Why this is a Super Bowl caliber team

D

Deleted member 6794

One has to face the fact that Rodgers has taken a lot of hits over the years and the totality of those hits are starting to take its toll. He will never say it obviously but he doesn't seem to have the same swagger in the pocket as in years past. I think McCarthy needs to recognize this and reconfigure the offense for max protection taking this into account. The Patriots do this which is why Brady never gets hit, either now or in years past. Otherwise the Packers need to bring in a different coach and OC that will.

I don't think Rodgers not performing on an MVP level has anything to do with the hits he has taken over his career. The way the offensive line has protected the quarterback for most of the season there's no reason to use max protection on pass plays.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm pleasantly surprised by BahkT and the overall play of the offensive line in general in terms of pass protecting. A few lapses, but overall, very good. If i'd complain I'd just be nitpicking.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy that what is happening right now with this offense is just a carryover from last year. We had over 400 yards yesterday, and moved the ball fine, but we had some big turnovers and key penalties and mistakes. Last year, we just couldn't move the ball. Rodgers couldn't throw, receivers couldn't get open, Lacy couldn't run, and the line couldn't block. This isn't the same at all, and this offense looks much closer.

Also, you say Rodgers is a HOF QB in his prime, like he isn't the #1 reason the offense has been struggling. That very fact is exactly why I think the offense WILL turn around. Like you said, he's a HOF QB in his prime. It's highly unlikely that he just suddenly sucks at age 32.

I have no idea what you mean about Lacy. Dude is averaging 5.5 YPC this year and looked like a beast Sunday before he got hurt. Just because he looks big doesn't mean he's out of shape. He's always going to be a big back. You didn't think he was going to come into the season looking like Darren Sproles, did you?

There's always some excuse or qualification as to why they aren't getting it done. I call BS.
For a year now- 16 games or so, pick your starting point where it all started going to hell in a handbasket- it's been 'they'll get it turned around anytime now', or 'there's too much potential', etc, etc..
Last year, they couldn't move the ball, this year it's because they keep shooting themselves in the foot with drops, penalties and so on.
The pretty little stats have come in spurts- a drive here and there, a half, a quarter, then....nothing. Rodgers has looked like a JAG, not a HOF QB. Like a undrafted rookie thrown to the wolves or an average career backup.
So when does it turn around? Again, we're not talking a bad play or game here and their, or a so so month. This has been going on for quite a while, with no end in sight.
Maybe it's time to **** and just do it.
Or start coming to grips with maybe they're really not all that great after all.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers not performing on an MVP level has anything to do with the hits he has taken over his career. The way the offensive line has protected the quarterback for most of the season there's no reason to use max protection on pass plays.

Rodgers has been a big part of the problem, and as I've said several times before, 99% of it is from the neck up, which has also resulted in his fundamentals regressing to the point of a poor backup.
That, and his recievers can't get open, even when the OLine is giving their QB an hour and a half to find someone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's always some excuse or qualification as to why they aren't getting it done. I call BS.
For a year now- 16 games or so, pick your starting point where it all started going to hell in a handbasket- it's been 'they'll get it turned around anytime now', or 'there's too much potential', etc, etc..
Last year, they couldn't move the ball, this year it's because they keep shooting themselves in the foot with drops, penalties and so on.
The pretty little stats have come in spurts- a drive here and there, a half, a quarter, then....nothing. Rodgers has looked like a JAG, not a HOF QB. Like a undrafted rookie thrown to the wolves or an average career backup.
So when does it turn around? Again, we're not talking a bad play or game here and their, or a so so month. This has been going on for quite a while, with no end in sight.
Maybe it's time to **** and just do it.
Or start coming to grips with maybe they're really not all that great after all.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, last years struggles were different than this years slow start. The end result looks the same to fans, but the reasons aren't the same and I think this years are much more fixable and I see evidence of it already. They must become more consistent. They have to, no 2 ways about it. Or nothing will change. I think they can. We're not asking them to do things they haven't done consistently in the past. Even with Rodgers not playing outstanding, if Jordy doesn't drop catches in scoring position that result in an INT, or RR catches a perfect TD pass, things are looking a lot better. There are little things that need to be done better. I think they can

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, last years struggles were different than this years slow start. The end result looks the same to fans, but the reasons aren't the same and I think this years are much more fixable and I see evidence of it already. They must become more consistent. They have to, no 2 ways about it. Or nothing will change. I think they can. We're not asking them to do things they haven't done consistently in the past. Even with Rodgers not playing outstanding, if Jordy doesn't drop catches in scoring position that result in an INT, or RR catches a perfect TD pass, things are looking a lot better. There are little things that need to be done better. I think they can

Mistake free Football.....it's what is currently being played in Minnesota right now.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I had to bet, Mondio, I'd bet they can, and at least to some degree, will turn things around at some point.
But it's getting late in the day.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mistake free Football.....it's what is currently being played in Minnesota right now.
It is, and with that defense and getting special teams play, that will take them a long ways. But they're only a game away, and we've been playing and overcoming a lot of mistakes. How far away will they be when those are eliminated? Because I believe they will be for the most part by the time the end of this month rolls around.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe in what I originally posted, but it's contingent on Rodgers being the HOF QB we once knew, not this bad quarterback wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey that we're seeing every Sunday.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I still believe in what I originally posted, but it's contingent on Rodgers being the HOF QB we once knew, not this bad quarterback wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey that we're seeing every Sunday.
Unfortunately, as expressed by several others in other threads, this may be the new Aaron. <speakers on?>
http://geocities.ws/goose_topgun2k/keep.wav

Members online