Wide Receiver Options

Reaction score
I’m seeing that Romeo Doubs has been one of the more smooth receivers out there in early looks. I’ve got this feeling he’s going to be a guy that transitions fairly early. He looks really comfortable in practice. Very Good hands.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m seeing that Romeo Doubs has been one of the more smooth receivers out there in early looks. I’ve got this feeling he’s going to be a guy that transitions fairly early. He looks really comfortable in practice. Very Good hands.
That's good to hear Oldschool, thanks. Maybe because he was drafted later he's playing with lower expectations and more relaxed. One of the less desirable parts of getting drafted early is the expectation that the player will have an immediate impact. That's rarely the case but it's human nature. Just like MVS and even ESB outplayed J'mon Moore. Moore was a 4th rounder but the highest of the three. Now he's in the USFL.

And Romeo Doubs (dobbs) sounds like a great receiver. Like OBJ! Hey, we can hope.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know you're concerned with that WR group, as any sensible fan would be. I just have a hunch that Rodgers makes all of them play well past their pay grade.

In my opinion a lot of fans are too optimistic about Rodgers' ability to turn some scrubs and JAGs into a solid receiving corps.

While I agree he will make them better he needs the group to showcase some talent for the passing offense to work as well.

Yeah Christian Ponder was pretty bad. Did Jennings play for anyone else?

Jennings played two seasons in Minnesota, actually putting up decent numbers (127 receptions for 1,546 yards and 10 TD) considering he had Bridgewater, Cassel, Ponder and Freeman throwing him the ball.

He played another season with the Dolphins in 2015 but mostly wasn't a starter for them anymore, catching only 19 balls for 208 yards and a score.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion a lot of fans are too optimistic about Rodgers' ability to turn some scrubs and JAGs into a solid receiving corps.

While I agree he will make them better he needs the group to showcase some talent for the passing offense to work as well.

Jennings played two seasons in Minnesota, actually putting up decent numbers (127 receptions for 1,546 yards and 10 TD) considering he had Bridgewater, Cassel, Ponder and Freeman throwing him the ball.

He played another season with the Dolphins in 2015 but mostly wasn't a starter for them anymore, catching only 19 balls for 208 yards and a score.
Thanks for the update on Jennings.

I agree that the receivers need to show some talent as well to work with Rodgers. I have a gut feeling it will work, there's no science behind it. And it better work, because while Lazard is probably the best of the lot right now, he's still WR #3 on the Packers. They need one guy to step up and have a decent, 1,000 yd, 8-10 TD season. That will likely be Lazard, Watkins (not Watson), or some other veteran they may yet acquire.

But I'm sensible, so my guess is that MLF and Barry are drawing up a revised playbook that is heavy on running and aggressive on defense. It's great that they have - probably - a top 5 D on paper. They need to prove it during the season. And with a weakened offense, they need to be ballhawks and generate TOs.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on Jennings.

I agree that the receivers need to show some talent as well to work with Rodgers. I have a gut feeling it will work, there's no science behind it. And it better work, because while Lazard is probably the best of the lot right now, he's still WR #3 on the Packers. They need one guy to step up and have a decent, 1,000 yd, 8-10 TD season. That will likely be Lazard, Watkins (not Watson), or some other veteran they may yet acquire.

But I'm sensible, so my guess is that MLF and Barry are drawing up a revised playbook that is heavy on running and aggressive on defense. It's great that they have - probably - a top 5 D on paper. They need to prove it during the season. And with a weakened offense, they need to be ballhawks and generate TOs.
In MVS' first 23 games he had 9 catches of 40 yards or more. If Watson starts in that same role there's a good chance he & AR connect on a few of these long balls. Don't know that Watson will be the 1,000 yd guy, but might be a big contributor taking the top off of D's.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In MVS' first 23 games he had 9 catches of 40 yards or more. If Watson starts in that same role there's a good chance he & AR connect on a few of these long balls. Don't know that Watson will be the 1,000 yd guy, but might be a big contributor taking the top off of D's.
Yeah and that could be a legitimate role for him. He's likely the fastest receiver on the team. Opponents will have to account for him with a high safety when he's

I hope he's a better overall receiver than MVS, able to run different routes, shake off defenders, and on.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping Watson is a far superior route runner than MVS. In which case, if he can catch the ball well; he will be able to cut off the deep route and be wide open in single coverage.

Reaction score
I was surprised to watch some film evaluation of our Receivers. They were predicting that Watson would be more of a possession WR with lots of catches inside 15-20 yards area.
Yet they pegged Doubs as more of a guy who would be a long ball threat. I guess due to his route running, ball tracking and finishing. That actually surprised me. I would’ve thought just the opposite. The hands guy being a possession guy.

Obviously we have to factor Watson’s YAC. I think he will turn a 15 yarder into a bigger play than Doubs. We might just have 2 guys who can stretch the field, which is intriguing.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised to watch some film evaluation of our Receivers. They were predicting that Watson would be more of a possession WR with lots of catches inside 15-20 yards area.
Yet they pegged Doubs as more of a guy who would be a long ball threat. I guess due to his route running, ball tracking and finishing. That actually surprised me. I would’ve thought just the opposite. The hands guy being a possession guy.

Obviously we have to factor Watson’s YAC. I think he will turn a 15 yarder into a bigger play than Doubs. We might just have 2 guys who can stretch the field, which is intriguing.
Look at James Jones earlier in his career to Doubs

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. I think JJ himself had said that after the draft. He compared Doubs to a young version of himself coming out of college. That’s a really big compliment.
I can see that. Doubs is probably a bit more athletic and a little taller than JJ, but I can definitely see the similarity

D

Deleted member 6794

They need one guy to step up and have a decent, 1,000 yd, 8-10 TD season. That will likely be Lazard, Watkins (not Watson), or some other veteran they may yet acquire.

I don't believe the Packers necessarily need a receiver to get to 1,000 yards. It might work if a several of them put up decent numbers.

But I'm sensible, so my guess is that MLF and Barry are drawing up a revised playbook that is heavy on running and aggressive on defense.

While I expect the running backs to be more involved in the passing game I don't expect the Packers to throw the ball less often.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe the Packers necessarily need a receiver to get to 1,000 yards. It might work if a several of them put up decent numbers.

While I expect the running backs to be more involved in the passing game I don't expect the Packers to throw the ball less often.
Yeah if they can get 2 or 3 guys to collectively put up decent numbers, all is good. That also reduces the damage if someone gets hurt.

And I expect the RBs will be catching more passes. Fortunately Jones and Dillon are capable receivers.

I'm very curious to see how MLF runs this offense without Adams and what the D looks like with the return of Alexander (and virtually all of last year's starters) as well as the additions of rookies Quay and Walker. I'd love for that ILB pair to be as dominant as the one the Bucs threw at us, with Devin White and another guy whose name escapes me. Campbell and Quay are very athletic guys and should be able to cover, stop the run, and occasionally get after the QB.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One aspect that intrigues me with Walker is that he is near the same speed/short area quickness as a DB. But at 6’4” 241lb he’s going to fair better tackling bigger RB’s. I say that because last season we got beat up a bit by opposing RB’s that were bigger than the guy tackling them.

Bengals: Perrine KC: D Williams Browns: N Chubb Steelers: N Harris
Bears: K Herbert

Having a long armed 6’4-241Lb. LB who rarely misses a tackle and runs 1.59 at 10 yard speed and 6.89 3-cone? That movement meeting you before you can plant properly and turn upfield is much different than a 6’-205lb DB
Pretty amazing info about Walker. It seems like the Packers have had trouble defending the run for a long time. The LB crew is very strong although we don't yet know how Walker will respond at the NFL level. Coming out of Georgia, my guess is he'll be fine, as will Wyatt.

Reaction score
Yeah if they can get 2 or 3 guys to collectively put up decent numbers, all is good. That also reduces the damage if someone gets hurt.

And I expect the RBs will be catching more passes. Fortunately Jones and Dillon are capable receivers.

I'm very curious to see how MLF runs this offense without Adams and what the D looks like with the return of Alexander (and virtually all of last year's starters) as well as the additions of rookies Quay and Walker. I'd love for that ILB pair to be as dominant as the one the Bucs threw at us, with Devin White and another guy whose name escapes me. Campbell and Quay are very athletic guys and should be able to cover, stop the run, and occasionally get after the QB.
Yeah it’s an intriguing pair of Aces. They are both athletic enough to pair with Receivers or TE’s and
Pretty amazing info about Walker. It seems like the Packers have had trouble defending the run for a long time. The LB crew is very strong although we don't yet know how Walker will respond at the NFL level. Coming out of Georgia, my guess is he'll be fine, as will Wyatt.
We now have 3 Defenders from arguably the best Defense in Div I football. Stokes transitioned fine. As many in here will argue (I often stick up for the smaller school guy) having Le Crème level production in the best FBS level Defense translates. Those Guys are as close to pro-ready as it gets. The fact we sneakily got 3 off the best D n college football? Very very under the radar in a draft where everyone scrambled for a WR in panic.

See. The talk is all about WR. But everyone is largely forgetting that the Packers have 3 premier Georgia Defenders paired with Amos, Savage, J’aire, Clark, Reed, Preston and Gary. Wyatt or Savage is our weak link? Cmon brother! Screw WR! :roflmao:

PS. I predict Savage has a near Probowl level season (he will feed off the success of those around him in a massive contract year)

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it’s an intriguing pair of Aces. They are both athletic enough to pair with Receivers or TE’s and

We now have 3 Defenders from arguably the best Defense in Div I football. Stokes transitioned fine. As many in here will argue (I often stick up for the smaller school guy) having Le Crème level production in the best FBS level Defense translates. Those Guys are as close to pro-ready as it gets. The fact we sneakily got 3 off the best D n college football? Very very under the radar in a draft where everyone scrambled for a WR in panic.

See. The talk is all about WR. But everyone is largely forgetting that the Packers have 3 premier Georgia Defenders paired with Amos, Savage, J’aire, Clark, Reed, Preston and Gary. Wyatt or Savage is our weak link? Cmon brother! Screw WR! :roflmao:

PS. I predict Savage has a near Probowl level season ( he will feed off the success of those around him).
Well it's good to remember there are many ways to win football games. The WR group is iffy and a mystery but they have Rodgers throwing to them. And I think 2 or 3 guys will step up and get the job done.

They have two ace RBs who can also catch the ball. They have a good defense that may be great. And dammit the STs group better do a 180 this year, and I think they will.

There's a lot to look forward to this year.

Reaction score
Well it's good to remember there are many ways to win football games. The WR group is iffy and a mystery but they have Rodgers throwing to them. And I think 2 or 3 guys will step up and get the job done.

They have two ace RBs who can also catch the ball. They have a good defense that may be great. And dammit the STs group better do a 180 this year, and I think they will.

There's a lot to look forward to this year.
I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that IF the WR group “as a whole” performs similarly to last season? We will be have a more robust feel than last season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that IF the WR group “as a whole” performs similarly to last season? We will be have a more robust feel than last season.
That's true. Rodgers will be able to spread the ball around more and that includes getting the RBs involved in the passing game.
Exactly. It would be nice to get back to the days when Rodgers would throw to 7 or 8 or more different receivers in a game, or a half.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. It would be nice to get back to the days when Rodgers would throw to 7 or 8 or more different receivers in a game, or a half.
Pretty sure he commonly threw to 7+ receivers a game last season (and the season before). Difference this year is finding one or two of those receivers who can do anything after the catch.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure he commonly threw to 7+ receivers a game last season (and the season before). Difference this year is finding one or two of those receivers who can do anything after the catch.
Yeah or who can be a go-to guy when a first down or TD at the goal line is needed. Adams was deadly in those situations. And really, all good teams have a guy like that. Few as good as Adams.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this season we are going to witness the emergence of DD, JN, CJ.
I'm no worried at all.
We are in a weak conference and division and by the 3rd quarter of the season out O should be very proficient at the latest.
Until them D# and Solid RG can carry the load if need be.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this season we are going to witness the emergence of DD, JN, CJ.
I'm no worried at all.
We are in a weak conference and division and by the 3rd quarter of the season out O should be very proficient at the latest.
Until them D# and Solid RG can carry the load if need be.
There is nobody on the roster with JN initials, and the only rostered players with the other initials are: WR-Danny Davis & OT-Caleb Jones. Not household names so abbreviating created A LOT more work than it was worth, as both guys are long shots to make it past the first cut, imho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers definitely don't want Campbell or Walker to cover opposing wide receiver regularly.

That's a huge if though.

It would be nice to get back to the days when Rodgers would throw to 7 or 8 or more different receivers in a game, or a half.

Rodgers targeted at least seven pass catchers in all but one game last season.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is nobody on the roster with JN initials, and the only rostered players with the other initials are: WR-Danny Davis & OT-Caleb Jones. Not household names so abbreviating created A LOT more work than it was worth, as both guys are long shots to make it past the first cut, imho.
Pretty sure he meant Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, and Greg Jennings -- just a li'l typo on that last one. And I'm down for this, LFG!

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and James John's or Greg Jennings either way.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts