1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Wild Fires and High Winds in Southern CAlifornia

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Heatherthepackgirl, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We are kind of in the middle of it all here, so far the fires havent come real close to us. But the winds are crazy. Some of our tile roof blew off our house that is how strong these winds are here. There are semi's blown over on the freeways. And so many people have lost their homes in these fires, lets keep them all in our prayers.

2. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Well Heathie, I hope you guys come out of this ok. I'm not sure what else to say other than I really feel for everyone affected by this, and hope they can get the fires under control very soon. I wish you well.

3. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Midweat!!

4. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's gut wrenching watching the destruction being caused by those fires.
    I really feel for all those families that are losing everything.

Here is to hoping you and yours stay safe Heather.

5. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Heather and all affected.. God bless and stay safe.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    "Midwheat".......is that "Buckwheat's" little brother? :D

Hedder.............you and those around you will be in my thoughts/prayers.
    Just be sure to keep a close watch on it, in case it does come your way.

7. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Hang tight Heather, and lets hope the fires dont come too close. keep up your guard.

8. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    One of my best friends (whom my son is named after) was evacuated and has no idea if his home is still there. Not very hopeful....

9. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I heard some Jack *** caller to a radio talk show today say that the reason the people who are evacuated are being treated so well compared to New Orleans is because they all are rich and white.

I just about drove off the road when I heard that.

Much of this fire could have been avoided by controlled burn-offs to clear fire breaks. However, many environmental movements and local government officials in California refused to do it due to harming wildlife habitats and such.

The 10,000 desert rabbits they saved by not doing controlled burns are now all dead anyway.... And thousands of homes burned with those rabbits.

10. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your well wishes. And Tripp hope your friends finds that his house is alright. So many have lost everything I just cant imagine that.

The state of CA just didnt have the man power they needed for all these wild fires there were everywhere and they could do just so much.

Just devastating. My prayers also go out to the people that lost their homes. But as long as they are okay thats all that matters..and so far I have heard of one dealth so far. Just hope there isnt anymore..

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    To some people (REAL racists) EVERYTHING comes down to the color of your skin. Fact is, there were plenty of white people that lost everything in New Orleans too.
    I NEVER understood how plants or animals take precedent over humans. I mean, so WHAT if a certain kind of rabbit, or swamp grass dies out.......it's not like there's no other rabbits or grass. I know.......i'm not "politically correct". Then again, i don't plan on EVER being that. PEOPLE should be #1. THEN worry about animals/plants.

12. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I should mention they were CONCRETE tiles that blew off. Pieces were all over the street and entire tiles were in the yard across the street. I was amazed (and glad no one was in the street at the time)

13. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,956
    Everyone be safe...Ed and Heather please be careful..

I heard tonight there are somewhere around 700,00 people that had to evacuate..To put that in prospective, Milwaukee has about the same amount of people

Green Bay only has about 105,000 people

14. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2

WHOA!

I Just realized that PackinSteel and heatherthepackgirl are married and post individually as a married couple.

Cool. Very Cool

What a great relationship you must have.

15. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LT!! The wind warning has been lifted.

16. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, we are married and have been told we do have a great relationship by many. Our kids say "we are a very nutty couple". LOL. And actually we met on the internet, thats how I ended up moving to CA from WI.

17. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heathie and Packin.....take care and be safe. I know exactly what you are going through. Been there, done that. If you need some extra roof sprinklers, I just happen to have a few. They've only been used the past 3 summers.
    Hopefully, the offshore winds will come back and bring some moisture in the air.

Just keep an eye out for the small things, like flying embers. We had fires around our house this summer from embers blown in from over two miles away.

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hedder/Edder........stay safe my friends!!!
    Keep us updated on how it's going out there!

19. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the good wishes everyone. We do live in the mountain foothills but it would take a really big catastrophe for fire to reach us - like leapfrogging over a number of developments.

We've seen them up close though in 2003 - just across the freeway - and had the helicopters flying over the houes. The winds were our biggest problem. Still can't believe they took concrete tiles off the roof! They have calmed down for now.