Why We Should Root for the Vikings this Sunday.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it sounds totally strange, and backwards but just hear me out!

Scenario 1:

The Packers beat the Giants, and the Vikings beat the Bears. The Packers sit at 8-3, with a 2-0 record in the division. The Bears sit at 7-4, with 2 losses in the division giving us good separation from the heard. The Vikings would also be 7-4, but they will visit us the following Sunday.
A loss to us creates even an even greater lead in the North.

Scenario 2:

The Packers lose to the Giants, and the Vikings beat the Bears. The Packers, Vikings, and Bears are 7-4. All tied up, but the Packers host the Vikings the following Sunday. We beat the Vikings and move to 8-4. Even if the Bears win that week too, we are still in the drivers seat.

Scenario 3:

The Packers lose, and the Bears win. At that point we are 7-4, and the Bears are 8-4. If we beat the Vikings when they visit us (and we should!) and the Bears beat the Seahawks we would be at 8-4 and the Bears are 9-4. At that point, we would have to play catch-up again! We don't want that.

That being said, if the Bears lose to the Seahawks after beating the Vikings and we beat the Vikings after losing to the Giants we would be sitting at 8-4, and the Bears would be sitting at 8-4 too. We would then still be in first place.

So, all in all we want the Bears to lose both games over the next two weeks, but at least they need to lose one game. If they lose to the Vikings it makes life all that much easier as we can take the Vikings in week 13 and create some decent separation in our division.

We also need to win at least one of the game over the next 2 weeks, but of course winning the next 2 (well...ALL the remaining games OBVIOUSLY.) will be the most beneficial!

Thanks for your time!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
No can do. I'll watch with indifference because they BOTH can't lose the same game.

16ga

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one that would normally rather see the vikings beat the bears? I mean you know assuming one of them has to win.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd rather see the Vikes win simply because it gets us 1 game up if we get the win against the Giants. There are just too many possible scenarios over the last five weeks to seriously consider anything else.

But I really don't care all that much. Our fate is in our own hands. From this position forward, we either beat good teams or we don't.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
The Bears must fall and fall hard. Period. Shouldn't be hard though, their O-Lineman Rachel just up and quit the team, leaving them even thinner at O-Line. Frankly I don't see how they keep Allen from having a field day on Cutler, Campbell or McCown. Especially now that Tice went on record saying he doesn't plan on making any adjustments to help his ailing linemen, instead saying they simply need to "man up."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/print?id=49615

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eeewwww! The odds of me rooting for the Vikings is the same as a piece of Tundra in hell! I'll just be rooting that they beat the crap out of each other to make our job easier in the upcoming weeks.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikings are better than the Bears right now, so rooting for them Queens may come back to bite you. We've already beaten the Bears once and we haven't played the Vikings yet. I actually feel more confident about us beating the Bears again and sweeping the series than about beating the Vikings twice.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
How can I root on a team that i can't stand when they are playing a team that i can't stand? Maybe a freak winter tornado will come along and take them both out....

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ties are bad. If the Pack winds up 11 and 5, and someone else is 11-4-1, the winner is the one with the tie, since it counts as 1/2 win and 1/2 loss. 11 and 1/2 beats 11 wins. Root for the Vikes--they really are not very good anyway. And the Bears really, really do suck.

OP
OP
Chicocheese

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess, if it helps, think of it as rooting for the Bears to lose.

Hey, I'm not going to be sitting there going "Go Adrian, Go!" and "Yesssss! Ponder is #1!". I guess the word "rooting" could be replaced with "hoping" to make it sound less Vikings-positive.

Eeewwww! The odds of me rooting for the Vikings is the same as a piece of Tundra in hell! I'll just be rooting that they beat the crap out of each other to make our job easier in the upcoming weeks.

I understand where this is coming from, but as a Packers fan don't you want to know that you beat your opponents with their best possible players on field? I do. I wouldn't want to say I beat the Vikings with out Peterson and Harvin AND Allen. You know?

Secondly, just think about this: We beat the Giants and move to 8-3. The Vikings beat the Bears and now they are BOTH sitting at 7-4. That means we are one game up on both 2nd place teams in our division. Then, when the Vikings face off against us the following week at home, we beat them and move to 9-3. Now the Vikes are 7-5, two games back and we are still at least one game up on the Bears.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We have 6 games left and ton of stuff can change..Worrying about tie breakers, who is in 1st and etc...is a waste of time when it really comes down to it..

Packers win out and there are no WHAT IFS

Worry about one game at a time..I am sure the Packers arent worried about what ifs

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
When two divisional rivals play I look at it from the Packers perspective. What outcome benefits the Packers the most? Don't look at it as "rooting" for the Vikings or whoever, look at it as indirectly rooting for the Packers as it would benefit us.

OP
OP
Chicocheese

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When two divisional rivals play I look at it from the Packers perspective. What outcome benefits the Packers the most? Don't look at it as "rooting" for the Vikings or whoever, look at it as indirectly rooting for the Packers as it would benefit us.

This is what I meant, to the T. I am not saying to cheer on the Vikings, or become a fan for 3 hours. I am saying root for what helps the Packers the most. I guess the thread title I chose didn't illustrate that point the best.

Of course I want the Packers to win out, we all do. I was trying to show how the Vikings could make our lives a little less...stressful.

Reaction score
I will cheer for a Tie.. Nothing more!!! Either that or I will cheer against the Vikings but just not be sad when they win :)

All joking aside, whatever helps the Packers chances, I am going to support. haha

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On second thought, I think I will pull for CHI. A Viking win puts them in the drivers seat with two games against us where as I believe we can beat CHI again. Gonna be quite an interesting finish to the season.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will always root for the Vikings over the Bears unless we need the Bears to beat them, which we don't. The Vikings have overachieved anyway, I'm not the least bit worried about those chumps.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Can I root for a tie?
Well a tie can be just as bad as a Bear win. Think of it this way. Packers and Bears both finish with 11 wins. But the Bears tied the Vikings. That would put the Bears up half a game. Ties are bad if you both finish with the same amount of wins.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
We have 6 games left and ton of stuff can change..Worrying about tie breakers, who is in 1st and etc...is a waste of time when it really comes down to it..

Packers win out and there are no WHAT IFS

Worry about one game at a time..I am sure the Packers arent worried about what ifs
All three teams control their own destiny. If they win, they are in. Lose and they are out. With the way the schedule is made up, there will be no telling who is going to take the division until the last game is played in the division. And even then it may come down to teams in other divisions depending on the tiebreakers.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whichever team wins, it'll be the wrong one. That's the way it goes in this Vikings-Bears series. I remember cheering against Favre in 2010 and loving it when he lost the first game to the Bears. Then I remember begging Favre to return to glory just for one game in the second meeting against the Bears, which they lost again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts