Wide Receiver Options

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dk...trade for him?? Pack would on the hook I believe

Metcalf and the Seahawks have agreed to terms on a three-year, $72 million extension with $58.2 million in guarantees, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported Thursday.
Metcalf is also hauling in a $30 million signing bonus, which is the highest in history for a wide receiver, Garafolo added.
Well if Seattle wants to pay him, in spite of being weak at QB, that's their deal. The Packers probably couldn't afford him anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
LElgton Jenkins is ahead of schedule in his recovery. Oh boy, I heard that one before :eek:

It's interesting to note that despite suffering a torn ACL in week 15 Godwin wasn't placed on the PUP list. He really seems to be ahead of schedule in his recovery.
I wasn’t sure if this was meant tongue n cheek? after all the sarcastic remarks about us saying our players were ahead of schedule but either way it made me laugh, so thank you!
I agree with several other posters that the Packers will wait and see how the current receiving corps performs before possibly making a move.
Thank you
A fourth-round pick! Nice.
I know. Maybe he’s payback for missing on J’mon Moore! I was thinking about that statement of “sometimes you win, sometimes you lose” I’m feeling like we got a Winning ticket in round 4 thus far.
The Packers option at WR is whoever isn't injured. Injuries will dictate who sees the field and when.
This Post is so rhetorical that when I got done reading it and pondering it for its intrinsic values? I wanted the 13 seconds of my life I just wasted back. :roflmao:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I wasn’t sure if this was meant tongue n cheek? after all the sarcastic remarks about us saying our players were ahead of schedule but either way it made me laugh, so thank you!

As I mentioned before I don't put any stock into someone mentioning a player is ahead of schedule in his recovery from injury (MLF doing that on Bakhtiari in June of last year should work as a cautionary tale).

I want to have some proof about a player actually being ready to return before taking notice. Like the Bucs not putting Godwin on the PUP list for example.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I mentioned before I don't put any stock into someone mentioning a player is ahead of schedule in his recovery from injury (MLF doing that on Bakhtiari in June of last year should work as a cautionary tale).

I want to have some proof about a player actually being ready to return before taking notice. Like the Bucs not putting Godwin on the PUP list for example.
The Godwin case is a good example of getting some solid info that a player is ready to play/return. Unless he was clearly ready, the Bucs would have been wise to put him on the PUP list. He must be doing well to avoid that, and the Bucs must want him active in TC. That's a lot different than saying someone is "ahead of schedule", a statement that is meaningless.

Reaction score
Similarly. I don’t put much weight in training camp PUP. I think it might even be used as a tool to keep people guessing and resetting expectations (including our opponent). Plus I believe we use it to get a few more weeks to look at fringe players. We’ve already had changes to that PUP list and it hadn’t been what a week into camp?
Now if a player misses a couple preseason contests? That’s a better indicator as to their regular season status, at least for me anyways.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Similarly. I don’t put much weight in training camp PUP. I think it might even be used as a tool to keep people guessing and resetting expectations (including our opponent). Plus I believe we use it to get a few more weeks to look at fringe players. We’ve already had changes to that PUP list and it hadn’t been what a week into camp?
Now if a player misses a couple preseason contests? That’s a better indicator as to their regular season status, at least for me anyways.

Those are good points. It's always hard to put much stock into anything the coaches say about a guy's health. Watkins is already off the PUP. And yeah, as opening day gets closer and closer we'll have a better idea of a player's health and where he'll start the season. At this point, I don't expect the Packers to make any more moves at WR. They're gonna want 5 or 6 healthy guys for the 53. If they can't get there, they'll add.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if Gute picked up another WR. With Watson recovering fron knee surgery, Gute may be looking for a speed guy. If Watson misses all of training camp, it would be a big incentive to get another receiver since its not likely a rookie can come back and just step into the offense like a veteren may be able to.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if Gute picked up another WR. With Watson recovering fron knee surgery, Gute may be looking for a speed guy. If Watson misses all of training camp, it would be a big incentive to get another receiver since its not likely a rookie can come back and just step into the offense like a veteren may be able to.
Yeah that's a good point on Watson. About all we know is he had surgery on the knee, and there is no insignificant surgery. i don't know when he had the surgery. Also agree if Gluten is going to add someone it has to be someone with speed - an MVS type. It's a lot easier if your assignment is to outrun your defender. Eventually, a guy is going to catch a defender napping and get open and at a minimum, it ties up a CB and forces a S to pay attention.

But where do you find a guy like that now? Maybe in cutdowns?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im not sure. I think we will stand Pat.

Just read a coaches report they said they expected Watson to be back in several weeks. Saw recent live film of him working out with the Receivers. Although he’s just kinda walking jogging slow through his routes. From watching him on tape, It doesn’t appear like it’s anything serious at all. More just being careful not to get over zealous too early.

Doubs is killing it and he’s looking like what we’d expect from a bonafide Day 2 selection (picked in Rd4). Frankly It’s looking like he’s legit and more in that top 10-12 best College WR drafted type. He’s made a host of big plays already with Rodgers tossing it and Took one away from Stokes, which is very promising this early in. He’s very polished, maybe more so than Christian.

Watkins doesn’t look hurt. He’s jogging around way too loose for hurt. 80% speed, Just easing back in.

Rodgers says he feels like Lazard is going to be a prime candidate for a WR1 role. Rodgers also said he felt like the Yards and TD will be similar, just more of which WR is going up get them. That’s a huge statement.

They’ve got sets with A Jones playing on the LOS as a receiver and Dillon at RB. I think we’ll see more if the 2020 version of that. ~14% usage of both? That pair is one of the best combos we’ve had and a big part of our 2020 success.

Rodgers commented on Cobb that he still thinks he’s got it. He’s not a 1,000 yard guy (my thoughts) but he’s not a slouch Slot receiver and he’s still a Mainstay legit WR3-4 area

We haven’t even discussed Amari or Winfree, who Winfree was mentioned as a camp sweetheart 2 years running now. I think he could be in that Geronimo+ Area. Just please Teach him to protect the ball!

I could see a mid season addition or if someone gets re injured, then an added player maybe.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just read a coaches report they said they expected Watson to be back in several weeks. Right now he’s working out with the Receivers. Although he’s just kinda walking jogging slow through his routes.
Does anyone know when Watson had his surgery and what it was for. Had to be a scope. I think they should play it safe and add a speed guy, an MVS type, just in case.

Lazard, Watkins, and Cobb will get their targets, but they don't have speed. Maybe Doubs?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the surgery took place after the otas and before training camp. as to what it was for, that has not been revealed to my knowledge.
Thanks reality. So likely a scope, maybe to remove some loose stuff from the knee joint. Doesn’t sound like a big deal. I’m just surprised they don’t do these sooner.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just read a coaches report they said they expected Watson to be back in several weeks. Saw recent live film of him working out with the Receivers. Although he’s just kinda walking jogging slow through his routes. From watching him on tape, It doesn’t appear like it’s anything serious at all. More just being careful not to get over zealous too early.

Doubs is killing it and he’s looking like what we’d expect from a bonafide Day 2 selection (picked in Rd4). Frankly It’s looking like he’s legit and more in that top 10-12 best College WR drafted type. He’s made a host of big plays already with Rodgers tossing it and Took one away from Stokes, which is very promising this early in. He’s very polished, maybe more so than Christian.

Watkins doesn’t look hurt. He’s jogging around way too loose for hurt. 80% speed, Just easing back in.

Rodgers says he feels like Lazard is going to be a prime candidate for a WR1 role. Rodgers also said he felt like the Yards and TD will be similar, just more of which WR is going up get them. That’s a huge statement.

They’ve got sets with A Jones playing on the LOS as a receiver and Dillon at RB. I think we’ll see more if the 2020 version of that. ~14% usage of both? That pair is one of the best combos we’ve had and a big part of our 2020 success.

Rodgers commented on Cobb that he still thinks he’s got it. He’s not a 1,000 yard guy (my thoughts) but he’s not a slouch Slot receiver and he’s still a Mainstay legit WR3-4 area

We haven’t even discussed Amari or Winfree, who Winfree was mentioned as a camp sweetheart 2 years running now. I think he could be in that Geronimo+ Area. Just please Teach him to protect the ball!

I could see a mid season addition or if someone gets re injured, then an added player maybe.
My bet is Doubs - Amari - Lazard - Cobb - Watkins.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bet is Doubs - Amari - Lazard - Cobb - Watkins.
To open the season? Yeah this is likely. They'll carry Watson as well on the 53, unless his injury is worse than we've been told. But he has to get healthy, get to camp, and play in the PS. I wish they'd just be straight on the extent of his injury, but that's not how things are done in the NFL.........

Reaction score
To open the season? Yeah this is likely. They'll carry Watson as well on the 53, unless his injury is worse than we've been told. But he has to get healthy, get to camp, and play in the PS. I wish they'd just be straight on the extent of his injury, but that's not how things are done in the NFL.........
I was just thinking. I saw very recent film of Christian Watson walking through drills alongside other Receivers. If he’s on PUP how is he able to do that. I thought PUP meant you couldn’t be on the practice field?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just thinking. I saw very recent film of Christian Watson walking through drills alongside other Receivers. If he’s on PUP how is he able to do that. I thought PUP meant you couldn’t be on the practice field?
That's a good point. During TC, a player on PUP can use the workout room. I didn't think they could take part in drills.

D

Deleted member 6794

Similarly. I don’t put much weight in training camp PUP.

You need to be aware that a player needs to be put on the PUP list before the start of training camp practices to be available for the regular season list.

Other than I agree it doesn't mean a whole lot.

At this point, I don't expect the Packers to make any more moves at WR. They're gonna want 5 or 6 healthy guys for the 53.

I'm absolutely convined the Packers will keep at least six wide receivers on the 53.

Thanks reality. So likely a scope, maybe to remove some loose stuff from the knee joint. Doesn’t sound like a big deal. I’m just surprised they don’t do these sooner.

Watson mentioned that he didn't feel any discomfort in his knee until the final OTAs. Therefore there was no way to do it earlier.

That's a good point. During TC, a player on PUP can use the workout room. I didn't think they could take part in drills.

Players on the PUP list are allowed to get on the field as part of the rehab group. There's no way for them to participate in any practice drills though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to be aware that a player needs to be put on the PUP list before the start of training camp practices to be available for the regular season list.

Other than I agree it doesn't mean a whole lot.

I'm absolutely convined the Packers will keep at least six wide receivers on the 53.

Watson mentioned that he didn't feel any discomfort in his knee until the final OTAs. Therefore there was no way to do it earlier.

Players on the PUP list are allowed to get on the field as part of the rehab group. There's no way for them to participate in any practice drills though.
I didn't know Watson's knee first acted up at the end of OTAs. So they probably scoped it shortly after. Most athletes can return to action pretty quickly because of their conditioning. We should see him back on the field soon if that's the case.

Reaction score
I’m
I didn't know Watson's knee first acted up at the end of OTAs. So they probably scoped it shortly after. Most athletes can return to action pretty quickly because of their conditioning. We should see him back on the field soon if that's the case.
While he was moving at a snails pace in comparison. The fact he’s fast walking around through his pass patterns shows how minor Christians surgery was. I’m no Doctor but if I was? I’d want to be Watson.

Take it all with a grain of salt. I’m not even an orderly. You should see my messy bedroom.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m

While he was moving at a snails pace in comparison. The fact he’s fast walking around through his pass patterns shows how minor Christians surgery was. I’m no Doctor but if I was? I’d want to be Watson.

Take it all with a grain of salt. I’m not even an orderly. You should see my messy bedroom.
Has Watson returned to practice?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A knee scope is a 4-6 week recovery. Watson had surgery in June so he should be back within a week or so. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

Reaction score
Has Watson returned to practice?
My guess is that film we saw of him recently was Christian working with our recovery group.
He was just kinda fast walking through short area pass patterns.

The Packers app has really good weekly posts, interviews, etc.. Larry Mcarren and Wes and Spoff etc..

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts