why matt flynn?

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why did we take matt flynn. We could've gotten erin henderson from Maryland or highsmith from LSU. Instead, we take flynn, who will be behind rodgers and brohm. I'm not a TT hater, but he messed up here.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a "stash on the practice squad for a few years and see if we can move him down the line" type move. Doesn't make much sense, though.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You better hope Korey Hall doesnt read this.

he was a 7th round linebacker we didnt need. Now he is YOUR starting fullback.

Ted is better than you.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why did we take matt flynn. We could've gotten erin henderson from Maryland or highsmith from LSU. Instead, we take flynn, who will be behind rodgers and brohm. I'm not a TT hater, but he messed up here.

he didn't mess up at all. we only got 2 qb's that are sure to make the team and thats rodgers and brohm. we need another qb to come in and compete along with a vet. how do u even know they were looking at henderson or highsmith?

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he practice squad material or might we go with Rodgers, Brohm, and Flynn?

Given the free agent options, in principle I like the idea of not bringing in a veteran. Though it would be something to have a combined 0 starts from all your QBs.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn was able to handle the pressure at LSU. He is also very patient because he waited for 3 years to get the starting job, then produced well when he did get it.

For a 7th round pick, it is a good pick, considering we only have 10 total years experience between our four QB's (Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn, and Nall), and maybe 0 starts between them all. We don't know whether or not Brohm will pan out, so it is always good to have a serviceable backup.

Reaction score
Behind Rodgers and Brohm, you'd have Dalton Bell and Jerry Babb... not exactly known commodities.

Flynn will add to the competition for #3 QB, push Babb and Bell. Might turn out to be a Hasselbeck type of player that eventually pans out. I think the seventh round is basically a 'get the players you are intrigued with but won't be able to sign as undrafted free agents for some reason or another' type of deal.

the_truth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He drafted a quarterback because he couldn't fill a hole for the team.

One cornerback? ONE? where is the back up running back? or a running back that can start?

you can't bet on Ryan, even though I like him. People said the same about Gaddo.

so where is the depth on this team?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the_truth said:
where is the back up running back? or a running back that can start?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He would like a word with you.

the_truth said:

Maybe you missed the part where we drafted 2 offensive linemen, 2 wide receivers, and 2 QBs.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Is he practice squad material or might we go with Rodgers, Brohm, and Flynn?

Given the free agent options, in principle I like the idea of not bringing in a veteran. Though it would be something to have a combined 0 starts from all your QBs.

I think we go into the season with.

Rodgers as Starter
Veteran as Backup
Brohm as Third string

leaving Flynn stashed away on the practice squad.

Someone mentioned Babb and the other dude are not 'known commodities' the same can be said for a lot of players before they became ... known so that comment ... [WINDOW] is here.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark Brunell (drafted 5th round pick by Packers) traded for 3rd round 66 pick
Hasselback (drafted 6th round by packers)1st rnd 17 traded for seattles 1st rnd 10 3rd rnd 72
That's why matt flynn in the 7th round

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Babb and the other dude are not 'known commodities' the same can be said for a lot of players before they became ... known so that comment ... [WINDOW] is here.

Fair enough Z, I should have worded it better.

Bell and Babb are young, and it'd be in the best interest of the Packers to push them a little, see how they respond to adversity, sort of try and bring out the best in everyone through competition.

With Ted having said that Nall appears unlikely to return, knowing you have a #3 QB that can handle pressure and adversity would serve the Packers well.

I'm interested in if you have any thoughts on a veteran QB the Pack might target Z. Perhaps you think someone like a Chris Simms in a trade?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yeah, it happens, somethings things don't come off as we tried to word them. Just takes one person to throw a different perception at it and boom! :)

all about da packers said:
I'm interested in if you have any thoughts on a veteran QB the Pack might target Z. Perhaps you think someone like a Chris Simms in a trade?

The Packers offered Daunte Culpepper a contract after his visit. I expect Daunte to do as what has been reported. Which is put some feelers out there to see if he can get a better opportunity to start. Daunte sees himself as a NFL caliber QB, not yet ready to be a mentor which is what the Packers would like him here for.

I half expect Daunte to sign with us or the Packers will try to persuade Trent Dilfer into continuing his NFL career and post pone his, what many feel is promising, tv analyst career.

I haven't really heard inside info about what will happen and everyone seems pretty hush on about a backup QB with the exception of Ted saying it was a position that will be addressed. That's like saying the Packers are going to draft some college kids, its pretty obvious.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and Now we take another Wide Receiver? Seriously, nothing against TT, but he messed up big time this draft.

I can understand not wanting another WR, but how does making a 'bad' move on day 2 equate messing up "big time this draft."

thats insane talk there.

OP
OP
F

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
favre2driver said:
and Now we take another Wide Receiver? Seriously, nothing against TT, but he messed up big time this draft.

I can understand not wanting another WR, but how does making a 'bad' move on day 2 equate messing up "big time this draft."

thats insane talk there.

Well, yea I overexaggerated a bit there, but I also disagree with taking jordy nelson with our first pick. We already have driver, jennings, and jones.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its a sign that some of our QBs (read not A-Rod) currently on roster won't make the final cut. Maybe Nall will be gone?

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted already said Nall's probably not coming back (he's an FA, not under contract now). WRs are always tough to get a solid number of. I remember a few years back when we had 3 injuries and Ty Davis was split out as our third WR (ironic in that he could never stay healthy either).

Right now we have Driver, Jennings and Jones who are keepers. Robinson was OK and Martin has always been an overachiever (more of a ST guy). If you can upgrade the 4th WR spot with Jordy and stash Swain on the practice squad (or ST only), you are in better shape should one of your top 3 get hurt. Plus, I could see GB running some 4WR sets as Rodgers is such a timing guy.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess so much for Nall.
It's too bad. I liked the guy. Hope he has success elsewhere.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can never have too many quarterbacks on a roster. Behind Aaron, Green Bay has exactly bupkis. Brohm, Flynn...maybe they'll pan out. Need some depth at the spot pretty bad.

Another receiver makes sense. Donald Driver's getting up there, the future of Koren Robinson and Ruvell Martin is up in the air. Besides, competition is always a good thing.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the_truth said:
Where is the back up running back? or a running back that can start?

you can't bet on Ryan, even though I like him. People said the same about Gaddo.

Ted is not finished. Perhaps a trade? Perhaps a trade with the Raidahs for Justin Fargus? Point is... I do not hink he is finished just yet..

R.P.

Members online

Latest posts