why should I feel any different about our defense?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
:D
He said we might win the Super Bowl, he wasn't talking about the game vs. the Niners.

You can't be serious comparing last year's squad (especially the one that lined up in the playoff game vs. the Niners) to rhe 2010 team.

Yes, I am serious.

At the start of each post-season (links provided below):
Dec 2009: Betting odds of Packers winning 2010 Super Bowl: 23-1
Dec 2013: Betting odds of Packers winning 2014 Super Bowl: 16-1

According to Vegas, last year's Packer team had a better chance than the 2010 team... And these odds were posted just before the playoffs started, so they account for the injuries.

So, how much money did you win last year, seeing as you obviously KNEW then that the Packers were not going to win. How's the private island treating you? :tup:

Links:
http://www.gambling911.com/football-news/green-bay-packers-odds-win-2010-super-bowl-122709.html

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/...eahawks-broncos-patriots-49ers-packers-eagles

Last edited:

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, this discussion is still going on? Folks, I hate to state the obvious but NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THE DEFENSE WILL LOOK LIKE. We've moved on from two starting base dlinemen and moved the other to a new position, we have a new former pro-bowler playing a position that we haven't seen used yet, we have (presumably) a new starting safety and two of our best players will be back from injuries (CM3 and Hayward). Even if every piece fits perfectly and we come out smoking, a bunch of injuries are going to happen just like they do every year and we'll have to adapt. This isn't like the offense where things will be very much the same. Anything can happen with this defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

:D

Yes, I am serious.

At the start of each post-season (links provided below):
2010 betting odds of Packers winning Super Bowl: 23-1
2013 betting odds of Packers winning Super Bowl: 16-1

According to Vegas, last year's Packer team had a better chance than the 2010 team... And these odds were posted just before the playoffs started, so they account for the injuries.

So, how much money did you win last year, seeing as you obviously KNEW then that the Packers didn't have any chance? How's the private island treating you? :tup:

I don´t give a damn about what Vegas thought about the Packers chances to win the Super Bowl.

Let´s take a look at some stuff that really matters. Last season the defense ranked tied for 24th in points allowed and 25th in yards allowed and was playing without their best player. In addition Shields and Neal got hurt during the Niners game, leaving the Packers with Bush, a hurt Mulumba and an out of position rookie trying to defend the last San Francisco drive. On offense, Rodgers wasn´t anywhere near the top of his game after missing half the season with Cobb not being 100% as well.

Compared to that the 2010 team had the second best scoring defense in the league (5th in yards allowed) and aside of Finley having all of their offensive weapons playing at a 100%.

If you really think last year´s team had the same chance to win it all as the 2010 team it´s pretty obvious you have no idea what you´re talking about.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you really think last year´s team had the same chance to win it all as the 2010 team it´s pretty obvious you have no idea what you´re talking about.
Be honest, right after the draft, what where your expectations of the Packers winning it all in 2010?

Personally, I think the Packers have a greater chance of winning it all this season than they did in 2010. Its a very competitive league, even being the most likely winner may only place you at 20% chance. If we had a 17% chance in 2010, maybe we have a 19% chance this season.

We may have one of the best offenses in the NFL and our defense could be very strong this year. Yep, you can just look at last years stats, but I think there are some very significant reasons to believe the defense will be much better this coming season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Be honest, right after the draft, what where your expectations of the Packers winning it all in 2010?

Personally, I think the Packers have a greater chance of winning it all this season than they did in 2010. Its a very competitive league, even being the most likely winner may only place you at 20% chance. If we had a 17% chance in 2010, maybe we have a 19% chance this season.

We may have one of the best offenses in the NFL and our defense could be very strong this year. Yep, you can just look at last years stats, but I think there are some very significant reasons to believe the defense will be much better this coming season.

I think the Packers have a pretty good chance of winning the Super Bowl this season. At the moment I would only rate Seattle and San Francisco in front of them in the NFC.

My previous post was about their chances during last season´s playoffs though. And for the reasons I stated in it I felt we didn´t have any chance to bring the Lombardi Trophy back home, even if Hyde would have made the interception vs. the Niners.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that has me worried about the new plan MM and Capers have where certain players will be playing very specific personalized roles when on the field is that it would be giving away what the defense will be doing depending who is on the field. I prefer this option to what has been going on don't get me wrong, I just hope we aren't showing our hand by the opposing offense looking out and seeing who is on the field.

I did read somewhere that boyd has put on a good chunk of weight, he's now in the 320s. So we may have another big body behind Raji after all.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think the Packers have a pretty good chance of winning the Super Bowl this season. At the moment I would only rate Seattle and San Francisco in front of them in the NFC.

My previous post was about their chances during last season´s playoffs though. And for the reasons I stated in it I felt we didn´t have any chance to bring the Lombardi Trophy back home, even if Hyde would have made the interception vs. the Niners.

I would have to agree after re-looking at it. Even if Hyde makes the play and we beat Niners the defense would of been badly depleted moving forward. It would of been a tough road but I never count out Aaron Rodgers. The thing is he wasn't even a 100 percent coming back last season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There´s no guarantee we would have beaten the Niners if Hyde makes the interception and returns it for a TD as there were still four minutes left on the clock. It´s ridiculous to assume we would have been able to go on the road to eliminate the Panthers and the Seahawks as well as beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl with the banged up defense and the offense not firing on all cylinders.

We added a rookie safety and a 34-year old pass rusher to the 24th ranked defense, don´t know why anyone would think we´re as deep as any other unit in the league.

So is it safe to say your writing Peppers off as over the hill? Interesting.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is it safe to say your writing Peppers off as over the hill? Interesting.
I am getting more excited about Peppers. Sounds like coaches and players are impressed with him. I am expecting now a significant impact.

A defense is only as good as its weakest player. Getting Dix is going to make a big differences than some realize. With MD back there we had an opportunity for offenses to exploit. We cheated players over to compensate but only created more opportunities elsewhere. I expect a much improved defense and players will appear to be better this season, but the big difference will be not having to compensate for poor safety play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The only thing that has me worried about the new plan MM and Capers have where certain players will be playing very specific personalized roles when on the field is that it would be giving away what the defense will be doing depending who is on the field. I prefer this option to what has been going on don't get me wrong, I just hope we aren't showing our hand by the opposing offense looking out and seeing who is on the field.

Every single personnel group will still be capable of playing several different schemes, the number of those was reduced though. I don´t think they´ll give anything away by lining up in a specific formation.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real point is I will take the ball with 2 mins left with Aaron Rodgers any day. Has anyone heard that he might be in the best shape of his life heading into camp? That alone is exciting.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Can't wait for Seattle.

I feel like every year players say that and the differences are negligible

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I don´t give a damn about what Vegas thought....

Um, ok.

Let´s take a look at some stuff that really matters. Last season the defense ranked tied for 24th in points allowed and 25th in yards allowed...

Compared to that the 2010 team had the second best scoring defense in the league (5th in yards allowed) and aside of Finley having all of their offensive weapons playing at a 100%....

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I could provide some statistics that tip the balance a bit in the other direction, but something tells me that you really are not open for debate. You would much rather pump out your chest with self-righteous know-it-all comments and throw insults at me. Like the next sentence:

Actually, I pointed out with the facts that the betting industry, of which I believe knows a bit more than any one person, believed last year's team had a BETTER chance at the beginning of the post season-- not the same.

So, regarding whether or not I have an idea of what I am talking about-- I suspect a third party watching this thread will likely question your comments more than mine. Absolutely nothing I wrote in my previous posting is debatable, except for whether or not you are living on a private island.

Anyhow, go back to your little world in which you rule, and...

Thanks for the exchange, fellow Packer fan!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Um, ok.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I could provide some statistics that tip the balance a bit in the other direction, but something tells me that you really are not open for debate.

It would be interesting to see which stats you could come up with providing some indication the Packers had a better chance to win the Super Bowl last season than they had in 2010. I´m quite sure the only thing you can come up with is some useless Vegas BS nobody cares about though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers will be awesome this season he put up 7 sacks last season on a bad bears defense. On which he was the only pass rusher who had to be accounted for. Paired with cm3, Daniels, jones, Perry, Neal, and a Raji who gets back to 2010 form (6.5 sacks) peppers should record double digit sacks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Back to the OP: Why should rodell330 feel any different about our defense? He shouldn’t. It would ruin his reputation and it’s better he remain the eternal pessimist on this board – helps balance out the overly optimistic. ;)

Mike Spofford has piece up on packers.com titled, “Packers defensive veterans have reasons to believe”:
Mike McCarthy may have made his promise about being a better defense right after the draft, but the buy-in from his veteran players appears to have little or nothing to do with the Packers’ four defensive selections in early May.That’s not to say the elder statesmen on the team’s defense are discounting the impact first-round pick Ha Ha Clinton-Dix might make, for instance, but it means they’ve seen evidence from the start of the offseason program in April that the defense is headed in a different direction.

They’ve seen the acquisition of Julius Peppers, the biggest free-agent splash by the Packers since 2006. They’ve seen Clay Matthews, Nick Perry and Casey Hayward, among others, recovering from injuries that limited them significantly a year ago. They’ve seen Micah Hyde lining up at safety, B.J. Raji moving back to the nose, and the scheme being tweaked in meetings and on the practice field.
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-believe/364f8db1-fa97-437a-913d-292dfa7c8264

The vet's reasons have already been mentioned on this thread, I just thought rodell330 might appreciate the source of this optimism more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts