Wide Receiver Options

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Jones has missed 14 games over the last two seasons because of injuries he has been mostly healthy over his career before that.

I'm quite sure several teams would gamble on him being able to stay healthy if he wouldn't ask for too much money.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure what he's looking for as far as $$$. He's not young anymore - but I think he was making around $22 mil/year before he left Atlanta. He's gonna have to come way down from that it seems. I wouldn't mind at all if the Packers could get him. But they won't just throw money at him and, IMO, Jones doesn't have much leverage anymore (if he ever did). He's running out of time and his value declines the longer he remains unemployed.

Reaction score
One thing that GB (and many other teams) values is player growth. There’s an offset to bring in too many aging veterans. We also thwart the growth of other young players by bringing in too many bodies.
btw.
A Happy Birthday to Sammy, he turned 29 yesterday :tup:

If Julio would sign in the area of a 1yr/$8M type deal or a 2Yr/$14M deal. That’s an area Id be interested. Upwards of that number I’m less interested. I just think these WR need to be peeled off the salary ceiling and come back to planet Earth. I saw a video of him training at the gym several weeks ago, I’m assuming that was this spring. If so, he looked fine physically.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd probably be interested in Julio if it were towards the end of the season and we were not doing well in the passing game due to our receivers.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that GB (and many other teams) values is player growth. There’s an offset to bring in too many aging veterans. We also thwart the growth of other young players by bringing in too many bodies.
btw.
A Happy Birthday to Sammy, he turned 29 yesterday :tup:

If Julio would sign in the area of a 1yr/$8M type deal or a 2Yr/$14M deal. That’s an area Id be interested. Upwards of that number I’m less interested. I just think these WR need to be peeled off the salary ceiling and come back to planet Earth. I saw a video of him training at the gym several weeks ago, I’m assuming that was this spring. If so, he looked fine physically.

Those are excellent points.

Julio may still have some juice left, but there are two things we know for sure about him:

1) He is past his prime

2) He's going to want more money that a rookie or second-year player

3) He's not going to be a big contributor on Special Teams

Those are things working against him, so before GB cuts some 20-something year old that might develop into a serviceable talent to make room for him, the Pack had better be sure he's worth the downside.

Reaction score
Those are excellent points.

Julio may still have some juice left, but there are two things we know for sure about him:

1) He is past his prime

2) He's going to want more money that a rookie or second-year player

3) He's not going to be a big contributor on Special Teams

Those are things working against him, so before GB cuts some 20-something year old that might develop into a serviceable talent to make room for him, the Pack had better be sure he's worth the downside.
That’s where Tyni post comes in. We don’t desperately need him if we are even having the conversation. So wait until closer to trade deadline. At that point we have better understanding of our WR room in real time. If someone went down or we everyone’s worst nightmares come to life.. sign him at a fraction due to much of the season being gone.

I like the idea of being patient. Each year there are several Wideouts in a contract year who get traded before deadline. That’s another Avenue to consider. What I like about being patient? is we might have a complete stud show up early in and not need anyone.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Man, I was all in on Treylon Burks, glad we got Watson. It seems Burks came into Titans OTAs out of shape and overweight, how does one get out of shape from the combine to now? He will likely be okay in the end, but if we picked him and this came up we would never hear the end of it.
I was a big Burks fan, but it sounds like he has asthma. Couple that with not being in top shape and the record high temps in Nashville and you got a rookie that is off to a slow start for sure. As a fan, I'd be more weary of him reporting to his new multimillion dollar job out of shape, than the heat and asthma. I still think he'll be a really good WR, as long as he works hard.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a big Burks fan, but it sounds like he has asthma. Couple that with not being in top shape and the record high temps in Nashville and you got a rookie that is off to a slow start for sure. As a fan, I'd be more weary of him reporting to his new multimillion dollar job out of shape, than the heat and asthma. I still think he'll be a really good WR, as long as he works hard.
Burks struck me as Ty Montgomery 2.0 - no thanks.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio Jones has signed with Tampa.

This pleases me not at all. Between Julio Jones and Sammy Watkins I thought the Packers could--combined--get a season's worth of high level production at WR. If Julio signed a low-dollar deal (we know it's for only one season), I'm really going to be ticked off.

And Christian Watson starts training camp on the PUP list. Just great.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This pleases me not at all. Between Julio Jones and Sammy Watkins I thought the Packers could--combined--get a season's worth of high level production at WR. If Julio signed a low-dollar deal (we know it's for only one season), I'm really going to be ticked off.

I'm ticked off too, but it might be that JJ simply wanted to play in TB rather than GB. Godwin tore his ACL late in the season, late in December. He'll likely miss the first two months. In that case, TB may have simply outbid GB.

And Watson is on PUP????? So is Bakh? What a start.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ticked off too, but it might be that JJ simply wanted to play in TB rather than GB. Godwin tore his ACL late in the season, late in December. He'll likely miss the first two months. In that case, TB may have simply outbid GB.

And Watson is on PUP????? So is Bakh? What a start.
Some players just don't want to play in GB.

JJ is comfortable in the South, warm weather, and close to home.

Tom Brady along with targets available on a contending team is gravy.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And now Sammy Watkins is on the Non-Football Injury (NFI) list. WTF?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we all just realize that Gute doesn’t think the receiver position is that difficult to fill? That or MLF has told Gute he doesn’t prioritize the position that highly (outside of blocking of course).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some players just don't want to play in GB.

JJ is comfortable in the South, warm weather, and close to home.

Tom Brady along with targets available on a contending team is gravy.
Yeah I can see why he'd take TB over GB. And losing JJ isn't a huge hit. His last two years have been awful. He may just be done.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we all just realize that Gute doesn’t think the receiver position is that difficult to fill? That or MLF has told Gute he doesn’t prioritize the position that highly (outside of blocking of course).
It's possible, or maybe Gluten and MLF believe they have enough talent and that it will prove itself. I did see an article in the Athletic where GB trades for Nelson Agholor. I don't know. They might pick up a cap hit somewhere during cut downs. I trust Gluten and MLF (and Rodgers) with whatever they go with.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible, or maybe Gluten and MLF believe they have enough talent and that it will prove itself. I did see an article in the Athletic where GB trades for Nelson Agholor. I don't know. They might pick up a cap hit somewhere during cut downs. I trust Gluten and MLF (and Rodgers) with whatever they go with.

I'm fine with the WR corp at this point.

Every WR has something to prove, names on the jerseys won't matter, just production.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me that Jones isn't going to be a Packer. I think he'd just hold back guys who could start to step up. I think they made an offer, it wasn't good enough so.... No Julio in GB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me that Jones isn't going to be a Packer. I think he'd just hold back guys who could start to step up. I think they made an offer, it wasn't good enough so.... No Julio in GB.
Correct. It's not a big deal and the Packers may have saved themselves a headache in the locker room. Better to let that happen in TB.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And now Sammy Watkins is on the Non-Football Injury (NFI) list. WTF?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Didn't take too long for the injury train to catch up with him. In all seriousness, training camp hasn't even started and 10 guys are already injured. Kind of makes a mockery of the team's conditioning. They can get hurt without even putting the pads on.

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I mean for years it was Adams with a sprinkle of MVS. I'm ok with this lineup and feel certain 2 or 3 guys will rise to the top.
Exactly. Also keep in mind that in the 2021 season we essentially had
1- WR1 (1250+)
1- WR3 (500+)
2- WR4 (350+)
2- WR6 (<100)

Now we will likely see
2- WR2 (750+)
1- WR3 (500+)
2- WR4 (350+)
1- WR6 (<100)

The difference being in the earlier scenario you absolutely cannot afford your #1 to miss any significant time. We were very fortunate that Adams missed very little time. As we saw with Adams when he misses 4+ games he’s never surpassed a 2WR+ area (e.g, 2019). Here you get a more dynamic feel, but you just must count on near perfect health at the top. As your WR1 ages (more susceptible to missing additional time) you really should have a better contingency mix than a 1-WR3 as your primary contingency.

In the latter scenario you get a more robust feel. If you lose 1 WR2 or WR3? You’ve got better contingency options in system.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I can see why he'd take TB over GB. And losing JJ isn't a huge hit. His last two years have been awful. He may just be done.

Julio had 82 receptions for 1,205 yards in only 19 games over the past two seasons. While that's not elite production anymore those numbers are better than any receiver currently on the Packers' roster has put up. He wasn't able to stay healthy though.

In all seriousness, training camp hasn't even started and 10 guys are already injured. Kind of makes a mockery of the team's conditioning. They can get hurt without even putting the pads on.

Several of the players currently not able to practice suffered season ending injuries last year. Therefore it's no surprise they ended up on the PUP list. I fully expect most of the others to not miss any significant time because of their ailments.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And Sammy Watkins on the NFI list.

Still, it's July. No need to sweat this stuff now.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yah. I was disappointed as well.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't take too long for the injury train to catch up with him. In all seriousness, training camp hasn't even started and 10 guys are already injured. Kind of makes a mockery of the team's conditioning. They can get hurt without even putting the pads on.
I got the feeling Sammy's injuries are more to do with his lack of mental toughness.
Seems anytime he gets sore and gets some bumps and bruises he ***** and whine that he hurt and can't play. Common man wtf. Dude is s b...h and don't belong in the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts