Why this season is necessary

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several months ago, I postured the idea that the Packers can't win all the time. I reported the string of success began by Ron Wolf would ultimately come to a close, as it has for every other team in this league. Many thought the Cowboys had a dynasty, the 49'ers, lately the Patriots.

You can't make the right decisions all the time, not all the players you thought would be good turn out that way, the breaks go against you.

And if you look real closely at the Packers lineup, you begin to rebuild.

Brett Favre is the constant through the times, and you can see how good he is to keep this team competitive.

But I really think it was time for a season like this to happen, so those folks who consider themselves 'fans' take a stock about why you support the team. Is it only when they win?

I also think playing the younger guys will reap huge dividends down the road.

The talk about firing Sherman is really off the wall, since most people recognize the team isn't that bad.(Most recent reference is in the Monday 10/31 from a Raven's scout, who said they were the 'scariest 1-6 team he's ever seen) This team has been in every game. And scoring 52 against the Saints was no fluke. What is off is the lineup changeover and the 'playing together' aspect. That is also what is affecting Minnesota, boatrides aside.

If TT hadn't done what he did, this season would have happened a couple of years down the road, probably when Brett was retired. Then you would have had Aaron Rodgers getting the living hell beaten out of him every week, producing nothing positive.

I see a bright future in a couple of years. I think next year will also be a bomb. But by 2007,you will see some outstanding playmakers on both sides of the ball.

I'm beginning to become very impressed with the Packers defense. Jim Bates has taken chicken crap and make chicken salad. Who could start Carroll and/or Thomas and still have a competitive secondary? He took Mark Roman (one of Sherman's so called wasted signings) and made him into a respectable safety. Nick Collins is on the verge of breaking out as a star, and Al Harris is playing a level above this year.

The linebackers are starting to show some 'sting', with the acquisition of Thomas showing some potential. They still need someone to take over in the Diggs/Lenon spot. The D-Line hasn't been good against the run, but they are starting to show some toughness, but not much pass rush, yet.

Overall, another year of Bates tutelage, and a couple studs and this defense could be special. When was the last time you said that?

The offense has been racked by injury. But even with injury, I'm really proud of guys like Antonio Chatman. He gets the living crap kicked out of himself everyweek and comes back like the Energizer Bunny. Donald Lee looks to be a find. Whittaker is still slow, but he will be coming on. Klemm looks like he's catching on. The center position is up in the air, and I'm not sold on Wells. The tackles each are not having good years, but both are NFL starter caliber.

Losing Green and Davenport might be a blessing. They need a good young stud there. Reggie Bush might look nice in a Green Bay uni. Walker will be back next year, and Murphy, but they still should look at a receiver, as who knows what their injuries will do for them.

Longwell might be gone. But lets take a moment to talk about B.J. Sander.
Mike Sherman was crucified for picking him. Sander shut up, did his job and has done pretty well. Where's the *****ing now?

In summary, there's no need to sink the boat and try to rebuild. Packers fans just have to hang in there, as truly better times are ahead.

Unfortunately, the better times will coincide with the rise of the Bears and Lions, so the North division should be very competitive in upcoming seasons. But to look for major change in this team would merely set everything back for years.

I look at Nebraska. Frank Solich posted a 9-2 record and the 'fans' wanted change. They got it. Bill Callahan. Oklahoma and Nebraska played this past weekend and hardly anyone noticed. Bob Stoops is overseeing an off year there, but no one is calling for his head.

No matter what level, you can't win all the time, every year. You can second-guess nearly any decision made from the comfort of your home, without regard to being on the front lines, seeing all the factors.

I'm going to remain optimistic for the rest of this year, knowing things are going to be better for years to come.

If you can't see that, well, sorry.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said net. Wise beyond your years.

BTW, I thought the D-line played the run pretty well yesterday. Rudi Johnson only averaged 3 yards per carry on 22 carries.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Net. This past summer I said I thought this would be a rebuilding year and it would take a couple of years to work thru it unless they get some big studs via frea agency next yr.
I never expected so many injuries.
I like the idea of the younger players getting some valuable experience since the season is all but lost.
From the long term perspective, it wuld be better for the team to finish 1-15 than 8-8. Although I will also say I would like to see them start to put the pieces together at the end of the season with a few wins.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of any of the teams in the NFC North, I am still frightened of the Packers the most. Even with the numerous injuries, Favre has and always had enough talent to be at least a huge threat. It may be that when the Bears play the Packers later in the year, your team will be a little healthier and a bit more frightening.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it net, you make a point, but specially talking about coaches you praised Master Bates who took Cow Crap and is turning it into filet mignon or duck crap and is turning it into canard a l`orange, can you say something similar about Rossley? no way he needs both hands to find his own butt. Can you say something similar about Sherman? No he has dissapointed me, and if you check my post from the press gazette I used to back him up, I was one of the so called Sherman backers, but not anymore I have came to a point in which I must see that he is not a winning coach and we need to get someone much more talented to be the Packers HC.

On the other hand I like what TT is doing, he is getting back things to order at home, he is cleaning a lot of crap from Sherman´s years as GM and setting up the new rules: We don´t want guys that come here to get the money and forget about football, we want Football players that are willing to give 110% every play, we are not going to fold under pressure from greedy players or agents, we will stand by our principles and we will be the best team in our conference again very soon.

As you point very clear a year like this must happen along the years and we are having it now so lets finish the cleaning and have a fresh start, but IMHO we need to get a new coach to do it better.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net said,

"If TT hadn't done what he did, this season would have happened a couple of years down the road, probably when Brett was retired. Then you would have had Aaron Rodgers getting the living hell beaten out of him every week, producing nothing positive."

So what you are saying Net..is screw Brett Favre and everything he has done for the Packers over the years...to have a team ready for Aaron Rodgers...who may never pan out....Let Favre take a beating this year and maybe next..for what..Aaron Rodgers? T

Nice...that's nonsensical..however...how about...let's protect Favre and getting him the weapons he needs because once he retires it will probably be a really, really loooong time before the Packers get back to the SB...Favre is the Pack's best shot for any kind of championships right now!

NEt also said..."The talk about firing Sherman is really off the wall.."

Really net...Why the hell not fire Sherman?.....if Sherman couldn't seriously compete in the playoffs with Brett Favre...how do you think he will fare with an untested rookie..? The guy has only played in college, net..you have NO idea how he will do in the NFL...(He may turn out to be Ryan Leaf!) Do you want to **** away Brett Favre's few remaining years with the Pack for an unknown? Plus SherRossley has f**** up so much in his own right, and made so many mistakes..he should have been fired years ago! Face it...net...he sucks..

Why did SherRossley and TT talk Favre into even coming back this year..if this was the plan..to get him killed behind a weak offensive line? To tutor Rodgers? To hope that one more year Favre can pull Sherman's weak *** act out of the fire and make it to the playoffs???

If so..they're even bigger scumbags then i give them credit for....

IF they've thrown Favre to the wolves this year..i don't want to hear anyone *****ing if Favre decides to go to a team that has a "legitimate chance" to go deep in the playoffs, or perhaps the SB..and to not play for a coach who's a friggin' moron....who sits on the sidelines with his thumb up his *** listening to his pet hump Rossley feed him ridiculous plays that don't work...from the booth...

they are a joke in this league..and most everyone but a few clueless souls on this forum...know it...

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66 Please think about this: After Sherman´s bad, very bad performance as GM had no chance and no maney left to get playmakers to the team, yes it is very sad that they have thrown Brett to the wolves and yes it is very sad that they are waisting the last years of this great player mostly due to Sherman´s mistakes.

Sometimes I think that I really would like Brett to retire and then see what Shermy can do without him, I am sure he will have a bunch of NFL records as the worst team ever, remember Slowick´s records? well we will have a bunch more, and then Sherman backers will have nothing to held on... But that will be very bad for the Packers, so I´d better dream that TT fires Shermy and gets a good HC in there, sometimes I dream that we get Sherman´s *** kicked far away from Lambeau and TT gives a chance to Master Bates, he deserves it after turning an extremelly bad defense into a competitive one.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post Net,
To bad it is wasted on the "FIRE SHERMAN AND ALL WILL BE WELL CROWD". They all have blinders on and no matter how much sense a post makes, they will never get it.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funny Buckeye..

That's exactly how we "Fire Sherman" crowd feel about you...

Just want you to know that just because we don't drink the Sherman kool-aid..we are any less fervent Packer fans then you are...

As a matter of fact..more so..because we want to get rid of El Stinko as HC ..and there are alot more of us out here than you even realize...

Maybe you are comfortable with returning to the mediocrity of the 70's and 80's..but we sure as hell are not...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make many good points as usual, net. I differ mainly in having much less confidence in Mike Sherman than you do.

You make a good point about next year probably also being a bomb. This team looks to be at least a couple years away from returning to prominence.

Reaction score
P@ck66, after this season, I will admit MS has let me down. But regardless, if you cannot see the Pack will NOT make a coaching change, then with all due respect, my friend you are being too narrow minded. Based on his record the past 4 years, MS will get another chance by TT. Whether it is right or wrong, I cannot say right now. But most importantly, TT in no way, shape, or form will let another Coach come on board while #4 is here. A new coach means a new O system, and Brett, IMO, is not willing to spend the time in understanding a new O system. I cannot say wheter it is right to fire MS as of right now, but I do know this much:

1) MS has made some mistakes during his time as Packers coach.
2) If you or I were Packers Coach, I'm sure we would have made a lot more mistakes than MS.
3) I trust in TT. And I trust in Bob Harlan. And I trust in God to do what is right for the pack. Therefore, I ulimately trust in MS as our coach.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers: Where is it that Brett Favre "made it clear he is not willing to spend the time in understanding the O system"? I've never heard him say anything like that. I think you are underestimating him. He's played through injuries, personal tragedy, a painkiller addiction, and massive changes in personnel. I really doubt that he would retire rather than learn a new offensive system.

Reaction score
Greg, appologies. It was a personal opinion, and I didn't make it sound like so. That's what you get when you're trying to hurry things up with kids coming to your house for candy.

Reaction score
lol. Actually, I would have used our basement to hideout, if it wasn't for the fact that it is damaged and I still haven't gotten around to repairing the flodding damage yet. :jumpflame:

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you are comfortable with returning to the mediocrity of the 70's and 80's..but we sure as hell are not...

You are completely wrong about me, let me tell you the difference between me and you.

Come Monday morning win or lose I am looking foward to the next game. Ready to support the team, anxiously waiting to see what changes and improvements are being made. I don't dwell on the past, you can't do anything about it, it's history.

You on the other hand can't let the smallest mistake go, you live to ***** and complain.

At the end of this year or next when Sherman gets fired and Brett retires, because the two go together, Brett will not want to learn a whole new system, Sherman goes and Brett is definately gone, how long is it untill you start complaining about the new coach. After 1 loss, 2. 3.....?

We both bleed Green and Gold, the difference is I always look toward the future and the positive, you are locked into the past and are always dwelling on the negative.

Firing Sherman at this point does no good.

Accept it and move on.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think all of this would be laid to rest if 66 would effectively criticize the team as a whole on occasion. instead, he focuses on one aspect of it week after week, thereby relieving blame from everyone aside from the head coach and the OC...which is a few steps above concern, it's obsessive, and it clearly alters the way he watches the Packers.

it's a cheap way to oversimplify a play, a game, a season, etc. maybe if his opinions weren't so one dimensional, more posters would take him seriously. until then, it's like playing a broken record...theres no reason to listen anymore.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Several months ago, I postured the idea that the Packers can't win all the time. I reported the string of success began by Ron Wolf would ultimately come to a close, as it has for every other team in this league. Many thought the Cowboys had a dynasty, the 49'ers, lately the Patriots.

You can't make the right decisions all the time, not all the players you thought would be good turn out that way, the breaks go against you.

And if you look real closely at the Packers lineup, you begin to rebuild.

Brett Favre is the constant through the times, and you can see how good he is to keep this team competitive.

But I really think it was time for a season like this to happen, so those folks who consider themselves 'fans' take a stock about why you support the team. Is it only when they win?

I also think playing the younger guys will reap huge dividends down the road.

The talk about firing Sherman is really off the wall, since most people recognize the team isn't that bad.(Most recent reference is in the Monday 10/31 from a Raven's scout, who said they were the 'scariest 1-6 team he's ever seen) This team has been in every game. And scoring 52 against the Saints was no fluke. What is off is the lineup changeover and the 'playing together' aspect. That is also what is affecting Minnesota, boatrides aside.

If TT hadn't done what he did, this season would have happened a couple of years down the road, probably when Brett was retired. Then you would have had Aaron Rodgers getting the living hell beaten out of him every week, producing nothing positive.

I see a bright future in a couple of years. I think next year will also be a bomb. But by 2007,you will see some outstanding playmakers on both sides of the ball.

I'm beginning to become very impressed with the Packers defense. Jim Bates has taken chicken crap and make chicken salad. Who could start Carroll and/or Thomas and still have a competitive secondary? He took Mark Roman (one of Sherman's so called wasted signings) and made him into a respectable safety. Nick Collins is on the verge of breaking out as a star, and Al Harris is playing a level above this year.

The linebackers are starting to show some 'sting', with the acquisition of Thomas showing some potential. They still need someone to take over in the Diggs/Lenon spot. The D-Line hasn't been good against the run, but they are starting to show some toughness, but not much pass rush, yet.

Overall, another year of Bates tutelage, and a couple studs and this defense could be special. When was the last time you said that?

The offense has been racked by injury. But even with injury, I'm really proud of guys like Antonio Chatman. He gets the living crap kicked out of himself everyweek and comes back like the Energizer Bunny. Donald Lee looks to be a find. Whittaker is still slow, but he will be coming on. Klemm looks like he's catching on. The center position is up in the air, and I'm not sold on Wells. The tackles each are not having good years, but both are NFL starter caliber.

Losing Green and Davenport might be a blessing. They need a good young stud there. Reggie Bush might look nice in a Green Bay uni. Walker will be back next year, and Murphy, but they still should look at a receiver, as who knows what their injuries will do for them.

Longwell might be gone. But lets take a moment to talk about B.J. Sander.
Mike Sherman was crucified for picking him. Sander shut up, did his job and has done pretty well. Where's the *****!ng now?

In summary, there's no need to sink the boat and try to rebuild. Packers fans just have to hang in there, as truly better times are ahead.

Unfortunately, the better times will coincide with the rise of the Bears and Lions, so the North division should be very competitive in upcoming seasons. But to look for major change in this team would merely set everything back for years.

I look at Nebraska. Frank Solich posted a 9-2 record and the 'fans' wanted change. They got it. Bill Callahan. Oklahoma and Nebraska played this past weekend and hardly anyone noticed. Bob Stoops is overseeing an off year there, but no one is calling for his head.

No matter what level, you can't win all the time, every year. You can second-guess nearly any decision made from the comfort of your home, without regard to being on the front lines, seeing all the factors.

I'm going to remain optimistic for the rest of this year, knowing things are going to be better for years to come.

If you can't see that, well, sorry.

I said it all along net, we cant win all the time and we cant stay on top forever.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
i think all of this would be laid to rest if 66 would effectively criticize the team as a whole on occasion. instead, he focuses on one aspect of it week after week, thereby relieving blame from everyone aside from the head coach and the OC...which is a few steps above concern, it's obsessive, and it clearly alters the way he watches the Packers.

it's a cheap way to oversimplify a play, a game, a season, etc. maybe if his opinions weren't so one dimensional, more posters would take him seriously. until then, it's like playing a broken record...theres no reason to listen anymore.

I really couldn't have put it any better than that! Not to say that my opinions aren't heavily weighted in one direction, but I really wish Pack would read what you just wrote.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Arrow..

Did you ever hear the saying..."Cut out the root of the offending cancer so that the patient will survive"..?

We'll Sherman is that cancer..whether you refuse to admit the truth or not..it doesn't change it...

Do you think NFL teams that have success do so without the benefit of a good HC...?

I think this season could have been salvaged if TT had gone out and gotten 1-2 backup veteran receivers who could step in..(like when Wolf got Beebe and K.Jackson) And i think the money was there..i just think TT is being overly frugal..and didn't act quick enough...

Now..the Pack have virtually no weapons and all of the ingrates are coming out of the woodwork and blaming Favre...this is the ultimate in treachery..but i will attribute it to certain posters (Musscy..et.al) youth and inexperience for they were not around to remember the 70's and 80's....

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack,
Consier what Arrow said rather than immediately getting defensive. It's obvious to a lot on the board that you go into ever packer game looking for situations where you could conceivably blame MS for something, meanwhile overlooking the performance or the effect of the contributions from others on the team.

If I went into every game thinking "I dislike Brett (or Bates or Grady, or whomever)" I could probably come up w/ a laundry lists of instances where they screwed up as well. I choose not to, however, and take each game at face value. As you know, I thought Brett's performance was attrocious on Sunday, but I'm going to be pulling for him come Sunday.

Out of curiosity, you just wrote that Brett has no talent thanks to TT and can't perform to his ability...well wouldn't a lack of talent at guard, receiver, and running back hurt MS' ability on offense as well? And keep in mind, MS isn't the one who let Rivera and Wahle go, or just try and sign Taco Wallace.

Members online

Latest posts