1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Why Thomas Davis is the perfect fit for this D

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by JWalkRulz84, Mar 16, 2005.

1. JWalkRulz84

JWalkRulz84 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, we have glaring problems on our defense, we need help on our D-Line, Need another linebacker and depth at corner...Not to mention we do not have a safety capable of starting at this point. Defenses that excel have leaders not only at MLB, but at safety as well...Look at these defenses that were very well last season...

New England: Teddy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison
    Philadelphia: Jeremiah Trotter, Brian Dawkins
    Washington: Antoino Pierce, Sean Taylor
    Baltimore: Ray Lewis, Ed Reed
    Buffalo: Takeo Spikes, Lawyer Milloy

I could go on...

These defenses have versatile middle linebackers with a safety who has no fear of coming into the box and making a crushing blow. These safeties are also very good blitzers and can cover very well. Darren was a very good playmaker and an amazing ball-hawker...however his abilities to move in to the box and make a tackle diminshed incredibly. Here is an excerpt from what Thomas Davis said after the combine...

"I feel like I'm a guy that's going to work hard, play with a lot of intensity, hit a guy whenever it's needed," Davis said during the combine. "I'd rather be that safety that comes down in the box, fill the gap. I feel like I'm ready to take on an offensive line if need be."

That is the type of guys we have been lacking in Green Bay. Yes, we need a QB for the future and we have other glaring holes, however if we have the opportunity to nab a guy who is going to give 100% and is an obvious natural born leader, this is the guy.

2. grabthar

grabthar Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's an excellent point. I think that GB would be wise to build from the inside out.

3. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble is, according to all indications, he'll be long gone by the time the Packers pick. If he falls thru the cracks I'm sure the Pack would gobble him up, but I don't see that happening.

gravthar, you are right. Strength up the middle is important in all games from chess and checkeers to baseball and football to war(not a game of course but true). Many times that over looked for the flashy DE. The flashy DE is OK but you also have to be strong up the center or the team is split into two.

4. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    You and this guy http://www.askthecommish.com/2005nfldraft/ agree totally :)

http://georgiadogs.collegesports.com/sp ... mas00.html

Thomas Davis: Draft Diary
    The hardest hitter in this year's draft.
    March 10, 2005 - As told to Jon Robinson

5. JWalkRulz84

JWalkRulz84 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    All indications were that Davis would be taken, however that was before Detroit signed Kennedy, Minnesota signed Sharper, Kansas City signed Sammy Knight and there are a few others. Many mocks now have Davis falling, and if he is on the board at #24 and we take anyone except maybe Channing Crowder, I will be very pissed off. Davis gives us a punisher, and if Thomas is moved to Free Safety, Thomas will be very good in coverage and he might just be better than Darren "Everybody is" Sharper.

6. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 230 lbs.
    40: 4.53 - Combine

7. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

This site here agrees with channing ... http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8289753

8. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Just because these other teams have grabbed players in the FA era.. this season, doesn't mean they won't grab this guy anyway.... like I said earlier - even Sharper would have to earn his keep, like on any team!

9. chadjohnsonisawesome

chadjohnsonisawesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    mel kiper jr has got davis going at #14 and hes nearly always right....but he sounds like a solid player...he also played great in the outback bowl against the badgers.
    :p

10. grabthar

grabthar Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see the pickup, but don't think he will fall that far. I think he could have the same impact that Sean Taylor did last year for the Redskins. I think he helped their "D" a ton.

11. fondypackfan

fondypackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We do have an extra second round pick so I could see them trading that to move up a few spots if he is available, it does sound like Chowder should be available at 24 either player would be a good fit.

12. grabthar

grabthar Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be happy with either of them. I don't think that TT will trade up though. More likely he is going to trade down to get more pics.

13. BrettFavre4MVP

BrettFavre4MVP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    NFL.com said that his draft status has slipped and is now a likely late first or early second round pick. He ran a slow 40 time at the combine. Now maybe we can get him!!! :cheerleader:

14. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Almost promise that he will not trade up. He knows he needs HIS players to replace Shermans LoL