Why I expect the Packers to get back to the SB in 2012

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Tradition: Every SB the Packers have been in they repeated.
2) The Bears are the strongest rival right now in our division. But I think the Packers are the strongest team in our division.
3) We saw what they did last year on the road with benchwarmers.
4) Aaron Rodgers.

Your agreements/disagreements other comments?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
none, though the Lions are coming on fairly strong, even with their injuries. They will be a good team and will cause fits for the Packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last SB champ to win a playoff game was the pats.

Can we do it? of course. Will we? I sure hope so.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think. barring a menagerie of injuries again. the packers have a good shot of getting to Indy this year. I'll say this too I dont really care if our regular season record is 10-6 and we barely squeak in like last year we will be DANGEROUS in the post season

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know if they do go to Indy, it will be full of green and gold and practically a home game.
That is, as long as they don't play the Colts.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I am way more concerned about Detroit than I am the Bears.

Good reason why:

Even in preseason their Offensive Line hasn't changed a bit. They sacked Cutler 4 times if I read correct reports. They gave up 8 sacks against a team that gave up 300+ points last season and only won 4 games.

Come draft time they didn't draft O-Line either. They just keep racking up on depth of the defensive chart cause as I know; Lucky (That's his name, not Lovie after the Lions win) Smith is just a defensive guy. He knows NOTHING about running an offense, and that's why he must not really give a **** about fixing their terrible O-Line. Can't really blame Mike Martz on that even though Bears fans love to. Martz is a good coordinator but he's probably suggested fixing their O-line and the front office and head coach don't seem to care. Look at how long they let Rex Grossman stay there. I would have ran him out of town after the super bowl loss.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Living in the "Greater Chicagoland area" I think some of this has to do with the lingering mystique of the Monsters of the Midway. While I agree generally with the notion that defense wins championships the modern game requires much more of a team to win and it just seems to me that the Bears are more concerned with maintaining that decades old image (ca. 1985) than with fielding a balanced squad that can bring it ALL together.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I've heard Bears fans tell me

"Defense wins championships."

If that was so the Bears would have been able to beat the Colts in the Super Bowl LMAO. Unlike Baltimore they didn't get to play a ****** team in the Super Bowl, which proved that whole statement can go either way.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Come draft time they didn't draft O-Line either.
Actually the Bears took an O lineman at #29 in the first round: The Badgers' Gabe Carimi is starting for them at RT - I think that was a rare good pick for them. IMO a big part of their problem on the OL is they picked Chris Williams at #14 in the '08 draft to be their LT of the future and he isn't an NFL LT. Williams is now their LG. I think years down the road, we'll be glad the Bears picked Carimi - even as good as I think he'll be - instead of a true LT of the future in Sherrod.

The Bears gave up 56 sacks last year, including 9 to the Giants in one-half of football. But Mike Tice, their OL coach, had a midseason meeting with Martz and they went away from Martz's throw-the-ball-all-the-time scheme and righted the ship. However, they lost their leader of the OL, C Olin Kreutz who is old but was their "QB" of the OL. It was reported that Kreutz wanted $4.5M for this season and the Bears offered $4M with a time limit to accept the offer. He declined so Williams is the only O linemen who started more than 4 games last year at his current position.

J'Marcus Webb, who played RT last season, is now their LT. This is a quote from a Chicago Tribune article on the OL play vs. Buffalo Saturday: "Webb was responsible for at least two sacks in a half of action against the Bills and was dominated early by Shawne Merriman, who had two sacks and forced a third in nine snaps. "Maybe I didn't match his intensity," Webb said. "They came out as if we were in the regular season, and obviously I didn't. I've got to get a little bit better." (I added the emphasis.) Ya, surrendering 2 sacks in 9 snaps would equal about 14 sacks in an average game of about 65 snaps.

The Bears did run the ball well Saturday but with Martz as OC, they have to pass block better or Cutler won't survive the season. Their D has handled the Packers' O better than most teams so I am not dismissing them as some have. I expect them to pound the run against the Packers in an effort to keep the ball away from Rodgers and keep the score tight.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Actually the Bears took an O lineman at #29 in the first round: The Badgers' Gabe Carimi is starting for them at RT - I think that was a rare good pick for them. IMO a big part of their problem on the OL is they picked Chris Williams at #14 in the '08 draft to be their LT of the future and he isn't an NFL LT. Williams is now their LG. I think years down the road, we'll be glad the Bears picked Carimi - even as good as I think he'll be - instead of a true LT of the future in Sherrod.

The Bears gave up 56 sacks last year, including 9 to the Giants in one-half of football. But Mike Tice, their OL coach, had a midseason meeting with Martz and they went away from Martz's throw-the-ball-all-the-time scheme and righted the ship. However, they lost their leader of the OL, C Olin Kreutz who is old but was their "QB" of the OL. It was reported that Kreutz wanted $4.5M for this season and the Bears offered $4M with a time limit to accept the offer. He declined so Williams is the only O linemen who started more than 4 games last year at his current position.

J'Marcus Webb, who played RT last season, is now their LT. This is a quote from a Chicago Tribune article on the OL play vs. Buffalo Saturday: "Webb was responsible for at least two sacks in a half of action against the Bills and was dominated early by Shawne Merriman, who had two sacks and forced a third in nine snaps. "Maybe I didn't match his intensity," Webb said. "They came out as if we were in the regular season, and obviously I didn't. I've got to get a little bit better." (I added the emphasis.) Ya, surrendering 2 sacks in 9 snaps would equal about 14 sacks in an average game of about 65 snaps.

The Bears did run the ball well Saturday but with Martz as OC, they have to pass block better or Cutler won't survive the season. Their D has handled the Packers' O better than most teams so I am not dismissing them as some have. I expect them to pound the run against the Packers in an effort to keep the ball away from Rodgers and keep the score tight.

They are all D to me. I have to see their O-Line actually protect Cutler to believe that their offense will be doing something worthwile.

That was their problem last year. And that's also how we beat them.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree very much with this thread! I think both the Bears and Vikings O-lines will be their downfall. The Lions are sleepers, but I still think the Pack is gonna take it there again! :)

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know if they do go to Indy, it will be full of green and gold and practically a home game.
That is, as long as they don't play the Colts.

I would soooo love it. I live in SW Mich and it would be fun to take a trip down there during Super Bowl week just to hang out and maybe meet the team.

Members online

Latest posts