Why this draft made no sense at all

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The philosophy is win as much as you can now while building a team that will remain strong in the future.

Why? Wouldn't it be better to just lose and get high draft picks? How does this do anything positive?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Oannes said:
I agree with your statement, but that's not germane to the point I was making. What direction is this team headed in? It sure doesn't look like "win now", so not trading with Cleveland makes little sense to me.

Doesn't make sense because you're not thinking it through.

Gamble to win now and mortgage the future right? Yeah, that's smart. How many teams has that been working for? It was only getting the Packers one and done in the playoffs.

This is what is hypocritical Zero. You say gambling now and mortgaging the future is a bad move. If we did that and failed we would be in bad cap space for 4-5 years to come. Now let's look at your way of thinking.

Build a team through the draft, and hope that in a few years we can be good. Well, what if that fails? Didn't we just lose 5-6 years? Either way if you fail you fail and waste years.

My point is why not take the chance NOW when you have Brett Favre instead of 3-4 years when we have a giant ? under center.

I agree with taking chances. I think we should be taking chances. I'm just not going to casterize my favorite team because they didn't take the risks I wanted them to.

Contrary to what some might think, there are a lot of things I wanted done the last couple years that havent. do you see me crying about it post after post ? no ... i try to find positives in what HAS been done.

Doesn't mean I'm right, or wrong. Same with many others. I simply chose to take a more mature approach about it all.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
The philosophy is win as much as you can now while building a team that will remain strong in the future.

Why? Wouldn't it be better to just lose and get high draft picks? How does this do anything positive?

Getting high draft picks doesn't equal wins.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Oannes said:
Bill Belichick is no fool. He traded a 4th for Randy. I don't think anyone on this earth would accuse Bill Belichick of mortgaging the future or gambling yet I'm getting blasted for questioning the philosophy of our GM?

Welcome to PackerForum. I swear Ted has 30 kids and they all reside here.

Statements like those are why you're ...a great poster.

And here we have his favorite son. The guy that just goes around stating nothing about football but trying to stir **** up. How many times have you been suspended again?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Well tell me the benefit

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oannes said:
Bill Belichick is no fool. He traded a 4th for Randy. I don't think anyone on this earth would accuse Bill Belichick of mortgaging the future or gambling yet I'm getting blasted for questioning the philosophy of our GM?

I'm beginning to think that too.

I actually like the job TT is doing. I think the 2006 draft was a solid A. I think the 2007 draft looked to fill our problems in Special Teams and stopping the run. The ONLY beef I had with TT was not adding one more playmaker for Favre, because we have serious Red Zone problems. I mentioned this, and had people jump down my throat. WTF? It's as if we're not allowed to criticize ANYTHING TT does.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Oannes said:
I agree with your statement, but that's not germane to the point I was making. What direction is this team headed in? It sure doesn't look like "win now", so not trading with Cleveland makes little sense to me.

Gamble to win now and mortgage the future right? Yeah, that's smart. How many teams has that been working for? It was only getting the Packers one and done in the playoffs.

This is what is hypocritical Zero. You say gambling now and mortgaging the future is a bad move. If we did that and failed we would be in bad cap space for 4-5 years to come. Now let's look at your way of thinking.

Build a team through the draft, and hope that in a few years we can be good. Well, what if that fails? Didn't we just lose 5-6 years? Either way if you fail you fail and waste years.

My point is why not take the chance NOW when you have Brett Favre instead of 3-4 years when we have a giant ? under center.

I agree with taking chances. I think we should be taking chances. I'm just not going to casterize my favorite team because they didn't take the risks I wanted them to.

Contrary to what your feeble mind things, there are a lot of things I wanted done the last couple years that havent. do you see me crying about it post after post ? no ... i try to find positives in what HAS been done.

Doesn't mean I'm right, or wrong. Same with many others. I simply chose to take a more mature approach about it all.

Tell me the difference in approaches. Why is taking 4-5 years building for the future better than going all out now and suffering through "cap hell" for 4- years.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
Oannes said:

The guy that just goes around stating nothing about football but trying to stir **** up.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Oannes said:

I'm beginning to think that too.

I actually like the job TT is doing. I think the 2006 draft was a solid A. I think the 2007 draft looked to fill our problems in Special Teams and stopping the run. The ONLY beef I had with TT was not adding one more playmaker for Favre, because we have serious Red Zone problems. I mentioned this, and had people jump down my throat. WTF? It's as if we're not allowed to criticize ANYTHING TT does.

It's friggin silly, you are not the only one to complain about this

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Well tell me the benefit

The benefit of what? (sorry im play gears of war so my mind is working even less than normal, yes thats possible! lol)

benefit to drafting low? It gives the teams with bad records a chance to pick whatever player from college they want before the better teams. but if you dont know how to select a player, the benefit is zero.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
Oannes said:

The guy that just goes around stating nothing about football but trying to stir **** up.

Another fact laden, plethora of football knowledge post.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Well tell me the benefit

The benefit of what? (sorry im play gears of war so my mind is working even less than normal, yes thats possible! lol)

benefit to drafting low? It gives the teams with bad records a chance to pick whatever player from college they want before the better teams. but if you dont know how to select a player, the benefit is zero.

No, the benefit of trying to win now while building for the future

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
Oannes said:

Another fact laden, plethora of football knowledge post.

Kinda like this one:

so once again...

[/quote]

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Oannes said:

Contrary to what some might think, there are a lot of things I wanted done the last couple years that havent. do you see me crying about it post after post ? no ... i try to find positives in what HAS been done.

Tell me the difference in approaches. Why is taking 4-5 years building for the future better than going all out now and suffering through "cap hell" for 4- years.

I see your point, I'm not denying that. Who said we're building for 4-5 years from now? From everything I've heard we're building to win now and in the future. Although I can think of some contradictions to that.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This was your original statement. You talk about gambling for the future being silly. Yet you also say Ted needs time to build a team. Either way if you fail you are losing 4-5 years. If we win a SB in 2010, which a few posters predicted, then we wasted 5-6 years building that team. Thats the same as winning one now and putting us in Cap Hell for the next couple of years. Why is the first way better?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

This was your original statement. You talk about gambling for the future being silly. Yet you also say Ted needs time to build a team. Either way if you fail you are losing 4-5 years. If we win a SB in 2010, which a few posters predicted, then we wasted 5-6 years building that team. Thats the same as winning one now and putting us in Cap Hell for the next couple of years. Why is the first way better?

When I say the future I'm talking like how the Redskins go about business. Just sign anyone to a big contract because they performed well with a different team. If they don't perform well, you lose out big time. Which happens more times than not btw.

Ted has had his time. This season we NEED to see more improvement. We finished off good. We got some improvement but it needs to continue. If we go 8 - 8 again or worse ... well ... thats ****ing bad. I want to see atleast 10- 6 and a playoff game for progress. ATLEAST.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:

seriously? you really asking this?

Yes, you think Ted should halfass his attempt to win now? Thats absurd.
I never said he was trying halfass to win now. I've been saying hes trying to win now while providing a solid future.

He says he wants to win now and build a solid core for NOW and the FUTURE.

I know its Sat night and you're bored, but dude, stop trying to twist my **** around lol

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:

When I say the future I'm talking like how the Redskins go about business. Just sign anyone to a big contract because they performed well with a different team. If they don't perform well, you lose out big time. Which happens more times than not btw.

Ted has had his time. This season we NEED to see more improvement. We finished off good. We got some improvement but it needs to continue. If we go 8 - 8 again or worse ... well ... thats ****ing bad. I want to see atleast 10- 6 and a playoff game for progress. ATLEAST.

OK, I got that. But your statement was that by signing big time guy you are gambling the future. This isn't even entirely true but lets say it is. Let's say that We go out and sign a bunch of people to make a run this year. We will have to pay for 3-4 years in the future. Obviously Ted fixed the cap problem in 3 years so it can be done. So we wasted 3-4 years.

Now, what if Ted builds this team and in 2009 we win a SB. Didn't we just wastes 4-5 years building it? What is the difference

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:

seriously? you really asking this?

Yes, you think Ted should halfass his attempt to win now? Thats absurd.
I never said he was trying halfass to win now. I've been saying hes trying to win now while providing a solid future.

He says he wants to win now and build a solid core for NOW and the FUTURE.

I know its Sat night and you're bored, but dude, stop trying to twist my **** around lol

I'm trying to understand it. To build a team for the future you have to sacrifice a few years. Obviously Ted has the future in mind so he can't throw caution to the wind and go crazy signing FA's to win now. To me, that halfass wanting to win now.

Why even make a attempt to win now if you are just building for the future?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand it. To build a team for the future you have to sacrifice a few years. Obviously Ted has the future in mind so he can't throw caution to the wind and go crazy signing FA's to win now. To me, that halfass wanting to win now.

You are so aggravating. What are they supposed to do, forfeit their games?

GEEZ PEOPLE IT'S NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
signing one big name FA i dont think is mortaging the future, of course it depends on the contract signed.

I think you have this notion theres a recipe for winning a SB. you do as much as you can for the upcoming season while keeping the seasons after the current one in mind. its really not that complicated to understand, but you're just trying to find a specific plan that works.

bro, i dont think ya gonna figure one out ...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
signing one big name FA i dont think is mortaging the future, of course it depends on the contract signed.

I think you have this notion theres a recipe for winning a SB. you do as much as you can for the upcoming season while keeping the seasons after the current one in mind. its really not that complicated to understand, but you're just trying to find a specific plan that works.

bro, i dont think ya gonna figure one out ...

Look, I know thier isn't a recipe for winning the Super Bowl but YOU make it sound like thier is. What would happen if GB made a push THIS YEAR by signing big time FA's similar to what NE is doing? You say thats mortgaging the future 3-4 years and you could be right. However if you take 4-5 years to build a winning team isn't that the same.

YOU said the approch was ignorant because you jeopardize the next few years. Are we not jeopardizing years right now building for the future?

So, once again how is it different?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

You are so aggravating. What are they supposed to do, forfeit their games?

GEEZ PEOPLE IT'S NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND

I'm aggravating because you can't answer this question. In 2 pages noone answered the original question presented by the poster. If Ted is building for the future why did we sign an old injury prone CB? Why didn't he tell Brett This? Why not make the trade with Cleveland for a #1 next year?

Its a legitimate question. The answer I got was Ted was trying to win now while still building for the future. To me, that says Ted is HALFASS trying to win now.

Members online

Latest posts