Wide Receiver Options

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah if DeGuarra was coming on last year, I missed it. He reminds me of Richard Rodgers. Soft hands and heavy legs. I hope Ty is right and he emerges this year as an offensive threat. I just don't remember seeing anything to suggest that. But hey, guys make jumps year to year. With Tonyan out DeGuarra has a chance to shine. I hope he takes it and I hope Ty is right about him.

His production was doing nothing but increasing once Tonyan was out. Week 8 I highlighted was Tonyan's injury. Deguara saw his targets once Tonyan was out (week 9 on) average 3.22 a game. During Tonyan's big year people discuss in 2020 his average per game was 3.68 a game. Tonyan's yards per game in that season was 36.6 vs Degaura's (wk 9 on) last year being 24.11.

No he wasn't as unfire as Tonyan was that year - but he was used honestly a lot given he was essentially a redshirt rookie, but the one thing Deguara proved in college was that he can catch and produce yards in the passing attack.

Do I suspect he has a break out year in 2022...depends. I truly think he will put up 500/550 yards and 4/5 TDs if Tonyan is not fully back to normal. IF Tonyan is healthy, I still think Deguara even as probably the 3rd most snaps for a TE on our team could produce 300 yards and 2/3 TDs

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His production was doing nothing but increasing once Tonyan was out. Week 8 I highlighted was Tonyan's injury. Deguara saw his targets once Tonyan was out (week 9 on) average 3.22 a game. During Tonyan's big year people discuss in 2020 his average per game was 3.68 a game. Tonyan's yards per game in that season was 36.6 vs Degaura's (wk 9 on) last year being 24.11.

No he wasn't as unfire as Tonyan was that year - but he was used honestly a lot given he was essentially a redshirt rookie, but the one thing Deguara proved in college was that he can catch and produce yards in the passing attack.

Do I suspect he has a break out year in 2022...depends. I truly think he will put up 500/550 yards and 4/5 TDs if Tonyan is not fully back to normal. IF Tonyan is healthy, I still think Deguara even as probably the 3rd most snaps for a TE on our team could produce 300 yards and 2/3 TDs
Thanks for the info. I think Tonyan gets back around week 4 or 5. That gives DeGuarra time to prove he's a go-to TE for picking up yards and TDs. And hopefully Tonyan returns to 2020 form and we have two TEs who can split the seam and serve as weapons in the red zone.

Reaction score
1 season is too little to make a judgement on Amari Rodgers yet you consider him a veteran? Please make up my mind.
Yes. Amari Rodgers honeymoon is over.

Now if you want to argue “seasoned” veteran or not? I might get on board with that argument. Amari isn’t a Rookie.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Amari Rodgers honeymoon is over.

Now if you want to argue “seasoned” veteran or not? I might get on board with that argument. Amari isn’t a Rookie.
I think Amari Rodgers is going to have a very hard time just making the team.

Reaction score
I think Amari Rodgers is going to have a very hard time just making the team.
I don’t.

It would be highly unusual to spend a 3rd round pick on a WR and give up on him before his second season.

The only realistic example I can think of that’s even close is J’mon Moore (4th Rounder). Beyond that, when is the last time a GB WR drafted in Day 2 was sent out to pasture before a 2nd regular season appearance? (Excluding a career type injury)

Anything is possible, but it would be an anomaly

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t.

It would be highly unusual to spend a 3rd round pick on a WR and give up on him before his second season.

The only realistic example I can think of that’s even close is J’mon Moore (4th Rounder). Beyond that, when is the last time a GB WR drafted in Day 2 was sent out to pasture before a 2nd regular season appearance? (Excluding a career type injury)

Anything is possible, but it would be an anomaly
Good points. And I need to change my opinion. I think he'll make the team (unless he falls apart in camp) but don't think he'll last for more than another season.

You're right, one year is not enough time to evaluate any draftee from the second day.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points. And I need to change my opinion. I think he'll make the team (unless he falls apart in camp) but don't think he'll last for more than another season.

You're right, one year is not enough time to evaluate any draftee from the second day.

Right now he is the heir to Cobb's starting pure slot WR, the dude was built for the role. It was never his ability, physical tools or anything other than between the ears last year. He didn't capitalize early on chances and pressed clear as day. One way to combat that is over-train and over-work everyone else - build the confidence you lacked by the effort you exert in the offseason. Amari doesn't have to put up numbers this year honestly to prove he is Cobbs' heir, he just has to be ready and attack the snaps he gets - not respond to the snap like he did last year.

Reaction score

Outside chance he gets stashed in PS (but doubtful) Although I think he’d get poached, Just my opinion.

Early reports are that Amari came into this camp in top-top shape and more confident. I believe it’s the competition that brings out the best in players. We’ve got lots of guys vying for a starting job

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside chance he gets stashed in PS (but doubtful) Although I think he’d get poached, Just my opinion.

Early reports are that Amari came into this camp in top-top shape and more confident. I believe it’s the competition that brings out the best in players. We’ve got lots of guys vying for a starting job
I agree, it's all about competition and who is surrounding him this year

Minus Davante obviously, this is an overall more talent WR room this season already ...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now he is the heir to Cobb's starting pure slot WR, the dude was built for the role. It was never his ability, physical tools or anything other than between the ears last year. He didn't capitalize early on chances and pressed clear as day. One way to combat that is over-train and over-work everyone else - build the confidence you lacked by the effort you exert in the offseason. Amari doesn't have to put up numbers this year honestly to prove he is Cobbs' heir, he just has to be ready and attack the snaps he gets - not respond to the snap like he did last year.
I think it comes down to he has to play better to stay on the team next year. I agree that his problem last year seemed to be in his head. He should have been an effective slot receiver and PR. When they signed Moore mid season to return punts you could clearly see that a successful returner attacks, north and south. Amari spent too much time thinking. I hope he has a great year.

Reaction score
I think it comes down to he has to play better to stay on the team next year. I agree that his problem last year seemed to be in his head. He should have been an effective slot receiver and PR. When they signed Moore mid season to return punts you could clearly see that a successful returner attacks, north and south. Amari spent too much time thinking. I hope he has a great year.
That Rookie season can really be like a first stage performance. Surprised he even remembered his lines, much less the lack of enthusiasm in selling them to the audience.

Confidence comes from experience. Elvis Presley used to hang his head down on stage early in his career. It was obvious he was scared to death

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Rookie season can really be like a first stage performance. Surprised he even remembered his lines, much less the lack of enthusiasm in selling them to the audience.

Confidence comes from experience. Elvis Presley used to hang his head down on stage early in his career. It was obvious he was scared to death
Now that you mention it, it's surprising that more rookies don't experience some stage fright their first year. It's a huge change from college where these guys are pretty much coddled. When you're drafted, even in the first round, you're still the "new guy". And first rounders have even more pressure.

I know they get paid a lot of money. They're still human though.

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, it's surprising that more rookies don't experience some stage fright their first year. It's a huge change from college where these guys are pretty much coddled. When you're drafted, even in the first round, you're still the "new guy". And first rounders have even more pressure.

I know they get paid a lot of money. They're still human though.
Yeah. The more they get accustomed and relaxed the less they play thinking mechanical. I used to enjoy how Favre would kinda goof off during games. He’d be super relaxed by about the second series of each game. So much so he’d slap a referees hindside. His MO was to overthrow his guy the first couple throws though.

That’s why that The TD throw early against NE in the SB was so incredible. I think he surprised himself!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. The more they get accustomed and relaxed the less they play thinking mechanical. I used to enjoy how Favre would kinda goof off during games. He’d be super relaxed by about the second series of each game. So much so he’d slap a referees hindside. His MO was to overthrow his guy the first couple throws though.

That’s why that The TD throw early against NE in the SB was so incredible. I think he surprised himself!
I still remember that TD. Andre Rison, right?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm only going off of precisely what we saw the last half of the season. Trending towards a yard mark similar to Tonyan in 2020. IF Tonyan is healthy, I see no reason why the TE room cannot chip in 1,000 yards receiving in the air attack which will primarily come from Tonyan and Deguara.

I hope you're right but I'm not as confident as you're.

It seems you and I see the WR situation a little differently. That's fine. I think they'll step up as will Rodgers. I don't think you're convinced but if I'm wrong and you feel otherwise, let me know.

You're right, I'm not confident in the receiving corps at all. I hope they prove me wrong though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right but I'm not as confident as you're.

You're right, I'm not confident in the receiving corps at all. I hope they prove me wrong though.

I went back historically and 1,000 yards might be touch more...but not unreachable if they take just a hair more of a role in 2022.

Last three seasons:

2021 TEs had - 732
2020 TEs had - 845
2019 TEs had - 800 (if you include Vitale 703 if not.)

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'm sure the roster has been posted already, but this thread is 45 pages long. Apologies if I'm repeating thoughts here.

This is the post draft list of our receivers. With the comings and goings of players in the offseason it might have changed.
Current WRs: Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Rodgers, Watson, Doubs, Toure, Winfree, Taylor, Blair, Davis, Gafford

I think Lazard will come around, but with his status up in the air it would be wise to bring in another vet. There's a few guys out there that I wouldn't mind the Packers kicking the tires on. There's some obvious ones out there. Julio, Fuller, Beasley, Beckham... I don't think they can go into the season with just the current roster. Time will tell.

Watkins and Cobb are the only real receivers I "trust". Watson will be a work in progress. I don't think he was really drafted to step right in and replace Adams. I'm actually more excited about Doubs. He reminds me a ton of Jennings coming out of Western Michigan. Small school guy that tore it up and made a smooth transition to the NFL. I think he has the chance to be a starter quicker than Watson. The other guy I've read good things about is Winfree. Again, just going through that list makes me uncomfortable with the receiving room at this time.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went back historically and 1,000 yards might be touch more...but not unreachable if they take just a hair more of a role in 2022.

Last three seasons:

2021 TEs had - 732
2020 TEs had - 845
1,000 yards is basically a 20% increase from the highest year from above. IMO that will not happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1,000 yards is basically a 20% increase from the highest year from above. IMO that will not happen.

I don't disagree. I could see an uptick for sure - but a 20% production increase out of the TEs would mean a massive decrease by either the RBs (don't see it) or WRs in the passing game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last three seasons:

2021 TEs had - 732
2020 TEs had - 845
Thanks Ty. That's pretty consistent yardage. I hope they can do it. I'm optimistic about the WRs. TEs, not so much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Ty. That's pretty consistent yardage. I hope they can do it. I'm optimistic about the WRs. TEs, not so much.

My prediction of an increase and 1,000 yards not being unrealistic for the TE room might be a little too optimistic - but I do suspect they will yet again provide 700-800 yards of production.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction of an increase and 1,000 yards not being unrealistic for the TE room might be a little too optimistic - but I do suspect they will yet again provide 700-800 yards of production.
Well it's no more or less logical than my faith in the WRs. And a lot of my optimism comes down to 1) overall, this is a very talented team and 2) MLF has shown he's capable of coaching for the personnel he's got.

Anyway, I hope we're both right.

D

Deleted member 6794

Watson will be a work in progress. I don't think he was really drafted to step right in and replace Adams.

I agree it's completely unrealistic to expect Watson to replace Adams. He was drafted to contribute from the get-go though.

The tight ends improving on the production over past seasons would take pressure off the wide receivers to contribute this season. I'm not sure it will happen either though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts