1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why have the Packers abandoned the run?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rabidgopher04, Sep 23, 2007.

1. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    On HBO's inside the NFL, Collinsworth said he just didn't know how the Packers were going to get Merriman blocked. I sure hope he comes back this week and commends Taush and Clifton, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Chargers pass D is bad.

the end.

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Expect more passing next week against the run strong, weak pass defensive team of the Vikings.

4. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    my dad is going to be at the game next week to see Brett Favre break the all-time TD record.

5. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree. Pass alot and break a few long ones too.

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    That's awesome.

7. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    yes it is. My dad deserves to see that record broken. He's not even from Wisconsin and he's been a Packer fan since he was a kid. I'm really pulling for it to happen against the Vikes.

8. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that your dad on the right in your avatar?

9. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Barring an injury, he will break it.

10. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    yes it is!

11. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I found this interesting and I think this ends this thread.

12. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    HILARIOUS stuff here from packersnews.com. This was published before today's game. Yep, the key is to establish the running game:

McCarthy said there are two types of 3-4's, which is so named because it features three down linemen and four linebackers, as opposed to the traditional 4-3, with four down linemen and three linebackers. McCarthy likened the type of 3-4 the Chargers play to what the Packers saw against the Patriots and Jets last season, and neither of those games went well.

The Packers scored just 10 points total in those two games and suffered blowout losses at home. The key is to be able to establish a running game because if the offense becomes too reliant on the pass, it's playing right into the hands of a 3-4.

"It's really built to take away the run and try to get you in a one-dimensional game of passing," McCarthy said. "But it's just like any defense. It has its strengths, and in my opinion you need to attack it, and also you need to try to create situations, angles, however you want to view it, to give you a better opportunity running the football."

13. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    In bringing up the abondoned running game, I am speaking more broadly, not just the Chargers game. All 3 games the run has been pathetic. You can't tell me that they have been game planning to pass hardcore all 3 games.

What I fear is that this is a one-dimensional team and when the Packers play someone with a lights-out secondary they'll get their asses handed to them.

Yes, I am happy they won and recognize that they did, but can they sustain this pass happy attack week after week? Eventually someone is going to have their number and won't have the run to bail them out based on what I've seen so far.

14. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    what i see is progression each week. week 2 was better than week 1, and week 3 was better than week 2. I'm happy with our progression. We NEED to keep progressing if we hope to be a real playoff team.

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Urgh! For the love of God, knock on wood or something!

16. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was very worried about Merriman. We completely neutralized him. Great stuff o-line.

17. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Point taken. But it's a subject that can better be discussed later in the week, in the cool light of reason. Right now everyone is just happy that they won, and most people agree that the pass-happy game plan was perfect, except for that empty backfield on fourth and inches at the goal line.

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I bet Merriman wasn't very "Merry" after the game!
    Hey, if a D is that good against the pass, they STILL have to beat it. How many times in the past have teams that had good pass D, STILL not stop Favre? And look what kinds of weapons he has to throw to now! Driver, Jennings, Jones, Bubba, Lee...........Favre must be drooling over his receiving corp right now. And i really think in this case, the pass will open up the run later. If a D expects passes, I bet we can gash them on some runs at that time.

19. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I did it playing sandlot ball as a kid and I did pretty well..... :p

20. Obi1

Obi1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly!

The Packers running game will get more considerable as the season progresses.

right now, the screen pass, the quick slants and the flare passes have rplaced the run as a run-substitute.

21. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    The gameplan he came up with worked. It looked to me like when they did run the opportunity was there but why go away from what you are doing if it works?

Now that teams see that the Packers cannot necessarily be beaten by making them one-dimensional it will require an emphasis on the opponents part to come up with a way to stop our passing game.

That's when you will see us run it more.

BUT. If the opposing team stubbornly stays with 7 or 8 guys up close like San Diego did we can just merrily go on our way and WHIP THEIR ***.

22. de_real_deal

de_real_deal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That cant be true because we "drafted Brandon Jackson specifically for his experience in the zbs at Nebraska" or so i thought

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The way i see it.........in the past, some of our coaches would stick with the run, even if it wasn't working, and we would lose.
    I'm glad to see a coach that goes with whats working.
    It has lead to 3-0

24. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994

25. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    its a little concerning, but it might work out that the amount of passing we have done so far, and the record dangling in front of favre's eyes - teams will have forgotten about the run. I look for the run game to get better over the next week or 2, although Minn. has a good run D.