Why?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why in the world didn't they help out Barclay?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why in the world didn't they help out Barclay?

It's a trade-off. If you put someone in the backfield to help out Barclay, that's one less weapon for Rodgers downfield. The Packers calculated that, given Rodgers mobility and pocket presence, they could get by without chipping on the right side. In some cases that worked, and clearly in some it did not.

I'm sure the coaching staff will review and possibly re-calculate that choice this week with St. Louis coming to town.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's more complicated than simply giving him help.

If R. Rodgers stayed in to block, for example, there goes a receiving option. Even if he just chipped, then the route wouldn't be as good. With the frequent times Rodgers did have plenty of time and couldn't find an open guy, giving him help may not have done any good.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I realize it is a trade off. But when you have a defensive end getting to the QB and either sacking him or making him run; you gotta do it. And The Rams' D looks awfully good. I think it is about time to see how well Lacy can pick up pass rushers. I would rather use Lacy than Kuhn so we have a screen possibility.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a trade-off. If you put someone in the backfield to help out Barclay, that's one less weapon for Rodgers downfield. The Packers calculated that, given Rodgers mobility and pocket presence, they could get by without chipping on the right side. In some cases that worked, and clearly in some it did not.

I'm sure the coaching staff will review and possibly re-calculate that choice this week with St. Louis coming to town.
And to keep Rodgers healthy. Between KC and the niners he's taken some hits. One of these times it's bound to be a blind side. Keep Kuhn on hand to cover Barclay and pray Bulaga gets well fast. No complaints here on a 4-0 start. Let's just keep "the stick that stirs the drink" healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Both Barclay and Bakhtiari aren't playing up to the level that you would hope to get out of your Tackles. Rodgers is good at scrambling around, but I think we are all holding our breath that someone doesn't get by one of the B's and gets a hard shot on AR that knocks him out of the game or longer. Right now they both are the offenses biggest liability and really the teams as well, since without AR in there, the Packers offense is average at best.

All we can hope for is individual improvement from both players and help on Rodgers blind side when needed. But I do think AR's awareness of playing behind two weak Tackles is effecting his game somewhat.

Fortunately, it looks like Bulaga may be back sooner then expected.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course I realize it is a trade off. But when you have a defensive end getting to the QB and either sacking him or making him run; you gotta do it. And The Rams' D looks awfully good. I think it is about time to see how well Lacy can pick up pass rushers. I would rather use Lacy than Kuhn so we have a screen possibility.

The Packers have used an extra blocker on 20.9% of the passing plays. Kuhn hasn´t been involved a ton though by only blocking twice with Rodgers, Starks and Lacy primarily being used.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, worries about AR is paramount. But our passing game was not up to par. It seemed like no one was getting open. But when the QB is scramblling so much it is impossible to see the whole field. Rodgers does as good as anyone at keeping his eyes downfield but you just can't do that really well while running around. And I do believe if Lacy or Starks can do some picking up...eventually they are going to be open big time on a screen. Also, when you have someone in the backfield the D has to be concerned about a draw. The chipping could also help Barclay out. Whoever needs help in a game...they should get it.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, worries about AR is paramount. But our passing game was not up to par. It seemed like no one was getting open. But when the QB is scramblling so much it is impossible to see the whole field. Rodgers does as good as anyone at keeping his eyes downfield but you just can't do that really well while running around. And I do believe if Lacy or Starks can do some picking up...eventually they are going to be open big time on a screen. Also, when you have someone in the backfield the D has to be concerned about a draw. The chipping could also help Barclay out. Whoever needs help in a game...they should get it.
I agree w your assessment. Rodgers is taking too many hits. I've been surprised that they haven't dialed up more screens or draws against an apparent blitz.

But someone else pointed out that both Barclay and Bakhtiari are not playing well. I see Balhtiari commit what seems like a lot of penalties, but really haven't seen if he is getting contain. It's hard to complain with a 4-0 start, and yet if Rodgers takes a hard blind side hit, that could spell trouble.

So if it's a given that Barclay and maybe Bakhtiari can't be counted on, what are the members' thoughts on strategy? I'm thinking screen plays or quick slants underneath. Any other ideas? And how is the St Louis D? KC and the Niners put a lot of pressure, consistently, on Rodgers. Can we expect St Louis to be successful in that regard? Look forward to your thoughts and thanks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree w your assessment. Rodgers is taking too many hits. I've been surprised that they haven't dialed up more screens or draws against an apparent blitz.

The problem is that opponents haven't had to blitz so far to get pressure on Rodgers. Five of the six sacks happened with opponents rushing only four, so defenses have only blitzed at a 17.5% rate.

The easiest solition would be to get Bulaga back and don't allow any pressures while facing four men rushes.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is that opponents haven't had to blitz so far to get pressure on Rodgers. Five of the six sacks happened with opponents rushing only four, so defenses have only blitzed at a 17.5% rate.

The easiest solition would be to get Bulaga back and don't allow any pressures while facing four men rushes.
Ugh that's a grim statistic, that an opponent can get that much pressure with a 4 man front. When is Bulaga supposed to return? And finally, are there any other options beside Barclay? Anyone on the waiver wire or UDFAs who don't have jobs? That's probably not much of a solution anyway and if there was someone available I imagine TT would have done something by now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ugh that's a grim statistic, that an opponent can get that much pressure with a 4 man front. When is Bulaga supposed to return? And finally, are there any other options beside Barclay? Anyone on the waiver wire or UDFAs who don't have jobs? That's probably not much of a solution anyway and if there was someone available I imagine TT would have done something by now.

The only other options on the roster would be Tretter and Walker but I think Barclay is better than both of them. I have no idea about any street free agents available who would be an upgrade but it's probable the coaching staff prefers to go along with someone on the roster.

There's a thread about Bulaga possibly being ahead of schedule to return to action.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only other options on the roster would be Tretter and Walker but I think Barclay is better than both of them. I have no idea about any street free agents available who would be an upgrade but it's probable the coaching staff prefers to go along with someone on the roster.

There's a thread about Bulaga possibly being ahead of schedule to return to action.
Thanks for the info. Getting Bulaga back sooner would certainly help. It's a very good starting O when all are healthy. Will probably have to wait until the draft to build depth, maybe a bargain FA. Seems Barclay hasn't been the same since the injury. I thought that before that he was a pretty good O lineman.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say he looked terrible last week. So if he has to play against a high caliber DE...it is trouble. Is R guard a better place for him?

D

Deleted member 6794

I have to say he looked terrible last week. So if he has to play against a high caliber DE...it is trouble. Is R guard a better place for him?

It seems like he's the primary backup at both guards position as well but there's no reason to move Lang to tackle if that's what you're suggesting.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been as high on Barclay as the rest it seems. Decent for the, get out there and finish this game type stuff, but i've never liked him in extended duty. He can be beaten too easily and often to try and cover up all game every game and still run our full offense. If we don't adjust things to help him it gets ugly a couple times a game. We can still be effective adjusting for that, but I'd rather we didn't have to that's for sure

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, was not suggesting anything. But I do believe we need to start focusing the draft on O line. Because Rodgers is not getting younger and I hope to have him around for a long time. There will come a time when he will move around like Brady (ie not much) and we really need people to allow that. In the meantime, help out Barclay and look to the waiver wire.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread has really made me think about how strong this team really is. Every team has some weaknesses, but right now it seems that our only weakness is temporary with Bulaga coming back soon.

D

Deleted member 6794

This thread has really made me think about how strong this team really is. Every team has some weaknesses, but right now it seems that our only weakness is temporary with Bulaga coming back soon.

Well, Bakhtiari needs to play better as well and the inside linebacker position is a work in progress once Matthews moves outside. Other than that the Packers are extremely talented.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My take on Barclay. At one time he was considered the O-Lines swiss army knife. McCarthy said he could play all 5 positions. Prior to tearing his ACL last year, he was a pretty reliable starter and a really good back-up. But now, at times he seems to be a step or two behind as well as weaker. Did he fully heal from the ACL? Or is it due to almost a full year off and he is still knocking the rust off? Fortunately this isn't last year when AR was nursing a bad calf and probably wouldn't survive some of his whiffs and Barclay doesn't play on AR's blind side.

Bottom line, right now Barclay is our best option at RT until Bulaga is back. We can only hope both he and Bakhtiari start playing better, because if either of them go down, there isn't a lot behind them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Before the season even started it was thought that because all 5 starters were returning, Green Bay had one of the best O-lines in Football. I think we all know where TT is going to be focusing himself in the 2016 Draft and Free agency, ok so maybe the first one. :coffee:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
KC and the Niners put a lot of pressure, consistently, on Rodgers. Can we expect St Louis to be successful in that regard? Look forward to your thoughts and thanks.
St Louis is debatably the best in the league.
He practiced a bit today.
https://www.packerforum.com/threads/bulaga-ahead-of-schedule.62735/#post-627241
My take on Barclay. At one time he was considered the O-Lines swiss army knife. McCarthy said he could play all 5 positions. Prior to tearing his ACL last year, he was a pretty reliable starter and a really good back-up. But now, at times he seems to be a step or two behind as well as weaker. Did he fully heal from the ACL? Or is it due to almost a full year off and he is still knocking the rust off?
My bleacher seat analysis is he has not yet fully recovered. I think a bit of mobility and a lot of strength has not returned yet.

Members online

Latest posts