Wide Receiver Options

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio had 82 receptions for 1,205 yards in only 19 games over the past two seasons. While that's not elite production anymore those numbers are better than any receiver currently on the Packers' roster has put up. He wasn't able to stay healthy though.

Several of the players currently not able to practice suffered season ending injuries last year. Therefore it's no surprise they ended up on the PUP list. I fully expect most of the others to not miss any significant time because of their ailments.
Yeah I mean I think we'd all take that production - 600 yards/season. But the inconsistency due to injuries is really a problem. I know you're leery of this group of WRs - and with good reason - there are retreads, rookies, and career guys who have had trouble hitting 500 yards.

I have a gut feel the group will work out fine. My only reasoning - when you have a group of guys that big, and all with their own motivations and no Davante Adams in the way, something good is bound to happen. I'm not fooling myself, this team will need 4000 yards passing and 35-40 passing TDs. That's comparable to prior years. Even so, a few guys will surprise.

The hard part for me is that it didn't have to be this way. In most respects, Gluten is a fine manager of personnel. But WR was neglected for many years, or filled with day 3 picks. This situation could have been avoided. That, too is just my opinion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling Romeo Doubs could be the surprise major contributor. At least I can hope...
I've been thinking the same thing. He was taken in round 3, right? I haven't watched a lot of his film, but it looks like he runs routes well, he has some moves, and he can catch (from what I saw). Plus how can you go wrong with a name like Romeo? Romeo in Green Bay. Sounds like a Broadway play.

But thinking about it, Watson is the guy with all the pressure. Essentially a first round pick to replace Adams, even though that isn't fair. Well there's nothing fair about pro sports, or life for that matter. Romeo doesn't have the same expectations trailing him. He'll be loose. And that usually means big things.

Reaction score
Julio had 82 receptions for 1,205 yards in only 19 games over the past two seasons. While that's not elite production anymore those numbers are better than any receiver currently on the Packers' roster has put up. He wasn't able to stay healthy though.
It’s such a tough call on Julio. If he wasn’t so darn dynamic through his career he’d already be put out to pasture. Yet you can’t ignore he’s 33 years old, injury prone and in notable decline.
That said, an old Stallion could still give you some 3rd place finishes. $6M was reasonable. For me personally, I’d have to get him in that $3-5M range to make the risk work to benefit.
Just an observation. GM’s seem to hate covering up newer potential with an aging player in their twilight years. We’ve seen this specifically in GB and teams do a hardcore risk assessment before they let a Jordy Nelson type walk. It is a reasonable approach, yet it never fully made sense to me as long as you are in a Win now scenario etc..

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I mean I think we'd all take that production - 600 yards/season. But the inconsistency due to injuries is really a problem.

My point is that Jones has been productive when healthy. Those numbers I posted above prorate to 73 catches for 1,078 yards in a 17-game season.

But, because he hasn't been able to stay healthy in the past two seasons I'm fine with the Packers not having offered to pay him at least $6 million for the upcoming season.

I've been thinking the same thing. He was taken in round 3, right?

Doubs was selected in the fourth round, 132nd overall.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that Jones has been productive when healthy. Those numbers I posted above prorate to 73 catches for 1,078 yards in a 17-game season.

But, because he hasn't been able to stay healthy in the past two seasons I'm fine with the Packers not having offered to pay him at least $6 million for the upcoming season.

Thanks for the update on Doubs. I hope he does well.

And agreed on Jones. Even though he projects to 1000 yards/season based on the last two years, that doesn't mean he'll get there. I would have been ok with a $6 mil contract.

And if I remember correctly, he tends to be a vocal PITA when he's not getting targets. GB doesn't need that, especially from a guy in decline. Anyway, I'm not exactly heartbroken that he went to TB. Until Godwin gets back, they've got Evans. (Well, that's still more than the Packers have......)

Reaction score

I agree with no Julio. Maybe I’d of liked that if it was just stupid money like <$3M or range.
Speaking of options. What do you think the rough probability that we would barter a trade deal to get a Receiver before deadline? We’ve seemingly done it more on the Defensive side etc..

Do you think we are in wait mode to see what we have first?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd just wait and see. If there was someone they really wanted I have a feeling they would have made the trade already.

Now? May as well see who gets cut or if your guys develop. Some young guy makes an older vet off some team expendable etc as we progress through the preseason. yeah more people might be looking later too, but there are going to be options and we'll be able to make a move if we want to.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd just wait and see. If there was someone they really wanted I have a feeling they would have made the trade already.

Now? May as well see who gets cut or if your guys develop. Some young guy makes an older vet off some team expendable etc as we progress through the preseason. yeah more people might be looking later too, but there are going to be options and we'll be able to make a move if we want to.
Agreed Mondio. Gluten did a lot early in the off season, starting with the hire of Rich Bisaccia, used FA without going nuts, and at least so far, seems to have had a decent draft. We have to wait of course to see how things pan out, but I think the team is ready for TC and then ready for what I hope is a great season.

I'm sure there will be some personnel tweaks as August progresses. For right now, all looks pretty good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly think Gute and MLF and honestly for what is out there Rodgers are all content and happy with seeing if the in house guys collectively are what everyone thinks they can be.

I also think the 2022 off season could be the year you see Gute continue to spend money on FAs but this time skill position guys...honestly outside of retention of Jones skill positions in general are not a big spending area for GB and Gute.

However, a TON will be learned this year in Green Bay when it comes to WRs....just what is it they have in Watson, Doubs, Toure, Winfree, Taylor.....just what does it appear Watkins might be able to be for another year or two...does Amari show promise at being Cobb 2.0 type guy working the slot...is Lazard a legit 750 yards, 70 recs, 7 TD type guarantee guy worthy of spending money on?

You don't need all of the following to happen, only a couple of them...but depending which ones are proven to be, could leave GB with a real option to spend some decent capital on someone to pair with what we have on rookie deals here in GB:

-Lazard proves worthy
-Watson shows why or promise as to why many had him a First Rounder
-One of Doubs, Winfree and/or Toure shine through as a STEAL
-Amari takes a step and is comfortable - showing slot of the future promise

Just for notes potential UFAs after this season of note include....many others:

Nelson Agholor - Six straight seasons over 700 yards receiving despite in 2019 seeing just 11 games played even....he has never had less than 671 yards in a season (rookie year). He will be 31 however for 2023...
DK Metcalf - Many rumors nearly had him here anyways...does it happen now?
DJ Chark - I LOVE this young dude...I think if he proves healthy and deadly as always Detroit will resign him.
Allen Lazard* - we know him.

JuJu Smith-Schuster - Is 2022 the year he returns to that promising young stud most thought he could be?
Deebo Samuel - Yikes....he is special.

Some "under the radar guys" I like for the price most likely
Zach Pascal - Honestly, he was stolen on a 1 year deal with Philly this year for $1.5M (dude put up 800 Plus yards three straight seasons in INDY)
Olamide Zaccheaus - Took a few years after being undrafted for him to roll but put up 610 yards and 3 TDs on 31 recepts last season for ATL.

Reaction score
What list does Covid land you on? I can't be the only one that got sick at that soccer tilt.
Good thinking. Anything deemed outside the facility is non football (including previous college injuries for drafted players). No one could really prove he got sick in training. Covid is making its rounds and it’s a realistic probable that’s it.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thinking. Anything deemed outside the facility is non football (including previous college injuries for drafted players). No one could really prove he got sick in training. Covid is making its rounds and it’s a realistic probable that’s it.
Doesn't sound like it's Covid. Reports, if accurate, are saying hamstring.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly think Gute and MLF and honestly for what is out there Rodgers are all content and happy with seeing if the in house guys collectively are what everyone thinks they can be.

I also think the 2022 off season could be the year you see Gute continue to spend money on FAs but this time skill position guys...honestly outside of retention of Jones skill positions in general are not a big spending area for GB and Gute.

However, a TON will be learned this year in Green Bay when it comes to WRs....just what is it they have in Watson, Doubs, Toure, Winfree, Taylor.....just what does it appear Watkins might be able to be for another year or two...does Amari show promise at being Cobb 2.0 type guy working the slot...is Lazard a legit 750 yards, 70 recs, 7 TD type guarantee guy worthy of spending money on?

You don't need all of the following to happen, only a couple of them...but depending which ones are proven to be, could leave GB with a real option to spend some decent capital on someone to pair with what we have on rookie deals here in GB:

-Lazard proves worthy
-Watson shows why or promise as to why many had him a First Rounder
-One of Doubs, Winfree and/or Toure shine through as a STEAL
-Amari takes a step and is comfortable - showing slot of the future promise

Just for notes potential UFAs after this season of note include....many others:

Nelson Agholor - Six straight seasons over 700 yards receiving despite in 2019 seeing just 11 games played even....he has never had less than 671 yards in a season (rookie year). He will be 31 however for 2023...
DK Metcalf - Many rumors nearly had him here anyways...does it happen now?
DJ Chark - I LOVE this young dude...I think if he proves healthy and deadly as always Detroit will resign him.
Allen Lazard* - we know him.

JuJu Smith-Schuster - Is 2022 the year he returns to that promising young stud most thought he could be?
Deebo Samuel - Yikes....he is special.

Some "under the radar guys" I like for the price most likely
Zach Pascal - Honestly, he was stolen on a 1 year deal with Philly this year for $1.5M (dude put up 800 Plus yards three straight seasons in INDY)
Olamide Zaccheaus - Took a few years after being undrafted for him to roll but put up 610 yards and 3 TDs on 31 recepts last season for ATL.
Great summary. I'd love to see GB trade for Metcalf or Samuel. It sounds like Metcalf is going to work out a $25 mil/year deal with Seattle, but that makes no sense to me. Seattle is rebuilding. Trade Metcalf for the draft capital. Similar to Samuel, he just doesn't want to be in SF and paid like a RB. Between the two, I'd take Metcalf. Longer career than Samuel IMO.

Reaction score
Where art our Romeo?
Doubs is Busy Burning Eric Stokes and Kabion Ento for big plays that’s where!:tup:
Interesting James Jones recently said Doubs reminded him of a young version of himself. Let’s hope he’s right

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where art our Romeo?
Doubs is Busy Burning Eric Stokes and Kabion Ento for big plays that’s where!:tup:
Interesting James Jones recently said Doubs reminded him of a young version of himself. Let’s hope he’s right

I said from the get go even before the draft Doubs is a baller and I will go to my grave still believing his ceiling is much higher atm than Watson's. So happy to hear all the reports out of camp of him producing - WITH RODGERS no less. That connection could already be forming while Watkins and Watson cannot do anything.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said from the get go even before the draft Doubs is a baller and I will go to my grave still believing his ceiling is much higher atm than Watson's. So happy to hear all the reports out of camp of him producing - WITH RODGERS no less. That connection could already be forming while Watkins and Watson cannot do anything.
What's wrong with Watson?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's wrong with Watson?
Undisclosed injury they decided to take care of now rather than try to gut through season with the minor issue whatever it was Gute made it sound like. He should be back just fine soon

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Undisclosed injury they decided to take care of now rather than try to gut through season with the minor issue whatever it was Gute made it sound like. He should be back just fine soon
Thanks Ty. Agreed. Better to keep him out for however long to heal and make sure he's ready to go in September. And it's easier to put a guy on PUP to start camp. They can bring him back anytime they want.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Great summary. I'd love to see GB trade for Metcalf or Samuel. It sounds like Metcalf is going to work out a $25 mil/year deal with Seattle, but that makes no sense to me. Seattle is rebuilding. Trade Metcalf for the draft capital. Similar to Samuel, he just doesn't want to be in SF and paid like a RB. Between the two, I'd take Metcalf. Longer career than Samuel IMO.
Metcafe signed ext with Seattle.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dk...trade for him?? Pack would on the hook I believe

Metcalf and the Seahawks have agreed to terms on a three-year, $72 million extension with $58.2 million in guarantees, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported Thursday.
Metcalf is also hauling in a $30 million signing bonus, which is the highest in history for a wide receiver, Garafolo added.

D

Deleted member 6794

Until Godwin gets back, they've got Evans. (Well, that's still more than the Packers have......)

It's interesting to note that despite suffering a torn ACL in week 15 Godwin wasn't placed on the PUP list. He really seems to be ahead of schedule in his recovery.

Speaking of options. What do you think the rough probability that we would barter a trade deal to get a Receiver before deadline? We’ve seemingly done it more on the Defensive side etc..

Do you think we are in wait mode to see what we have first?

I agree with several other posters that the Packers will wait and see how the current receiving corps performs before possibly making a move.

What list does Covid land you on? I can't be the only one that got sick at that soccer tilt.

I guess a player testing positive for COVID would be put on the NFI (non-football injury/illness) list.

Honestly, I'm not in favor of trading for a wide receiver who will end up making nearly as much money as Adams does.

If the Packers need to upgrade the position during this season I would prefer them to make a move like the Rams did with OBJ last year.

Better to keep him out for however long to heal and make sure he's ready to go in September.

Watson desperately needs to get on the practice field as soon as possible. If he stays on the PUP up until close to the season he will have a hard time making an impact this year.

Members online

Latest posts