why should I feel any different about our defense?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t expect him to get a lot of snaps this season at all, but he´s too small to play at NT.

Capers has run the same defensive scheme for his entire career, he won´t change it entirely at this point in his career. So I think as Thompson and McCarthy have held on to him it is their responsibility to bring in players that fit the scheme. That obviously hasn´t happened enough over the last three seasons.

The solution to that should be either to bring in a new DC who´s capable of working with the guys on the roster or the GM bringing in players capable of playing in Capers scheme. IMO both Thompson and Capers are to blame for the defense´s shortcomings.

There´s no way Burnett should play at FS, so Clinton-Dix was the right choice. Raji played his best football playing at NT, so there´s hope he can once again be the impact player he was in 2010. But I´m concerned as well that he could just continue to be the lazy bastard he was last season.

Burnett should be fine and our best option at SS with a solid guy at FS.

I hope that´s where Clinton-Dix will have the most impact. He has made the defensive calls for the Crimson Tide over the past two seasons in a pro-style defense. I´m really tired of all those miscommunications in the secondary.

Hard to find either a GM or DC who can make do with the sort of injuries this team suffers each season. Does Teddy draft brittle players, or does the medical/training staff struggle to keep players healthy. Maybe Doctor MacKenzie is too protective of the players. I'd argue that the Defense was starting to look very promising last season back when they were relatively healthy, but alas injuries took care of that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hard to find either a GM or DC who can make do with the sort of injuries this team suffers each season. Does Teddy draft brittle players, or does the medical/training staff struggle to keep players healthy. Maybe Doctor MacKenzie is too protective of the players. I'd argue that the Defense was starting to look very promising last season back when they were relatively healthy, but alas injuries took care of that.

There´s no denying that injuries played a huge role in the defense not playing up to expectations. I really have no idea about the reasons for the Packers being one of the most injured teams in the league every single season over the last four years, but I hope they´ll be able to stop it from happening again.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t expect him to get a lot of snaps this season at all, but he´s too small to play at NT.

Capers has run the same defensive scheme for his entire career, he won´t change it entirely at this point in his career. So I think as Thompson and McCarthy have held on to him it is their responsibility to bring in players that fit the scheme. That obviously hasn´t happened enough over the last three seasons.

The solution to that should be either to bring in a new DC who´s capable of working with the guys on the roster or the GM bringing in players capable of playing in Capers scheme. IMO both Thompson and Capers are to blame for the defense´s shortcomings.

There´s no way Burnett should play at FS, so Clinton-Dix was the right choice. Raji played his best football playing at NT, so there´s hope he can once again be the impact player he was in 2010. But I´m concerned as well that he could just continue to be the lazy bastard he was last season.

Burnett should be fine and our best option at SS with a solid guy at FS.

I hope that´s where Clinton-Dix will have the most impact. He has made the defensive calls for the Crimson Tide over the past two seasons in a pro-style defense. I´m really tired of all those miscommunications in the secondary.

"Capers has run the same defensive scheme for his entire career, he won´t change it entirely at this point in his career."

That's not true. Capers has run a 4-3 before. If he thought the players were better in a 4-3, for example, he'd switch to the 4-3. He's not stuck in his scheme.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody sell me on this defense. Besides having everyone healthy what's going to make this defense formidable so the offense doesn't have to score a ton of points to win? I loved the addition of Peppers and I hope they don't screw with his production by trying to make him play outside lb. That experiment hasnt worked here.

I preferred Ward over Haha but what can we expect from him? As a rook? Who's going to start in the middle withAj Hawk? How about the starter at LOLB? Telling me it'll be a Perry/Neal combo will just depress me.
Let me just ask it as simply as possible.

From last year, at the end, when we barely lost to the 49ers, to now.
Who have we LOST from that roster.
And who have we GAINED?

LOSSES:
  • CJ Wilson
  • Ryan Pickett unless we bring him back.
  • MD Jennings

GAINS:
  • HaHa Clinton-Dix
  • Sam Shields
  • Casey Hayward
  • Clay Matthews
  • Julius Peppers
  • Nick Perry
  • Letroy Guion (easily replaces Wilson)
  • Carl Bradford
  • Kyhri Thornton
  • Adrian Hubbard

Just on that alone, there has to be a big improvement.
Of course, there will be more new injuries.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Burnett being released this season actually. And yes I know about the dead money.
A) Hell no
B) Ted traded UP to draft Burnett
C) Ted liked him enough as a Packer, after 3 seasons, he gave him a new deal. A big payday.
D) Repeat A

D

Deleted member 6794

That's not true. Capers has run a 4-3 before. If he thought the players were better in a 4-3, for example, he'd switch to the 4-3. He's not stuck in his scheme.

Not sure where Capers ran a 4-3 defense as a defensive coordinator in the NFL.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure where Capers ran a 4-3 defense as a defensive coordinator in the NFL.

1999 and 2000 Jaguars. Both years he was the defensive coordinator and they ran a 4-3. 1999 team had the best scoring defense in the league.

He knows a 4-3 and I think he'd switch if he thought his players was better for it.

D

Deleted member 6794

1999 and 2000 Jaguars. Both years he was the defensive coordinator and they ran a 4-3. 1999 team had the best scoring defense in the league.

He knows a 4-3 and I think he'd switch if he thought his players was better for it.

You´re right about that, forgot that he was the DC in Jacksonville for two years.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm Kitten in the Super Bowl year we had the 2nd ranked scoring defense in the league. In the final game that Defense made a number of key plays and held on even when that already decimated unit lost 2 of its top 3 cornerbacks.

What or who rather did we have then that we lack now? Woodson. I firmly believe he played a much bigger role for our D than people would be inclined to think. If we're speaking of the SB year we must also take into account we had 15 starters on IR that year. To have the 2nd ranked scoring D that year and as good as that D performed in the latter part of the regular season as well as the playoffs and SB is phenomenal. But I digress. That was 3 seasons gone. We have talent on D, particularly young talent on cornerback and even safety. What we had then and lack now is defensive leadership. I'm not sure how many downs Peppers is going to see this season. I'm not sure how big of an impact he is going to be on the field. He may surprise you in that regard. However I believe his greatest impact will be felt off the field, in the locker room as well as on the field. If anyone can fulfill the void Woodson left, it's Peppers. That being said I far from think the sole area of our defensive problems is limited to lack of leadership, LB needs to be addressed.

D

Deleted member 6794

What or who rather did we have then that we lack now? Woodson.

While I don´t question the defense has lacked leadership over the past few seasons losing Collins to a career ending injury hurt as well.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don´t question the defense has lacked leadership over the past few seasons losing Collins to a career ending injury hurt as well.

Indeed Collins loss has affected us deeply as well as the loss of other veteran players. I view this as a defense in transition. We have younger players, we no longer have the familiar faces of the D of 2011 and past. It's growing pains and here is where such leadership is most crucial to us. Perhaps I am overemphasizing this role and its significance. We can't expect a return to the D of 2011-12 the faces have changed. What I am hoping is Peppers somehow makes that transition for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Indeed Collins loss has affected us deeply as well as the loss of other veteran players. I view this as a defense in transition. We have younger players, we no longer have the familiar faces of the D of 2011 and past. It's growing pains and here is where such leadership is most crucial to us. Perhaps I am overemphasizing this role and its significance. We can't expect a return to the D of 2011-12 the faces have changed. What I am hoping is Peppers somehow makes that transition for us.

I think leadership is important, but even with Woodson the defense was historically bad in 2011.

D

Deleted member 6794

It has bottomed out over the last 2 years or post SB win. It isn't just Woodson or lack of leadership. I think it really just boils down to a changing of the guard in a lot of ways.

I think it all comes down to lack of talent and not enough depth to overcome the huge amount of injuries.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it all comes down to lack of talent and not enough depth to overcome the huge amount of injuries.

Then that is a whole other issue and one I pray isn't true as that would be a much more complex problem to solve. I guess years like 2012 when we had 15 starters on IR and basically won a SB with our backups only come along once in a lifetime.

I don't find that to be so at corner and safety however that is certainly so at LB, ILB, OLB even. Last season we were getting hardly any pressure against the passing game as well as sometimes the run D. Part of the problem at OLB is since the SB year and what was really a breakout year for Clay Matthews is teams have been double covering him. That of course is nothing new but I don't think the D has found a way to compensate for it. It may be a problem of not enough depth or stacked talent at LB and if that is the case we could be in for another dismal year. I still have the gut feeling Peppers is going to be the difference maker, hopefully starting there where we need it the most.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're going t have at least 3 new starters. I'm guessing HaHa will be a starter, Peppers, and Raji going back to the nose is essentially a new starter. Now talk about people coming back from injury........ I'm very optimistic.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What or who rather did we have then that we lack now? Woodson. I firmly believe he played a much bigger role for our D than people would be inclined to think. If we're speaking of the SB year we must also take into account we had 15 starters on IR that year. To have the 2nd ranked scoring D that year and as good as that D performed in the latter part of the regular season as well as the playoffs and SB is phenomenal. But I digress. That was 3 seasons gone. We have talent on D, particularly young talent on cornerback and even safety. What we had then and lack now is defensive leadership. I'm not sure how many downs Peppers is going to see this season. I'm not sure how big of an impact he is going to be on the field. He may surprise you in that regard. However I believe his greatest impact will be felt off the field, in the locker room as well as on the field. If anyone can fulfill the void Woodson left, it's Peppers. That being said I far from think the sole area of our defensive problems is limited to lack of leadership, LB needs to be addressed.

Well I think he fell off on his game back in 11 and then just wasn't the same guy back in 2012. I think the big difference maker was the ability to play Nick Collins like a centerfielder which allowed us to play Peprah up in the box frequently. Collins was lost to us an Woodson steadily declined a point where he just wasn't worth it anymore.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When people say we won the SB with a ton of players hurt, it is ture, however. It isnt so cut and dried..

On defense (which is technically our weak link) look at who wasnt hurt and who played in the SB--
Ryan Pickett LDE
C.J. Wilson DE
B.J. Raji NT
Howard Green RDE
Clay Matthews LOLB
A.J. Hawk LILB
Desmond Bishop RILB
Frank Zombo ROLB
Charles Woodson LCB
Tramon Williams RCB
Nick Collins FS

We were missing 6 out of that line up this past year..Not to mention BJ absolutely playing horrible..So that is almost 7 out of the 11 not playing...7 out of 11....think about that for a minute..

We were missing these guys this past year...But they started the SB...The players that have taken their respective spots (other than BJ) can not hold a candle to the players they replaced..

Clay
BJ
Green
Bishop
Woodson
Collins
Zombo

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like talking about Collins:/ there's no doubt in my mind he'd be the best safety in the league right now. He would've allowed us to maybe take a lb in the 1st.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Indeed Collins loss has affected us deeply as well as the loss of other veteran players.
Collins was elite, for sure, and one player can make a huge difference. Think about it, with a poor safety paired with him, Burnett felt he needed to cheat to the other side. This opens more gaps on his side. With Haha, who has amazing range, he will not have to cheat to cover for the likes of the horror story that was the Dr. and Mr. Hyde. (see what I did there? Micah Hyde? Get it? I have been waiting to work that into a post for over a year now). Better pull the trigger on that one now with the Dr. (MD Jennings) now a Bear. Wait. I am laughing my *** off right now.

Okay.

Anyhow, with MD gone, and Haha taking over, there will be a lot of range in the secondary covered by our safeties. This will give more coverage, more time for the rush, less opportunities to WRs - it will be a huge boost to our defense.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
This Defense is going to be beast this season. If not Capers will probably be shown the door.

I have great feelings on this Defense. I cant wait for season to start. CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

Latest posts