Mike Sherman 2004

Round- Player
1 Ahmad Carroll- Awful, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE
3 Joey Thomas- Awful, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE
3 Donnell Washington- Awful, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE
3 B.J. Sander- Awful, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE
6 Corey Williams- Good
7 Scott Wells- Good

Well now maybe if someone could draft and not waste almost every pick we wouldnt be in the poistion we are now

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
looking at those drafts just put me in a bad mood.

i blame you, PL.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
hoos said:
digs, if you read my post, I am criticizing TT's action this offseason. I may not have been clear enough on this. There is no doubt that the roster was aging in 2004, and we needed some young talent. My point is that we should be done with that phase by now. We didn't need to gut the entire roster and put in a 6 year plan. We could have taken another shot by next year IMO.

Agreed, it's time to take the training wheel off Ted. It's time to win.

You can say that Ted was left with nothing but lets be real. The key guys on this team are guys Ted inherited.

Driver
Favre
KGB
Kampman
Wells
Harris
Barnett
Walker
Williams
Tauscher
Clifton
Green
Henderson

Thats not a BARE CUPBOARD coming in. For the most part its the same reason Ted's getting the few wins he does. Take away those guys and field Ted's stellar team once and see where we are

These are the guys he DID go with in '05 and we all know how great that worked out.
I count about HALF a football team there buddy. It takes a whole lot more than that to win football games in the NFL.

Do you really want to go with this argument.

Those guys were the same guys Sherman and Thompson went with. The difference was supporting cast.

With Mike's we were 10-6
With Ted's we were 4-12

Reaction score
Perhaps it's just me, but I think Brett would have known the type of guy TT is by now, and more importantly he'd have known the approach Thompson was going to use (maybe bringing in 1-2 Free Agents, tops... and not necessarily on the O side of the ball).

If Brett thought it was going to be a bad appraoch, then I have a feeling he'd have said 'it's time to hand em up'. He didn't he said he liked the direction of this team, and thought they could compete.

I'd have to think Brett would have realized that at this point in time, he'd be looking at at least a couple of rookies that are expected to contribute in their first year. Even with that, if he wants to comeback, I have to think he trusts Ted.

I have yet to read an article that directly quotes Brett as saying "Damn you TT, you gave me a **** team", or "TT destroyed my last chance to win a Superbowl".

If Brett is quiet on the whole off-season, then I have to think he has a reason. If Brett was optimistic about coming back, I have to think he has to have a reason.

I don't think he minds Ted's approach at all, if he did, he would have simply said "trade me" or "goodbye". Yet he is (THANK GOD) still here. Ted must be doing something right.... right?

OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Perhaps it's just me, but I think Brett would have known the type of guy TT is by now, and more importantly he'd have known the approach Thompson was going to use (maybe bringing in 1-2 Free Agents, tops... and not necessarily on the O side of the ball).

If Brett thought it was going to be a bad appraoch, then I have a feeling he'd have said 'it's time to hand em up'. He didn't he said he liked the direction of this team, and thought they could compete.

I'd have to think Brett would have realized that at this point in time, he'd be looking at at least a couple of rookies that are expected to contribute in their first year. Even with that, if he wants to comeback, I have to think he trusts Ted.

I have yet to read an article that directly quotes Brett as saying "Damn you TT, you gave me a **** team", or "TT destroyed my last chance to win a Superbowl".

If Brett is quiet on the whole off-season, then I have to think he has a reason. If Brett was optimistic about coming back, I have to think he has to have a reason.

I don't think he minds Ted's approach at all, if he did, he would have simply said "trade me" or "goodbye". Yet he is (THANK GOD) still here. Ted must be doing something right.... right?

The absence of proof is not the proof of absence.

I don't think that Favre would call the GM out. Plus, you could argue that he is coming back because he loves to play the game, not because he believes we are taking the best route back to the Super Bowl.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The absence of proof is not the proof of absence.

I don't think that Favre would call the GM out. Plus, you could argue that he is coming back because he loves to play the game, not because he believes we are taking the best route back to the Super Bowl.

After the game with the Bears, Favre only wanted to come back if the team was committed to winning while he was playing. You could tell by Favre's comments, that he wanted to win NOW (well the next season). By Favre coming back, that implies that TT promised Brett a shot this year, but TT hasn't provided the loaded weapons to go out and win with. I'm personally wondering why Brett is staying around, unless that his class and loyalty to the team is making him stay around.

Here's what scenario scares me and seems quite possible...

A couple of TT's picks do develop into studs in a few years, then contract time comes up and now we have to sign them. The Packers are now without Brett, and Rodgers is struggling or we have brought someone else in. A team with more potential for success comes knocking and TT's picks are gone.

I really think in today's age of FA, its really hard to build a team with the draft. Yes, you can find and keep players if the team is successful. But what stud wants to stay on a struggling team when they could get paid the same with a team that is successful.

Today's teams that miss the playoffs one year and make them the next seem to be one's that have made offseason veteran pickups, not ones that the talent just suddenly appears.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing Personal.... But... It just drives me nuts when people use the 96 Broncos as an example of how to build a Superbowl Team.

They cheated! They frickin cheated and could not have built that team if they followed the rules that every other team did.

Why this is not a bigger issue I have no idea? They have two superbowls and got them by cheating.

RP

Reaction score
Plus, you could argue that he is coming back because he loves to play the game, not because he believes we are taking the best route back to the Super Bowl.

That's exactly it... if Favre still loves the game, then that means he must like the way things are going.

After the 4-12 season, Favre said he struggled with wanting to come back because there were times where the game wasn't fun for him anymore (I think he said he didn't even wanna show up on Sunday a couple of times... but I may be wrong).

If he still finds it fun, then it is because this team is on the rise and somewhat competent.

Favre himself said he was excited about the direction this young team was going in (said when he announced he was coming back this year, if I remember correctly)... that is about as close to an endorsement you can get for TT.

Heck Favre even went goofy and called Mooch during a live NFLN show to tell him about coming back. That signals an excited Favre to me, that seems to me something the kid inside Favre would do.

My point is, NO ONE is holding a gun to Favre's head and telling him to come back. If he is fed up with the front office, or feels that he is trying to be forced out, then we both know he wouldn't take it. He could just as easily get out of the game.

Yet he has decided to stay on for another year... surely that has to say SOMETHING positive about this regime.

OP
OP
H

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Nothing Personal.... But... It just drives me nuts when people use the 96 Broncos as an example of how to build a Superbowl Team.

They cheated! They frickin cheated and could not have built that team if they followed the rules that every other team did.

Why this is not a bigger issue I have no idea? They have two superbowls and got them by cheating.

RP

Out of curiosity, how did they cheat?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
pyledriver80 said:
hoos said:
digs, if you read my post, I am criticizing TT's action this offseason. I may not have been clear enough on this. There is no doubt that the roster was aging in 2004, and we needed some young talent. My point is that we should be done with that phase by now. We didn't need to gut the entire roster and put in a 6 year plan. We could have taken another shot by next year IMO.

You can say that Ted was left with nothing but lets be real. The key guys on this team are guys Ted inherited.

Driver
Favre
KGB
Kampman
Wells
Harris
Barnett
Walker
Williams
Tauscher
Clifton
Green
Henderson

Thats not a BARE CUPBOARD coming in. For the most part its the same reason Ted's getting the few wins he does. Take away those guys and field Ted's stellar team once and see where we are

These are the guys he DID go with in '05 and we all know how great that worked out.
I count about HALF a football team there buddy. It takes a whole lot more than that to win football games in the NFL.

Those guys were the same guys Sherman and Thompson went with. The difference was supporting cast.

With Mike's we were 10-6
With Ted's we were 4-12
Never mind the FACT that Sherman had the players when they still were in their PRIME, and STILL couldn't get deep into the playoffs.
TT has to try to rebuild the team from the players that were at the END of their careers, replacing almost all the important positions.
But hey......when you hate a guy, why let FACTS get in the way?
Do you really want to go with your argument?

Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

RP

Something to do with circumventing the salary cap during the Superbowl years...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

RP

They didn't follow the salary cap. They went over it, tried to cover it up and got fined a million dollars a year or so back. I don't know WHY it took almost 10 years for the NFL to do anything about it. My guess is, they didn't want to mess up poor Elway's glorious exit, by letting the truth out too soon after he retired. So, let enough time go by and maybe no one will notice. To me, they SHOULD have taken away their SB trophy and title. Tell me......in what other major sport can you cheat to win the title, and NOT have it taken away?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
warhawk said:
pyledriver80 said:
hoos said:

Driver
Favre
KGB
Kampman
Wells
Harris
Barnett
Walker
Williams
Tauscher
Clifton
Green
Henderson

With Mike's we were 10-6
With Ted's we were 4-12
Never mind the FACT that Sherman had the players when they still were in their PRIME, and STILL couldn't get deep into the playoffs.
TT has to try to rebuild the team from the players that were at the END of their careers, replacing almost all the important positions.
But hey......when you hate a guy, why let FACTS get in the way?
Do you really want to go with your argument?

Uhhh Barnett wasn't in his prime, neither was Kampman, Williams, Wells or Walker. Driver is not on the downside. Either is Harris, Tauscher or KGB.

The reasons the Pack were a winning team then is the same as now. The problem is the NFL Europe talent TT surrounds them with

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre WAS still in his prime.
But i know that FACT would mess up your hate fest, so i'll just let you ignore it.

Reaction score
Pyle, I've read statements from Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren that say Ted will be successful as the GM here, and he has the team on the right path.

They certainly are experts whose opinions mean something.

Any such experts that say Ted will fail, and has done a terrible job since coming over?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle, I've read statements from Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren that say Ted will be successful as the GM here, and he has the team on the right path.

They certainly are experts whose opinions mean something.

Any such experts that say Ted will fail, and has done a terrible job since coming over?

Wow, thats a great argument. Digging pretty deep are we not? Didn't they also say MS would be successful?

You keep trying to figure out a way to make TT look great with "This guy said so" or "that expert said this" but in all reality if the guy was winning none of that SPECULATION would be needed.

OMFG, this is the 80's!

Reaction score
You missed my point pyle. These people all have a little faith, and are saying Ted needs time up there.

You need give Ted a chance too.

He has got two more years on his contract, wait until he finishes them to say his tenure was a failure, and it brought back the 80s.

You need to stop being so negative all the time. We get you don't like Ted, but at least show some confidence in his abilities, show some glimer of hope that TT (even by pure fluke) will get some semblance of a winning team back in Green Bay.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You missed my point pyle. These people all have a little faith, and are saying Ted needs time up there.

He has got two more years on his contract, wait until he finishes them to say his tenure was a failure, and it brought back the 80s.

You need to stop being so negative all the time. We get you don't like Ted, but at least show some confidence in his abilities, show some glimer of hope that TT (even by pure fluke) will get some semblance of a winning team back in Green Bay.
Give up Allabout!
It ain't gonna happen!
You have more of a chance of getting hit by lightening winning the lottery at the same time then there is of Pyle giving TT a fair shake.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have no problem giving Ted props when he doesn't something. Signing Woodson was a good move but it contradicts his plan.

I will be negative until Ted proves he can win. Until then, I just want him the hell outta here so we can go back to winning divisions and having a shot come playoff time

Reaction score
But can we really do that right away with Ted gone?

I mean you get in another GM, and he'll spend a couple of years adding 'his players'.

By that time, Favre's last year will be spent on another season where we started from close to scratch, so to speak.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I mean you get in another GM, and he'll spend a couple of years adding 'his players'.

By that time, Favre's last year will be spent on another season where we started from close to scratch, so to speak.
Plus......that would force Pyle to redirect his hatred to a whole new GM.
It would waste all the great hate he has drummed up over the last 2 years.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wait, You are talking about Favre final years. How is Ted giving him any chance to do anything more than what you just said. Is Ted making a push?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have no problem giving Ted props when he doesn't something. Signing Woodson was a good move but it contradicts his plan.

I will be negative until Ted proves he can win. Until then, I just want him the hell outta here so we can go back to winning divisions and having a shot come playoff time
"Until Ted proves he can win".......geez, how is he supposed to do that when you "want him the hell outta here"???
Like some other guy will come in and ****! Instant Super Bowl contenders!
The Packers IMPROVED from 4-12 (which was a NEW coach, NEW offense) to 8-8.
Now.....if they do WORSE the that this coming year, then you might have a leg to stand on.
Even Ron Wolf took more time to turn the Packers around then you have allowed to TT. Guess you must think it's an easy thing to do. Just WANT to win. SPEND lots of money, and you win the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts