Wide Receiver Options

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Jones has missed 14 games over the last two seasons because of injuries he has been mostly healthy over his career before that.

I'm quite sure several teams would gamble on him being able to stay healthy if he wouldn't ask for too much money.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure what he's looking for as far as $$$. He's not young anymore - but I think he was making around $22 mil/year before he left Atlanta. He's gonna have to come way down from that it seems. I wouldn't mind at all if the Packers could get him. But they won't just throw money at him and, IMO, Jones doesn't have much leverage anymore (if he ever did). He's running out of time and his value declines the longer he remains unemployed.

Reaction score
One thing that GB (and many other teams) values is player growth. There’s an offset to bring in too many aging veterans. We also thwart the growth of other young players by bringing in too many bodies.
btw.
A Happy Birthday to Sammy, he turned 29 yesterday :tup:

If Julio would sign in the area of a 1yr/$8M type deal or a 2Yr/$14M deal. That’s an area Id be interested. Upwards of that number I’m less interested. I just think these WR need to be peeled off the salary ceiling and come back to planet Earth. I saw a video of him training at the gym several weeks ago, I’m assuming that was this spring. If so, he looked fine physically.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd probably be interested in Julio if it were towards the end of the season and we were not doing well in the passing game due to our receivers.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that GB (and many other teams) values is player growth. There’s an offset to bring in too many aging veterans. We also thwart the growth of other young players by bringing in too many bodies.
btw.
A Happy Birthday to Sammy, he turned 29 yesterday :tup:

If Julio would sign in the area of a 1yr/$8M type deal or a 2Yr/$14M deal. That’s an area Id be interested. Upwards of that number I’m less interested. I just think these WR need to be peeled off the salary ceiling and come back to planet Earth. I saw a video of him training at the gym several weeks ago, I’m assuming that was this spring. If so, he looked fine physically.

Those are excellent points.

Julio may still have some juice left, but there are two things we know for sure about him:

1) He is past his prime

2) He's going to want more money that a rookie or second-year player

3) He's not going to be a big contributor on Special Teams

Those are things working against him, so before GB cuts some 20-something year old that might develop into a serviceable talent to make room for him, the Pack had better be sure he's worth the downside.

Reaction score
Those are excellent points.

Julio may still have some juice left, but there are two things we know for sure about him:

1) He is past his prime

2) He's going to want more money that a rookie or second-year player

3) He's not going to be a big contributor on Special Teams

Those are things working against him, so before GB cuts some 20-something year old that might develop into a serviceable talent to make room for him, the Pack had better be sure he's worth the downside.
That’s where Tyni post comes in. We don’t desperately need him if we are even having the conversation. So wait until closer to trade deadline. At that point we have better understanding of our WR room in real time. If someone went down or we everyone’s worst nightmares come to life.. sign him at a fraction due to much of the season being gone.

I like the idea of being patient. Each year there are several Wideouts in a contract year who get traded before deadline. That’s another Avenue to consider. What I like about being patient? is we might have a complete stud show up early in and not need anyone.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Man, I was all in on Treylon Burks, glad we got Watson. It seems Burks came into Titans OTAs out of shape and overweight, how does one get out of shape from the combine to now? He will likely be okay in the end, but if we picked him and this came up we would never hear the end of it.
I was a big Burks fan, but it sounds like he has asthma. Couple that with not being in top shape and the record high temps in Nashville and you got a rookie that is off to a slow start for sure. As a fan, I'd be more weary of him reporting to his new multimillion dollar job out of shape, than the heat and asthma. I still think he'll be a really good WR, as long as he works hard.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a big Burks fan, but it sounds like he has asthma. Couple that with not being in top shape and the record high temps in Nashville and you got a rookie that is off to a slow start for sure. As a fan, I'd be more weary of him reporting to his new multimillion dollar job out of shape, than the heat and asthma. I still think he'll be a really good WR, as long as he works hard.
Burks struck me as Ty Montgomery 2.0 - no thanks.

Members online