Wildcard Games Previews & Predictions

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/2007/12/packers-to-play-sat-jan-12.html

The upcoming playoffs. The Pack will host their first home playoff game at 3:30 CT on Saturday, Jan. 12 against an as-yet-to-be-determined opponent. If Seattle wins its game against Washington, the Seahawks will come to Lambeau. If Seattle loses, the winner of the Giants-Buccaneers game will travel to GB:

Saturday, Jan. 5
3:30 p.m. - Washington Redskins at Seattle Seahawks
7 p.m. - Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers

Sunday, Jan. 6
Noon - New York Giants at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
3:30 p.m. - AFC 6th seed at San Diego Chargers)

Saturday, Jan. 12
3:30 p.m. - TBD at Green Bay Packers
7 p.m. - TBD at New England Patriots

Sunday, Jan. 13
Noon - TBD at Indianapolis Colts
3:30 p.m. - TBD at Dallas Cowboys

Sunday, Jan. 20
2 p.m. - AFC Championship
5:30 p.m. - NFC Championship

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cheatsheetforthenflplayo&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Cheat sheet for the NFL playoffs

AFC

No. 1 seed: New England Patriots
Pluses: The quarterback and wide receiver are sensational, the coach is the best and the players covet rings like J-Lo.
Minuses: Foul weather could foul up the Pats' passing game. Their secondary is vulnerable if the opposing QB gets protection.
Bottom line: It will be bigger news if the perfect Patriots don't win the Super Bowl than if they do.
Momentum: Full speed ahead.

No. 2 seed: Indianapolis Colts
Pluses: Peyton Manning can pick apart any opponent. Indy's defense is quick and smart, and its big-game experience makes it panic-proof.
Minuses: The pass rush is weak, and if anything happens to hard-hitting safety Bob Sanders, the defense becomes average.
Bottom line: The Colts are the NFL's second-best team. If they can get past the Patriots, they'll repeat.

No. 3 seed: San Diego Chargers
Pluses: Defensive playmakers force turnovers. Having the world's best running back makes everyone else on offense better.
Minuses: If you contain LaDainian Tomlinson, Philip Rivers won't beat you. This team has been spooked by playoff pressure in the past.
Bottom line: In the NFC, the Chargers would be a serious Super Bowl threat. In the AFC, they'll fall short.

No. 4 seed: Pittsburgh Steelers
Pluses:Coordinator **** LeBeau's defense is consistently good. Ben Roethlisberger is having a great season with little fanfare.
Minuses:The Steelers are a bad road team. Their offense will lack balance without Willie Parker, and Roethlisberger must be superb.
Bottom line: They peaked too early, and the AFC is too tough for a team to fake its way through.
Momentum: Going backward.

No. 5 seed: Jacksonville Jaguars
Pluses: The NFL's most physical team pounds people with its running game and defense. Play the Jaguars, bring Tylenol.
Minuses: The offense lacks big-play ability. When the Jaguars fall behind by more than a touchdown, they have trouble coming back.
Bottom line: The Jags are best equipped to upset the Patriots, but a lack of playoff experience hurts.
Momentum: Headed in the right direction.

No. 6 seed: Tennessee Titans
Pluses: The defensive line creates havoc, the running game is solid, and the kicker can win a game if the team keeps it close.
Minuses: Vince Young has had an up-and-down season and is coming off a quadriceps injury. His receiving unit isn't star-studded, either.
Bottom line: The Titans have come on of late, but they have too many holes to make a playoff run.
Momentum: Stalled.

NFC

No. 1 seed: Dallas Cowboys
Pluses: Their offense is always on the attack. They have the stars on the field to match the stars on their helmets.
Minuses: Jessica Simpson's favorite QB occasionally has a clunker. Tony Romo and T.O. must be right for the Cowboys to win.
Bottom line: With the road to Glendale going through Dallas, this team should reach the Super Bowl.

No. 2 seed: Green Bay Packers
Pluses: No team has improved more since Week 1. A legendary quarterback leads a talented young nucleus.
Minuses: Brett Favre doesn't win in Dallas. And when he plays from behind, he starts throwing more passes to the other team.
Bottom line: Failing to gain home-field advantage will be the Packers' undoing unless Dallas loses in Round 2.
Momentum: Headed in the right direction.

No. 3 seed: Seattle Seahawks
Pluses: Mike Holmgren's play-calling and Matt Hasselbeck's smarts make for a dynamite offense. Who needs a running game?
Minuses: An easy schedule made the Seahawks look better than they are. They didn't play the Cowboys, Packers or Giants.
Bottom line: It's hard to see Seattle winning more than one playoff game -- even with a hot Hasselbeck.

No. 4 seed: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Pluses: The quarterback (Jeff Garcia) and coach (Jon Gruden) are playoff proven. The defense features savvy veterans.
Minuses: The red zone offense and running game are concerns. They've lost their edge since clinching the division.
Bottom line: The Bucs had a nice season, but they're not good enough to win the NFC.
Momentum: Going backward.

No. 5 seed: New York Giants
Pluses: A terrific pass rush, a consistent running game and mental toughness give the Giants a chance in any game.
Minuses: Eli Manning is inconsistent and plays poorly in bad weather, which will make a long playoff run more difficult.
Bottom line: The Giants are excellent on the road and could be a sleeper. But more than one playoff win is unlikely.

No. 6 seed: Washington Redskins
Pluses: The Redskins win with a strong running game, a low-risk offense and a swarming defense that hits hard and tackles well.
Minuses: They have trouble scoring, so when their defense comes up short, they have little chance of winning.
Bottom line: No NFC team has played better December football. Washington will be a tough out.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=703757

Note: Bigby late show is deadissue...settled with McCarthy in a meeting.

Spitz, Blackmon closer: Guard Spitz (thigh) and cornerback Will Blackmon (foot) did not practice but McCarthy is confident both will be able to take part next week. "It's positive every day when we talk to the medical staff," McCarthy said, referring to Spitz's status. "McKenzie thinks he's making very good progress. He won't practice until next week. I don't have the exact day that he will go but he's very optimistic he will go." With Spitz sidelined, Moll got most of the practice at right guard. Colledge continued at left guard

Blackmon will test his right foot on Monday. Williams is preparing to fill in for Blackmon. Williams briefly held the punt-return duties before Blackmon regained his role. Injury update: Linebacker White (ankle), fullback Kuhn and tight end Franks (ankle) were held out of practice to help their nagging injuries. Fullback Hall and quarterback Rodgers returned to practice. Receiver Koren Robinson left practice to get what he termed "routine maintenance" on his right knee.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=703801

Getting by playoff hurdle: Packers, Favre want to avoid recent history

The turnabout has been amazing. The talk about Packers quarterback Brett Favre the past few years has revolved almost solely around the timing of his eventual retirement. It seemed time was being extended each year. Now, with the Packers armed with a first-round bye in the playoffs by virtue of their 13-3 record, time may be running out....think three years ago we were saying, 'He's done.' And I was saying the same thing, and here we are," Favre said. "Stranger things have happened. We may go 14-2 next year, so who knows?" Maybe in the end, time will end up standing still a little longer.

PREDICT OUR OPPONENT & WILD CARD WINNERS.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=703756

NFL Playoff Capsules

Washington Redskins (9-7) at Seattle Seahawks (10-6)
When: 3:30 p.m. today
Player to watch: Redskins quarterback Todd Collins has thrown five touchdowns and no interceptions in his four starts.
Recent history: Seattle won an NFC divisional playoff in 2005 to snap a four-game skid in the series.
Key statistic: Seattle is 7-1 at home this season.
picks: Straight up, Washington; vs. spread, Washington.

Jacksonville Jaguars (11-5) at Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6)
When: 7 tonight.
Player to watch: Former Packers running back Najeh Davenport will have to carry the Steelers' ground game with Willie Parker out.
Recent history: The Jaguars have won the last three meetings, including a 29-22 victory in Week 15.
Key statistic: Jacksonville has scored at least 24 points in its last 10 games.
picks: Straight up, Jaguars; vs. spread, Jaguars.

New York Giants (10-6) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7)
When: Noon Sunday.
Player to watch: Grey Ruegamer, who played in Green Bay from 2003-'05, will see a lot of action at center for the Giants after Shaun O'Hara hurt his knee in the regular-season finale.
Recent history: The Giants have won two of the last three matchups.
Key statistic: Tampa Bay is winless in the playoffs since its victory in Super Bowl XXXVII.
picks: Straight up, Giants; vs. spread, Giants.

Tennessee Titans (10-6) at San Diego Chargers (11-5)
When: 3:30 p.m. Sunday.
Player to watch: Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman hurt his knee in the teams' meeting in Week 14 and said it was on a cheap shot from the Titans.
Recent history: San Diego's 23-17 overtime victory this season extended its winning streak against Tennessee to five.
Key statistic: The Titans allowed just two 100-yard rushers this season. One was San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson, who torched Tennessee for 146 yards on the ground.
picks: Straight up, Chargers; vs. spread, Chargers.

Wild Card Weekend Picks: Who's going to win?

Jax or Pittsburgh?
Tennessee or San Diego?
Washington or Seattle?
Giants or Tampa Bay?

:USA: :eek:mg: :yeah: :eek:mg: :USA:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Awards

NFL Alumni Award: Coach Mike McCarthy is Coach of the Year.

http://gnb.scout.com/2/716775

Terry Awards: Coach McCarthy is Coach of the Year & Q Favre is Mr. Remarkable.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6321070

Fox Award: Q Favre is Comeback Player of the Year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7623384

USSA Award: Favre is USSA Athlete of the Year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15752021/

Editorial: "Belichick won the AP award [Coach of the Year] for his team's perfect season. He probably did a hell of great job this season, but the spygate fiasco should have kept him from winning. Voting...for Belichick isn't saying anything new...it says a lot about the character of the AP writers who apparently believe that cheating is just part of the game."

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2008/1/4/14840/25266

:USA: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :USA:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wildcards Previews & Predictions: Who Wins?

Thanks for starting this thread, TOPHAT. Everyone has been talking about the 3-6 seeds this week, because those are the teams we will be watching this weekend, but I still think it will come down to the Big Four: New England, Indy, Dallas, and Green Bay. They've been the four best teams all season, and I don't expect that to change. Of those teams, the one that looks most vulnerable to upset right now is Dallas, but only if Terrell Owens' injury limits him.

What's interesting about this weekend's matchups is that three of the four road teams have more momentum than the home teams. The only home team that is looking pretty good is San Diego over Tennessee, but on the other hand, they had to come back to beat Tennessee a few weeks ago, and they have a history of choking in the playoffs. So even that one is no shoo-in.

I think Jacksonville has a good chance of beating Pittsburgh, but I don't see them winning in the next round. The pundits have all been saying that they are built for the playoffs because of their defense and running game and their nearly mistake-free QB, but I think that is exactly the kind of team that loses in the second or third round. When you get up against the very best teams, you need a little pizzaz. When a good defense gears up to slow down the Jaguars' running game, I don't think they will be able to get enough done through the air.

In the NFC, the Redskins are the X-factor. I bet the Cowboy fans will be cheering for Seattle. A Seattle win assures that the Cowboys will play the winner of Giants-Bucs, and they should handle either of those teams just fine. But it's not hard to see the Redskins coming into Dallas and winning.

As a Packer fan, I will be sticking up for the Redskins, because I don't fear the Giants or Bucs much. Seattle could be tricky, because they have playoff experience, but I think the Packers will be able to handle whoever they face next weekend.

The bottom line is that I expect the Big Four to be slugging it out with each other in the conference championship games on January 20th. But there will be a lot of great football before then. I can't wait.

My predictions for the first round:

Seahawks 17 Redskins 16 (another Gibbs coaching blunder; Cowboys breathe a sigh of relief)

Giants 24 Bucaneers 17 (Giants' playmakers on offense and D-line are too much for Bucs)

Jaguars 23 Steelers 20 (a good old-fashioned NFL football game; it's really too close to call, but I'll take Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew over Najeh Davenport)

Chargers 38 Titans 20 (Titans lack offensive punch and are sent packing; how did they get into the playoffs anyway?)

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wildcard Games Predictions

Greg C. said:
Thanks for starting this thread, TOPHAT.

Appreciate complement....By the way fans, PFW [11,000] poll picks Packers to be NFC team in Super Bowl.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Poll+Results/default.htm

1. Green Bay 42.11%

2. Dallas 28.92%

3. Washington 7.20%

4. Seattle 6.10%

As far as wildcard games and beyond, similar polls are following the same results with our poll. As far as Packers pundits and ESPN agrees, most would like Redskins to win, beat Dallas, and meet the Packers in NFC championship in Lambeau leading to our Super Bowl appearance.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow the votes are
at this time. Seems like many of the pundits are correct; predicting this NFC playoff picture is a crapshoot. No consensus amongst us as to who will win.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow the votes are
at this time. Seems like many of the pundits are correct; predicting this NFC playoff picture is a crapshoot. No consensus amongst us as to who will win.
It pretty much is. It's all a guessing game anyway.

packfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington over Seattle
Pittsburgh over Jacksonville
NY Giants over Tampa Bay
San Diego over Tennessee

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Wildcards Previews & Predictions: Who Wins?

I have to blow my own horn here. I picked all four winners this weekend. A blind chimpanzee would have only a one in sixteen chance of doing this. I don't think anybody else here picked all four winners. I was pretty close with the point differentials for three of the games, too. And yes, I'm picking the Packers to win next week.

Check this out:

Greg C. said:
My predictions for the first round:

Seahawks 17 Redskins 16 (another Gibbs coaching blunder; Cowboys breathe a sigh of relief)

Giants 24 Bucaneers 17 (Giants' playmakers on offense and D-line are too much for Bucs)

Jaguars 23 Steelers 20 (a good old-fashioned NFL football game; it's really too close to call, but I'll take Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew over Najeh Davenport)

Chargers 38 Titans 20 (Titans lack offensive punch and are sent packing; how did they get into the playoffs anyway?)

Members online

Latest posts