Why it makes more sense to target Whitner

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to get Byrd and would probably do backflips....however id be just as happy with Whitner. While he may not be the ballhawk Byrd is Whitner will hit you and he had shown the ability to make plays on the ball. Plus saving about 6 mil a yr to possibly use on another pass rusher would be great.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would be a great fit and bring some leadership to a secondary and defense that really needs it ever since Woodson has been gone. Maybe with him on our side, we could finally get over that hump against the 49ers.

USAToday sports listed the Packers as being the best fit for Whitner. While Byrd is obviously the premiere safety option on the market, Whitner would certainly be a fantastic alternative that would be a little easier on the payroll.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitner would be a huge upgrade for us but I've also seen him make enough mistakes in coverage to recognize why he's not worth as much as Byrd.

D

Deleted member 6794

Whitner would be an upgrade at the strong safety position, but he wouldn't help to address our biggest need at free safety. I don't want Burnett playing FS, so if the Packers sign a free agent it better be a FS.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitner would be an upgrade at the strong safety position, but he wouldn't help to address our biggest need at free safety. I don't want Burnett playing FS, so if the Packers sign a free agent it better be a FS.

I'm not Burnetts biggest fan right now either but just like Raji it's hard to stomach that a guy who showed so much promise could just suck all of a sudden . I think if Burnett could just concentrate on making plays on the ball and let a guy like Whitner be the enforcer then I think Burnett could flourish ...even if it's Calvin Pryor at SS. With Sorry MD Jennings back there I'll give burnett the benefit of the doubt and blame it on him having to think to much and try to do to much and it effected his play. Also I'd like to throw out there that Whitner played a lot of corner at Ohio state so FS wouldn't be to hard of an adjustment for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not Burnetts biggest fan right now either but just like Raji it's hard to stomach that a guy who showed so much promise could just suck all of a sudden . I think if Burnett could just concentrate on making plays on the ball and let a guy like Whitner be the enforcer then I think Burnett could flourish ...even if it's Calvin Pryor at SS. With Sorry MD Jennings back there I'll give burnett the benefit of the doubt and blame it on him having to think to much and try to do to much and it effected his play. Also I'd like to throw out there that Whitner played a lot of corner at Ohio state so FS wouldn't be to hard of an adjustment for him.

CB and FS are still two different things. Whitner last played FS at Buffalo, interestingly losing the starting position there to Byrd.

Members online

Latest posts