Why put in rodgers and run the ball?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like every game we put in rodgers for garbage time, we just run the ball? What's the point? If you want some drone to just go in and hand off the ball, hell, put in Dave Rayner or Ahmad Carroll or something, but why not let your "qb of the future" actually get in some productive game time reps and throw a little bit when he's in there?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I was really hoping to see him get in there and throw a TD and actually try to pull out a couple scores. If he was successful then who knows...maybe we bench Brett for a while and let Rodgers play. But alas, we will never know.

On the passes he did throw he looked pretty good.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah..that's the answer.

Bench Brett. Genius.

Why not fire TT while you're at it?

Then you'd be closer to the mark, and the source of the Packer's current problems.

I'm sure Favre wishes he was in Steve McNair's shoes about now too.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Yeah..that's the answer.

Bench Brett. Genius.

Then you'd be closer to the mark, and the source of the Packer's current problems.

Wow, you all take it so personally. I'm just saying if we had put in Rodgers, scored a TD and did better than with Brett, why not do what works better? But that didn't happen so we trod on.

I'm not going to let this turn into a I love Brett/let's get rid of Brett bashfest. I didn't have such an intention and will not engage in such silly internet messageboard banter. I'll leave that for the immature folks here who are trying to read into others' messages what is clearly not there.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy looked like he wanted to get the game just over and Favre took a hard hit so he probably didn't want Rodgers to take one as well for pretty much no reason since the game was all but over.

I would of thrown though especially from the goaline.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Yeah, I was really hoping to see him get in there and throw a TD and actually try to pull out a couple scores. If he was successful then who knows...maybe we bench Brett for a while and let Rodgers play. But alas, we will never know.

Rodgers does throw a nice ball when they give him the chance and he would have had a TD pass if the DB hadn't of been dragging like an anchor on the receivers (Jennings?) jersey.
But then McCarthy all of a sudden got dedicated to the run again and we couldn't make 1 stinking yard on four running plays.
Pathetic , very pathetic.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
But then McCarthy all of a sudden got dedicated to the run again and we couldn't make 1 stinking yard on four running plays.
Pathetic , very pathetic.

It looked like they ran the same play all 4 times too. Motion by Davis to the left side and then try to plow it in behind the guard.

I was hoping they would throw on 3rd down. Then I thought they would throw it on 4th...oh well. :(

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Rabid.

Rodgers will have to sit his *** on the bench until Favre retires.

That's the way it is.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Yeah..that's the answer.

Bench Brett. Genius.

geez, seems like 90% of your posts have a "fire TT" line in them, regardless of the subject of the thread. kinda funny.

anyway, Brett wasn't benched. He took a big hit, I think I heard something about a 'stinger' and 'splitting headache', so I don't think 'benched' is quite right.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
majikman said:
Yeah..that's the answer.

Bench Brett. Genius.

geez, seems like 90% of your posts have a "fire TT" line in them, regardless of the subject of the thread. kinda funny.

anyway, Brett wasn't benched. He took a big hit, I think I heard something about a 'stinger' and 'splitting headache', so I don't think 'benched' is quite right.

yeah, majik66 will do that. If brett stayed, TT shoulda sat him. If bret was sit down, TT shoulda kept him out there..you know...as if TT is the coach.

I woulda liked to see A-Rod throw when out there. He only threw like 3 times. OH well, what can you do? Not like it was gonna be a comeback in 3 minutes.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Sorry Rabid.

Rodgers will have to sit his *** on the bench until Favre retires.

That's the way it is.

Great planning, don't give the kid any touches so he is a 3rd or 4th year rookie coming into a team that has matured around him and he's n00b.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:

Id bet any money that if Rodgers would have started that game in place of Favre the game would have been won in the first half!!!!!! ......By the Eagles

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
rabidgopher04 said:

Id bet any money that if Rodgers would have started that game in place of Favre the game would have been won in the first half!!!!!! ......By the Eagles

Agreed. And benching Favre is not the answer. Now if we are getting it handed to us by the third quarter, there is no reason not to bring in AR to at least let him get a taste of the speed of the game etc.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
agopackgo4 said:
rabidgopher04 said:

Agreed. And benching Favre is not the answer. Now if we are getting it handed to us by the third quarter, there is no reason not to bring in AR to at least let him get a taste of the speed of the game etc.

Exactly Ryan exactly!
And don't just use him as a hand off machine, let him play the game like you are in it and trying to win. It's not like if he makes some mistakes you are going to lose.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just would of liked to see Aaron get a chance to throw it on the 4th and goal play. Other then that it's nothing to get in a heated argument over, he'll get his shot

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Favre said that he would do what's BEST for the packers and preparing for Aaron's take over is no longer in the future but imminent.

Aaron throws a very accurate nice ball. I left video in this forum of his throwing in colllege. It's a very unique high ball carry motion which I loved because it's different, and showed the genius of coach Jeff Tedford.

Aaron had a near 70% completion percentage in college. 70% and against top defenses. Against no.1 USC he had 23 straight completions. He throw right at the shoulder that only the receiver can get.

Mike McCarthy noticed that.

The reason McCarthy's holding the run more is that he's not trying to kill Aaron's confidence in garbage time and when teams can tee off on him.

Aaron's going to be awesomeguys. Just wait.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope so but isn't Tedford famous for grooming great college QB's but having them flop in the NFL. I do think Aaron will change that though and at least be a legitamite starter all in due time.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR could have audibled a pass. He only saw all 11 players on D drooling for the run. Play action the 2nd down and hit the TE. Stupid play calling IMO.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
AR could have audibled a pass. He only saw all 11 players on D drooling for the run. Play action the 2nd down and hit the TE. Stupid play calling IMO.

Agree with you. I was almost sure they'd be smart enough to pass on third and fourth down. That would have been sweet, end the game with an Aaron Rodgers touchdown pass. The ultra-conservative play-calling on 1st and goal from the 2 yard line cost Rodgers some much needed experience.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Aaron had a near 70% completion percentage in college. 70% and against top defenses. Against no.1 USC he had 23 straight completions. He throw right at the shoulder that only the receiver can get.

The reason McCarthy's holding the run more is that he's not trying to kill Aaron's confidence in garbage time and when teams can tee off on him.

Isn't McCarthy the guy that passed on Rodgers in the draft?

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers should have played more at the end of last season. Then, he gets some addition playing time in the blowouts this year, and then next year, when possibly the rest of the team is maturing, so is he.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Even Favre said that he would do what's BEST for the packers and preparing for Aaron's take over is no longer in the future but imminent.

Aaron throws a very accurate nice ball. I left video in this forum of his throwing in colllege. It's a very unique high ball carry motion which I loved because it's different, and showed the genius of coach Jeff Tedford.

If I remember correctly, the knock on Rodgers was that his throwing style was not going to cut it in the pros. I think that his release was too slow or something. It wasn't an NFL style, and they would have to work on his mechanics.

College is college. But the pros are something completely different.

What if he goes in there and throws interceptions, will you guys be lenient?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Exactly Ryan exactly!
And don't just use him as a hand off machine, let him play the game like you are in it and trying to win. It's not like if he makes some mistakes you are going to lose.

This is what I was trying to say. And if he is successful then let's build on that success and do what works.

Members online

Latest posts