Why Thomas Davis is the perfect fit for this D

JWalkRulz84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, we have glaring problems on our defense, we need help on our D-Line, Need another linebacker and depth at corner...Not to mention we do not have a safety capable of starting at this point. Defenses that excel have leaders not only at MLB, but at safety as well...Look at these defenses that were very well last season...

New England: Teddy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison
Philadelphia: Jeremiah Trotter, Brian Dawkins
Washington: Antoino Pierce, Sean Taylor
Baltimore: Ray Lewis, Ed Reed
Buffalo: Takeo Spikes, Lawyer Milloy

I could go on...

These defenses have versatile middle linebackers with a safety who has no fear of coming into the box and making a crushing blow. These safeties are also very good blitzers and can cover very well. Darren was a very good playmaker and an amazing ball-hawker...however his abilities to move in to the box and make a tackle diminshed incredibly. Here is an excerpt from what Thomas Davis said after the combine...

"I feel like I'm a guy that's going to work hard, play with a lot of intensity, hit a guy whenever it's needed," Davis said during the combine. "I'd rather be that safety that comes down in the box, fill the gap. I feel like I'm ready to take on an offensive line if need be."

That is the type of guys we have been lacking in Green Bay. Yes, we need a QB for the future and we have other glaring holes, however if we have the opportunity to nab a guy who is going to give 100% and is an obvious natural born leader, this is the guy.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trouble is, according to all indications, he'll be long gone by the time the Packers pick. If he falls thru the cracks I'm sure the Pack would gobble him up, but I don't see that happening.

gravthar, you are right. Strength up the middle is important in all games from chess and checkeers to baseball and football to war(not a game of course but true). Many times that over looked for the flashy DE. The flashy DE is OK but you also have to be strong up the center or the team is split into two.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You and this guy http://www.askthecommish.com/2005nfldraft/ agree totally :)

http://georgiadogs.collegesports.com/sp ... mas00.html

Thomas Davis: Draft Diary
The hardest hitter in this year's draft.
March 10, 2005 - As told to Jon Robinson

Thomas Davis said:
Nobody in this draft hits harder than me. It's just how I feel. I'm a guy who plays with high intensity, always playing fast, always playing hard.

Coming out of the combine, though, some teams are looking at me as a safety, others as a linebacker. I definitely prefer to play safety, but I'm willing to meet any team's needs. It's funny, because growing up, I didn't even want to play defense.

I wanted to score some touchdowns.

As a kid, I always played running back, but as I got older, I realized I liked hitting people better than getting hit. I never took too hard of a hit as a runner, I always delivered the blow to end the play. We used to play street football every day. There wasn't any Pop Warner or recreational league where I grew up, so I really learned how to play out on the streets. I remember this one time I got tackled into a sticker-briarpatch. You get tackled into a briarpatch, and it makes you want to play defense really quick.

The Combine
I was pretty nervous heading into the combine. The fact that I'm a junior and getting asked all of these questions, it took me a while to relax. Some of these teams give you these personality tests to see what kind of person you are. See if you're worth all of that money they're ready to invest in you. They don't want any of those guys who are going to go out and do something crazy like commit a crime, so they ask you a bunch of weird questions. The strangest question to me was: How are a coat and a dress alike? It's one of those things where you're looking for deeper meaning in your answer than the obvious, but maybe they just want you to write that they're both types of clothing. Who knows.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

But it's not just the tests that are crazy, as the different team doctors are pulling and poking at you from every direction. You might have one team doctor pulling on your right leg, next thing you know, another team doctor is pulling on your left leg. It just felt really funny being placed in that situation. That's what people don't realize about the combine. Sure, they clock your 40 and you run through all the drills, but the tests and physicals they give you can be just as draining.

I actually met with 25 teams while I was out there. It was exciting to meet with all of the teams, but me being a Georgia boy, it was cool to meet Jim Mora Jr. from the Falcons. It was nice to meet all of the different NFL coaches who were there. I've sat down and watched all of these guys coach on TV, and now there they were, in the stands watching every move. Getting a chance to meet some of these guys was a thrill for me. It's crazy to think that all of your potential future coaches are watching you.

I just wish there was a way to measure the impact of every hit.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I remember my hardest hit in college came against Arkansas. This receiver named Decori Birmingham was running down the sidelines trying to score, and I don't know if he saw me or not, or if he just thought he could do what he wanted on his way to the end zone, but I just nailed him. And when you hit somebody like that, you have to say something. I talk all the time when I'm out on the field. Sometimes when you smack someone good, you don't really need to say anything because you can see it in their eyes, you can tell in their mannerisms when they get up

OP
OP
J

JWalkRulz84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All indications were that Davis would be taken, however that was before Detroit signed Kennedy, Minnesota signed Sharper, Kansas City signed Sammy Knight and there are a few others. Many mocks now have Davis falling, and if he is on the board at #24 and we take anyone except maybe Channing Crowder, I will be very pissed off. Davis gives us a punisher, and if Thomas is moved to Free Safety, Thomas will be very good in coverage and he might just be better than Darren "Everybody is" Sharper.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JWalkRulz84 said:
All indications were that Davis would be taken, however that was before Detroit signed Kennedy, Minnesota signed Sharper, Kansas City signed Sammy Knight and there are a few others. Many mocks now have Davis falling, and if he is on the board at #24 and we take anyone except maybe Channing Crowder, I will be very pissed off. Davis gives us a punisher, and if Thomas is moved to Free Safety, Thomas will be very good in coverage and he might just be better than Darren "Everybody is" Sharper.

This site here agrees with channing ... http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8289753

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because these other teams have grabbed players in the FA era.. this season, doesn't mean they won't grab this guy anyway.... like I said earlier - even Sharper would have to earn his keep, like on any team!

Reaction score
mel kiper jr has got davis going at #14 and hes nearly always right....but he sounds like a solid player...he also played great in the outback bowl against the badgers.
:p

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see the pickup, but don't think he will fall that far. I think he could have the same impact that Sean Taylor did last year for the Redskins. I think he helped their "D" a ton.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do have an extra second round pick so I could see them trading that to move up a few spots if he is available, it does sound like Chowder should be available at 24 either player would be a good fit.

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy with either of them. I don't think that TT will trade up though. More likely he is going to trade down to get more pics.

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL.com said that his draft status has slipped and is now a likely late first or early second round pick. He ran a slow 40 time at the combine. Now maybe we can get him!!! :cheerleader:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
grabthar said:
I'd be happy with either of them. I don't think that TT will trade up though. More likely he is going to trade down to get more pics.

Almost promise that he will not trade up. He knows he needs HIS players to replace Shermans LoL

Members online

Latest posts