Why I think Da Bears could be a threat.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only team I'm worried about in our division is Da Bears.
I see this all the time on here :chisux: and stuff putting down Jay Cutler etc.
But what is there to back that up?
Is it just blind prejudice?
With Jay Da Bears were the NFC champs last year.
And they did go to the Super Bowl not that long ago.
Let's be real here.
When I think about the winning seasons they've had recently, I can't help but think this could be their time.
Da Bears are a good team and they could beat us this year in more than one game.

I'm not looking for "smack talk" about them.
I want to have real well thought out discussions of why we should or should not be nervous about them this year.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is a packer board of course there is going to be bear hatred! :) that said, why don't you start the discussion since this your thread. What exactly about the bears scares you besides them being in the NFC championship game last year?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were the NFC champs last year. Don't ever make that mistake again ;)

As for the Bears, they simply don't have the offense to compete with us. Their D always plays though, and is the D we have the most difficult with, because of familiarity. But we had no running game when we faced them, and no Jermichael Finley, who killed them when he played them.

The only teams that are a threat to us are teams who have an elite D and an elite QB. The bears have only one of those, and even that is debatable.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you compared seasons last year, the Bears had luck on their side quite a few times, resulting in more wins than they should have had, while we were unlucky more than a few times, resulting in more losses than we should have had. I forget who, but one of the stat sites (I want to say Football Outsiders, but I truly don't remember) did an analysis of the two teams and found Green Bay, despite our record, to be the better team overall. They factored in a lot of different variables, luck being chief among them, and found the Packers would have dominated had luck just gone the other way, while the Bears would not.

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't fear the Bears this year

Lets not forget, they had 3 (maybe 4) games given to them last year. The refs gave them one over the Lions. Without those "gifts", they were a mediocre team at beast, & probably wouldn't
make the playoffs. Top that off with them meeting the weakest NFC opponent Seattle (who shouldn't have even made the playoffs), & Walla their in the NFC championship game.

I see us winning 12-13 games, the Lions 2nd place in the division, and the Bears & Vikings fighting it out for the bottom!

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the boys from Illinois lost one more game, they would have not made it to the playoffs and how many wins were given to them because of luck or the refs handing them the wins? That being said, thier OL is weaker than last season. They gave up 9 sacks last weak to the Bills.....if that continues,,,,Cutler will definetly be sitting out for the season will some sort of injury. and with this new kick off rule, they won't be getting any short fields to work with.(Devon Hester who?)Here's how I see the division at the end of the season

1. Packers..bank on it!
2. Lions...as long as Stafford doesn't get injured, with them getting a wild card
3. Bears. they could end up last in division(I sure hope so)
4. Vikings. other than Adrian, what do they have going for them?

Found this after submitting my post
http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears/09000d5d8206fe3c/Concerns-in-Chicago

Reaction score
Last time I checked, the Bears traded a descent tight end in Olsen for basically nothing. They also got a hand-me-down receiver (Roy Williams). I could see Marion Barber helping their team out a little bit, but I don't think he will factor into any major game. I could see the Bears having 10 wins at the max, but the Lions are more than likely going to surpass them.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I am with the watch out for the Lions crowd. The thing that always seems to save us from the Bears is all they ever seem to worry about is their defense. I mean look at how much they spend on Peppers, then let Olsen and Kruetz walk because they didn't want to pay them. They get Carimi, but don't do any other line upgrade and lose their center and tight end? Then with all the big name WR's out there, they go for Williams, who both Detroit and Dallas didn't think was worth keeping? Face it, Lovie Smith does not have a single clue on offense.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jay Cutler is not that great like people think,he showed that last year,their d-line is good dont gwt me wrong but with certain players back,Pepppers wont get t0 A-Rod like he did last year I know in preseason we've been slow out of the geat while other teams look oh so good,lions maybe a tough match on the d-line but I think our d will give them big headaches and they are better than bears they have a better q.b at least he stayed in the game with bummed shoulder,cutler is just not that great he takes way to many chances Hester is not great at w.r dallas let go of barber for a reason so what he will do is hard to say.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jay Cutler is not that great like people think,he showed that last year,their d-line is good dont gwt me wrong but with certain players back,Pepppers wont get t0 A-Rod like he did last year I know in preseason we've been slow out of the geat while other teams look oh so good,lions maybe a tough match on the d-line but I think our d will give them big headaches and they are better than bears they have a better q.b at least he stayed in the game with bummed shoulder,cutler is just not that great he takes way to many chances Hester is not great at w.r dallas let go of barber for a reason so what he will do is hard to say.
your post hurt to read

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
We, as Packers fans may hate to admit to it but the Bears don't suck as bad as we hope. They have a decent team and I think will rank a solid second in the NFC North. They have a solid defense for one, but do they rely too much on Peppers? I'm not going to pick apart their offensive line... Cutler is an "average" QB, not great and certainly not elite. Put him against elite defenses (such as the Pack :) ) and that becomes startlingly clear. They have Hestor, who in himself in one of the best players on that team. They have a good team but if we are to compare them to teams like the Packers, they fall short.

Another thing I'm looking at in the NFC North is the Lions. I think they might just do some roaring this year. Suh, anybody? Their D is gonna be tight but I would worry about their O-line, protection, if I were them. There QBs had better take out a good insurance plan, they might need it. I have to wonder about these Lions, may they be the sleepers in our division?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We absolutely should take them seriously. Our offense always seems to struggle against them. That reason alone should cause some concern.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course I think the Bears "could" be a threat. In fact I think they'll be pretty good again. IMO exhibit A for believing that is the three Packers/Bears games last season. Yes, the Packers beat them two out of three games, but never by more than 7 points. If you take away Raji's INT returned for a TD, the Packers averaged fewer than 14 points vs. the Bears and even with that fantastic play only averaged 16. I agree with PackersRS, Finley will be a difference maker vs. the Bears but they play the Packers tough.

Their offense should be better because they have another year in the Martz offense. I think Barber will help them and they traded TE Olsen because he doesn't fit the Martz offense - he wants TEs who can block and Olsen wasn't a good blocking TE. They signed Roy Williams because he is very familiar with Martz's O. And according to reports on "Bear radio", Cutler actually worked hard in the off-season and is in great shape. I think they'll be hurt by the new KO rules but their D could be better than last year and even if it isn't, as I said they've played the Packers' O tough.

But as Guacamole mentioned, I think their Achilles heel is their OL. As I previously posted, IMO a big part of their problem on the OL is they picked Chris Williams at #14 in the '08 draft to be their LT of the future and he isn't an NFL LT. Williams is now their LG.

The Bears gave up 56 sacks last year, including 9 to the Giants in one-half of football. But Mike Tice, their OL coach, had a midseason meeting with Martz and they went away from Martz's throw-the-ball-all-the-time scheme and righted the ship. However, they lost their leader of the OL, C Olin Kreutz who is old but was their "QB" of the OL. Williams is the only O linemen who started more than 4 games last year at his current position.

J'Marcus Webb, who played RT last season, is now their LT. This is a quote from a Chicago Tribune article on the OL play vs. Buffalo in their first pre season game: "Webb was responsible for at least two sacks in a half of action against the Bills and was dominated early by Shawne Merriman, who had two sacks and forced a third in nine snaps. "Maybe I didn't match his intensity," Webb said. "They came out as if we were in the regular season, and obviously I didn't. I've got to get a little bit better." If he only gets a "little bit better" we Packers fans will be smiling from ear to ear. I hope the Bears pay for not acquiring a true NFL LT.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Bears still have real issues in Offensive line, which means Cutler will be under siege again this year. We all know how well Cutler performs under pressure. They gave away Olsen. I don't think there offense will be very threatening. Their defense on the other hand has gotten better this year but if our Oline can protect ARoge I think we will still be able to burn them.

I agree with several other posters. Look out for the Lions this year. I think they will be our biggest challenge in the Division.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bears will be a threat.. IF they have the same luck they had last year and only have one or two injuries. Granted, this is football and their lack of injuries last year ranks right up there with parting lake Michigan, but I am sure they can do it again.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I get what he is saying, and he could be right.

Not 100% certain but I believe Pack fans were worried about Minnesota going into the 2010 season, uncertain if the Favre magic was going to wear off.

My biggest fear is the Lions actually being good this year, but I also doubt it, cause it looks like they will be 4-0 this preseason and that means their high hopes mostly will run out.

Thing about the Bears is they are ONE DIMENSIONAL

"But they are who we thought they were and we let 'em off the hook!"

Look at the Bears when Denny Green said that back in 2006, and look at them now. Nothing has changed really. That Defense is what made their season last year. That Defense is what wins them the game 3/4's of the time. They get credit for being the "only team that can shut Rodgers down" but you know that Jacksonville and Tennessee both have credit for shutting down Manning, because they both play the Colts twice a year. Thing is, this is DIVISIONAL. That's why it's OK to worry about the Bears. We play them twice a year and they are going to learn us better than any other team we ever play that is not in the NFC North.

I think the Bears will start out strong and blow it in mid season or late season. Cutler will get sacked over 50 times again, and probably suffer some injuries.

Their time is almost out. Lucky Lovie Smith won't have the same luck he had last year by beating Detroit off of a ******** call, and then beating us in Soldier Field with penalties. Actually if you take away that blown call in the Detroit game (which was a Touchdown) they would have been 10-6 and tied with us for the Division Title.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. If we didn't have all those penalties in the first meeting, we would have been 3-0 instead of 2-1.

Hopefully MM will have a tighter leash and we will be 2-0 and that's it against Da Bears.

My hunch is that the Lions will stay the same or go back to being bad again and Da Bears are going to be our strongest contenders.

We could get blindsided by the Vikings. They have a new coach. A playoff winning QB. And a roof that has been duct taped back together!

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost to them 20-17 and beat them by scores of 10-3 and 21-14. You can't have luck all three games. They're by far our toughest opponents in the NFC North. Lions are getting better but really hyped up. If McCoy throws 3 TD against your D in the 1st half, that's not good. We'll truly see their talent once they play Brady next week for an entire half. As for the Vikings, this is purely opinionated but I think they'll be a decent team with McNabb instead of Jackson. He's not what he's used to be but he's still a solid QB who will benefit from a strong running game. We have the talent to sweep the division but it's not going to be as easy as everyone thinks.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Speaking of Da Bears, don't look like Cutler has much protection tonight, getting pass rushed every single down.

I can't wait to play them actually, and see Cutler get slammed down.

Also he has to deal with animosity from the fans cause he is a quitter.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Bears will be hyping their game for the Packers, and Lovie won't shut up that its his job to beat us. While I think their games against us may be a showdown, I don't think so much as for their season. Bears won the division and are supposed to have a tougher season than the Pack this year. I think they may end up like the Vikings, and kind of crumple up into a taco after the Packers first win versus them.

Like always the team I fear the Packers playing this season is the Buc's. The one team I haven't seen Rodgers' team win against. Bears will always bring it for the Pack.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears were thoroughly embarrassed tonight but you have to remember when the starters went out on both sides it was 13-6. Defense played pretty well for both teams thank god both stank badly on offense. I was slightly worried about the Giants since we play em in the Meadowlands this year but man they really struggled.

Members online

Latest posts