Votes: 41 95.3%
  • Abbrederis

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Pinkard

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

You almost have to think that 2 spots were intentionally left open on the PS, one for White (knowing they were in the process of signing Jones) and potentially one for the guy getting cut after Datone serves his one game.

I don't see White agreeing to return to the Packers practice squad though. If he isn't claimed off waivers I expect him to land on another team's PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I won't loose any sleep over White moving on. I'm guessing once he gets over the frustration of "almost making the 53 to week 1", he may realize there are only 5 receivers ahead of him and possibly his best shot in the NFL is with a system he knows well. This is all dependant on the Packers wanting him on the PS, but given they kept him for the 53 for a few a day, you would think an invite will be made.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a 2014 highlight reel:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

There isn't much separation on most of those plays, but he looks like he can still go get the ball.

If my choices are a guy who gets separation but can't catch the ball vs a guy who can't get separation but can catch the ball I'll take the second guy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see White agreeing to return to the Packers practice squad though. If he isn't claimed off waivers I expect him to land on another team's PS.

I don't know, since he made the 53 once he would have to know he is only 1 injury or a poor showing by Jones away from a spot on the 53. That wouldn't necessarily be the case with another team. I guess it would depend on who the other teams might be. Then again he may be just pissed enough to say screw you guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know, since he made the 53 once he would have to know he is only 1 injury or a poor showing by Jones away from a spot on the 53. That wouldn't necessarily be the case with another team. I guess it would depend on who the other teams might be. Then again he may be just pissed enough to say screw you guys.

He would still have to compete with Abbrederis (if Abby can stay healthy). After signing James Jones it's pretty obvious to me that the Packers front office and coaching staff doesn't trust White to get the job done and it's probably better for both parties to move on.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The list of ex Packers to Vikings and ex Vikings to Packers is long. Don't for a minute think it's a one way street. BTW, when does Guion get off of suspension?

Week 4.

Other than Guion, I can't think of a one in recent memory. How far back do we have to go?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brown is the only other one I have that's notable and that was a while ago now

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The list of ex Packers to Vikings and ex Vikings to Packers is long. Don't for a minute think it's a one way street. BTW, when does Guion get off of suspension?

One Minnesota reporter disagrees with you:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/1522662-could-long-ex-packers-tradition-continue

"The funny thing is that it has largely been a one-way street. About the only Viking that has portaged eastward across the Mississippi was Letroy Guion. Other than Guion, it’s hard to find many Vikings that made the Lambeau Leap to Green Bay. It’s been one-sided and continues to grow."

Guion and Gilbert Brown are the only two Vikings turned Packers I can think of in recent history and both have had positive impact on the field with the Packers.

H

HardRightEdge

I won't loose any sleep over White moving on. I'm guessing once he gets over the frustration of "almost making the 53 to week 1", he may realize there are only 5 receivers ahead of him and possibly his best shot in the NFL is with a system he knows well. This is all dependant on the Packers wanting him on the PS, but given they kept him for the 53 for a few a day, you would think an invite will be made.
According to Cohen, the Packers do (or did) want him for the PS:

"Though White was waived Monday, cutting short his third attempt to stick on the 53-man roster, the Packers would like to sign him to the practice squad, according to a source. To do so, White must first clear waivers and then decide if he is willing to remain in Green Bay."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/325435201.html

That would stand to reason. White was chosen for the 53 over a healthy Pinkard in the first place, whereas the latter player currently resides on the PS. Abbrederis is in a different situation...the original perceived potential has not yet been explored due to injury.

I think it quite plausible that White would want to test the waiver wire for a 53 roster position, bide his time for a week or two as the injury count around the league accumulates, or pursue other PS options.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Cohen, the Packers do (or did) want him for the PS:

"Though White was waived Monday, cutting short his third attempt to stick on the 53-man roster, the Packers would like to sign him to the practice squad, according to a source. To do so, White must first clear waivers and then decide if he is willing to remain in Green Bay."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/325435201.html

That would stand to reason. White was chosen for the 53 over a healthy Pinkard in the first place, whereas the latter player currently resides on the PS. Abbrederis is in a different situation...the original perceived potential has not yet been explored due to injury.

I think it quite plausible that White would want to test the waiver wire for a 53 roster position, bide his time for a week or two as the injury count around the league accumulates, or pursue other PS options.

The Packers assured Ed Williams' agent that his client won't lose his spot on the practice squad to Myles White if he clears waivers though.

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packer...be-ready-for-bears-b99571753z1-325537661.html

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was White, I wouldn't go to our practice squad...he will only have a chance at a real contract once injuries occur and some team is bound to offer him a contract to be there 4 or 5 WR.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assumed that because of the injury to Abbrederis and Nelson, it was the only reason White was on the 53 anyway. I suspect he was a guy pegged for cutting once the suspensions were up and we put Guion and Jones back on the Dline.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
One Minnesota reporter disagrees with you:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/1522662-could-long-ex-packers-tradition-continue

"The funny thing is that it has largely been a one-way street. About the only Viking that has portaged eastward across the Mississippi was Letroy Guion. Other than Guion, it’s hard to find many Vikings that made the Lambeau Leap to Green Bay. It’s been one-sided and continues to grow."

Guion and Gilbert Brown are the only two Vikings turned Packers I can think of in recent history and both have had positive impact on the field with the Packers.
One mans opinion based on a small sample. When you look at the number over time they are almost even. Guess he forgot about Koren Robinson for one. Here's the short list. I am sure I am missing a few. Vikings that went to the Packers.

Dave Osborn 1976
Keith Millard 1992
Mike Merriwether 1993
Gilbert Brown 1993
Jim McMahon 1993
Steve Bono 1997
Colin Cole 2004-08
Conrad Bolston 2009-08
Koren Robinson 2006-07
Daryl Ingram 1992-92
Allen Rice 1991
Dale Dawson 1988
Maurice Turner 1985
Keith Hartwig 1977
Steve Wagner 1976 -79
Noel Jenke 1974
Ken Duncan 1971

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As good as White looked at times during the final preseason, most of it was done against back-ups. Cutting his route short to cause an interception stuck out more for me. I think he gave it a good run with trying to make the Packers roster, but understand the rollercoaster of emotions the guy must have been on Sat.- Monday and why he would want to move on to another team.

I thought it was Classy of James Jones to call him to encourage him to keep the fight. So far everything I have read about JJ is class and wanting to get down to work. Myles White or James Jones?? Good choice TT and once again, thank you Giants!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
One mans opinion based on a small sample. When you look at the number over time they are almost even. Guess he forgot about Koren Robinson for one. Here's the short list. I am sure I am missing a few. Vikings that went to the Packers.

Dave Osborn 1976
Keith Millard 1992
Mike Merriwether 1993
Gilbert Brown 1993
Jim McMahon 1993
Steve Bono 1997
Colin Cole 2004-08
Conrad Bolston 2009-08
Koren Robinson 2006-07
Daryl Ingram 1992-92
Allen Rice 1991
Dale Dawson 1988
Maurice Turner 1985
Keith Hartwig 1977
Steve Wagner 1976 -79
Noel Jenke 1974
Ken Duncan 1971

Jim McMahon! I forgot he was a Viking. Ha. After his stint in Chicago he really floated around the league. :D

H

HardRightEdge

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was White, I wouldn't go to our practice squad...he will only have a chance at a real contract once injuries occur and some team is bound to offer him a contract to be there 4 or 5 WR.

I'm not sure what his other options are. Teams have made their cuts to get down to 53 by now, and there are a lot of guys looking for a roster spot and not a lot of spots available.

If some other teams wants White for their final 53, they can pluck him off Green Bay's PS at any time. In the mean time, he's getting a check.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dave Osborn 1976
Keith Millard 1992
Mike Merriwether 1993
Gilbert Brown 1993
Jim McMahon 1993
Steve Bono 1997
Colin Cole 2004-08
Conrad Bolston 2009-08
Koren Robinson 2006-07
Daryl Ingram 1992-92
Allen Rice 1991
Dale Dawson 1988
Maurice Turner 1985
Keith Hartwig 1977
Steve Wagner 1976 -79
Noel Jenke 1974
Ken Duncan 1971

Adding Guion to that list you got 5 since 94. Who's side are you arguing????lol

H

HardRightEdge

As good as White looked at times during the final preseason, most of it was done against back-ups. Cutting his route short to cause an interception stuck out more for me.
Something Gannon may have overlooked or forgot in his analysis that White erred in not crossing the face of the defender is what happened in the opening possession.

On the un-called hold/interference on White's short slant, Tolzien threw well behind him, as if he expected him to curl up instead of run through. In the second instance, White did stop short while Tolzien threw expecting him to continue the cross. White's expression, after the second instance, directed at the QB, was "what gives"?

Alternatively, in the second instance, there was a linebacker right in White's path just a few paces away right in line with the continuation of the cross. Maybe he stopped short thinking Tolzien was leading him into a dangerous position...that would be on White if it's the case. It comes with the territory.

While the error might have been White's, I would not assume that to be the case, Mr. Gannon notwithstanding.

There's only one QB on the Packers who is "always right" as some ex-Packer receivers have put it, but that's not Tolzien.

Clearly, we're giving White's fate more ink than the situation deserves in the great scheme of things. He's a marginal NFL player on the one hand; on the other hand he showed enough improvement this preseason to not rule out his playing for somebody in need of a slot receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure what his other options are. Teams have made their cuts to get down to 53 by now, and there are a lot of guys looking for a roster spot and not a lot of spots available.

If some other teams wants White for their final 53, they can pluck him off Green Bay's PS at any time. In the mean time, he's getting a check.
Perhaps he'd prefer to be on another team's PS if he's not picked up on waivers and perhaps his agent has been given indications that one or the other scenario will transpire.

We'll see what happens, as an instructive exercise.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something Gannon may have overlooked or forgot in his analysis that White erred in not crossing the face of the defender is what happened in the opening possession.

On the un-called hold/interference on White's short slant, Tolzien threw well behind him, as if he expected him to curl up instead of run through. In the second instance, White did stop short while Tolzien threw expecting him to continue the cross. White's expression, after the second instance, directed at the QB, was "what gives"?

Alternatively, in the second instance, there was a linebacker right in White's path just a few paces away right in line with the continuation of the cross. Maybe he stopped short thinking Tolzien was leading him into a dangerous position...that would be on White if it's the case. It comes with the territory.

While the error might have been White's, I would not assume that to be the case, Mr. Gannon notwithstanding.

There's only one QB on the Packers who is "always right" as some ex-Packer receivers have put it, but that's not Tolzien.

Clearly, we're giving White's fate more ink than the situation deserves in the great scheme of things. He's a marginal NFL player on the one hand; on the other hand he showed enough improvement this preseason to not rule out his playing for somebody in need of a slot receiver.

I heard one commentator say something to this effect: White has done some nice things, but does anyone think he's the guy who's going to go up and take the ball away from a top-tier corner to win the game?

While I like White, my answer would have to be no. I think he can help a team at the lower end of the receiving corp, but not a lot beyond that. He's a Brett Swain, a Ruvell Martin. I wish him all the best.

H

HardRightEdge

I heard one commentator say something to this effect: White has done some nice things, but does anyone think he's the guy who's going to go up and take the ball away from a top-tier corner to win the game?
No argument there. But that's one qualification of a #1 or #2 wide out, not an inexpensive backup under the hard cap. It's also not a qualification for a slot receiver.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would still have to compete with Abbrederis (if Abby can stay healthy). After signing James Jones it's pretty obvious to me that the Packers front office and coaching staff doesn't trust White to get the job done and it's probably better for both parties to move on.

I don't know if that's accurate as he made the original 53. The (main) problem for White was Jones becoming available at the absolute perfect time. He knows the system, is a true professional, has a great rapport with 12, can play the outside WR position and has scored 40 TD's for the Packers already. White does have some talent and I think if he continues to work on his craft can make a career for himself. White had to know Janis was going to have the upper hand because of his rare skill set should Jones become available. If I were him and no other teams come calling I would join the PS and keep working my tail off. Any given moment a guy could go down and he could get his shot in a system he is already familiar with. You may be completely correct in your assumption WIMM but I feel it was just a case of bad timing for MW and we may yet see him suit up in the G and G one day. Time will tell...

G P G!

PS: The more I think about getting JJ back in the fold the more excited I am. He is going to be a major contributor this season and could end up being a major godsend.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i said this offseason, if "god forbid" nelson were to get hurt. janis, and hissimilar ability to stretch the field, would have a huge year. nelson got hirt. and i dont think jones can do what janis can in that sense. will be interesting to see which way mccarthy leans?

H

HardRightEdge

i said this offseason, if "god forbid" nelson were to get hurt. janis, and hissimilar ability to stretch the field, would have a huge year. nelson got hirt. and i dont think jones can do what janis can in that sense. will be interesting to see which way mccarthy leans?
I'd put the over/under on Janis at 25 catches.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts