Why T.Thompson is good? He picked AJ Hawk over Vernon Davis

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Ted Thompson's 1st round draft picks.

Aaron Rodgers last year and AJ Hawk this year.

A.Rodgers I've spoke about at length so we don't have to cover that.

The one who laud him over is his pick of AJ Hawk.
There were lots of people who wanted Vernon Davis on the packers so Favre had a big play threat at Tight End to have at his diposal.

Why T.THompson is a good GM?

A.J. Hawk. He's a workout freak who trains hard and is well prepared. He is picking things up and his work ethic and study habits will get him to the solid if not elite level. He's just slowly getting better and better. Solid tackler. He just needs to get comfortable w/the NFL game and the defensive scheme and he'll be a solid pick.

Vernon Davis? Let's see, in San Francisco, coaches have quietly whispered about his intelligence (He's having trouble picking up Norv Turners's Dallas offense which is head and shoulders easier than the West Coast Offense), He doesn't run as fast as his 4.3 second 40 yard dash time, he can't catch the ball (he can't be effective if he doesn't catch anything), AND he's injury prone..(hamstring/knee injury ..been out 4-6 weeks. They're incumbent tight end Eric Johnson who is slower and not as athletic was proven to be MORE effective even when Vernon Davis was healthy. Also Vernon Davis was criticized for not having good Tight End blocking technique. And San Francisco gave him 40 million?
Good luck.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Why T.Thompson is good? He picked AJ Hawk over Vernon D

Even if TT had taken Davis (perish the thought) I question whether he would have been any help. Hell, we have 4 (count 'em) TEs on this team and NONE of them is doing anything to win games. What good would another TE be? Besides, LB was a big weakness for us and AJ was an instant upgrade, no doubt. With his work ethic and talent, he will be a solid pro for years to come. Both of TT's 1st rd. picks were no-brainers. That's one very important stat. Even Wolf didn't do that.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT can get credit for this, but it would have been foolish for GB to select a TE in the first round. Just last year TT signed Franks to a long-term deal and we already have Martin, Lee and Humphrey to back him up.

On the other side, Hawk was a proven talent at a position that needed to be upgraded. All of TT's offseason moves were to improve the defense. So it only made sense that he was going to pick Hawk over Davis.

Give him credit, but there was nothing extraordinary about that pick.

WhatcaNbrOwnDo4U

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greenbay made the right pick, but you guys are taking alot away from Vernon Davis. He got injured, injuries happen. But he is a game changing player.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greenbay made the right pick, but you guys are taking alot away from Vernon Davis. He got injured, injuries happen. But he is a game changing player.

I'm not looking to take anything away from Davis. He's an athletic freak who was struggling to catch on in his rookie year and got injured. Setbacks happen to many rookies -- Hawk also started off slow.

The point I was trying to make is that TE was solid position for GB with good, young depth. LB was a position that needed an upgrade. TT was going after impact defensive players in the offseason. All these things made picking Hawk an obvious choice.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree that TT needs to be recognized for being stoic in his decision making. Many of us (me included) get frustrated with the guy because he is so robotic... you can't get a read on him. But he has the balls to make the tough choices. Now it's time for us to wait and see if those ballsy moves were good ones or not. I am SOOOO glad he picked AJ Hawk, and was bit worried that we would end up with Davis. Not that he sucks, but c'mon, AJ Hawk's an animal.

Reaction score
While TT must be applauded for his selectinos, and "eye" for talent so to speak, I would think he is still suspect in the area of Free Agency, and also in the area of giving his coaches more to work with during the season.

I think he has improved in the area from last year, but is still suspect at best.

He still has a ways to go before he can get this team back on track, or be classified as a good GM in the NFL.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz not bustin your balls or anything, but i dont think TT cares if the fans can get a read on him. its not really his job to be a charismatic fireball, but it is his job to put the right people on the field. I think hes done a decent job so far. And his drafts are the high lights.

Also his stoic, unreadable, and often contradicting moves could be helpful in the market. When people cant predict what your gonna do, negotiations kinda lean towards your side. you gain the upperhand by being unpredictable.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

T. Thompson Is Awesome for taking GREG JENNINGS!!! YA HE IS MY BEST FRIEND NICE MOVE TT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz not bustin your balls or anything, but i dont think TT cares if the fans can get a read on him. its not really his job to be a charismatic fireball, but it is his job to put the right people on the field. I think hes done a decent job so far. And his drafts are the high lights.

Also his stoic, unreadable, and often contradicting moves could be helpful in the market. When people cant predict what your gonna do, negotiations kinda lean towards your side. you gain the upperhand by being unpredictable.

right, but what i'm saying is that the GM makes the moves and lives with the consequences. He has done some things that have been very unpopular with the fans. I don't think he cares whether or not we can get a read on him, but i believe he has made some tough decisions; decisions that he knows will be (at least initially) met with opposition by the fans. And regardless of our thoughts on him, it is his job to keep the fans happy, because it is ultimately we who are responsible for him having a job.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

right, but what i'm saying is that the GM makes the moves and lives with the consequences. He has done some things that have been very unpopular with the fans. I don't think he cares whether or not we can get a read on him, but i believe he has made some tough decisions; decisions that he knows will be (at least initially) met with opposition by the fans. And regardless of our thoughts on him, it is his job to keep the fans happy, because it is ultimately we who are responsible for him having a job.

It is his job to keep us happy but it is achieved by putting a winning team on the field. Let's face it, We don't know what all is involved in his decision making process. now are any of us knowledgeable enough to do his job....much less better than him? Do you think he could come in and immediately know how to do your job? I know he couldn't with mine.

He is a bit stoic to be sure. But so was Wolf. Part of the reason is because he can't get too close to his people otherwise he would lose his objectivity. That can be disasterous. I think this was part of Sherman's struggles.

While the fans might not like all his moves, we must keep in mind that he is trying to achieve what is best for the Green Bay Packers. If he achieves that...we fans will be happy.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

i definetly agree with that ... he has made some unpopular decisions. i cant say their good or bad yet really. but i have seen more good than bad. but thats just my opinion . making those unpopular decisions in a franchise where the fan base is so close and so attatched to the team is very hard and you gotta give him credit for having the balls to do what he thinks is right despite it. however you are right, our happiness is the biggest factor in his employment. but i think our happiness will only come into play in a couple years.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have said, Hawk was the obvious pick, or at least the clear front-runner. Rodgers was a fairly obvious pick as well, though of course it's harder to tell how he's going to turn out. It's hard to tell how most of Thompson's picks are going to turn out. This year's draft class is looking pretty good overall, but last year's does not look nearly as good now as it did a year ago.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vernon Davis was a horrible pick. He was all hype only from his draft workouts. A game changing player? He wasn't even a game changing player in college. His stats sucked, granted his team and his quarterback sucked, but still, he hasn't ever produced.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Hawk pick was a no-brainer, and hardly does anything to substantiate TT as a good GM. IMO, the Jennings pick is the one that TT deserves a pat on the back for.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Hawk pick was a no-brainer, and hardly does anything to substantiate TT as a good GM. IMO, the Jennings pick is the one that TT deserves a pat on the back for.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Couldn't agree more. Though I discovered Jennings as well and actually called the pick. :thumbsup:

If I can do it TT can do it. So maybe that isn't such a good thing. :rubeyes:

I'm confused... :tantrum:

Edit: Sorry I had to use the the smilies.

Seriously, Jennings is a more of a testament to TT as a GM than AJ Hawk would be. Everyone had Hawk to GB. It was no secret.

Members online

Latest posts