Why would the Packers draft a safety who's afraid to hit.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Burnett is our strong safety. A passive, meek, timid and soft player who likes to avoid contact. I know he made an interception on Sunday and some might say he made a good hit. I disagree. He didn't blow up the receiver. It was a wrap up tackle from behind. His problem is when he plays near the line of scrimmage he wants no part of taking on a running back. I watched him closely and saw him avoid contact on several occasions. He ran out of the way of Lynch rather then trying to meet him head on.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Give me the quarter and time on the clock your talking about. I just watched the entire game specifically watching Burnett and he looked fine to me. So I really have no idea what your talking about.

BigDaddyKaine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So because he doesn't try and blow up people he isn't any good.

So I'm just guessing your idea of a perfect safety is Taylor Mays, a guy who blows up everybody he gets a chance to but sucks in coverage, takes horrible angles, and can't tackle to save his life.

Just because he didn't kill that WR doesn't mean he is afraid to tackle, I'd rather have a guy who always goes for the wrap up tackle than just trying to kill em every chance he gets.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is this troll still on the board?

Why does my preference for a hard hitting physical strong safety make me a troll. I just want the Packers to be a more dominant intimidating team. If I wasn't a Packer fan why would I even care who their safety was.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why does my preference for a hard hitting physical strong safety make me a troll. I just want the Packers to be a more dominant intimidating team. If I wasn't a Packer fan why would I even care who their safety was.

I think the fact all your posts are all negative or want to trade away the best players is what makes you be questioned

Now dont take that to me I think your a troll...But it is odd to be on a forum for a Packer fan to never say one good thing a bout the team your a fan off..

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact all your posts are all negative or want to trade away the best players is what makes you be questioned

Now dont take that to me I think your a troll...But it is odd to be on a forum for a Packer fan to never say one good thing a bout the team your a fan off..

darren sharper didnt blow the offense up right away........ he was very soft , until he understood his role completely..

out:viksux:

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every post bob makes is about how soft a player is. how bad a player is. etc.
he's a troll. rule #1 DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

its funny though because he's really bad at trolling.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Burnett has continued to excel at his role and positioning. As a defensive back, if he is unnoticed and his name isn't called, that is not neceassarily a bad thing.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not for nothing but i saw burnett shy away from a couple of tackles.. and that was before i read this and was thinkin to myself the same thing.. idk if we should call him soft yet he is a rookie and adjusting to the game, but just I DID SEE HIM LET A BACK RUN RIGHT PAST HIM.. it seemed, like packerbob mentioned, that he did not want to hit him head on

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really the only thing I noticed negatively about him was the play where he simply overran Lynch in the hole, Lynch made a nice cut upfield and Burnett wasn't the only Packer to get shook on that play. That's simply a rookie getting beat by a veteran used-to-be-all-pro-worthy RB. He will get better with time, and as someone else said: having your name NOT called during passing downs is normally a good thing if you're a DB.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe he's just someone who is extremely critical of everything. Kind of like the Simon Cowell meets the Packers ("he runs like 3 legged dog..., he plays so badly I'm surprised he's not embarrassed to come in and pick up his paycheck...") I know a few cats on other forums who are like that and they are just big cuddly teddy bears when you get to know them. I don't mind criticism as long as it has a base in truth. Otherwise we got troll randomly bashing the team and otherwise making stuff up to get under our skin.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe he's just someone who is extremely critical of everything. Kind of like the Simon Cowell meets the Packers ("he runs like 3 legged dog..., he plays so badly I'm surprised he's not embarrassed to come in and pick up his paycheck...") I know a few cats on other forums who are like that and they are just big cuddly teddy bears when you get to know them. I don't mind criticism as long as it has a base in truth. Otherwise we got troll randomly bashing the team and otherwise making stuff up to get under our skin.
If he had said that Burnett was being too passive, wasn't being agressive enough, that he needed to blow people up and tackle better, I'd agree.

But accusing the guy of being soft and afraid to hit? When he has very little film on him? That's personal attack.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he had said that Burnett was being too passive, wasn't being agressive enough, that he needed to blow people up and tackle better, I'd agree.

But accusing the guy of being soft and afraid to hit? When he has very little film on him? That's personal attack.

That's an excellent point on his Burnett argument, his assessment of Burnett was not only harsh, but inaccurate. I'd like to see him produce some evidence (footage) to substantiate his claim. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but as somebody suggested, maybe he's just real bad at trolling.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm expecting Morgan to be a substantial part of our forced turnovers, the kid has great range, he is real young, left college one year early, has room to grow, he is now here near his ceiling right now, can't wait for him to get some experience in, and possibly pick of Cutler Monday NIGHT!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQf7WNWk7aQ]YouTube - Morgan Burnett Highlights[/ame]

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup look at all those times he shied away from the hit in that highlight

**sarcasm off**

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there is so much learning that rooks do, clay had 10 sacks as a rook, he missed games, missed preseason, had to learn a defense along with a whole team, & now look at how fast of a start he is having...this kids got a lot of ability, I'm very excited that Morgan is a packer

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 games in and has a INT and we got people ripping him?

Yeah he isnt Ed Reed, sorry. Nick Collins isnt either, but he still makes plays.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Our last strong safety loved contact. Look where he's at... on the PUP list.

I thought the same thing. Ask Bob Sanders how great it is to seek contact and try to blow people up every play!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm expecting Morgan to be a substantial part of our forced turnovers, the kid has great range, he is real young, left college one year early, has room to grow, he is now here near his ceiling right now, can't wait for him to get some experience in, and possibly pick of Cutler Monday NIGHT!!!

YouTube - Morgan Burnett Highlights

Thanks for the supporting evidence bro!!! I'm starting to like this guy very much! I'm sorry I called him "little" in some other thread too!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts