Why I hate Mike Sherman....

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike Sherman has had the incomparable priviledge of coaching the Green Bay Packers for 5 years now...and for quite a bit of money (millions) per year....

And in those 5 years..many things to justify his dismissal have occurred..

1. He has taken a strong team over in 2000 (yes, they were a good team..Ray Rhodes record to the contrary) and systematically dismantled it over the years by terrible decisions as GM and his absolute ignorance of defensive football.

2. He has appointed his "friends" or cronies regardless of whether they are qualified or talented enough to be in that position.

3. He consistently fields Packer teams that are emotional flat, unmotivated, and soft when it comes to game time..(just as he is these things)

4. He has made poor game time decisions, adjustments, and game planning over the years. Examples are abundant...

(2-4 playoff record, Home Field disadvantage for the Packers...losing to the Eagles, Jets, Falcons, and Vikings...etc..etc..)

5. His playcalling during games is unimaginative and predictable..thereby making it much harder on the offense to be successful.

6. He didn't deserve to be given both positions of GM and HC..since he himself was an inexperienced "tight ends coach" with no track record of victory or achievement. (Contrary to the opinion that he is a "nice man", "likeable", "interviews well"...or "attends church on Sunday"..this is no basis to give him two of the most powerful positions in the Green Bay Packer organization).

7. He has totally ignored 1/2 of his football team (the defense) for five years...

8. He plays too passively (conservatively) when the Packers are ahead, thereby giving the other teams a chance to get back in the ballgame.

9. He doesn't play to "win"..he plays "not to lose"...

10. Mike Sherman simply does not have "what it takes" to be a good coach in the National Football League...He is not a "winner:.....

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the Packers 1 and 4 or 5 and 0?

If you are happy with 1 and 4......... MY GOD !!!!!!!

Bates and good old # 4 are the reason why they won today.

Talk about spouting off too soon............... Let's see how the seson ends before you start handing Sherman coach of the year honors for 1 win. They are in last place in the worst division in the NFL. NOW THAT"S SOMETHING TO HANG YOUR HAT ON!

Since when did and 1 and 4 become something to be proud of? Sounds like a Chicago Bear fan attitude.....

NFC North
Team W L T PCT PF PA
Detroit 2 2 0 .500 71 75
Chicago 1 3 0 .250 62 59
Minnesota 1 3 0 .250 64 107
Green Bay 1 4 0 .200 124 95

WOW THAT SHERMAN IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!! :bow:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packman... one win...whoopdedoo, I agree. However, look at all of the things Pack66 has listed there and how many times he was contradicted today...

He plays not to lose? Why was Brett in, and passing late in the 3rd?

His playcalling...what was so unimaginative about it today?

His teams are always flat?!? For an 0-4 team, they looked pretty excited today.

...I'm just saying that a lot of the criticisms of MS typically aren't as bad as they may appear to be.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you there musccy!

I feel Sherman has a long way to go to deserve another season with this team.

This team is not that far away from being a contender again, but the stupid silly mistakes must end for that to happen. I think Bates is fantastic and has his defense playing pretty inspired football even with their lack of talent.

Sherman is the top man and he is responsible for quality control. Quality control for this team took a step in the right direction today and needs to continue or Sherman should be replaced at seasons end. Win or lose, this team needs to show that they learn from their mistakes. This team will not make a run this year, but has a chance to make a solid run next year and years to come with the edition of Bates. I care how the Packers look in victory or defeat, for me I want to see improvement for the future. Stupid penalties, not having enough men on the field, practices which are unorganized etc. is unacceptable. This organization deserves and needs the best. There is nothing Sherman has done during his tenure that leads me to believe he is the best.

I gave him his kuddos last year for helping this team rebound, how many times do they have to be put in the situation to have to rebound? Let's get it right from the get go!!!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree w/ the improvement aspect...I'm not so sure that we should be expecting the playoffs, or at least not a very deep trip into them w/ this team this year. And, although I think a lot more of the blame for penalties, dropped balls, missed blocks, etc. should be placed on the players than it is, I agree that MS should shoulder a lot of the responsibility for this team improving.

I think we've seen baby steps in the Tampa and Carolina games, then one huge jump today, which is why I'm encouraged...every aspect improved today...run game, wrs, defense, Brett's reads, focus, etc.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agre with Pack66. I'm happy as can be about today's huge win, but they lost to 3 Pathetic teams and one pretty good team. I can't understand how anyone can defend a coach who can't get his team ready to play and why it seems to take five games before they realize the season has started. I'm a huge Packer fan so don't anyone make accusations about that. The fact of the matter is, Sherman is a mediocre coach at best. He may very well be a wonderful person, but he is a lousy coach.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doom and Gloom? What are you watching this team through rose colored glasses? They won a huge game today and finally played well. That doesn't however dismiss the dismal play of this team the first four games. Maybe it's a start, but I expect this team to at least compete, even if they aren't good enough, at least come out and play good football. Some of you people amaze me. It's that kind of thought that brought this team to 29 years of losing. We couldn't do any wrong during those 29 years and we drafted badly, were coached badly, and it took someone with the football knowledge of Ron Wolf and his brilliant hire of Mike Holmgren that finally turned it around. I just don't want those expectations of winning to be lost because we are all loyal Packer fans and therefore we allow this team to be bad.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey 66 which two players on defense really stepped up today?
Who was responsible in bringing them to The Packers?
Now if you answer me,I expect you to list all the bad players that have come to Green bay.

I understand that you think Mike Sherman is the only GM/HC that has ever made a mistake on a player, but lord man give him some credit once in awhile, Al Harris and Nick Barnett came up huge today, along with all those young guys on the defensive line that have been there learning the last two or three years.

Jim Bates gets the credit, but from what you write, Mike Sherman has never ever did one good thing since he has come to Green Bay.

66 do you "REALLY HATE" Mike Sherman, that is a pretty strong word, its football man, if it makes you "HATE" maybe you should take a break, don't worry Sherman will be gone soon, then you will be able to complain about his successor.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His decisions as a rookie GM do not disqualify him as coach.

Nobody is perfect. Who is worthy to replace him? Unless you have an alternative, complaining serves no purpose.

Coach Sherman has always coached the team to a winning record even when things looked bleak during his first year, 04, and hopefully this year.

NFL wide throwing the red flag is a losing bet.

One losing season is not enough to fire him. In the loses to Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Carolina they were in every game and had a chance to win during most of those games. They lost 3 by a total of 6 points.

Changing coaching staffs and philosophies at the end of the year is counter productive.

His contract is guaranteed and costly to break.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
66 has tunnel vision. But, Sherman will be judged on the season, not this one game. The guy is batting .200 right now...not exactly the stuff of Champions. Good game, but he screwed the pooch early this year. Let us all see how the next 5 games play out. Does he stay aggressive on offense, or does he go back into a shell and play passive. The rest of the season will be interesting.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great posts by buckeyepack fan

The Packers won, MS must have played some contributing role in the victory, and some of his selections as a GM stepped up big...so it's not as though EVERY one of his GM moves was a bust...give the guy a little bit of credit once in a while.

And although I tend to side w/ MS more than others, I agree w/ digs that now that we know the Packers can compete well, the precedent has been set, we need to keep the ball rolling, and MS has a lot of responsibility to see that happens.

With that said, keep in mind that not every team will lay down and play dead like the Saints did, nor can the Packers execute that well every week!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packman4Favre said:
I agree with you there musccy!

I feel Sherman has a long way to go to deserve another season with this team.

This team is not that far away from being a contender again, but the stupid silly mistakes must end for that to happen. I think Bates is fantastic and has his defense playing pretty inspired football even with their lack of talent.
This comment reminds me "immediately" of the 2001 New England Patriots!

Packman4Favre said:
Sherman is the top man and he is responsible for quality control. Quality control for this team took a step in the right direction today and needs to continue or Sherman should be replaced at seasons end. Win or lose, this team needs to show that they learn from their mistakes. This team will not make a run this year, but has a chance to make a solid run next year and years to come with the edition of Bates. I care how the Packers look in victory or defeat, for me I want to see improvement for the future. Stupid penalties, not having enough men on the field, practices which are unorganized etc. is unacceptable. This organization deserves and needs the best. There is nothing Sherman has done during his tenure that leads me to believe he is the best.

I gave him his kuddos last year for helping this team rebound, how many times do they have to be put in the situation to have to rebound? Let's get it right from the get go!!!!

Exactly - why do we have to get our butts kicked so many times before true tactical ability becomes a habit... After Sherman's first year, it should have been a NON-ISSUE --- and then again, we saw in 2003 - out in Tempe, AZ - woohoo, 33,000 Cheeseheads in 106 degree weather - watching the Packers lose to one of the worst teams in the League. Yeah, my VP got a real kick out of that one... thanks, Coach! You too, Rossley!

Gentlemen - it shouldn't take the threat of going 0-16 for a Coach to review what's going on.

WHAT THE HELL's GOIN' ON OUT THERE?"

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Mike Sherman has had the incomparable priviledge of coaching the Green Bay Packers for 5 years now...and for quite a bit of money (millions) per year....

And in those 5 years..many things to justify his dismissal have occurred..

1. He has taken a strong team over in 2000 (yes, they were a good team..Ray Rhodes record to the contrary) and systematically dismantled it over the years by terrible decisions as GM and his absolute ignorance of defensive football.

2. He has appointed his "friends" or cronies regardless of whether they are qualified or talented enough to be in that position.

3. He consistently fields Packer teams that are emotional flat, unmotivated, and soft when it comes to game time..(just as he is these things)
I gotta hand it to Pack66 - when he sits down and writes up a listing of valid points of contention - he can nail it pretty well.
Ray Rhodes problem was we had a few new guys who had never seen Mike Holmgren and his "attack the Player & take no BS" approach - suddenly, we have a locker room full of guys who were sluffin' off - Darren Sharper was one of 'em. Damn good point. Sherman has never inspired fear from the Players to do their best!

P@ck66 said:
4. He has made poor game time decisions, adjustments, and game planning over the years. Examples are abundant...

(2-4 playoff record, Home Field disadvantage for the Packers...losing to the Eagles, Jets, Falcons, and Vikings...etc..etc..)

5. His playcalling during games is unimaginative and predictable..thereby making it much harder on the offense to be successful.
PREVENT FOOTBALL "prevents" winning! Ask Vince Lombardi.

P@ck66 said:
6. He didn't deserve to be given both positions of GM and HC..since he himself was an inexperienced "tight ends coach" with no track record of victory or achievement. (Contrary to the opinion that he is a "nice man", "likeable", "interviews well"...or "attends church on Sunday"..this is no basis to give him two of the most powerful positions in the Green Bay Packer organization).
The entire premise about football - can be re-iterated by a few good quotes from ol' Vince right about now --- being a good interview-ee doesn't make that person the "right" person for the job.

P@ck66 said:
7. He has totally ignored 1/2 of his football team (the defense) for five years...

8. He plays too passively (conservatively) when the Packers are ahead, thereby giving the other teams a chance to get back in the ballgame.

9. He doesn't play to "win"..he plays "not to lose"...
Marty Schottenheimer all over the place - no KILLER instinct / Eye of the Tiger!

P@ck66 said:
10. Mike Sherman simply does not have "what it takes" to be a good coach in the National Football League...He is not a "winner:.....
On this issue - his stats say otherwise - but his PLAYOFF RECORD demonstrates the validity of the inherent meaning of this comment.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
HEY MUSSCY...

It was ONE GAME..there's plenty of time this season for Sherman to disappoint us...unfortunately.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
HEY MUSSCY...

It was ONE GAME..there's plenty of time this season for Sherman to disappoint us...unfortunately.

Its funny how EVERY loss is Sherman's fault but Every win is as a result of some solid play.

Could it be that Packers lose because they didn't make plays? That may be Sherman had them prepared but the players just didn't perform?

Pack66, somehow I knew you'd find some way to down grade the Packer win. That's just your nature.

Packer fans have a right to rejoice the BIGGEST win in a LOOONG time! Why do you try to ruin that?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66...

Can't you just enjoy a win? Of course they're only 1-4 but that was one of the most dominating performances in Packers history, yet you still managed to **** all over it.

Like DePack alluded to...I think you hate it when the Packers win, esp. like this because you are more a fan of *****ing about MS than you are of the Packers...thus when they perform like this, you have to sit on your hands for a week. Those 5 turnovers, re-established run game, effective play-action, and ball distribution must have drove you nuts.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Sherman generally, but my biggest criticism of him has always been the slow starts, both in games and in the season overall. Points scored in the first quarter count just as much as points scored in the fourth and wins in September count just as much as wins in December. MS always gets the ship righted, but I really wish we would come out playing well from the get-go not needing miracles or a Vikings choke (which you can generally count on) to win the division.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts