Why So Many Packers to the Vikings?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a New Yorker I can only watch from afar, but seems to me that this phenomenon is on the Vikings part a mix of getting good players to fill holes (as free agency is intended to be used), combined with intentionally taking away a good player from the franchise they hate/wish they could be. It really is an interesting thing, this Packer-Viking pillage.

The interesting question is...have the Vikings acquired a similar amount of free agents from other NFC N teams? I know the talent level on the Bears/Lions hasn't quite matched Green Bay over the last 20 years or so, but there have been good players there, and lots of opportunities for the Queens to "do the same thing" to a division foe. If they haven't done this, they pretty clearly have some kind of a complex with "sticking it" to the Pack. Kind of sad really...I kinda feel for Vikings fans who feel like they don't have their own tradition/identity.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, this thread asked why so many Packers to the Vikings? Simple answer: Minnesota is a better place to live. Minnesota: Beautiful women, Fortune 500 companies, plenty of fine dining, arts and culture. Wisconsin: Possum hunting, fat women in plaid shirts, getting drunk in the local tavern.
Dry counties, no Super Bowl wins and ain't she perrty. But a lot of shelf space.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It's simple really. The Packers didn't want to pay them.

Sharper cut because he cost to much.
Longwell not re-signed because he would cost to much.
Jennings not re-signed because he would cost to much.
Favre, well he was an ex-Jet when he became a Viking.

It's not rocket science. If is finance.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, this thread asked why so many Packers to the Vikings? Simple answer: Minnesota is a better place to live. Minnesota: Beautiful women, Fortune 500 companies, plenty of fine dining, arts and culture. Wisconsin: Possum hunting, fat women in plaid shirts, getting drunk in the local tavern.
This arrogance is so common among MN people which is enough to keep me on this side of the river.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This arrogance is so common among MN people which is enough to keep me on this side of the river.
So what you are saying is you never go over the High Bridge to Duluth? I could never give up Grandmas. I would have to go over the river. I could use a "Dante's Inferno" right now. Maybe the next time I am in WI I will have to make a trip to Superior/Duluth for that reason.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you are saying is you never go over the High Bridge to Duluth? I could never give up Grandmas. I would have to go over the river. I could use a "Dante's Inferno" right now. Maybe the next time I am in WI I will have to make a trip to Superior/Duluth for that reason.

I thought Viking fans drove to Green Bay to visit the Lombardi trophies... God knows you won't see them in Minnesota

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I thought Viking fans drove to Green Bay to visit the Lombardi trophies... God knows you won't see them in Minnesota
Been there, done that. Don't need to go back.
I haven't had a "Dante's Inferno" since 1984. But it would be worth the trip. That and maybe to see a 1,000 footer go through the canal again.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Couldn't remember the last time I've been to Grandma's. And I don't really need to venture over there too often, couple times a month maybe.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Pretty sad that jennings will be the best WR minn has has since moss or carter. I think it is perfectly fine that they take our used up players.......they have that "garage sale" philosophy, you can find some decent **** at a garage sale once in a while, but it will end up breaking soon after buying it. Have fun with a guy who will keep that pine bench nice and toasty warm with a fat wallet giving him back problems.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Pretty sad that jennings will be the best WR minn has has since moss or carter. I think it is perfectly fine that they take our used up players.......they have that "garage sale" philosophy, you can find some decent **** at a garage sale once in a while, but it will end up breaking soon after buying it. Have fun with a guy who will keep that pine bench nice and toasty warm with a fat wallet giving him back problems.
Funny, I thought Harvin was pretty good. Seems to me that a lot of Packer fans wouldn't have minded have Harvin on the Packers. Besides, they weren't used up. Well maybe Favre was. Most the Packers just didn't want to pay.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. I actually have some manner of respect for the Bears

Agreed. At least the Bears have some accomplishments in their franchise history. From the way the Vikings fans act, you'd think they have a overflowing trophy case, not an organization that has to hang their hat every year whether or not they can beat the Packers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikes like to see what a Championship ring looks like, and maybe touch one.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Agreed. At least the Bears have some accomplishments in their franchise history. From the way the Vikings fans act, you'd think they have a overflowing trophy case, not an organization that has to hang their hat on whether or not they can beat the Packers every year.

If the vikes organization keeps going the way it is financially, their stands may just be as empty as their trophy case. Hell, they damn near got moved to L.A. and they can't afford to update and or build a new stadium to replace that pup tent that they play in now. I laughed my *** off when their roof caved in on that hobo house they play in.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, I thought Harvin was pretty good. Seems to me that a lot of Packer fans wouldn't have minded have Harvin on the Packers. Besides, they weren't used up. Well maybe Favre was. Most the Packers just didn't want to pay.
I wouldn't have minded Harvin (sensibly priced) donning the Green and Gold. But how is pointing out a player that fans coveted relevant to a conversation talking about the inter divisional contract offers, focusing on the volume of players funneling from one team to another? I agree that it is probably all financially motivated on the players' part, but I do think that the Vikings specifically target ex-Packers when they enter the open FA market. Nothing wrong with it, just an observation.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
If the vikes organization keeps going the way it is financially, their stands may just be as empty as their trophy case. Hell, they damn near got moved to L.A. and they can't afford to update and or build a new stadium to replace that pup tent that they play in now. I laughed my *** off when their roof caved in on that hobo house they play in.
You really should follow the NFL in general. For your info the Vikings are getting a new stadium.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I wouldn't have minded Harvin (sensibly priced) donning the Green and Gold. But how is pointing out a player that fans coveted relevant to a conversation talking about the inter divisional contract offers, focusing on the volume of players funneling from one team to another? I agree that it is probably all financially motivated on the players' part, but I do think that the Vikings specifically target ex-Packers when they enter the open FA market. Nothing wrong with it, just an observation.
Well the Harvin remark was in direct response to someone else's comment that Jennings was the best WR on the Vikings since Moss.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man my foot tastes good this week. Hahaha. To be fair though, Harvin was the first Vikes WR I wanted to see in a Packers uniform since Moss. And I do think that Jennings is a better pure WR than Harvin, but Harvin is hands down the better all around football player of the two.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Jennings owns harvin, at least that is a positive thing for me to say.

Oh, btw......when's that new stadium coming? you might not even be alive if and when that happens.

When they do build you a new stadium, make sure to go down there and remind them to build you guys that extra large trophy case.....ya know....so the cleaning lady will have something easy to dust.

Reaction score
Why,
Because they will pay them! They work on the "band aid" philosophy of building a team. I have no problem with Greg going to play for the Vikings. I'm glad he got his payday. I am shocked at the bull **** that some Packers fans are saying about Jennings. It's embarrassing! I live on the west side of Wisconsin and have to listen to this day in and day out.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of angry pants fans that can't separate their wants from the reality of football. It's grown men playing sports for a living - meaning it's their job. How many of you stuck with your first employer instead of hopping to a higher paying one at another place?

Jennings was one of the nicest guys in the locker room. If you can get worked up over Jennings playing for a rival team then you're probably only typing posts in between bouts of kicking the dog and beating your wife.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's simple really. The Packers didn't want to pay them.

Sharper cut because he cost to much.
Longwell not re-signed because he would cost to much.
Jennings not re-signed because he would cost to much.
Favre, well he was an ex-Jet when he became a Viking.

It's not rocket science. If is finance.

so if the packers "don't want to pay you", then step 2 is go to the vikings? your reply did not answer the question silly vikings fan. :confused:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
so if the packers "don't want to pay you", then step 2 is go to the vikings? your reply did not answer the question silly vikings fan. :confused:
well tell me. Have you ever tracked were other ex Packers end up? How many went to any one team over the years? Yeah, I thought not. Go do that and tell me which team has signed more ex-Packers than the Vikings. Because I bet there are at least two out there. You just notice the Viking signings because they are in the Division.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^It's not just the volume alone, its the big names. and no, i did not go and research!

Members online

Latest posts