Why won't the let Rayner kick??

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Twice so far today, the Packers have not allowed Rayner to kick a field goal. First, they tried an unsuccessful fake. Then, from the 33, they were going for it on 4th down when a penalty moved them up close to the 1st down. From the 33, it would only be a 50 yarder which is well in his range.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure that is in his range? I know he can make it but would he make it consistantly. I agree though I think they should have taken the FG instead of the fake no doubt. But going for it on forth and inches I dont have a problem withh.

OP
OP
P

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure that is in his range? I know he can make it but would he make it consistantly. I agree though I think they should have taken the FG instead of the fake no doubt. But going for it on forth and inches I dont have a problem withh.

It was 4th and 5 when they lined up on the 33. A penalty moved it up to 4th and inches. That is well within his range. He has missed one 53 yarder this year and hit 3 from over 50 (54 yarder at Philadelphia tied team record) plus the 55 yarder last week that he hit but was taken back because of a penalty.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that, but you dont know that they were really going to go for it when It was 4th and 5. They may have been trying to draw the D offside. As far as for when it was inches, which do you think would be easier to get? A couple inches when your O line has been blowing big holes open all game, or a fg attempt by an iffy kicker.

OP
OP
P

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was 4th and 5 when they lined up on the 33. A penalty moved it up to 4th and inches. That is well within his range. He has missed one 53 yarder this year and hit 3 from over 50 (54 yarder at Philadelphia tied team record) plus the 55 yarder last week that he hit but was taken back because of a penalty.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The wind was swirling yesterday and that may have affected some decision making on the kicks. On the second half warmups, both Rayner and the Cardinal kicker were at about the 30 and only kicked to one endzone and both had balls really hook.

I was at the game and assumed that the fake was a bad snap or mishandled hold because it looked so bad, but heard later that it was indeed to true fake. I heard on the postgame show, either McCarren or Noble noted that they had noticed in film that the Cardinal ends really sold out crashing in for the block and they thought they could exploit that to the outside.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I didnt see the game but heard some of it on the radio and saw highlights..

On that fake fg it sure looked ot me that someone really missed a block, and if they would have made the block the fake would have worked...

But MM did say it was HIS fault for calling it

OP
OP
P

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The wind was swirling yesterday and that may have affected some decision making on the kicks. On the second half warmups, both Rayner and the Cardinal kicker were at about the 30 and only kicked to one endzone and both had balls really hook.

I was at the game and assumed that the fake was a bad snap or mishandled hold because it looked so bad, but heard later that it was indeed to true fake. I heard on the postgame show, either McCarren or Noble noted that they had noticed in film that the Cardinal ends really sold out crashing in for the block and they thought they could exploit that to the outside.

Thanks for the info, spardo62

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rayner was supposed to call the fake off but he never knew it was on. At the last minute when Rayner ran on the field they told him to call it off but he missed the call because he never knew it was on.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rayner was supposed to call the fake off but he never knew it was on. At the last minute when Rayner ran on the field they told him to call it off but he missed the call because he never knew it was on.

yeah MM said that was his mistake. Another lesson learned for the pudgy one. Good thing it didnt cost GB the game. Instead we scored the next 3 drives!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

yeah MM said that was his mistake. Another lesson learned for the pudgy one. Good thing it didnt cost GB the game. Instead we scored the next 3 drives!

Yeah MM said he originally was just going to go for it on 4th down. I actually like the call.......but only if all 11 guys on the offense know about it!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
baby steps.

first we get 11 and 11 only on the field

now we get them to ALL know the SAME play

then....yay!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
baby steps.

first we get 11 and 11 only on the field

now we get them to ALL know the SAME play

then....yay!

As soon as I typed 11 I thought about that but I'm digging the way MM carries himself, calls the plays and has this team respectable so far so I'm trying not to take shots at him. Damn...I missed a good opportunity. That's what I get being Mr. Nice Guy!

Members online

Latest posts