Why I think Brett Favre should be traded...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First off..as Steve Young stated, "once Brett Favre realizes that the GB Packers are not committed to winning championships, he will retire."

Now it is obvious that TT is committed to rebuilding this team NOW. He knows that Brett Favre isn't going to hang around forever, so they drafted Aaron Rodgers and let both of their starting guards go. And imo, the Green Bay PAckers have not surrounded Brett Favre with a superstar quality receiver like Sterling Sharpe, Terell Owens, Randy Moss, Steve Smith..etc..etc..since Sharpe retired.

(Can you imagine what Favre could have done in the last five years with that quality type receiver...plus Walker and Driver?) Now I know some of you may argue that Robert Brooks was as good..or Walker..but the basic fact is that Favre has made these receivers better, and not the other way around. If he had a "true" superstar..he would have had his SB wins by now...

It is pretty much an accepted fact nationally that the Packer organization has abandoned it's committment to Brett Favre. He does not have the supporting cast to win consistently, and it is patently unfair to put all of the blame at his feet for the Packers fielding a losing team--one that is rebuilding...

PAcker fans are so used to Favre carrying this team over the years, that they are now blaming him for being unable to win in an impossible situation.

There is also another issue in the coaching department. Mike Sherman has had the benefit of a HOF QB for five years now, but has not been able to surround him with the talent that he needs to succeed, and Sherman can not "coach up" the players that he has had. (And I've got news for you...Brett Favre throws interceptions when his team is being beaten and he has no other recourse but to try and "make something happen" that is not there...or LOSE...)

Another issue is Sherossley. I've seen it stated and i can see in his play calling that he does not respect Brett Favre and his abilities. Sherossley's ego will not let Brett run this team the way it should be run...by letting Brett Favre be Brett Favre. I believe that SherRossley wanted to wrench this team away from Favre and turn it into a power running team (and because of coach Beightol he did that)..but he has had no answer for the passing game. MAybe it is because SherRossley wanted to put "HIS" stamp on the team and make it his own...but if you look back over the years, you can see that often they have not let Favre play to his talents....

As we all saw the other day, Favre has not "lost it", but the PAcker organization and coaching staff has...indeed.

Mike Sherman and Tom Rossley should let Favre be Favre or else give him the choice of going to a team that IS still playing for championships, and that will appreciate him, and let Brett Favre be Brett Favre....at least for a few more years.....

and believe me...many teams would love to have him...

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nice rant. wish i could say that i actually read all of it, or even half of it for that matter. guys like freeman shroeder were made by favre. all wrs are made better. that goes without saying. you need to open your eyes for a second and see that the got him javon walker who was/is on the verge of superstar status.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry..but that was not a "given"...and it took him a couple of years to start to produce since he was a rookie...

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can't argue that javon stock wasn't shooting thru the roof.

show me some wrs outside of moss that just jumped into the nfl and started tearing it up. it's not like javon came in and played every down right away. there is a transition.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has said on several occasions that he wants to play nowhere else but Green Bay and will retire a Packer so the point is moot.

As for Brett having "lost it" I don't think that's the case but his skills have clearly diminished and I don't think anyone can honestly dispute that point. He's still a top 10 QB in this league but he's no longer the best, but who would expect him to be in his 15th season at 36 years old.

Monday was the first truly magnificent performance I remember him having since the playoff game in 2003 vs. the Seahawks. It was one of those games like he used to play in the prime of his career on a regular basis. Brett simply is not that guy anymore. He's still the greatest who ever played IMO, but he's clearly on the downside of his career. Enjoy him while you can though because once he's gone, we're not likely to see another guy like him for quite some time, if ever.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has said he would NEVER play anywhere else and the Packers would never trade him let alone even think about it.

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre may not be at the top of the game anymore but he can still out play most of the QBs in the NFC. He's not going to play anywhere else and I don't think he should end up like Montana at the end of his of his playing days.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it'd be great if the Packers could have had a Moss or whatever, but that comes at a cost, and one of the focuses of MS as a GM was starting from the o-line which he invested a lot of $ into, thus assembling, arguably, the best unit in the league, which led to Ahman's 1880 yard season, etc.

Did this sacrafice the big names the Pack could have aquired at wr...yes, but for much of MS' tenure, the Packers have had at least compotent, if not probowl-caliber receivers, even w/out spending a ton of money.

Freeman/Shroeder started to slide when MS arrived, so he tried bringing in a borderline superstar vet (Glenn) to bridge the gap between then and when his new picks would mature. That more or less worked, and it's hard to argue that DD and JW weren't a top 5 wr tandem last year.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Further Evidence that Javon was/is on his way to being a superstar. Elite WR's first 3 yrs.

Javon Walker
2002 Green Bay Packers 23 319 1
2003 Green Bay Packers 41 716 9
2004 Green Bay Packers 89 1382 12
Randy Moss
1998 Minnesota Vikings 69 1313 17
1999 Minnesota Vikings 80 1413 11
2000 Minnesota Vikings 77 1437 15
Terrell Owens
1996 San Francisco 49ers 35 520 4
1997 San Francisco 49ers 60 936 8
1998 San Francisco 49ers 67 1097 14
Marvin Harrison
1996 Indianapolis Colts 64 836 8
1997 Indianapolis Colts 73 866 6
1998 Indianapolis Colts 59 776 7
Chad Johnson
2001 Cincinnati Bengals 28 329 1
2002 Cincinnati Bengals 69 1166 5
2003 Cincinnati Bengals 90 1355 10

Torry Holt
1999 St. Louis Rams 52 788 6
2000 St. Louis Rams 82 1635 6
2001 St. Louis Rams 81 1363 7

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make a few good points, but in reality , at THIS POINT IN TIME, Favre IS the Green Bay Packers. We have nothing else. Sherman is at fault for putting him out on an island, I don't think he did it intentionally, but the man is a terrible judge of talent. I have supported him as a coach over the years but I withdraw that support. I don't even think he would be a good offensive coordinator in the NFL.
I think the Green Bay Packers offense would be better if Brett took it upon himself to call the plays regardless of what the coaches sent in, because the playcalling is pathetic.
Besides no team that is on the verge of a championship within the next two years would want to trade for the "greatest QB who ever stepped on the field" because they already have a young guy in place, they don't need a guy in the twilight of his career.
Remember the Johnny Unites trade! Of course you don't!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Monday was the first truly magnificent performance I remember him having since the playoff game in 2003 vs. the Seahawks. It was one of those games like he used to play in the prime of his career on a regular basis. Brett simply is not that guy anymore. He's still the greatest who ever played IMO, but he's clearly on the downside of his career. Enjoy him while you can though because once he's gone, we're not likely to see another guy like him for quite some time, if ever.

I think if he can get the WR's onboard with his approach to the game - clearly not the case so far... then YES, BRETT IS BACK!

Otherwise, fagetaboutit....

We can always count on Brett to give it his all... every game.
It's the other Players who aren't saddlin' up as a Team!

IMHO - Brett's got at least two more years left in him....

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TOPackerFan wrote:

"Monday was the first truly magnificent performance I remember him having since the playoff game in 2003 vs. the Seahawks. It was one of those games like he used to play in the prime of his career on a regular basis. Brett simply is not that guy anymore. He's still the greatest who ever played IMO, but he's clearly on the downside of his career."

To..i hate to disagree..but that is a bunch of HORSESHIT!

I guess you don't remember the Raaiddahh game last year or when Favre went into the dome and had a great game with a QB rating through the roof..and there were other games like that...

He only threw for 4,000 yards and 30 td's last year..but yeah..he can't play anymore...

Did it ever occur to you that the fact that his receiving talent and coaching talent has diminished...so has some of the vintage Favre that we all know and love...

You might want to allign yourself with Michael Irving's opinion..but I sure don't...

Put Favre in Indy with those receivers and i say he outdoes Peyton Manning...no Favre hasn't lost a step...the Packer's have...and it's time for some people here to accept it....

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 - How can you count out the receivers for GB in one breath and then mention the "Raaiddahh game" of last year? Did Brett Favre's receivers not come up huge that game? Did Brett not throw about 5 passes up for grabs only to have Walker, Driver, etc. come down with all of them? That game historically will go down as one of #4's all-time greatest but little will be mentioned of the effort the receiving corps gave that game to give Favre the notoriety. IF the receivers don't go up and catch the "up for grab" passes he threw that day, the game would have been different and Favre would have at least 3 if not 4 more INT's on his total. Sorry but that's the truth.

I agree that Favre is THE MAN and always will be in the Packer annals, but don't talk out of both sides of your mouth please! Even Favre has said he has more talent at receiver now (this is prior to Walker's injury) than he has had throughout his career. I don't see the receivers as the issue, I see the line that can't run block and Ahman Green can't establish a run game that is hindering the Packers offense and nothing more IMHO.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack, you've made it clear that you feel that the lack of talent around Brett is hindering his performance. At this point in the season, I wouldn't necessarily dispute that, however, if you question Brett's ability to win w/out talent (and coaching), how can't you acknowledge that MS, at least to some extent is affected by the lack of talent that TT has given him?

In '03 the Packers experienced one of the best rushing attacks, and offensive seasons in their history, followed in '04 by another productive season...and this was under the guidance of "sherosley" and "horrible predictable playcalling" and "awful coaching." What is the major difference between now and '03/'04? The offensive line. Under who's watch did it fall apart? TT. How can you blame everything on MS?!?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerfan...couldn't have said it any better about the raider game. I respect Brett for playing, he did a good job of getting it in the wr's vicinity, but they were the ones that made the plays on a lot of those balls that were thrown into double coverage (e.g. Walker's 50 yard bomb where he fell back into the endzone between the 2 safeties)

IronBMike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Pack66. If we lose this week and go 0-5, trade Favre. I hate to say it, but it will help the team.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
TOPackerFan wrote:

"Monday was the first truly magnificent performance I remember him having since the playoff game in 2003 vs. the Seahawks. It was one of those games like he used to play in the prime of his career on a regular basis. Brett simply is not that guy anymore. He's still the greatest who ever played IMO, but he's clearly on the downside of his career."

To..i hate to disagree..but that is a bunch of HORSESHIT!

I guess you don't remember the Raaiddahh game last year or when Favre went into the dome and had a great game with a QB rating through the roof..and there were other games like that...

He only threw for 4,000 yards and 30 td's last year..but yeah..he can't play anymore...

Did it ever occur to you that the fact that his receiving talent and coaching talent has diminished...so has some of the vintage Favre that we all know and love...

You might want to allign yourself with Michael Irving's opinion..but I sure don't...

Put Favre in Indy with those receivers and i say he outdoes Peyton Manning...no Favre hasn't lost a step...the Packer's have...and it's time for some people here to accept it....

First things first, you don't hate to disagree with anyone but here's where you're wrong:

1. The Raider game was before the Seahawks game and Walker made Favre look pretty damn good that night;

2. The game in the dome last year was a great game but it was not on par with what he did Monday Night which is putting a bunch of average offensive players on his back and nearly-singlehandedly putting up enough points to win the game (something he did in the 90s and in the first couple of years of the 00s);

3. I was talking about those WOW! games that he used to have with regularity. Those games that no one else in the league ever used to have and Monday was the last time I remember him playing one of those since January of 2004;

4. I think this is the best group of receivers Brett has ever had (assuming Walker is in there) bar none so I disagree that the talent around him, at least at WR has diminished;

5. I never once said he couldn't play anymore. I said he was a top 10 QB in the NFL. He is, IMO, on the downside of his career and I don't think you can argue with that seeing as how he's played for 15 years and is 36 years old; and

6. The day I align myself with Michael Irvin is the day I become a Queens fan. I hate that guy and think he's an absolute moron. Re-read my post and you'll see I do not agree with his point of view at all. Irvin thinks he can't play at all whereas I think he's a top 10 QB in the NFL.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP, I can no longer watch ESPN pre-game due to the obnoxious and bombastic Michael Irvin. Initially, I liked his enthusiasm, but when he began talking over EVERYONE, it became too much

Do you get the impression that Steve Young has at least 3 strong impulses to backhand that loudmouth every Sunday?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do. Steve Young is a pretty smart guy and there is the inherent Cowboys 49ers rivalry at play as well, so it's my impression that Young can't stand Irvin. I now listen to the WTMJ pre-game show over the internet because I find Irvin so irritating. The only ESPN program I watch on Sunday is Prime Time, mostly because Irvin is not on it.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironmike. How in the world would trading Favre help the team? Thank goodness the team has Favre!!!! NO FAVRE TRADE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me in on somebody who doesn't get how trading Favre would help the team. If you think we're seeing a BAD team, trade Favre and throw Rodgers in there. He has proven nothing yet and was terrible pre-season. He's a green kid and I'm not even sold on him as the heir apparent. I think we jumped the gun on drafting him. That being said, our entire organization needs shaking up, starting with Sherman and Rossley. Who do you think is making, imo, those horrible offensive calls?

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:
Ironmike. How in the world would trading Favre help the team? Thank goodness the team has Favre!!!! NO FAVRE TRADE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO way Carol. They dare not trade him. Its not his fault the way the team is performing. He has no receivers. Trade the receivers instead and the offensive line. Favre has had a good consistent run with the Pack until this time. He will have another consistent run again with them.

IronBMike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:

What I mean is that it will help us create a strong team down the road. Getting a #1 draft pick and maybe more for him will really help. I think that if we lose and go 0-5, trade him, because we have low chances of making the playoffs and even if we do make the playoffs, we are not going anywhere. It would not help the team this year, but later on it would.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I recommended offering Favre to be traded for Farve's sake. To put him out of his misery this year of having to play for a team that's going nowhere...and to perhaps play for a contender in the nfl for 1 to 2 more years...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IBM - the so-called Favre-trade... will NEVER happen....ever!

Like it's been posted before - Favre won't hear of it.

He'll retire, period! And, THAT, will be the end of it.

Start looking at what might fix the Team, from some other angle - this Dog won't hunt!

Members online

Latest posts