Why this draft made no sense at all

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why this thread makes no sense - Should have been the title.

When and how did this years draft turn into a hawk vs Urlacher thread and what does that have to do with this years draft? Good lord. You guys will argue about anything.

OP
OP
O

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However relevant you choose to make me is completely your call. I question most Packer fans, shoot any fans, OBJECTIVITY.

I'm sensing that OBJECTIVITY=ARROGANCE and IRRELEVANCE. That is your view.

The understanding here leaves a lot to be desired. Is that arrogant to say? That is my honest opinion. I don't feel superior to any of you, but I promise you I'm a lot more objective in my subjective opinion. :)

I love the math like summary of LB positions and the point out that SAM is what was being referenced. Did you think I didn't know that SAM was referenced in the article? I'm the one who read it and the copy and pasted the parts I wanted. Barnett was only a consideration for SAM last season when Hawk arrived. Why? Barnett had previously been thought of to move to Will for all his previous years...yes DUE TO SIZE, which I pointed out in an earlier post (wish people would read) and due to the ability to ALLOW HIM TO MAKE MORE PLAYS. I don't understand how you don't get this. Why would you consider moving Barnett to a different position if he was so frickin productive at Mike? You certainly don't consider moving him to Will to make his numbers drop...he said in the article I used that Mike and Will are the productive spots. I get that. Will is the spot that a guy is more likely to be unblocked, hence, ABLE TO MAKE MORE PLAYS. Geez. I'm at a loss.

I've told you the way it works and you continually bash and make counter arguments that are irrelevant. Just so we don't have to go through this again...

+++++IMPORTANT++++++ Before anyone comes here and says why would they move Barnett to SAM then, you were saying WILL. Barnett was always talked about being moved to Will BEFORE Hawk's arrival. Hawk has the greater skill set/athleticism therefore Hawk was slated to be in the PLAYMAKING POSITION because of his gifts being greater than Barnett's. The ONLY time Barnett was talked about being moved to Sam was AFTER HAWK CAME. Barnett was our biggest playmaker and they wanted him to be more of one at WIL. Now, Hawk is the one thought best equipped to be the playmaker and that is why he is the WIL. It is NOT to be less productive than the Mike.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you think I didn't know that SAM was referenced in the article? I'm the one who read it and the copy and pasted the parts I wanted. Barnett was only a consideration for SAM last season when Hawk arrived. Why?
It was because we essentially had 3 capable MLBs from a size/skill standpoint in Hodge, Barnett and Hawk. And, GB was exploring ways to get all three on the field. When Poppinga showed promised at SAM, Barnett and Hawk went to their more natural position (which was probably for the best).

Teams tinker all the time in the offseason but we ended up with the right mix for the season.

Barnett had previously been thought of to move to Will for all his previous years...yes DUE TO SIZE
Exactly. Barnett is a very versatile LB and if we had two bigger guys, there was some though to moving him to WLB earlier in his career because of fears he was too small to hold up at MLB. However, once Barnett began to progress at the MLB spot (esp in 05), that idea didn't make as much sense and he showed he could do well there.

Why would you consider moving Barnett to a different position if he was so frickin productive at Mike?
I'll put it this way. You have 3 OL - a very good center who can play guard, a good center and an average guard. Now, the first guy may be the best center, but if you start him you end up with an average guard next to him. If, instead, you start the good center and move the first guy to guard, you end up with a better OL (even though the second best center is starting).

You want to get the three best LBs on the field if possible. If that means moving a versatile guy like Barnett to do so, then you have to think about it.

+++++IMPORTANT++++++ Before anyone comes here and says why would they move Barnett to SAM then, you were saying WILL. Barnett was always talked about being moved to Will BEFORE Hawk's arrival. Hawk has the greater skill set/athleticism therefore Hawk was slated to be in the PLAYMAKING POSITION because of his gifts being greater than Barnett's. The ONLY time Barnett was talked about being moved to Sam was AFTER HAWK CAME. Barnett was our biggest playmaker and they wanted him to be more of one at WIL. Now, Hawk is the one thought best equipped to be the playmaker and that is why he is the WIL. It is NOT to be less productive than the Mike.
Now, you are arguing with yourself. I think I will just let you continue to do so.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I am trying to SORT out here is what RELEVANCE any of this has to the original theme of the ****ing thread. OK?

I really am OBJECTIVELY trying to find how all of this ties in with "this draft made no sense" and offering to you that maybe staying on point will make threads less "pointless".

If that observation makes me arrogant than so be it.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my take. We became an old team all of a sudden and had bad drafts that didn't fill voids under Sherman. Paying 3 to 10 million for an aging receiver with attitude problems who hasn't had a top ten year for a receiver in the past 3 years would not solve the problem. Last year we got some quality players that were young and added depth and 4 starters. I am willing to wait and see this year. But we are reaching the point where we are a "good" team (8-8) with a young roster. The draft that will tell me what TT is doing is next year. We need to trade up then for impact players instead of trading down for depth. The one thing I am most disappointed in is our RB situation. It is very average and unless the rookie comes in and performs at a higher level than most people believe he can we will see a lot of blitzing safeties and LB and teams focusing on our passing game. They couldn't last year with Green. We also didn't address TE that could have helped. Our offense will be worse but our defense better.
Here is what I would do:

1. make a serious offer to Keyshawn, 2-3 million per year with two years quaranteed. As a third receiver he is almost like a TE with his blocking ability.
2. Make an offer to the Vikings for Chester Taylor. Quality RB and they drafted Adrian Peterson. Offer a two next year and see what they say.
3. Offer KGB for trade while he still has some value or maybe add him in the Chester Taylor deal.
4. Talk to Houston about what it would take for Andre Johnson. Or Arizona for one of their receivers. Or Oakland for Jerry Porter, offer one of our young OL and a fourth round pick next year.
5. If Favre is hurt or not effective put Rodgers in. Favre will leave in the next two years anyway so start getting ready for the future.

We don't know what has been done we have glaring holes at RB and TE that I hoped would be filled in the draft.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this draft makes perfect sense.

Since Hawk got all his tackles because Barnett missed so many tackles yet Hawk ain't Urlacher we need another Harris which we got with Harrell.

I spent better time counting the number of times my daughter could get the hula hoop to go around her hips.

OP
OP
O

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure your daughter appreciates your interest in her hula hooping.

Glad the draft makes perfect sense to you.

I hope Justin Harrell is another Tommie Harris like you do.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I guess since we as fans have nothing more constructive than hope to offer maybe we ought to offer it regardless of who the name on the back of the jersey is.

OP
OP
O

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assure you... I'm not a Bears fan, although, I do hate the Vikings more.

I just try to see Green Bay like I would all the other teams.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hates everyone equally. :thumbsup:
(just kidding!) It was a good line.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.... although, I do hate the Vikings more...

HEY!

I am just an observer in this issue, but he sounds like a cheesehead to me.

I think what throws you guys off, is that Oannes is articulate. :razz:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oannes said:
.... although, I do hate the Vikings more...

HEY!

I am just an observer in this issue, but he sounds like a cheesehead to me.

I think what throws you guys off, is that Oannes is articulate. :razz:
And I'm NOT articulate?
I think he just said he hates the Vikings to throw us off.

OP
OP
O

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have no idea how much I hate the Vikes. I lived in the area most of my life and can't stand the purple clowns! A ton of my friends are huge Viking fans. It makes for quite the rivalry.

A Viking fan would know a true Packer fan.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That concept is LOST on here. You will find out soon. I appreciate your posts and look forward to more of them.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ah, something we agree on. I hate the Vikings more as well. They are actually and NFC team that if they got to the SB:):snicker::) I would root for the AFC team.

That being said I can see why you would want to view the Packers like any other team and objectivity is always a good thing, but for the life of me I can't understand how you view the Giants, Titan, and Jags as playoff calibur teams.

OP
OP
O

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, Cory. The Giants were in the playoffs last year. Jags were there recently and have a nice defense. Leftwich is healthy. Can that word be used in the same sentence with him?

The Titans is the biggest stretch, but Vince Young is someone I believe in. He has "it". Favre had "it" many years ago. Jeff Fisher is a tremendous coach and I like the O. Coord. Norm Chow. Losing Pacman will hurt them but I think a full year under Vince's belt and a chance to start from Game 1 in '07 will be enough to get them there. Vince was 8-5 as a rookie starter. He won games and was the kind of impact (oops here comes a fight) rookie you hope for when you draft a guy that high! :)

The fact you hate the Vikes just made me respect you more than anything else you could've said.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, Cory. The Giants were in the playoffs last year. Jags were there recently and have a nice defense. Leftwich is healthy. Can that word be used in the same sentence with him?

I just look at the Giants last year and they lose Barber, their LT and I believe another guard, a starting corner, their recievers are aging rapidly with no young studs in sight, Manning is very inconsistant and Coughlin may be a lame duck coach. They haven't done much to replace any of that other than draft Aaron Ross and he will most likely start immidiately. If he cant then they are in trouble. The Jags have an outstanding rush attack and a solid D. Without their two DT's, though, their D gets rather pedestrian really fast and that's part of why I like the Harrell pick is because if he pans out he could do wonders for the D, IMO. I loved Leftwhich coming out of college, but I didn't think he'd be THAT slow dropping back and releasing or THAT innaccurate on his shorter throws.

The Titans is the biggest stretch, but Vince Young is someone I believe in. He has "it". Favre had "it" many years ago. Jeff Fisher is a tremendous coach and I like the O. Coord. Norm Chow. Losing Pacman will hurt them but I think a full year under Vince's belt and a chance to start from Game 1 in '07 will be enough to get them there. Vince was 8-5 as a rookie starter. He won games and was the kind of impact (oops here comes a fight) rookie you hope for when you draft a guy that high! :)

Grrrrr snarl snarl....Young is a special player for sure. I agree Fischer is an excellent coach and it's a good thing they didn't fire him. The problem I forsee with Tennessee is they lost Travis Henry and he was VERY key in their success last year. As much as VY. Lendale White hasn't shown much of anything besides a bad attitude. They did nearly nothing to help VY this year and they had better get Keyshawn because their recievers are baaaaaaad. But, cmon now. Ya can't compare a QB and a LBer as far as impacting football games. What do they always say "you never pass on a franchise QB" ?

The fact you hate the Vikes just made me respect you more than anything else you could've said.

The funny part is when their fans call Brad Childress "ned flanders"...that is hilarious.

OP
OP
O

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make some good points on the Giants. Barber's departure is huge as is Couglin's status. I can't believe they kept him around. Makes no sense. I'm still high on Jacksonville and the Titans.

I "visit" and am not welcome at a Vikings board where they refer to him as... Mr. Noodle. If you have kids and have seen Sesame Street you know who I'm talking about. That Childress is one WEIRD guy. He looks like he could have 10 heads buried under his house. As much as I was disappointed by the McCarthy hire, I'm relieved he's in Minnesota.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have no idea how much I hate the Vikes. I lived in the area most of my life and can't stand the purple clowns! A ton of my friends are huge Viking fans. It makes for quite the rivalry.

A Viking fan would know a true Packer fan.
LOLOL!!! I guess you ARE a Packer fan!!! Stated VERY nicely!!! :rotflmao: :thumbsup:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oannes said:

That concept is LOST on here. You will find out soon. I appreciate your posts and look forward to more of them.
LOL! How funny.......he agrees with you, thus you look forward to his posts. I wrote something similar awhile back, telling someone how i liked what they posted, and YOU blasted me for "attaboying" the person.
How hypocritical.

Members online

Latest posts