Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate TT because he does not have an effervescent persona in front of cameras. I am quite positive this aspect of his personality has had significant negative impact on his ability to evaluate talent!!

Damn, I wish he was more bubbly.

Back on topic, people. We are dissing TT dammit!

I wouldn't be shocked if that had an effect on him luring FAs though.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I hate TT because he does not have an effervescent persona in front of cameras. I am quite positive this aspect of his personality has had significant negative impact on his ability to evaluate talent!!

Damn, I wish he was more bubbly.

Back on topic, people. We are dissing TT dammit!

I wouldn't be shocked if that had an effect on him luring FAs though.

only if he was trying to date FA's not sign them to a football contract.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know who was funny and charismatic on ESPN last week, who seemed like a good guy you wouldn't mind hanging out with?

Matt Millen.

(seriously, he was crackin jokes, it was weird. Too bad his team is the joke of the league)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Money talks, bubbly walks.

TT doesn't **** it away just because he has it....good for him.

OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. There is an element of salesmanship to bringing FAs in at your price. IMO, TTs personality and lack of diplomacy(Walker) lead to us being unable to bring people in when they have other options.

If it was only money, players would only sign at the clubs they got the best contract offer from. You have to sell these players and convince them GB is the best place for their career, I don't think TT has that in him really.

OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know who was funny and charismatic on ESPN last week, who seemed like a good guy you wouldn't mind hanging out with?

Matt Millen.

(seriously, he was crackin jokes, it was weird. Too bad his team is the joke of the league)

Granted Millen has been pretty gawd awful during his tenure, but I think the Lions may finally turn it around this year. Their offense is picking up and the addition of Johnson can only help.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was only money, players would only sign at the clubs they got the best contract offer from. You have to sell these players and convince them GB is the best place for their career, I don't think TT has that in him really.

From what I've learned as a fan(not an expert like others here), players really care about 2 things:

1. Money
2. Winning a championship (usually maturing FAs)

I dont think salesmanship has anything to do with it.

OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos said:

From what I've learned as a fan(not an expert like others here), players really care about 2 things:

1. Money

If that's the case, why do players come in for visits? Can't they just exchange contract numbers over the phone or via email? Why did Brady lobby so hard to Randy Moss to get him to come to NE?

Like any other decision, you have to convince these guys to come. Granted, it makes it easier when you throw money at them, but it is my belief that the best GM would be a good salesman as well as talent evaluator.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is this new Cheesey guy? I love him. Where'd the old joker go? What did Pyle do to finally push him over the edge? I think I finally witnessed the digital version of the Nerd finally having enough and cold cocking the bully.

Btw, I could party with Warhawk, PackerLegend and Trom too. Thanks for being critical when and where it matters.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
hoos said:

1. Money

If that's the case, why do players come in for visits?

to

1. discuss money
2. discuss direction of team (aka, when do you plan on winning)

Lavar came in, didnt like the direction of the team(favre was undecided, we were obviously rebuilding,etc)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um...they visit several teams to LEVERAGE a better contract out of the team they sign with.

Let me ask you this, hoos. How many people do you know who are lively and entertaining in personal conversation, and yet who would be bumbling, stumbling and stammering in front of a large audience or camera that delivered their image to millions.

Why do you assume that TT in person is like TT in front of large audiences/cameras?

Boy...some people are just reaching for things to gripe about.

OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um...they visit several teams to LEVERAGE a better contract out of the team they sign with.

Let me ask you this, hoos. How many people do you know who are lively and entertaining in personal conversation, and yet who would be bumbling, stumbling and stammering in front of a large audience or camera that delivered their image to millions.

Why do you assume that TT in person is like TT in front of large audiences/cameras?

Boy...some people are just reaching for things to gripe about.

Frankly most people that I know that are persuasive and able to convince people to do things 1 on 1 also have the ability to speak well in public. I'm not reaching for things to complain about, TTs track record is not that great when it comes to closing the deal on FAs and trades.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, because you know, he tries to get some many free agents, and Woodson was just a fluke.

TT doesn't need to sell ****. If you don't want to play for the Pack, then I don't want you playing here.

OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, because you know, he tries to get some many free agents, and Woodson was just a fluke.

TT doesn't need to sell ****. If you don't want to play for the Pack, then I don't want you playing here.

Interesting attitude, if we followed your plan, we would have never had Reggie White. Reggie came here because Wolf did such a good job of convincing him that GB was ready to turn it around and because with Favre he had a good chance to win a Super Bowl. Even Reggie's agent thought that he was going to go to New York and was surprised when he chose GB.

The point is that a good GM can convince a player to sign with you even when there are external factors at play. Reggie had a lot external pressure related to ties with the NY franchise that were pulling him there, but Wolf got the job done and convinced him to sign with GB.

With regards to Woodson, I commend TT for being able to pull it off, but one signing does not make a good salesman. Overall, I would say that TT has failed to sign more quality players than he has actually signed. If you can prove me wrong by weighing all of the signings against failures then maybe I would subscribe to your views.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr wrote:

I know the Packers went 10-6 in '04. We had a 1000 yrd WR, 1000 yrd Rb, HOF QB, Pro-bowl TE. and a decent line that was gelling. Now that WRer is gone, and GJ is no replacement for J-Walk. two Gaurds from that team were never even offered any type of deal, the team was awful in '05. the RB is gone, and sooner or later the blame has to fall somewhere. Not only is TT unable to keep his key players, but he is unable to replace the talent he loses, whether it be through free agency or the draft.

Were you here in '05 by the way?

That 1000 yard WR got hurt in the first game. That 1000 yard RB got hurt as well as did the next guy and the next guy and the next guy. Our All-Pro TE hasn't played like one for how long now?

As if all the injuries were not enough to overcome he was saddled with Roman, Carroll, Digg's, Lenon, and, a horshit DL. If he can't replace players how did Woodson, Pickett, Hawk, Poppinga, Jenkins, and others, end up here and those others are gone?

So all the offensive threats got hurt and our defense sucked but if we had kept that one guard, by god, we would have done better!!!

Wow.

I need the name of doctors some of you guys use. They are subscribing some awfully powerful mind altering drugs.[/quote]

LOL, so how good would they have been wih no injuries?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
dhpackr wrote:

I know the Packers went 10-6 in '04. We had a 1000 yrd WR, 1000 yrd Rb, HOF QB, Pro-bowl TE. and a decent line that was gelling. Now that WRer is gone, and GJ is no replacement for J-Walk. two Gaurds from that team were never even offered any type of deal, the team was awful in '05. the RB is gone, and sooner or later the blame has to fall somewhere. Not only is TT unable to keep his key players, but he is unable to replace the talent he loses, whether it be through free agency or the draft.

That 1000 yard WR got hurt in the first game. That 1000 yard RB got hurt as well as did the next guy and the next guy and the next guy. Our All-Pro TE hasn't played like one for how long now?

As if all the injuries were not enough to overcome he was saddled with Roman, Carroll, Digg's, Lenon, and, a horshit DL. If he can't replace players how did Woodson, Pickett, Hawk, Poppinga, Jenkins, and others, end up here and those others are gone?

So all the offensive threats got hurt and our defense sucked but if we had kept that one guard, by god, we would have done better!!!

Wow.

I need the name of doctors some of you guys use. They are subscribing some awfully powerful mind altering drugs.

Pyle wrote:

Not very. Considering they had gone from a 12-4 team to a 10-6 team and were heading the wrong way and had essentially the same team back as '04 I would say 8-8 maybe.

I actually remember games where 5-9 #3 receivers were called on to fill in the #1 receivers spot(because both DD and Fergy were hurt) and RB's no one had heard of before had to play and we actually WERE IN MANY OF THESE GAMES and could have won a few more easily.

Of course TT, who had been there all of three months, should have had some kind of plan JUST IN CASE four RB's got hurt and all the receivers went down. That dumb ***!

Please! I mean really. If you didn't happen to catch the '05 season QUIT commenting on the record because you obviously have no clue what the hell happened that year.

Brett Favre, FOR THE FIFTH CONSECUTIVE YEAR, was asked to do MORE.
WHY? Because for the FIFTH CONSECUTIVE YEAR he HAD to do MORE because there was LESS talent on the team.

When Walker got hurt, then Green, then Driver for awhile, Fergy, Noah, etc, etc, etc, it got to a point where even the GREAT BRETT FAVRE could not overcome all of the obstacles.

That defense damn sure wasn't going to hold us in there now was it?

This is an overview of the '05 season for those of you that missed it. For those of you that are faking it but want to pretend you actually witnessed that year it's of course TT's fault for LETTING THAT ONE DAMN GUARD GO.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrow is right (about the first and third part of his post anyway). The 4-12 season came about because Javon Walker went down in week one.

And practice squader Samkon Gado leading us in rushing with 582 yards because Ahman and Davenport got hurt.

And Chatman being our #2 receiver because Fergy got hurt. We had no depth beyond our top 3 since Sherman neglected the position during his tenure, routinely carrying only 4 WR's on the roster.

And Donald Lee, picked up right before game one after being cut by Miami, being our leading TE receiver because Franks and Martin got hurt.

Etc...

And that doesn't even go into the terrible defense.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
warhawk said:
dhpackr wrote:

Wow.

I need the name of doctors some of you guys use. They are subscribing some awfully powerful mind altering drugs.

Pyle wrote:

Not very. Considering they had gone from a 12-4 team to a 10-6 team and were heading the wrong way and had essentially the same team back as '04 I would say 8-8 maybe.

I actually remember games where 5-9 #3 receivers were called on to fill in the #1 receivers spot(because both DD and Fergy were hurt) and RB's no one had heard of before had to play and we actually WERE IN MANY OF THESE GAMES and could have won a few more easily.

Of course TT, who had been there all of three months, should have had some kind of plan JUST IN CASE four RB's got hurt and all the receivers went down. That dumb ***!

Please! I mean really. If you didn't happen to catch the '05 season QUIT commenting on the record because you obviously have no clue what the hell happened that year.

WHY? Because for the FIFTH CONSECUTIVE YEAR he HAD to do MORE because there was LESS talent on the team.

When Walker got hurt, then Green, then Driver for awhile, Fergy, Noah, etc, etc, etc, it got to a point where even the GREAT BRETT FAVRE could not overcome all of the obstacles.

This is an overview of the '05 season for those of you that missed it. For those of you that are faking it but want to pretend you actually witnessed that year it's of course TT's fault for LETTING THAT ONE DAMN GUARD GO.

Thank you for sticking the nail in your coffin. So without injuries the Packers were likely an 8-8 team in 2005. Now, in 2006 they go 8-8 again but yet they are improving? Help me out here

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
warhawk said:
pyledriver80 said:
warhawk said:
dhpackr wrote:

Wow.

Pyle wrote:

Thank you for sticking the nail in your coffin. So without injuries the Packers were likely an 8-8 team in 2005. Now, in 2006 they go 8-8 again but yet they are improving? Help me out here

Ever hear of someone being sarcastic?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle wrote:

[/quote]

Thank you Pyle for biting on this and remember in the future that I put thought into what I post.

If in fact, without injuries, the '05 Packers would have had an 8-8 record, the same record as '06, than how are we improving?

That's your question correct?

Well here's your answer. The WHOLE idea of BUILDING a team thru the draft with YOUNG players is that they GET BETTER.

That's right Pyle, young players get BETTER and become GOOD and GREAT players thru something called E-X-P-E-R-I-E-N-C-E.

You solidified this with your own comments about the players MS drafted that made the Pro-Bowl. Both Walker and Kampman were in this league, getting better every year, and BECAME great players thru time.

They damn sure weren't Pro-Bowl caliber their first year now were they?

That's why were improving Pyle. We have a bunch of young guys who went out there in '06 and bashed heads with a bunch of veteran players over the year and they held their own.

We're improving because we have better FOOTBALL PLAYERS on the field than we had out there in '05 and even though guys like Wahle, Rivera, and Flanny, were good in their day we are better NOW for making the transition from that group. I believe that defines improvement doesn't it?

We were no where close to competing with the Bears for the North in '05 and it is going to be a WAR when we knock heads this year.

I call that improvement.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is this new Cheesey guy? I love him. Where'd the old joker go? What did Pyle do to finally push him over the edge? I think I finally witnessed the digital version of the Nerd finally having enough and cold cocking the bully.

Btw, I could party with Warhawk, PackerLegend and Trom too. Thanks for being critical when and where it matters.
LOLOL!!! Yeah Timmons......i got a bit heated. (For good reason I believe) But the "joker" Cheesey is still alive and well, i assure you!
("Digital version of the NERD!?!?") Why, i outta.......!!!! :rotflmao:
Just for that, i'm taking off the gloves! (Or "idiot mittons") and taking out my "pocket protector" and getting ready for battle!!!! :rotflmao:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle wrote:

Thank you Pyle for biting on this and remember in the future that I put thought into what I post.

If in fact, without injuries, the '05 Packers would have had an 8-8 record, the same record as '06, than how are we improving?

That's your question correct?

Well here's your answer. The WHOLE idea of BUILDING a team thru the draft with YOUNG players is that they GET BETTER.

That's right Pyle, young players get BETTER and become GOOD and GREAT players thru something called E-X-P-E-R-I-E-N-C-E.

You solidified this with your own comments about the players MS drafted that made the Pro-Bowl. Both Walker and Kampman were in this league, getting better every year, and BECAME great players thru time.

They damn sure weren't Pro-Bowl caliber their first year now were they?

That's why were improving Pyle. We have a bunch of young guys who went out there in '06 and bashed heads with a bunch of veteran players over the year and they held their own.

We're improving because we have better FOOTBALL PLAYERS on the field than we had out there in '05 and even though guys like Wahle, Rivera, and Flanny, were good in their day we are better NOW for making the transition from that group. I believe that defines improvement doesn't it?

We were no where close to competing with the Bears for the North in '05 and it is going to be a WAR when we knock heads this year.

I call that improvement.[/quote]

Ohhh, I see. Now if it only made a lick of sense. If you are 8-8 one year and go 8-8 the next you didn't improve.

You guys have so many and's, if's, when's and but's. You see things that the record poves otherwise. You are constantly pointing to the future. You base everything on potential. Guess what, every other team in the NFL can say the same. Every other team could sy they will go 16-0 next year every year. You actually sound alot like Viking fans. I know, we will win the Super Bowl in 2010 until 2010 comes around, then it will be 2011, 2012, 2013 and on and on.

Your words and arguments are commonplace for teams that don't have a shot, for franchises headed in the wrong direction, for the Packers of the 70's and 80's.

You never hear a SB team say "wait til next year". That says alot

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You beat me to it. How someone acts in front of a bank of microphones with lights shining on them hardly translates to how they act one on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts