and Warner were taking notes on the sidelines.

Has to be a tough pill to swallow, I get that, but seriously, you guys are above whining like little girls, right?

Show me?
The NFL issued a rules explanation Monday in response to questions about the play. I got my hands on it this afternoon, and its general tone suggests that no illegal act occurred because Adams -- in the judgment of officials -- did not twist, turn or pull Rodgers’ face mask. An inadvertent grab is legal in part because of a 2008 rule revision.

Its the JUDGEMENT of the ref..

Doesnt say they made the right call?

I am NOT blaming loss on the missed calls..I would put blame on the turnovers from Rodgers and Driver and the d for not stopping AZ..

but the NFL is not saying it was the right call, saying it was a judgment call

I post article from a ex ref and the HEAD ref of the BIG TEN saying it was the wrong call

He is saying it should have stayed the Packers ball point blank

however this is with the benefit of slow motion, dvr and the like to nit pick the entire play..where as the refs made it during live action..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Show me where I AM whining? Show me where I was mighty confident?

I beg you to show me

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We heard a lot of the tripping call that was the reason for the Viking loss to Pitt..

So that still applies now?

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score

***! Go F*** Yourself! :tomato:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We heard a lot of the tripping call that was the reason for the Viking loss to Pitt..

So that still applies now?

The thing is, Packers' fans take whining to a stratospheric level. If you're from Wisconsin and still residing there, you won't understand what I am talking about.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is unreal - the level of petty whining and refusal to accept reality. At first it's kinda amusing, but now it's really embarrassing. :(

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is unreal - the level of petty whining and refusal to accept reality. At first it's kinda amusing, but now it's really embarrassing. :(

If you so disgusted with how people post here, you know how to fix it......

right?

I am guessing no...

Since you still havent proved me wrong and yourself right with the defense theory as to why December is "statistically" Bretts worst month

Pretty sad if you ask me..A guy basing his logic and claiming he is right but no evidence to prove other than I am right and your wrong.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has proved my point this season - unless you don't care to use this season as an example.

This is why I made the point the other nite about how this Sunday's match-up is DREADFUL for anybody in the "Romo and Favre choke in big games" camp because one of these guys is going to win the game - then what'll ya'll do when you have no scape goat to toss under the bus, or you'll be forced to admit that at least ONE of these guys doesn't choke in big games???

I can't wait for Sunday! :)

OP
OP
T

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying we lost because of the refs at all. They were a contributing factor, but our defense was horrid. The Packers came out flat for most of the first half. I just wanted to clarify since people seemed to be confused about how it should have been called. That is all.

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Facemask penalties are non-reviewable. Even if coach's challenges were allowed in OT, McCarthy wouldn't have been able to challenge anyway.

It's my understanding that every play in OT is booth reviewed...

By non-reviewable, does that mean that the booth has no power to overturn that last play?

I get that the refs might not have seen it

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's my understanding that every play in OT is booth reviewed...

By non-reviewable, does that mean that the booth has no power to overturn that last play?

I get that the refs might not have seen it

There are certain plays that, by rule, are not subject to review, whether it's a coach's challenge or a booth review. Facemask penalties fall into that category. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind that, but that's how it's written into the rule book.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm kind of bored with the whole non calls. We lost, and sitting home, that is all the matters. Packers should NEVER have let it get into the Refs hands who wins or loses a game. You'll always get screwed. Best to beat em 48-0 next time.

cantstop12to85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me where I AM whining? Show me where I was mighty confident?

I beg you to show me

yea dudes got his head up his ***... you were just proving that the league cant even back up its officials and say it was the wrong call. instead they say its a judgement call and throw it all on the refs' backs

Members online

Latest posts