Wide Receiver Options

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Adams was a great WRs however Rodgers over reliance on Adams was part of the problem in the first place.

By not spreading the ball around he hindered the development of the other guys as well as discouraged them from giving 100% by not including them in the game.

Rodgers was is to worried about his QBR and how many interceptions be throws instead of the overall health of the offense.

He needs to lose up and put some trust in all of his weapons to.build there confidence and skills.
If he does that we will have guys start to shine.

Rodgers needs 30% Favre in him.
Lol, depends upon which 30% but I get what you're saying.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the comments about Rodgers being more concerned about his own stats, and the statements that there aren't any decent receivers, doesn't wash. LeFleur wants to have a team that can run the ball, and use the passing game effectively to augment it, not overshadow it. Therein lies the fact that Rodgers seems very comfortable with where it's going tells me they're in tune with each other on how the moves they made will help the team.

Let's face it. The way the Packers have played for quite some time now, they needed to play with the mentality that they had to score 30 points to get a win. If the defense improves considerably, that figure could drop by a touchdown or more.

As far as Rodgers and his attitude? Get over it. Enjoy the games. Nothing that's said is going to change where they're headed.

If you're right, and they fall on their collective rears, you can come out here and say; "Told you so!" Until then, try to see something positive in what's happening.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe those saying this are using the draft picks & salary saved ($25mil/yr-ish) by not re-signing Adams. Walker was the #22 pick, & #53 & our #59 were the Watson pick. The contracts (per year) of the top 3 picks, Douglas, & Campbell roughly amount to what Adams doesn't count against our cap.
I get that. My question was referring to how Wyatt is involved in this trade analogy.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams was a great WRs however Rodgers over reliance on Adams was part of the problem in the first place.

By not spreading the ball around he hindered the development of the other guys as well as discouraged them from giving 100% by not including them in the game.

Rodgers was is to worried about his QBR and how many interceptions be throws instead of the overall health of the offense.

He needs to lose up and put some trust in all of his weapons to.build there confidence and skills.

Rodgers needs 30% Favre in him.
Would that be Farve's photography skills?

D

Deleted member 6794

We won't need anymore receivers. We have a ton of talent and throughout this season few stars will start to shine.

We are good.

The Packers definitely don't have a ton of talent at wide receiver. They will be fortunate if they end up having an adequate receiving corps.

I think it’s more a comparative of capital, not so much chronological order etc..
when you add those contracts up they are comparable in value to what was saved by Adams departure after getting tagged.

The only thing I’d add is (if I recall my original sum off assets correctly?) that group would also included Tonyan’s $$
However to get that group @Jayzee1981 listed (his was a slightly different take than my original assets trad-off post) we spent a natural #59 draft pick and drafted Wyatt at #28 and that part had nothing to do with Adams, so that needs to be stated.
Still a pretty great resource haul when you look at it that way.

Robert Tonyan $3.75M
Q. Walker $3.4M (#22 from trade)
D. Campbell $10M
Rasul Douglas $7M
D. Reed $3.25
S. Watkins $1.85M
C. Watson $2.75M (used #53 trade)

I have us about $3M heavy over Adams $28.25m. However the the packers would’ve spent the salary of the #59 selection regardless of Adams so we can reduce that down by about 2M+ so I’m splitting hairs $$ and we don’t know if GB offered Adams a hair more than $28.25m before negotiations stopped altogether.

So it comes to this. Would we trade those 7 players for Adams plus a #59 overall??
To me it’s not even a decision

Taking a look at the structure of Adams contract he actually received a three-year, $67.7 million deal from the Raiders (there's no way they're going to pay him base salaried of $35.6 million in each of the 2025 and '26 season). With that being said the Packers could have structured an extension like that for him in a way to keep most of the players you mentioned while re-signing him as well.

The biggest issue was that he didn't want to stay in Green Bay anymore.

Rodgers targeted someone else than Adams on 70% of his throws. It's ridiculous to suggest that Rodgers throwing more interceptions would actually benefit the offense as well as blaming the quarterback for other players possibly not giving 100%.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely don't have a ton of talent at wide receiver. They will be fortunate if they end up having an adequate receiving corps.

Taking a look at the structure of Adams contract he actually received a three-year, $67.7 million deal from the Raiders (there's no way they're going to pay him base salaried of $35.6 million in each of the 2025 and '26 season). With that being said the Packers could have structured an extension like that for him in a way to keep most of the players you mentioned while re-signing him as well.

The biggest issue was that he didn't want to stay in Green Bay anymore.

Rodgers targeted someone else than Adams on 70% of his throws. It's ridiculous to suggest that Rodgers throwing more interceptions would actually benefit the offense as well as blaming the quarterback for other players possibly not giving 100%.
I agree. I was going to let that last one go but since you brought it up maybe if they gave 100% he would have thrown to them more.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they gave 100% or they wouldn't be on the field. A poster suggested they didn't give 100% on every play because they were not thrown to enough. I decided to let that ridiculous comment go, but now that 2 people have brought it up.

Reaction score
Rather than paranoid I think we fall into the category of optimistic but not totally convinced as opposed to you WR everything is fine people. What you are failing to realize is that Adams was one of the best WRs in the league. He's gone and now and our WR room doesn't have anyone even close to or even thinking about sniffing at his talent level right now. All the other things are true and its great but most of us WR paranoids are thinking about the WRs. I don't know about you but if someone asks me what I think about the Packers WRs I'm not thinking about Walker, and Wyatt and signed Campbell and Douglas because those guys aren't WRs. I'm thinking about our WRs.
This is not to take away Adams greatness. He could’ve went down as one of the best Packers WR in history. But chose to bail.

Just something I’ve noticed from past players. Aaron Rodgers brings out the best in WR’s. Every prospect that has left has had a reduction in production (see Greg Jennings) James Jones is a great example of a WR that left and came back before his twilight years. His production waned away and when he came back it immediately crested again.

Cobb is the only one I can think of where production slipped when he came back. Yet I feel like we could argue that his lack of stats was more due to him being injury prone

Reaction score
What you are failing to realize is that Adams was one of the best WRs in the league. He's gone and now and our WR room doesn't have anyone even close to or even thinking about sniffing at his talent level right now.
What I would say is while you’re argument is singularly sound. However, if I could be frank, isn’t football teams success measured by the group?

So really what it all comes down to is … will the group of Receivers we have (WR, TE, RB) put up similar numbers in TD/Yards over the 2022 season as the group did in 2021?

Us comparing Davante Adams to a couple Rookie WR or even an old FA WR addition only tells a fraction of the story. If we want to make a singular point that Davante is the best Receiver at this point in time.
I would fully agree with you on that.

That said. We ARE in a WR debate thread. I could conceivably see ignoring the other assets gained (draft picks and ~$23M to stay in context, but we need to look at the 2,081 yards lost (Davante, EQ,MVS) and compare it with the full array of WR gained, including Amari and anyone else boxed out by last years group that might’ve otherwise been utilized more.

I guess We will have a better understanding as the season progresses by tracking passing yards Per game though

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that Rodgers helped Adams to be a better receiver. That said, Adams didn't hurt Rodgers stats either. When receivers and QBs bring out the best in each other, you've got a darned good thing working for you.

We're going to find out real soon whether it was Rodgers or Adams that brought out more in the other person. I'm going to lean in favor of Rodgers doing more for Adams.

Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that Rodgers helped Adams to be a better receiver. That said, Adams didn't hurt Rodgers stats either. When receivers and QBs bring out the best in each other, you've got a darned good thing working for you.

We're going to find out real soon whether it was Rodgers or Adams that brought out more in the other person. I'm going to lean in favor of Rodgers doing more for Adams.
I just hope he doesn’t do that thing where he throws the ball into the sideline and then points and pouts. :tup:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports are MLF may be opting to use a ground attack more this next season. As such the passing YPG should naturally drop.
I believe that's been his goal right along. Become even more balanced towards the run.

By improving the defense, like they have, it could happen. We'll know more as the season progresses.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Dillon and Jones(likely his last year in GB), why would you NOT run it more? Lol

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Dillon and Jones(likely his last year in GB), why would you NOT run it more? Lol
Because you just re-signed the 4x MVP to play QB? If MLF wants to shift to a run-attack offense Jordan Love would've been more than sufficient to hand-off the ball similar to Jimmy G, Mac Jones and Ryan Tannehill. I'd love to have a 3 or 4 RB rotation & pound the ball, but AR (and his massive 4-yr. cap hit) isn't necessary for that approach, IMHO.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because you just re-signed the 4x MVP to play QB? If MLF wants to shift to a run-attack offense Jordan Love would've been more than sufficient to hand-off the ball similar to Jimmy G, Mac Jones and Ryan Tannehill. I'd love to have a 3 or 4 RB rotation & pound the ball, but AR (and his massive 4-yr. cap hit) isn't necessary for that approach, IMHO.
It never hurts to have a 4x MVP winner at the QB position. No one runs the ball 100% of the time. I get what you are saying but even if we run more we are better off with Rodgers even with his massive cap hit. Besides, I doubt we'd ever switch to a higher running percentage team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the 4x MVP and his massive 4-yr cap hit can throw and catch the ball, I would agree with you 100%. However, he is only one side of that equation. I don't think that we are talking all-or-nothing scenarios here where we are "shifting to a run-attack offense," but merely having much better balance. With our lack of proven talent at WR, Rodgers will need the running game to help open up his WRs.

Over the past three seasons, the Packers have called passing plays on 59% of their snaps. That is smack dab in the middle of the league. Generally I have no issues with that balance in the modern NFL, but with less familiarity and skill at WR in 2022, I think it will need to trend more towards 55% with more play action passes.

We are going to see a lot of Rodgers' trade-mark "you just ruined Christmas" stares at his WRs this season.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they show more shots of Rodgers mug after he short hops one one third down to a wide open guy at the sticks. Last time Mr MVP played like one on a big drive in a big game? He needs to fix HIMSELF and stop whining about or blaming others - thats what LEADERS do

Reaction score
Reports are MLF may be opting to use a ground attack more this next season. As such the passing YPG should naturally drop.
So from that perspective, if we see similar (within 5% +-) passing production or better in 2022 regular season, then will that support an evaluation that … Davante wasn’t missed nearly as much as we all thought?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
How did Elway win his rings again? It wasn't based on his arm. What about Peyton's second?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did Elway win his rings again? It wasn't based on his arm. What about Peyton's second?

Oh goodie! I love fans that advocate being the extremely rare exception in how to win a Super Bowl! "There was this one team in the last 20 years that won a Super Bowl this specific way....why don't the Packers try and do that rather than the way the other 19 teams did it?"

Members online

Latest posts