1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Why is it that when you die you become better than you were.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Raider Pride, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    The death of Cory Lidle is trajic and so very upsetting.

So very sad for his family, for his wife, and for his son. So devistating for his family as a whole. A Plane crash. A Death of a Yankee pitcher. He left a wife and child. This is so sad.

I feel so very sad. However, the question I have is this.

Why is his death so newsworthy? Why is his death less newsworthy than that of John Smith from Nebraska who was killed in Iraq last week? He was an average pitcher, and a name no one other than Yankee fans knew until this tragic day today.

Larry King had an hour on this fella tonight, ESPN had every interview in the world done with him and his friends.

When Mother Teresa of Calcutta died there was less news coverage than this.

Marilyn Monroe was an average actress until she O.D'd.

Bobby Kennedy was an average political force until his tragic death in Los Angeles.

Richie Vallens (SP?) was aone hit wonder until he went down with the Big Bopper and Buddy Holly?

I am just curous... Just because you were wearing the Yankee pin stripes and were an average pitcher does that make one a hero, a mortal, and any more important than Kevin Johnson who had a family of five and was killed by a drunk driver in missisipi three days ago?

I know I may be trashed for asking such a question in the wake of this tragic event. However, questions must be asked.

Why is the news media selling this story? Would it be on the news if it was a mortgage broker who crashed his plane into the condo's

R.P.

P.S. Do you realize if A-Rod and the Yankees had a few more hits Cory would not have been flying in that plane and would be alive today. Cory would have been at the ball park preparing for tonights game agaist the A's.

FATE!

2. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    Re: Why is it that when you die you become better than you w

Like Jim Croche. He was just a so-so talent who became a star because he died at a young age.
    I agree with some of what you said but Bobby Kennedy does not fall into that same category.
    I am pretty sure that Kennedy was going to become the next President of the U.S.
    He had just won the California primary and was shot after giving his victory speech.
    Most people do not believe that Nixon would have beaten him.
    That is why Sirhan Sirhan chose to shoot him. He was in fact assassinating the president of the U.S. because we backed Israel in the 1967 war with Egypt. He admitted that himself.

This is not a political post by the way.

You know, The Yankees lost as a team. It could have rained one day and pushed back the schedule. He could have taken off 20 minutes earlier and the sky may have been clearer.... You can come up with a million "what ifs" before you get to Alex Rodriquez.

3. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    r.p. - this happens thousands of times a day to the average joe's of the world as well. not the media coverage but the idea that when someone dies, suddenly they were a saint.

i still remember sitting with our minister right after my dad passed away. we were discussing his funeral & the minister said he'd just announce during the funeral that if anyone would like to say something about my dad, they should feel free to do so. then he shocked me by saying he'd only want a few people to talk because sometimes the deceased ends up elevated to 'sainthood' when we all know that we are all sinners. at first i was kinda pi$$ed about that comment because as far as i'm concerned, my dad WAS a saint. the more i thought about it though - it made sense.

4. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe it's because he flew a plane into a building in friggin' New York.

It was a major news story before they even knew it was Cory Lidle.

5. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the original poster, but this is why it's such a big story. It's annoying to see it all the time, but for awhile people thought 9/11 all over again.