Why We Don't Need To Sign Lots Of Free Agents

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This off-season will most certainly feature folks here on the Packer forum clamoring for the Packers to sign some big name free agent. It won't matter who they are or what's being asked for them, so long as they're on someone else's roster, we'll need to sign them, at least according to some.

Alex Marvez of Fox Sports wrote a good piece on the historic lack of success with the "All In" approach:

All-in approach sinks Minnesota Vikings, BradChildress - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

It's a great read for anyone who thinks "We're just a piece or two away.."

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Chris, we have a great roster.

But there's a big difference in signing eventual, handpicked free agents to the all in method MN employed.

But, like I said, I agree with you. Our money is best spent signing our own guys, it builds morale inside the locker room, it makes the backups want to play harder, it's just better.

If we have great scouting, and we do, we don't need to sign street FAs.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad T.T. doesn't take the fans choice and goes with what he knows.Hanysworth Lynch people thought how great they would be,hope T.T gives the talent we have and pays them witch i think he will.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only player in the off season I thought we should have went after was that speedy WR from Miami and put him on punt/kick return duty.

I was pretty steamed we didnt make a real push to get Lynch when Grant went down.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only player in the off season I thought we should have went after was that speedy WR from Miami and put him on punt/kick return duty.

I was pretty steamed we didnt make a real push to get Lynch when Grant went down.

me too

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wood Chip - a picture is typically worth a 1000 words. That one of Cutler has to be worth at least 5000 words and several hundred chuckles. Love it.

Allow me to play the other side, the Anti-TT side, seeing how those folks don't seem to post much anymore:

TT got lucky. He didn't sign any FAs only because he is cheap, stupid, wants to run BF our of town, and has a huge ego. Then he got lucky on most of his draft picks by having great players available when it came our turn to pick. This all resulted in the Packers accidentally getting really good and talented. If Sherman was still in charge, BF would still be here, we would have signed several FAs and we would have won at least 3 SBs in the last 4 years.

Now, more than ever, TT needs to not fall asleep during FA period and sign us all the big names on the first day.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wood Chip - a picture is typically worth a 1000 words. That one of Cutler has to be worth at least 5000 words and several hundred chuckles. Love it.

Allow me to play the other side, the Anti-TT side, seeing how those folks don't seem to post much anymore:

TT got lucky. He didn't sign any FAs only because he is cheap, stupid, wants to run BF our of town, and has a huge ego. Then he got lucky on most of his draft picks by having great players available when it came our turn to pick. This all resulted in the Packers accidentally getting really good and talented. If Sherman was still in charge, BF would still be here, we would have signed several FAs and we would have won at least 3 SBs in the last 4 years.

Now, more than ever, TT needs to not fall asleep during FA period and sign us all the big names on the first day.
I know you were being sarcastic, but if Tramon, Bishop and Peprah don't make the jump, and if Shields is drafted by someone, we might be having a completely different discussion right now...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you were being sarcastic, but if Tramon, Bishop and Peprah don't make the jump, and if Shields is drafted by someone, we might be having a completely different discussion right now...
If we don't have a freaky run of injuries we would be fine also. Or maybe if Tramon, Bishop, and Peprah flopped, there's no telling who and how well the replacements would be playing.

TT has done a tremendous job of filling this roster with talent. I would call him the best GM in the NFL right now. And it is sure looking like MM and staff know how to develop that talent, although I am still reserving my overall grade on MM. I was always a big TT fan. MM, on the other hand, he is doing much better than I expected. He may also turn out to be very good but I thought it was a mistake when we hired him.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing we didn't. Lynch is stinking up the joint in Seattle. He fumbled twice and dropped 2 passes last week against the Saints and was yanked by the head coach. He is averaging ~ 3 yards per carry and has only 253 yards.

We now have the draft picks we would have lost had we gotten him.

I think he would have been enormously succesful in green and gold!

The Seahawks are crap and so is that worthless cheating pile of crap Carroll.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I think he would have been enormously succesful in green and gold!

The Seahawks are crap and so is that worthless cheating pile of crap Carroll.

Agreed. I'm okay with the fact that we didn't pick him up, as it's worked out for us thus far. However, I think it's stupid to say that just because Lynch is playing poorly in SEA that he would've played poorly here. Completely different situations.

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Lynch had stunk it up here??

Every one who pushed for that trade would be calling for TT's head. Everything he does is the wrong move. Even when it was the right move, it was wrong.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
And if Lynch had stunk it up here??

Every one who pushed for that trade would be calling for TT's head. Everything he does is the wrong move. Even when it was the right move, it was wrong.

And if he played well? Come on, we've played the what if game before, it's useless. Nobody can judge what would've or could've happened. People will be calling for TTs head no matter what he does.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hate beating a dead horse here.:sFun_DeadHorse:

But Lynch just ***** slapped the defending champs for nearly 70 yards and a game sealing TD in the Wild Card round!

AND I MEAN HE ***** SLAPPED THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate beating a dead horse here.:sFun_DeadHorse:

But Lynch just ***** slapped the defending champs for nearly 70 yards and a game sealing TD in the Wild Card round!

AND I MEAN HE ***** SLAPPED THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said it before I could, Lynch just made the Saints look like middle schoolers.
But agreed we cant play the what if game. Maybe this injury will motivate Grant, maybe?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
even brandon jackson broke a 70 yrd run. I would rather keep our draft pick anyday

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
even brandon jackson broke a 70 yrd run. I would rather keep our draft pick anyday

But not like this one!

Maybe you didn't see it. It was amazing! The only thing recently to compare it to was Adrian Peterson slapping Cleveland Browns players to one side and the other in that huge run he had last year. And not just once. Not Twice! But at least 3 times he ***** slapped defenders out of his way and powered his way to the end zone!

The rest of the games this weekend are going to have to do something pretty spectacular to beat out that run as the #1 highlight real!

EDIT: Here it is! http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...seals-upset-of-defending-champs?module=HP_cp2

OP
OP
SpartaChris

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. One great play in a whole season of under-achievement and mediocrity. I'll keep my draft picks, thanks.

Just proves what they said about Lynch is true- He plays when he wants to. Tonight he wanted to. Where's he been the rest of the season? Oh yeah, nowhere.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're forgetting that our system takes about an entire season to learn before you starting getting a lot of playing time. Nance and Starks still barely see the field because they don't know the system and audibles they need to call (Supposedly, the RBs call audibles in this offense, at least that's what my friend told me he heard on the Milwaukee sports station. Don't know how that all worked out though).

I doubt Lynch would be getting much playing time until next season, and I'm not sure if anyone is running behind our OL right now, even Ryan Grant.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I pointing out is that when it mattered, he came through.

Dont get me wrong. I think Jackson is a great team mate and player for his role. Unfortunantly his role will never be an every down back.

No matter what he does or how hard he tried Jackson will never do what Lynch did tonight and it will sting a bit more if the Packers lose because they lacked a running game. No future draft picks can fix that now.

I know we all realize what a steal Woodson was and how TT picked him up for a song. This is a great team that can win now. They had a glaring hole when Grant went down. Fill the void! The opportunity was there and TT should have done it. What minimal success Lynch has had in Seattle would have been mulitplied in Green Bay.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're forgetting that our system takes about an entire season to learn before you starting getting a lot of playing time. Nance and Starks still barely see the field because they don't know the system and audibles they need to call (Supposedly, the RBs call audibles in this offense, at least that's what my friend told me he heard on the Milwaukee sports station. Don't know how that all worked out though).

I doubt Lynch would be getting much playing time until next season, and I'm not sure if anyone is running behind our OL right now, even Ryan Grant.

That's a valid point. But just like Nance and Starks they are new to the system as well. Lynch would have been on the field at the same time at minimum and likely sooner because of more years in the NFL and his impact would be greater because he is a superior athlete.

And most importantly, he would be on the field and ready for the Playoffs!

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im legit surprised that there are no threads overreacting with OH EM EFF GEE WE SHOULD HAZ GOTTEN LYNCH!!!!!! after his beastly TD run today

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But not like this one!

Maybe you didn't see it. It was amazing! The only thing recently to compare it to was Adrian Peterson slapping Cleveland Browns players to one side and the other in that huge run he had last year. And not just once. Not Twice! But at least 3 times he ***** slapped defenders out of his way and powered his way to the end zone!

The rest of the games this weekend are going to have to do something pretty spectacular to beat out that run as the #1 highlight real!

EDIT: Here it is! NFL Videos: Wild Card Can't-Miss Play: Lynch in "beast mode"

No I saw it. He had alot of help thats for sure. I dont understand how 1 run can justify him not being very good. I honestly think jackson is a better rb. Glad we held onto our draft pick on this one.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to tangent from the Lynch conversation back to the FA topic and while I agree that you build through the draft you can cement a championship through Free Agency see 1995 off season...anyway one guy I would love to see the Pack go after is Sproles...he could be a real weapon on 3rd down plus he could take over for Williams(always get nervous about having him back there as he means so much to the defense) as a punt returner and as a kick returner. Him and Shields would make a great combo back there.

Members online

Latest posts