Why Not....

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The Henderson release move make little to no sense to me what so ever, he is a vested veteran signed at league minimum, why not let him come in and compete for a roster spot and utilize his leadership throughout at least the preseason. We don't need the cap room.

The only logical reasons I can think of is A) letting hook with another team if he wants to 2) they want to eliminate competion for any incomming free agents to feel more confident in signing.

Throwing it out there for thoughts, Big Wil brings so much more than what he provides on the football field.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line...he has lost a lot of game in recent years. Happens to the best of them, and Big Will certainly was/is that....one of the best.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hendo really wants to play this year, then releasing him now is actually better for him. It's early in the FA offseason, so there's more opportunities and more money available for him right now.

Keeping him through preseason and then cutting him in the final cutdown would be disrepectful IMO. It's hard to see him go, but not dragging it out is the best for all involved.

I wish him the best and hope he signs on with an AFC team. When he's ready to retire, then I hope he does so as a Packer.

GO PACK GO!!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id like to see him forget about playing football... and moving up to the broadcasting booth.

very articulate and insightful... could easily upgrade whatever crap CBS pregame has now. better than over half of whats out now.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Henderson hasn't been officially released has he? Wasn't that just something he said himself on a show?

Exactly.... if he is all done and the tank is empty why not let him close the book on this chapter of his life by himself, not forced by a release. But I agree that he would make a great announcer or I think a heck of a coach.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's going to get cut. Chris Roth who made the report is very close to Henderson and is as good as source as anyone.

However Henderson has declined and he's declined to the point where he's only a special teams player. He's also not a very good fit for our offense any longer. He's a blocking FB in a power scheme. That’s to the spite of what Harry Sydney says. His ties with Henderson make him bias in my opinion.

You make a great point with eliminating competition for free agents. I don't see it as a coincidence that this report is out there right when we have a free agent FB visiting.

I will say one thing. He is a good player on special teams. I don’t see why the Packers just can’t bring him back as the Special Teams captain this year and make him work in that role. His locker room presence seems very uplifting to the team from what seems to be said.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been a great player. He was cut yesterday i believe. He will be missed, for sure. He and Favre were the last 2 players left from SB 31.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henderson was great and he will be missed. I beleive this move was done because there was no more upside to him. Henderson was clearly on the decline and those behind him need that playing time to get better. The younger guys have more potential, and cutting William forces that.

If I were in charge of that call, it would have been a tough decision to make. Henderson is one of my top three favorite Packers. His work ethic and professionalism made him a role model for young players.

I think his best game was when the Pack played the Ravens at home a few years ago. Watching him blow up Ray Lewis multiple times was the highlight of that game.

BairesPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Henderson release move make little to no sense to me what so ever, he is a vested veteran signed at league minimum, why not let him come in and compete for a roster spot and utilize his leadership throughout at least the preseason. We don't need the cap room.

The only logical reasons I can think of is A) letting hook with another team if he wants to 2) they want to eliminate competion for any incomming free agents to feel more confident in signing.

Throwing it out there for thoughts, Big Wil brings so much more than what he provides on the football field.

"We are releasing William at this point so he can pursue other opportunities within the National Football League," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement. "It is difficult to part with a high-character individual like William. He has been an influential person on several outstanding Packers teams over his career. He always will be considered a Packer."

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts