Why So Many Packers to the Vikings?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without doing research, I can think of several good players that have left Green Bay recently for Minnesota. That list includes Sharper, Longwell, Favre, and now Jennings along with a bunch of others in the last decade or two. I can only think of Hunter Hillenbrand going to the Bears and nobody relevant going to the Lions.

Favre did it for spite, that is clear. Jennings said it was about the money and chance to be on the field a lot. Is there a common reason that more players defect to the Vikings than any other of our rivals?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably partly just things working out that way, and partly the Vikings having an organizational strategy to try to "double dip" and benefit both from acquiring a player and taking away from us.

Favre did seem to be spiteful in his intentions, but in fairness to the Vikings, in 2008-09 they were a team pretty close to being on the cusp and Favre was a really good fit for them, with having most of the other pieces but desperately lacking a QB at the time. So they were able to acquire exactly what they needed in the short-term without giving up anything or having to go through any developmental pains. Better yet, they got someone who had a ton of familiarity in the division already and wouldn't have a problem picking up the system. So while I despise the Vikings, I can't blame them from a business perspective on that one.

It doesn't really bother me. None of them got to experience a Super Bowl there and I feel pretty good that that trend will continue.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They look over the fence and see how much greener the grass is over here. So out of envy they'll take any scraps they can get. I don't get how their fans can hate the Packers so much when they so desperately try to be the Packers :rolleyes:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They look over the fence and see how much greener the grass is over here. So out of envy they'll take any scraps they can get. I don't get how their fans can hate the Packers so much when they so desperately try to be the Packers :rolleyes:
You answered your own question. They hate us because they ain't us. hahaha (non-word intended).

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I've said it before. The Vikings are that guy who's always calling himself your rival or whatever who keeps dating the girls you broke up with to "prove" that he's better than you. Really he just wants to be you. You kinda pity that guy...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The Vikes pursued Aaron Kampman and William Henderson as I recall.

Anyway, with the exception of Favre ... I think that these guys went there because the Vikings were willing and able to pay them. The operative part of that statement is "willing and able".

Favre's issue was more complicated than just his need to exact a little revenge on the organization.The Vikes ran a very similar offense with Bevel as OC ... Favre wouldn't have to learn a whole new offense and I don't think that anyone will ever confuse Brett with a rocket scientist.

Jenning's motivation in my estimation was just money, and I can live with that...the Vikes needed a #1 receiver and I think Jennings will fill that role as well or better than Harvin. The Vikes, in my opinion, made a HUGE upgrade - they had the cap room, so why wouldn't they? They got a leader and dumped a problem on someone else. No brainer to me.

Longwell needed to kick indoors and money.

Sharper ... money -- he was a cap casualty here but, I was never sold on him anyway - watched him trail too many opposing receivers into the end zone to much care.

Common thread here is that I don't think the Vikes or any NFL team would go after a UFA solely because they played for a divisional rival. They were able to pay for some pretty talented guys and let's face it ... even though we're talking about millions of dollars ... these guys have to consider their paychecks ... as ridiculously stupid as the size of those paychecks are.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MINNESOTA VULTURES !

Yes besides those guys you mentioned, they also made a large contract offer for Aaron Kampman when he was in his prime, and a RFA, which the Packers then matched, paying more than we wanted or otherwise would have had to.

The Grape Apes also went after William Henderson.

Ever since the Reggie White Era began in the early 1990's and the Packers enjoyed tremendous success, the Border Rival Vikings have FOR SURE been the jealous little brothers, pure & simple. I lived in Minny all those years and saw it with their players (talked to some about it), their coaches, fans, owners. The Bears also had this jealousy, as evidenced when Lovie Smith took over and he singled out the Packers during his introductory press conference.

But it is the Vikings who always try to vulturize our players. They can't draft well (although their top 2 picks last year were great and our top 2 did nothing).

Remember this though folks, in the 2005 Draft, the Vikings had 2 picks in the first round, #7 & #18.
They could have drafted with those picks, DeMarcus Ware & Aaron Rodgers.

Instead, they took super bust WR Troy Williamson, and super bust DE from Wisconsin, Erasmus James.
I always will be so fond of the 2005 Draft for that!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I know what you're sayin' Frank and I don't disagree but the Vikes have historically made f'ups like that...remember the year that they allowed the clock to run out on their draft pick? Funny as heck but ... that too was under different "management" I think.

Hell, I've heard Viking fans say that it's all in retaliation for the Pack taking Gilbert Brown ... they babble like that until you remind them that the Vikings CUT Gilbert Brown ... it's just crazy stuff.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Addition by subtracting from a division rival, maybe, but mostly they are just a lesser team with needs - that and a philosophy to grab veteran FAs in general.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know others here hate the Bears more and that is a good hate but I absolutely loathe the Queens. I hope Jennings gets knocked into next week when we play them. Felt the same way towards Favre.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldnt be shocked if they target Woodson. They got a good player in Jennings who will give them the #1 wr they needed. He knows the Packers offense so that wont hurt either. Over a thousand yards and 7 tds is what i expect.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway, this thread asked why so many Packers to the Vikings? Simple answer: Minnesota is a better place to live. Minnesota: Beautiful women, Fortune 500 companies, plenty of fine dining, arts and culture. Wisconsin: Possum hunting, fat women in plaid shirts, getting drunk in the local tavern.
Fat ugly drunk women are easy to bed. Cultured beautiful women take too long and are too high maintenance.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, this thread asked why so many Packers to the Vikings? Simple answer: Minnesota is a better place to live. Minnesota: Beautiful women, Fortune 500 companies, plenty of fine dining, arts and culture. Wisconsin: Possum hunting, fat women in plaid shirts, getting drunk in the local tavern.

Statements like that make me wonder why Jared Allen isn't a packer

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread has gotten funny. Having grown up in Wisconsin and currently living in Minnesota, I can't disagree too much with the comparison of states but Wisconsin was a heck of a lot more fun and less uptight - more beer-lovin' Germans and Pols and less Scandinavians!

Another thing to consider is that all of the re-treads players panned out for the Vikings. Say what you want but it's been a good strategy for them. Maybe the real answer is that while the Bears and Lions organizations couldn't stand to stomach taking on "the enemies" players, Minnesota is fine with it.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whatever. Minnesota certainly isn't a better place to win football games (college or pro).

BTW, Why is Jared Allen f***ing a pair of bears in your avatar? -Totally inappropriate! Grow up. :D

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts