Why No Love For Rodgers?

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
In light of the recent statements from Brett, I wanted to get everyone's opinion of Rodgers. It seems to me that the majority of people on this site don't think he can get the job done.

I'm not one of those people. It's not based purely on optimism either. Before Rodgers last year at Cal I was telling all my buddies that he was the best pro prospect in the country. When he fell to us at #22, I was ecstatic. I personally think he will be a Pro Bowl quarterback at some point.

So here's my question to the people that don't have the same confidence as I. What is it about him that makes you think he can't succeed? I'm not to proud to admit that maybe I'm missing something with the kid-so I challenge you to submit that "something". Prove me wrong Packer fans. Ready.......Go!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well almost everything I've read about rodgers eprformance in practices and whatnot are not good. I never heard the words "improving" or anything positive as the season went on.

When he did get nibbles of gametime during the season, he was anything BUT impressive.

with that said, I know he is a rookie, and I know he played with the scout team most of the time. But if he is going to be the starting QB for the GB Packers...I do not feel confident AT ALL. I have no reason to be.

Could he turn out to be ok as a starter? Sure. Could he be great one day? Maybe. But all I know from what I have seen is he is going to go through some growing pains, boy.

As I am typing this I was thikning of something. That was A-Rod in Shermans system of boringness. With our new 'creative' coaches, and better blocking...maybe the kid could do good.

But im still not confident whatsoever.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't see how too many people can lean either way on this kid...he hasn't played yet.

rookie qb's will stink it up, it's one of those things you can count on in life (Big Ben excluded). the key is that they improve with their mistakes, and there will be plenty to learn from. the best thing the Pack can give him is a mean *** ground game (yes i know, that applies to every qb anywhere, ever).

OP
OP
M

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Fair assessment tromadz. I understand why some would be less than confident. The qb success rate in the nfl is minimal.

I'll confess complete ignorance on his practice performances, but his game performance isn't even worth judging. He's been granted the opportunity to throw all of 16 passes. There's only one term for this-small sample size.

So outside of the practice field, the only thing we have to judge him on is his college performance. That is what I base my opinion on. I've seen no indication in those games that he doesn't ahve what it takes to be a good pro qb.

You do sound fairly optimistic though.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no question that if Favre retires this year, Rodgers will be given every opportunity to win the starting job.

I've read people questioning his leadership ability, but we can't yet assess his leadership ability because Favre is the leader of this team. Others question his mobility and that could be a concern until we shore up the OL.

Whether or not Rodgers, Nall or whoever wins the job when Favre retires, we are still going to go through growing pains with the new QB. That's always the case and Big Ben is no exclusion here -- his success last year was mainly due to a strong running game, good blocking and great defense.

So if Favre retires, then the future success of the next QB will be related to the rest of the team. Strong ST to give us good field position. Solid running game for play action. Good blocking. Strong defense to make up for offensive mistakes. It's a lot to ask and it's all in TT's and MM's hands right now.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one has any knowledge of how he's performed in practice besides TT and those coaches who are holdovers from Sherman's staff. This is because since training camp, practices have been closed to everyone but Packers personnel. Fact is no one knows how good Rodgers will be because no one has really seen him play. He looked awful in preseason except for one drive I can remember and didn't exactly light things up vs. Baltimore but at least in that game he did seem to throw a nice ball and seemed to be making decent decisions (except for that one forced throw which was picked). We'll know whether the Packers' brass thinks he can get it done at the draft this year if Leinart, Young or Cutler are still available when we pick and we either pass or trade down.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to be honest, in the Baltimore game when he saw playing time, besides the fumbles, I thought he did well. The INT he threw was horrible but besides that he moved them down the field. Also, the one fumble was a total blind-shot, Clifton almost had him killed.

I don't think you can judge him and I am not, I am just going to see how he performs and then give my $.02.

One more thing, if you go by his career at California you have no reason to be dissapointed.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because so many of the great QBs looked SO awesome the first time they saw the field. Favre was deemed a bust worthy of trading, Manning was crap, etc. We know nothing about the guy and, as smlutz sadi, we have only his college career to go by...which is not that bad.

I would guess that many of the people who call Rodgers a waste of a jersey are the same people who love Craig Nall (whom I like as well)...who also looks like **** in practice, but has been deemed "a gamer".

Bottom line....wait and see.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason I am worried about Rodgers is because every rookie struggles. I want Brett back because with him behind center we have a chance to win again, with Rodgers probably not. Also Rodgers fell to 24 in the draft, not to be a ******, I just didn't want false info getting out there.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz is right about his performance v. Baltimore...it was actually pretty good...with that said, still on the fence, and I'll admit, it's probably influenced by the hype surrounding this year's crop of qbs (I know, I know...Kiper et al are full of $hite, but it's getting to me, esp. Cutler)

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i heard good and bad but untill he really is in games i cant judge,although in the ravens game if given the chance he can be a good quaterback,he has the arm,and the the tecnique i didnt care about the interceptions or fumble the game was to far out of reach anyway,and even good quaterbacks make those mistakes,and like one poster said about big ben,he has the players behind him they needed a quaterback,and stepped up to protect him,even if brett doenst retire we will neeed another q.b. because nall wants to be a starter cant blame him look at hasslebeck,so i will not rule out or give up on a quaterback i think he is just waithing for his time and when it comes he will show he was worth the wait.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well............I base my opinion on his lack of golf game. Goodness he looked bad on the skills challenge the other night.

Some my call him a CHOP!!!!

A backup QB has got to be a better golfer....bottom line

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the interesting things about the responses on this thread is no one has mentioned Craig Nall.

The backup with some experience is Nall. True, he's a FA, but I wouldn't put it out of the question that TT tries to sign him. If Brett retires, Nall could provide some stability until A-Rod is ready to go. Rodgers isn't ready to go yet. Keep in mind the Carson Palmer example as how to bring along a new QB.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
One of the interesting things about the responses on this thread is no one has mentioned Craig Nall.

The backup with some experience is Nall. True, he's a FA, but I wouldn't put it out of the question that TT tries to sign him. If Brett retires, Nall could provide some stability until A-Rod is ready to go. Rodgers isn't ready to go yet. Keep in mind the Carson Palmer example as how to bring along a new QB.
Awhile back I posted this thought.

I like what I have seen of him but I was told in this forum that he is a terrible practice player so he isn't worth resigning.

So I guess that's it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, Nall has looked better on the field then Rodgers. That said, he's had alot more time in the system then Rodgers.
The thing i don't like about Rodgers SO far is.......he looks like a statue in the pocker. Right from the start, Favre ran around, and avoided tacklers. Rodgers just stands there.........now, that could change, but no one really knows yet if he can avoid a rush. And the O-line hasn't shown a whole lot lately. He will get killed if he doesn't learn some escape plans.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Rodgers actually looked pretty mobile in the pocket. And although he didn't play great overall, he at least looked physically capable of playing QB in the NFL. He threw a nice ball, and for the most part his decision-making was quick enough. I'm talking about the last exhibition game and his two regular season appearances here. In the first three exhibition games he looked lost--which was not unexpected for a rookie playing with second-stringers.

So I have no complaints about the guy yet. We will learn something in the preseason this year. I will expect him to look much better than he did in the preseason last year.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it's crazy to speculate on Rodgers and to consider him anything less than a blessing for falling into our lap in last years draft. Right now he has as good of a chance as anyone out there of being a great QB and if we surround him with some talent he will have an even better shot than some who having nothing around them at all.
Remember guys, he rose California up just like Brett did with S. Miss and after all the combines and evals was considered neck and neck with Smith for the #1 pick.
Any young QB in the NFL is a crap shoot and only time will tell for all of them. At least we don't have to burn our #1 in this years draft on a QB and can address other needs to improve the overall talent on this team which in turn will help him be more successful.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noisey Packer Fan said:
The only thing I have to say on the subject and to peoples evaluation of Rodgers is What was Bretts rookie year like? :roll:

You're right and because of that alone, it's far too early to call Rodgers a flop or a star quite yet...it's too bad the guy is judged on one season where he held a clipboard 99.9% of the time. He won't be the next Brett Favre, if that's what some are looking for. There won't be another Brett Favre so we'll have to adjust.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't MM do extensive scouting on Rodgers and rated him above Smith in the draft with san fran. We have a coach who is very familiar with him. He had ideas of what he could do with him and now hopefully MM knows what he doing now that he has him.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are getting to be a great number of "drive the car" quarterbacks in the league. We will not see quarterbacks like Marino, Elway, and Favre in the future. Peyton is good, but I'd like to see him throw the ball to Schroeder, Corey Bradford and a broken down Freeman.

I think we were fortunate to get Rodgers last year, so maybe we as fans should at least give him a season to prove himself before we ride him out of town.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:
Didn't MM do extensive scouting on Rodgers and rated him above Smith in the draft with san fran. We have a coach who is very familiar with him. He had ideas of what he could do with him and now hopefully MM knows what he doing now that he has him.

No...that is incorrrect. If you look at the comments MM made about Rodgers after the draft he wasn't sold on him. He thought Smith was the better quarterback.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
fvre4mvp said:

No...that is incorrrect. If you look at the comments MM made about Rodgers after the draft he wasn't sold on him. He thought Smith was the better quarterback.

I'd love to look at the comments, could you show me them? You have me concerned with this statement lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts