Wide Receiver Options

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know my love for Doubs so I love seeing him crack your list. He'd be my darkhorse just off my list. Honestly I should have flipped cobb and Watson. Doubs to me has a very similar chance to Cobb at hitting it.
NBD as long as we're both right! Yeah I really like that guy. He's aggressive, he's flexible, he appears to already be a good route runner. Nothing would make me happier than for him to succeed.

Reaction score
I work backwards and I believe Rodgers will throw for a little over 4,000 yards this year. To me, that means someone is gonna get 1,000 yards and it's most likely gone be Watkins. My ranking is a little different than yours, but not much - Watkins, Lazard, Watson, Doubs. Cobb gets injured too easily and I don't remember the last time he had a 1,000 yard season. His real value will be as a mentor/coach to the new guys.

And anticipating some feedback, yeah Watkins gets injured a lot too. Not this year.
I’m with you, I think a close 2nd list is Watkins, Watson, Lazard, Cobb/Doubs
Aaron Rodgers is determining factor and he’s the doorkeeper to the key that unlocks the production. It’s my belief that Aaron Rodgers had a direct say on the Christian Watson draft pick, which means he’s mentally invested in his success and will not want his first choice to fail (hence the immediate personal phone call from Aaron to Christian)

As Packer fans, we kinda all know how Aaron Rodgers operates. If he truly had say on drafting Watson, come hell or high water Christian will get tested and tested often.
It’s Anyones guess as to their usage because much will be determined in camp-preseason timeframe.

I also say Watson because he’s arguably one of 3 most physically dominant and athletic WR drafted since DK Metcalf… leaguewide. If he had been in a FBS powerhouse West Coast Offense rather than S.D.? The Packers wouldn’t have sniffed him this draft. He would’ve had 60+ catches at 17.0 per

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And something tells me Gluten isn't done with the WR group yet. I think Julio Jones is available, and if he could get past his ego, GB could afford him. And who knows who might get cut for cap reasons.

I wanted Julio over Watkins, BUT I think Gute likes what he has and will wait and see….that’s why I place a bigger bet on OBJ wearing a G now over Julio…but I’d take either for very different reasons.

Reaction score
I wanted Julio over Watkins, BUT I think Gute likes what he has and will wait and see….that’s why I place a bigger bet on OBJ wearing a G now over Julio…but I’d take either for very different reasons.
I think OBJ proved he’s still formidable. It just might be that GB tests their WR room first and uses that Avenue as a contingency plan. Lots can change (both good or bad) by midseason.

I do like that his contract would be prorated if OBJ comes back after mid-season. While I think it would be intriguing to have Julio, it’s really a more ideal financial scenario to get OBJ for 1/2 season.

The good news is that as the weeks tick by, any FA Receiving option gets cheaper. Also as those FA diminish, on the flip side there will be several trade scenarios coming into focus before deadline.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well the TE group is probably in worse shape than the WR group.

I don't consider the tight end group to be worse than the receiving corps entering the season but in my opinion both of them are huge question marks though.

The posed question was "Who between Watkins and Lazard would you prefer plays their way into a contract extension for another year or two or an offseason signing of similar length once this season is done?"

If posed that question who you got?

I would prefer Watkins to be the guy as well. He has definitely a much higher ceiling that Lazard if he's able to stay healthy.

Doesn't Watkins have a ring?

Yeah, Watkins won the Super Bowl with the Chiefs in 2019. He has as many rings as Rodgers.

Finally, it's a little scary to think that Watkins may be a #2 or even #3 WR. I'd much rather have someone else step up.

I'm not sure you wanted to say Watkins here. The Packers would be in great shape if a healthy Watkins was their #3 receiver and most likely in a good situation with him being the #2.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think OBJ proved he’s still formidable. It just might be that GB tests their WR room first and uses that Avenue as a contingency plan. Lots can change (both good or bad) by midseason.

I do like that his contract would be prorated if OBJ comes back after mid-season. While I think it would be intriguing to have Julio, it’s really a more ideal financial scenario to get OBJ for 1/2 season.

The good news is that as the weeks tick by, any FA Receiving option gets cheaper. Also as those FA diminish, on the flip side there will be several trade scenarios coming into focus before deadline.
OBJ had ACL surgery on Feb. 22, 2022...14 months after ACL surgery on the same knee. He won't be available to ANY team before the playoffs, which would be less than 11 months from his surgery at the earliest. Tonyan had ACL surgery some time in November '21, so he should be available 2-3 months sooner than OBJ, theoretically.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot about OBJ. He'll be ready to play, I would guess, by December (hopefully earlier). He'd be a nice addition. It seemed like he behaved himself well with the Rams. Sometimes it takes a while for these guys to grow up. But head case or not, his talent can't be denied. And he should be even more settled down now that he has a ring. I compare him to Andre Rison. Not on talent, but on bad boy who grows up and helps a team win a SB.

I also would have preferred Julio Jones over Watkins. But I think JJ was making $22 mil/year and I'm sure his salary demands are not synced with his potential anymore, and that would explain why he hasn't signed. I also don't know how much cap room the Packers have.

Finally, you're probably right and Gluten is content to run with the WR group he has. It would be great if Watson and Doubs started off fast - GB could certainly benefit from high impact players on rookie deals.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider the tight end group to be worse than the receiving corps entering the season but in my opinion both of them are huge question marks though.

I would prefer Watkins to be the guy as well. He has definitely a much higher ceiling that Lazard if he's able to stay healthy.

Yeah, Watkins won the Super Bowl with the Chiefs in 2019. He has as many rings as Rodgers.

I'm not sure you wanted to say Watkins here. The Packers would be in great shape if a healthy Watkins was their #3 receiver and most likely in a good situation with him being the #2.
That's fine if Watkins can produce and is a #2 or even a #3 WR. Then the question is who takes the #1 and/or #2 spot?

I'm just looking at this from an experience standpoint. Lazard has been a reliable #3 WR. No more, no less. Does the departure of Adams give him a chance to move up? Sure, it he can take it. Same for Watkins.

I think Watkins emerges as the #1 WR, with Lazard #2. It could be reversed - but based on their experience, either one could rise to be the #1 WR. I just think it will be Watkins.

It might be better to just look at total passing yards and TDs this year, without regard (yet) to who is on the receiving end. So I'm optimistically looking for 4.000 yards passing, and 35 to 40 TDs. That's aggressive, I know. But the Packers have Rodgers, some decent veterans and some promising rookies. The RB's will see more passes, and the TE group probably contributes 800 yards and 5 to 7 TDs. That's about the best I can break it down until we see how guys react when the bright lights come on.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fine if Watkins can produce and is a #2 or even a #3 WR. Then the question is who takes the #1 and/or #2 spot?

I'm just looking at this from an experience standpoint. Lazard has been a reliable #3 WR. No more, no less. Does the departure of Adams give him a chance to move up? Sure, it he can take it. Same for Watkins.

I think Watkins emerges as the #1 WR, with Lazard #2. It could be reversed - but based on their experience, either one could rise to be the #1 WR. I just think it will be Watkins.

It might be better to just look at total passing yards and TDs this year, without regard (yet) to who is on the receiving end. So I'm optimistically looking for 4.000 yards passing, and 35 to 40 TDs. That's aggressive, I know. But the Packers have Rodgers, some decent veterans and some promising rookies. The RB's will see more passes, and the TE group probably contributes 800 yards and 5 to 7 TDs. That's about the best I can break it down until we see how guys react when the bright lights come on.
I don't think this year's Packers will have a traditional #1 or #2 if that's what people are looking for. I think you'll see bunch of spread-it-around to 3-4 WR's, TE's, and RB's will catch more than in the past.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this year's Packers will have a traditional #1 or #2 if that's what people are looking for. I think you'll see bunch of spread-it-around to 3-4 WR's, TE's, and RB's will catch more than in the past.
That sounds very likely. Well said.

Reaction score
OBJ had ACL surgery on Feb. 22, 2022...14 months after ACL surgery on the same knee. He won't be available to ANY team before the playoffs, which would be less than 11 months from his surgery at the earliest. Tonyan had ACL surgery some time in November '21, so he should be available 2-3 months sooner than OBJ, theoretically.
Oh yeah. Totally slipped my mind.
I wonder how that works if OBJ did sign a contract but only plays a couple playoff games? How do they pay him on a per game? Hypothetical

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Maybe next year one of the rookies emerges, but not this year. It might actually be an advantage for Rodgers to have multiple targets. IDK. Will surely miss Adams........

D

Deleted member 6794

I also don't know how much cap room the Packers have.

The Packers currently have $16.8 million of cap space, which is the fourth most in the league at this point.

My point was that it's not concerning having Watkins as your #2 or #3 receiver as that would mean someone else would perform at a better level than him. It would actually be more troubling if he ends up as the #1 WR despite not putting up impressive numbers.

I wonder how that works if OBJ did sign a contract but only plays a couple playoff games? How do they pay him on a per game? Hypothetical

That's a great question. As far as I know a player signed for the playoffs only could earn a maximum of $317K next season. That's only if their team ends up winning the Super Bowl though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers currently have $16.8 million of cap space, which is the fourth most in the league at this point.

My point was that it's not concerning having Watkins as your #2 or #3 receiver as that would mean someone else would perform at a better level than him. It would actually be more troubling if he ends up as the #1 WR despite not putting up impressive numbers.

That's a great question. As far as I know a player signed for the playoffs only could earn a maximum of $317K next season. That's only if their team ends up winning the Super Bowl though.
Thanks for the cap update. I'm assuming a lot of that came from extending Alexander. I suppose they could make a run at Julio Jones. But he's been on the FA market for so long, I'm more concerned with his health than salary demands.

And yeah, the worst case is Watkins (or any WR) putting up 600 yards and that makes him the #1 WR. Ouch. I don't care how he does it, I just want Rodgers to put up another 4,000 yard season and 35 - 40 TDs. That's a lot to ask given the state of the WR and TE groups. But who knows? MLF is very good at adjusting his game plan for the players he has, and Rodgers can make an average receiver look great. I think all will be fine with the passing game, but that's pure intuition. I admit that there's only heart, not logic, behind it. (And I don't think Gluten is done making additions or changes to the WRs and TEs.)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the cap update. I'm assuming a lot of that came from extending Alexander. I suppose they could make a run at Julio Jones. But he's been on the FA market for so long, I'm more concerned with his health than salary demands.

And yeah, the worst case is Watkins (or any WR) putting up 600 yards and that makes him the #1 WR. Ouch. I don't care how he does it, I just want Rodgers to put up another 4,000 yard season and 35 - 40 TDs. That's a lot to ask given the state of the WR and TE groups. But who knows? MLF is very good at adjusting his game plan for the players he has, and Rodgers can make an average receiver look great. I think all will be fine with the passing game, but that's pure intuition. I admit that there's only heart, not logic, behind it. (And I don't think Gluten is done making additions or changes to the WRs and TEs.)

My guess is right now they are just looking at what they have in training camp before they commit to using up any cap space. An injury here or there, or a perceived weakness at a position may lead to adding a veteran, and not necessarily a wide receiver.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is right now they are just looking at what they have in training camp before they commit to using up any cap space. An injury here or there, or a perceived weakness at a position may lead to adding a veteran, and not necessarily a wide receiver.
Good point. And for that they'll need some insurance $$$.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. And if they don't need to spend the money; they will be able to use it for extensions. Not sure who is up but one of these days Jenkins will need to get paid and hopefully we will be able to do it.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers gained $6 million in cap space for this season by extending Alexander.

I think Julio Jones still asking for too much money is the main reason he remains unsigned.

Agreed. And if they don't need to spend the money; they will be able to use it for extensions. Not sure who is up but one of these days Jenkins will need to get paid and hopefully we will be able to do it.

Jenkins is set to become a free agent after the 2022 season. Here's a list of players only being under contract for another year.

Reaction score
I think Julio Jones still asking for too much money is the main reason he remains unsigned.
I agree.
My guess is he’s in that $12-$18M area in HIS mind. My other guess is that no teams are even close.
His FA offers are probably all well south <$10M.

My guess is he’s already be on a team if he took $6-8M range. However, with time, his value will diminish before it goes up

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.
My guess is he’s in that $12-$18M area in HIS mind. My other guess is that no teams are even close.
His FA offers are probably all well south <$10M.

My guess is he’s already be on a team if he took $6-8M range. However, with time, his value will diminish before it goes up
Yeah it's hard to say. It's almost certain no one is willing to give him what he wants, and yeah that's probably if the $12-$18 mil range.

OR he has been checked out and has been deemed a big injury risk. Not sure that's the case because someone would have reported it.

If he's healthy, he's worth $10 mil tops. I mean if MVS can get that......... I'd rather see $6-$8 mil. That sounds fair for an outstanding but oft injured receiver possibly playing his last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

OR he has been checked out and has been deemed a big injury risk. Not sure that's the case because someone would have reported it.

That sounds fair for an outstanding but oft injured receiver possibly playing his last season.

While Jones has missed 14 games over the last two seasons because of injuries he has been mostly healthy over his career before that.

I'm quite sure several teams would gamble on him being able to stay healthy if he wouldn't ask for too much money.

Members online

Latest posts