why should I feel any different about our defense?

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't trust the defense as it stands, and I don't think we picked the right players to make it better. I expect we'll have another Defense heavy draft next year. IF however I'm proven wrong I will be the first to admit it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah maybe but is he worth the money he got? No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. But Rodgers and CM3 did not play up to their $$$ either. Both had down years based on injuries. But that doesn't mean they won't have big years next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then that is a whole other issue and one I pray isn't true as that would be a much more complex problem to solve. I guess years like 2012 when we had 15 starters on IR and basically won a SB with our backups only come along once in a lifetime.

I don't find that to be so at corner and safety however that is certainly so at LB, ILB, OLB even. Last season we were getting hardly any pressure against the passing game as well as sometimes the run D. Part of the problem at OLB is since the SB year and what was really a breakout year for Clay Matthews is teams have been double covering him. That of course is nothing new but I don't think the D has found a way to compensate for it. It may be a problem of not enough depth or stacked talent at LB and if that is the case we could be in for another dismal year. I still have the gut feeling Peppers is going to be the difference maker, hopefully starting there where we need it the most.

I think Capers has more talent at his disposal going into 2014 than since Collins went down. The DL should be fine (although it´s possible we could need another big body up front), CB is a very deep position with Hayward returning and the safety play should be improved with the selection of Clinton-Dix.

I´m still worried about the talent level at the ILB. That´s why I think Raji´s play will be huge to the defense´s success.

Let's hope he's the SECOND best safety on our roster.
As of now, HaHa might be.

I don´t have any doubt Clinton-Dix will be the best free safety on the team

True. But Rodgers and CM3 did not play up to their $$$ either. Both had down years based on injuries. But that doesn't mean they won't have big years next season.

There´s a difference in not living up to a contract because of an injury compared to playing horrible though.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 2 cents for next season's defense:

If the Packers are decimated by injuries yet again then a very serious investigation of the problem must be taken up, and by "very serious" I don't mean a study undertaken by the existing GB training and medical staff headed by MM, I mean an outside and expert team of trainers, sports physiologists, medical technicians and medical doctors to determine the reasons. MM's "we're doing a thorough evaluation" line will not cut it if that happens again.

If the Packer defense does not significantly improve, then Capers has to go, period, and so too does the evaluation of defensive players in the draft need to be seen for what it is, a failure, and appropriate action has to be taken.

Hopefully, neither of those scenarios will come to pass.

D

Deleted member 6794

My 2 cents for next season's defense:

If the Packers are decimated by injuries yet again then a very serious investigation of the problem must be taken up, and by "very serious" I don't mean a study undertaken by the existing GB training and medical staff headed by MM, I mean an outside and expert team of trainers, sports physiologists, medical technicians and medical doctors to determine the reasons. MM's "we're doing a thorough evaluation" line will not cut it if that happens again.

They´ve already hired a company to study the injuries:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/8936/packers-to-use-tech-firm-to-study-injuries

If the Packer defense does not significantly improve, then Capers has to go, period, and so too does the evaluation of defensive players in the draft need to be seen for what it is, a failure, and appropriate action has to be taken.

Absolutely agree with that statement.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me just ask it as simply as possible.

From last year, at the end, when we barely lost to the 49ers, to now.
Who have we LOST from that roster.
And who have we GAINED?

LOSSES:
  • CJ Wilson
  • Ryan Pickett unless we bring him back.
  • MD Jennings

GAINS:
  • HaHa Clinton-Dix
  • Sam Shields
  • Casey Hayward
  • Clay Matthews
  • Julius Peppers
  • Nick Perry
  • Letroy Guion (easily replaces Wilson)
  • Carl Bradford
  • Kyhri Thornton
  • Adrian Hubbard

Just on that alone, there has to be a big improvement.
Of course, there will be more new injuries.
Perfect.

And it all came down to a dropped INT that should Hyde should have had. My bet, is that another "GAIN" is Hyde has been on the JUGS machine at least 4 hours per day this offseason.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers has 'kind of' learned how to play the 49ers - in the last 2 games, he has played much more 3-4 than 2-4, and the results have been much, much better. Even though he gave up 13 catches for 208 yds to Boldin, and over 400 yds passing to Kap in the first game - really no excuse for letting one receiver (a fairly pedestrian one at that) beat you over and over again like that; but the playoff game was much better all around.

In the playoff debacle in which Kap ran for 185 yds, and the Niners ran for over 300 in the game - Capers played mostly a 2-4... and the Niners just ate it alive. Capers seems to have learned his lesson a little bit against the Niners, hopefully MM will get in his face and get him to move away from that alignment in general.

Clinton-Dix will hopefully clean up the back end a little bit... just a disaster back there. The breakdowns are legion. Losing Woodson and Collins - wow, what a drop off. The corners are good enough - but they are one-trick ponies in that they are best suited to playing man, and are not good tacklers. Don't know how that can be cleaned up with the personnel we have.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers has 'kind of' learned how to play the 49ers - in the last 2 games, he has played much more 3-4 than 2-4, and the results have been much, much better. Even though he gave up 13 catches for 208 yds to Boldin, and over 400 yds passing to Kap in the first game - really no excuse for letting one receiver (a fairly pedestrian one at that) beat you over and over again like that; but the playoff game was much better all around.

In the playoff debacle in which Kap ran for 185 yds, and the Niners ran for over 300 in the game - Capers played mostly a 2-4... and the Niners just ate it alive. Capers seems to have learned his lesson a little bit against the Niners, hopefully MM will get in his face and get him to move away from that alignment in general.

Clinton-Dix will hopefully clean up the back end a little bit... just a disaster back there. The breakdowns are legion. Losing Woodson and Collins - wow, what a drop off. The corners are good enough - but they are one-trick ponies in that they are best suited to playing man, and are not good tacklers. Don't know how that can be cleaned up with the personnel we have.

Boldin was doubled almost the entire second half and ended up open anyway. That wasn't on Capers. Can't triple team a guy.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/128968/packers-defensive-changes-coming-to-light

Coach Mike McCarthy has apparently grown tired of watching his defense struggle when players go down. Simply plugging in replacement players and asking them to do the same jobs has not always worked.

To combat that, he and defensive coordinator Dom Capers have agreed on some changes.

At the root of those changes isn't necessarily Capers' scheme or whether it will continue to be his traditional 3-4 alignment in his base package, or a regular nickel or dime in sub packages.

But rather, it is a plan to develop players who can play multiple positions in different defensive looks in order to better combat issues that could arise during the season.

I think rather than making players fit into certain schemes, we're making those schemes fit around players now. I think it's great for the personnel that we have and what we’re trying to accomplish moving forward."

I think we have to change something," Hawk said. "Not change, but we have to evolve and hone in on who knows what our plan is going in once the season comes, but we need to find a way to play better. We need to find a way to get off the field. I don't think you have to make any crazy, drastic changes. I don't think that's what we're going to do. But you have to find a way to evaluate what we did wrong and find a way to get better at that."

Capers did something similar earlier in his career. When he took over as the Jacksonville Jaguars' defensive coordinator in 1999, he inherited a roster filled with players who better fit the 4-3 scheme they had run previously.

So instead of trying to force feed players a defense that did not suit their skills, he adjusted.

That season, the Jaguars gave up the fewest points in the NFL and the fourth-fewest yards.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Has anyone forgotten that Aaron Rodgers was out half of last season? Good offense helps defense.

Has anyone forgotten that on the opening game against the niners last year both safeties playing are no longer on the roster?

Has anyone forgotten that we were 5-2 and "ready to roll'. That's after fumbling the game away against Cinncy.

Has anyone forgotten that if Micah Hyde catches that ball we might of won another super Bowl?

Has anyone forgotten that Datone Jones was playing outside linebacker against the Niners in Playoffs?

Has anyone forgotten that Sam Shields went down in first drive against the Niners in Playoffs?

Has anyone forgotten that Jarrett Bush was playing and rushing on pivotal play against the Niners?

Has anyone forgotten that "Claymaker" sucked his thumb to much?

This 2014 Packer defense is as deep as any in the NFL. It's all on Capers now. He has the pieces. No more excuses.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone forgotten that Aaron Rodgers was out half of last season? Good offense helps defense.

Has anyone forgotten that on the opening game against the niners last year both safeties playing are no longer on the roster?

Has anyone forgotten that we were 5-2 and "ready to roll'. That's after fumbling the game away against Cinncy.

Has anyone forgotten that if Micah Hyde catches that ball we might of won another super Bowl?

Has anyone forgotten that Datone Jones was playing outside linebacker against the Niners in Playoffs?

Has anyone forgotten that Sam Shields went down in first drive against the Niners in Playoffs?

Has anyone forgotten that Jarrett Bush was playing and rushing on pivotal play against the Niners?

Has anyone forgotten that "Claymaker" sucked his thumb to much?

This 2014 Packer defense is as deep as any in the NFL. It's all on Capers now. He has the pieces. No more excuses.

Injuries cant be an excuse for the defense

But if Rodgers goes down then our season is over according to those same people

D

Deleted member 6794

There´s no guarantee we would have beaten the Niners if Hyde makes the interception and returns it for a TD as there were still four minutes left on the clock. It´s ridiculous to assume we would have been able to go on the road to eliminate the Panthers and the Seahawks as well as beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl with the banged up defense and the offense not firing on all cylinders.

We added a rookie safety and a 34-year old pass rusher to the 24th ranked defense, don´t know why anyone would think we´re as deep as any other unit in the league.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers went 2-5-1 during the time Rodgers was hurt, I think it´s pretty obvious we can´t win constantly without him.
Well we went basically 2-2-1 with Flynn so we can win without Rodgers as long as we get at least decent play out of the back up. Most teams though wont win "constantly" without their starting QB I think.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
There´s no guarantee we would have beaten the Niners if Hyde makes the interception and returns it for a TD as there were still four minutes left on the clock.

Brandon used the word "might" in his sentence. That is, the Packer MIGHT have won that game...

It´s ridiculous to assume we would have been able to go on the road to eliminate the Panthers and the Seahawks as well as beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl with the banged up defense...

Yeah. Totally ridiculous. Just like in 2010.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well we went basically 2-2-1 with Flynn so we can win without Rodgers as long as we get at least decent play out of the back up. Most teams though wont win "constantly" without their starting QB I think.

Really great teams can win without their star QB, see 2008 Patriots.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brandon used the word "might" in his sentence. That is, the Packer MIGHT have won that game...

Yeah. Totally ridiculous. Just like in 2010.

He said we might win the Super Bowl, he wasn't talking about the game vs. the Niners.

You can't be serious comparing last year's squad (especially the one that lined up in the playoff game vs. the Niners) to rhe 2010 team. :rolleyes:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really great teams can win without their star QB, see 2008 Patriots.
Teams with great back up QB can win without their star QB.

We were caught lacking at the backup QB position last season. We gambled that we could develop some talent behind Rodgers and we got caught short. Between Coleman and Young I am sure TT/MM thought one would emerge and be a viable QB. Had we had Flynn as our backup going into the season, I think we would have not suffered as much.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers went 2-5-1 during the time Rodgers was hurt, I think it´s pretty obvious we can´t win constantly without him.

You did miss my point.

With Rodgers out, most people would expect a let down and not a good season..No real fire MM threads..

Those same people expect the defense to still be as good with Clay and Sam out and maybe one other starter out..Fire Caper threads pop up every where..

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The real point is I will take the ball with 2 mins left with Aaron Rodgers any day. Has anyone heard that he might be in the best shape of his life heading into camp? That alone is exciting.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Can't wait for Seattle.

Latest posts