Why not two RB day 1

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my feeling. It is a weak area on this team, many teams are going to a two back system, they will pressure each other, if one flops or is injured we have a backup and there are good players in round two and three that are likely to be available. Take Lynch round one then Booker or Bush round two or three (Booker may be there). I know we need TE and safety help but there is not likely a good TE after Olson and I am not sold he will block like is needed. Safety is another need but there will be decent ones available after first round.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The major reason is that there are many more holes on this team than just RB. Plus we have some solid RBs on the roster currently, so there's no need to 2 top rookies. That said, RB is typically the easiest position to replace, so why waste your top picks when you can find good RB talent later in the draft?

OP
OP
P

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, I don't agree with have much talent. We have journeymen that other teams were willing to let go. There are plenty of holes but this is the weakest.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
The major reason is that there are many more holes on this team than just RB. Plus we have some solid RBs on the roster currently, so there's no need to 2 top rookies. That said, RB is typically the easiest position to replace, so why waste your top picks when you can find good RB talent later in the draft?

Although I agree with most of this statement, I truly believe that the elite backs are in one category (the ones that can get yards on their own) and the rest. And elite backs are NOT a dime a dozen. IE.. Shaun Alexander, LT, and Larry Johnson can't be had in the later rounds like fruit on trees:)

And Terrell Davis, was he really that special? We will never know.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, he was really that special, and he would be a cinch for the Hall of Fame if he had stayed healthy just a couple more years. The Broncos were lucky to get him later in the draft. I think he fell that far partly because of injuries in college.

I do share your opinion about elite backs, though. There are some that are worth the high price. Just not that many.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Yes, he was really that special, and he would be a cinch for the Hall of Fame if he had stayed healthy just a couple more years. The Broncos were lucky to get him later in the draft. I think he fell that far partly because of injuries in college.

I do share your opinion about elite backs, though. There are some that are worth the high price. Just not that many.

I tend to agree with you on that, but was he a product of the "system" or was he that special that he could run behind any line. IE Curtis Martin:)

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Thompson drafting a couple RBs but not two on the same day. I think he will treat this draft for the RB position much like he drafted last season on the O-line. The most he'll take at RB will be 2 and the may both end up being 2nd day picks. I pray that they find a way to replace Herron this season.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they need a late round Tight End Scott Chandler will be available in the late 4th or 5th.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

Although I agree with most of this statement, I truly believe that the elite backs are in one category (the ones that can get yards on their own) and the rest. And elite backs are NOT a dime a dozen. IE.. Shaun Alexander, LT, and Larry Johnson can't be had in the later rounds like fruit on trees:)

Do you honestly believe that there will be 2 RBs at the level of Alexander, LT or Johnson available to GB on Day 1??

IMO we need to look at the BPA. If a RB is the BPA, then grab him. If a CB or WR are, then go that route. Focusing in on drafting for need would be similar to Sherman's approach to the draft, and we all know those results.

GO PACK GO!!!

Members online

Latest posts