Why not Dominic Rhodes?

Reaction score
People have been talking about getting Turner, or drafting a RB but why not go after Colts free agent RB Dominic Rhodes?

I have not seen many Colts game the past season, but I do know Rhodes was the starter before giving way to Addai. I also heard that Rhodes was a great blocking back, so I assume he'd be really useful with our still (relatively) young O-line.

I thought Rhodes might be a bit slow, but looking at his stats on NFL I found that he had 1118 KR yards (with 1 TD) at an average of 24.8 yards per KR a couple seasons ago. He has a 23.6 career KR avg with over 2,810 KR yards. From those stats, it looks like he's got speed.

Rhodes is 27 years old, but he has been a backup most of his career, thus his body hasn't taken a lot of beating. He is listed as 5'9, not really the tallest of backs but that isn't too much of a concern.

Also he had a great Superbowl, and the argument could be made that he should have been the SB MVP. The only real problem I see might be that his asking price might be a bit high because of the Superbowl performance, but then again if he becomes a good back in our system, the price would be justified.

So should the Packers take a run at Rhodes?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Turner is on the up an up. Rhodes seems to have leveled out and is a few years older and Turner would probably come at a cheaper price.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We DON'T need a RB. We should resign Green, and we still have Morency on the roster. And with the 16th pick, everyone is predicting us to pick Marshawn Lynch from California. This would be a great trio of RBs for the Packers. Plus we still have Herron who could be the back-up FB to Miree. I think Henderson is gone though.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We DON'T need a RB. We should resign Green, and we still have Morency on the roster. And with the 16th pick, everyone is predicting us to pick Marshawn Lynch from California. This would be a great trio of RBs for the Packers. Plus we still have Herron who could be the back-up FB to Miree. I think Henderson is gone though.

And if we did make the RB count like Magahee or Portis....I know we'd have to trade but ohwell...........I consider green in the same calss as rhodes, if not rhodes is a lil better....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

I see your point. But if we signed Turner and Green we could use that 16th overall on a WR (and if we get Moss) we can use it on S Landry.

And if we did make the RB count like Magahee or Portis....I know we'd have to trade but ohwell...........I consider green in the same calss as rhodes, if not rhodes is a lil better....
What would you give up for Portis?

I think McGahee voided the remaining year/s on his contract? I am not sure. I jus remember hearing something about him wanting out of Buffalo.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'd end up losing at least a 2nd round pick for Turner. No way San Diego let's him walk and let's him go without tendering him. He's a restricted free agent this season.

Rhodes is an okay back. Good Super Bowl but he's not going to upgrade our rushing attack a lot. In my opinion if you sign Rhodes, you let go of Ahman Green because I believe you have to look at a RB in the Draft this year.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget about Arliss Beach. He was having a good camp last year until his injury and was put on IR.

I would only entertain thoughts on those other guys if we lose Green. Now, if someone wanted to trade KGB for Portis, I'm all ears.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
We'd end up losing at least a 2nd round pick for Turner. No way San Diego let's him walk and let's him go without tendering him. He's a restricted free agent this season.

Ahh yes, excellent point I was not considering.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 40 or more runningbacks who can gve us the same production we had last year. We need to get a running back for next year as cheaply as possible unless we have an opportunity to get one of the 5 best backs out there which aint gonna happen. McGahee is alright but he's had the big injury already, and you dont give guys win previous acl issues a big contract. Turner i'd LOVE to see in GB but again, not if we have to give up draft pics.

We can give up draft pics for a tight end or receiver, because impact players at those positions are hard to come by.

I'd much rather us upgrade the defense than waste time and money on the runningback position. Why not get another Woodson like signing but this time at safety or linebacker to replace Poopinga. That would help us alot more.

How well did Edgerin James & Sean Alexander do last year. they played like crap because theyre not a Barry Sanders type running back who will be able to carry the running game all by himself. Theres only a few guys who can carry a running game all by themselves. LT, maybe Portis, and thats about it. When will people ever realize this, bad offensive line = bad running back, good offensive line = good running back. I rest my case.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think the colts are gonna let rhodes go and he wants to stay with him. plsu i dont think there no way the redskins are gonna trade portis. and also i think the chargers are wanting a 1st for turner and im sure there is a team willing to give up that. if they want a second for him i say we try and get him but not for first.

i say we sign ahman green and get moss and draft defensive line or secondary in first, then draft running back or te in 2nd

or

sign ahman green draft a reciever in 1st take running back in 2nd and sign a safety in free agency such as a hamlin or lewis

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've seen of Rhodes, he's fairly similar to Ahman Green. And I mean this year's Ahman Green, rather than the Ahman Green of a few years ago. Rhodes benefitted from being a part of the best offense in the league, and I don't think he would be anything special in Green Bay. The draft is probably the best place to get a running back this year.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drich318 said:

I see your point. But if we signed Turner and Green we could use that 16th overall on a WR (and if we get Moss) we can use it on S Landry.

What would you give up for Portis?

I think McGahee voided the remaining year/s on his contract? I am not sure. I jus remember hearing something about him wanting out of Buffalo.

I not sure what they are asking for portis....but definately a 2nd rounder if healthy.....

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think the colts are gonna let rhodes go and he wants to stay with him.
I don't know if you noticed, but the Colts don't have diddly squat for cap room. Everyone that isn't essential to success is gone.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tkpckfan said:
i dont think the colts are gonna let rhodes go and he wants to stay with him.
I don't know if you noticed, but the Colts don't have diddly squat for cap room. Everyone that isn't essential to success is gone.
They're going to lose Rhodes and Cato June for sure. Mike Doss I believe is a free agent. If he's an unrestricted free agent, he's probably going to leave as well and Jackson will finally take his place.

Freeney will get the franchise tag and not hit the market.

So initially the Colts are losing 2 players in Doss and Rhodes that GB could consider. However I really don't think Rhodes would be a great fit here. I think he's more of a situational back that can split time. He did get one full year as a starter but the system in Indy relies on Manning to setup the run. McCarthy wants to run to setup the pass and I‘m not sure if he can be that type of back. I rather have Green than Rhodes.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As many have mentioned, Rhodes doesn't offer a huge upside. Due to his SB performance, his cost to value ratio will likely be ugly. Plus he doesn't offer much more than we get with Green.

I agree that we're better off without going after Rhodes. I disagree that we need to trade for a top RB like Portis -- too expensive and wouldn't give us much value. As the OL becomes better at zone blocking, it will not help us much to have a high priced, top RB. We're better off saving the money there and staying with guys like Morency, Herron and Beach.

GO PACK GO!!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. i don't think rhodes fits too well in our scheme, he's a straight ahead runner. plus, most of his success in the super bowl came straight up the middle when the bears were thinking pass. I agree that his success stemmed from the defense's having to play it safe against peyton. i don't think rhodes is anything special. also, running backs are always the first to acclimate to the NFL after leaving college. don't really know why, but that's how it goes, so i don't think it is a good idea to reach far into free agency for a RB when their are good prospects in the draft.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. Iv'e been saying it over and over. Green is still our man, ad he deserves it. Im sure 31 other teams would love a good RB like Green, letting him go would be obserd.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we want Portis and his attitude anyway? If you remember back in the preseason, he got injured and then blasted his coaches for having "elite players like him" playing preseason games. Seems to be a bit of a prima donna.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a reason why not. We already have one of those "drunken drivers". :wink:

Colts | Police & Courts: Dominic Rhodes
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 06:45:30 -0800

The Associated Press reports Indianapolis Colts RB Dominic Rhodes was arrested Tuesday morning, Feb. 20, and faces drunk driving charges after police caught Rhodes speeding on Interstate 65 in Indianapolis' far northwest side. Rhodes was being held at the Marion County arrestee processing center Tuesday morning. Rhodes is not under contract with the Colts for next season and scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next month.

see also: clicka mi!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts