Why No Love For Rodgers?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
There are getting to be a great number of "drive the car" quarterbacks in the league. We will not see quarterbacks like Marino, Elway, and Favre in the future. Peyton is good, but I'd like to see him throw the ball to Schroeder, Corey Bradford and a broken down Freeman.

I think we were fortunate to get Rodgers last year, so maybe we as fans should at least give him a season to prove himself before we ride him out of town.

Exactly..the guy got "0" meaningful snaps and some ppl are calling him out as a sh*tty QB...I think we need to relax a little and watch him develop. He may very well be the heir apparent who can lead the Packers to victories in the post-Favre era.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:
fvre4mvp said:
Didn't MM do extensive scouting on Rodgers and rated him above Smith in the draft with san fran. We have a coach who is very familiar with him. He had ideas of what he could do with him and now hopefully MM knows what he doing now that he has him.

No...that is incorrrect. If you look at the comments MM made about Rodgers after the draft he wasn't sold on him. He thought Smith was the better quarterback.

I'd love to look at the comments, could you show me them? You have me concerned with this statement lol

This was taken from the Journal Sentinel article dated Jan 11, 2006. He doesn't rip him but he definately thought Smith was the better pick:

McCarthy directed the NFL's poorest offense this season in San Francisco, where four starting quarterbacks compiled a passer rating of 53.6. One of them, Alex Smith, was the first pick in the draft after McCarthy rated him above Aaron Rodgers.

"(Rodgers) definitely has a chance," McCarthy said in November. "He has ability. But I always have a problem with guys who have not played a lot. You worry whether they're one-year wonders.

"I thought he was a real good football player. I think he went where he was supposed to go. I think it was a good pick for them. We just didn't look at him as the first pick. We're happy with the guy we drafted."

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Wouldn't it be awesome if Aaron Rodgers was the next Tom Brady? Just thought I'd throw that out there.......

Wouldn't it be awsome if Aaron Rodgers was the next Brett Favre? I know blasphomey. Rodgers will get his chance and I will be his fan throughout it all. I can't imagine having the pressure of replacing #4 in Green Bay, it's gotta be intense as hell.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
Favre stunk his first two years and his first year starting in GB looked bad.

Okay... here are Favre's stats from his first two seasons in Green Bay vs his numbers from 2005.

Year... Pct.... YPA... Int.. TD.. Rate
1992.. 64.1.. 6.85.. 13.. 18.. 85.3
1993.. 60.9.. 6.33.. 24.. 19.. 72.2
2005.. 61.3.. 6.39.. 29.. 20.. 70.9
Why is it that he stunk then but he has still "got it" now?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
paxvogel said:

Okay... here are Favre's stats from his first two seasons in Green Bay vs his numbers from 2005.

Phil, based on your obsession with Favre, my guess is you didn't even have to look those statistics up.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aceschnd said:
NDPackerFan said:
Wouldn't it be awesome if Aaron Rodgers was the next Tom Brady? Just thought I'd throw that out there.......

Wouldn't it be awsome if Aaron Rodgers was the next Brett Favre? I know blasphomey. Rodgers will get his chance and I will be his fan throughout it all. I can't imagine having the pressure of replacing #4 in Green Bay, it's gotta be intense as hell.

I don't think he has the arm for that :wink: Although few players do. I think Chad Pennington before the injury troubles he's had the past few seasons would be a decent comparision for Rodgers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true......we haven't seen him enough to make an honest opinion. I'm strictly going on the little i saw of him. I'm sure not writting him off yet!

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ventured up to Green Bay this year and caught several practices as well as attended the Family Night scrimmage. I suppose he could develop but I came away unimpressed.

Unfortunately, Nall looked much worse than the year before. I think his confidence is shot with the Packers.

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really like rodgers hes got that cockyness that a quarterback needs "coach said that farve is the only one that can make that throw rodgers said i can make that throw"

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Philtration said:
paxvogel said:

He still has 'it' to a degree. He's definetely not the same caliber QB he was 10 years ago, no way. Is he still better than 20 starting QB's in the NFL, I say definetely.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stats are not everything. Favre has that thing that you can't learn or practice. He is a born leader and a tough bastard. I'd rather Rodgers have the intangibles that Favre has than have great stats anyway.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aceschnd said:
stats are not everything. Favre has that thing that you can't learn or practice. He is a born leader and a tough b@st@rd. I'd rather Rodgers have the intangibles that Favre has than have great stats anyway.

Wow I couldn't agree more! You sir are a genuis. Would you mind if I started a religion based on your teachings?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

ha..comical.

a new low for you.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Philtration said:
paxvogel said:

He still has 'it' to a degree. He's definetely not the same caliber QB he was 10 years ago, no way. Is he still better than 20 starting QB's in the NFL, I say definetely.

I agree. My point is that I really don't think that he sucked then, nor have I said that he sucks now. I never said that he should retire either, just that he should make up his mind and stop dragging this up every few weeks. How many threads about Favre leaving are going on at this site right now?
How many did I start?
How many did I comment on and how often?
It's not me no matter how much some here want to believe that.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil.....come on!!! What do you EXPECT on a PACKER FAN site!!! The best QB to wear a Packer jersey EVER is about to quit, and the majority of fans don't want him to go. So, we talk among ourselves about how we feel about it. What do you expect us to talk about??? How great Rex(the wonder dog) Grossman is? Or how Kyle Ortman (or whatever his name is) will be the next Johhny Unitas? If you don't want to read about Favre, and so on,..........why COME here?
How many QB's have the Bears had in the past 15 years? I KNOW it's been ALOT. So, we talk about Favre............soon enough, it will be over, one way or another.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right On Cheesy show'em whos boss. I'm sure we'll all be talking about the GREAT #4 long after he retires. Oh one more thing I thought that Rodgers had a great arm and that he could throw the ball a mile, am I receiving bad info?

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard many things about Rodgers that he can throw it deep that he cant you know there are alot of things that have yet to be seen. I am curious if MM has talked to him and told him to find some wide recieves somewhere and start getting those reps in because it may be your show.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Zero2Cool said:
Philtration said:
paxvogel said:

I agree. My point is that I really don't think that he sucked then, nor have I said that he sucks now. I never said that he should retire either, just that he should make up his mind and stop dragging this up every few weeks. How many threads about Favre leaving are going on at this site right now?
How many did I start?
How many did I comment on and how often?
It's not me no matter how much some here want to believe that.

This will probably make me look like a flip flop but... What I like about Bret t is he always answers honestly, in this case when it concerns his contract I would like him to say 'I'm under contract arent i?... theres yours answer' instead of 'i dont know if have it mentally' type of comments.

So yea its awesome he's not afraid to speak his mind, but in the same breath I have to say I wish he'd not discuss retirement until he's ready for it immediately.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Late jump into this thread, but taking it back to the original question, "Why No Love For Rodgers?

I guess because he hasn't earned any yet!

He was a rookie, when given the opportunity to get into a NFL game he looked like the lost rookie he was.

I find nothing to love or nothing to hate. I believed Mike Sherman and Ron Wolf when they said he wasn't ready -- that verified by my own observations.

His future -- whatever that maybe -- lies ahead of him.

But what exactly would there be to love about this guy yet?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Packer4ever..........i just don't understand how someone that visits a Packer site can be surprised when we discuss Favre. it just boggles my mind!
And Bruce.......good point! Rodgers hasn't done anything yet. He MAY turn out to be good, he may not. I have watched practice, but there's not enough info to go on with him yet. And it's only in a real game that you can judge how good or bad he may be. He doesn't have to have a "rifle" arm, if he has brains and accuracy. We have yet to see if he does. I sure haven't given up on the kid!