Why has the Offense changed so drastically from last year?

TallPackersFan96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the forums to Packers.com Ask Vic, are filled with this question. What happened to our juggernaut offense? My theory, 2 words... Offensive Coordinator. Philbin was a Chess Master, and we lost him to Miami. We have Tom Clements now, and the question that should be on fans mouth is how long till Clements grows into a Chess Master like Philbin was?

"Its time to enjoy the game again, seems alot of fans myself included lost the fun factor. Winning wasn't enough we wanted domination. This season has shocked me out of that line of thinking, and I'm trying to go back to enjoying being a fan"

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The offense hasn't "changed". The NFL has a year of tape on the Packers offense. The NFL adjusted to the Packers and Mike McCarthy hasn't adjusted. His play calling has become stale; therefore, the offense has become stale.

Michael Lombardi summed it up perfectly: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...s-need-to-adapt-like-the-new-england-patriots

Agree. I am really impressed lately, sadly, by the Pats offense. The patience and desire to run lately is different to watch with NE too. And I don't think NE's o line is all that great either...they lost a few guys in the offseason. The run game in NE lately (and it's ranked like 3rd or 4th right now in the league) if it keeps up all year is a big reason why I think NE has great SB odds again, more so then before.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately for us, by comparison NE has a better OL and better RBs, which is one of the reasons why they can change up their offense. They actually protect Brady when he drops back.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately for us, by comparison NE has a better OL and better RBs, which is one of the reasons why they can change up their offense. They actually protect Brady when he drops back.

I would also argue the refs have a part in that as well

Reaction score
The offense hasn't "changed". The NFL has a year of tape on the Packers offense. The NFL adjusted to the Packers and Mike McCarthy hasn't adjusted. His play calling has become stale; therefore, the offense has become stale.

Michael Lombardi summed it up perfectly: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...s-need-to-adapt-like-the-new-england-patriots

Your partially correct. You are right about how the NFL defenses have adjusted to the packers play calling. McCarthy has somewhat adjusted. This is the most running I remember from years past. The thing is we don't have an offense that is made to run, so transitioning more to running has been harder. Ced Ben's injury was huge in the last game. McCarthy had faith in Benson running the ball. He doesn't have the same faith in Alex Green. I don't blame him I would of done the same thing.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If the Pack really wanted to run better I am not sure Jeff Saturday was the best pick up. I am just saying.....

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our Offense: There is no mistake that the offense isn't playing at the level of last season and if you wonder why just look at the loss of 2 people (Scott Wells & Greg Jennings). Wells solidified the line and made the calls and though Saturday has been a Pro Bowler he hasn't meshed all that well in Green Bay as yet. There is too much confusion amongst the linemen right now. They signed Benson and have both Starks & Green all good size RBs and haven't committed to running the ball. Also Jennings is the spark that makes the passing game go. He makes everyone of the other receivers better because he is who Defensive Coordinators try to scheme against so your getting a look at how this offense will look after Jennings. Trying to plug Finley in and make him a star hasn't worked, he is much too inconsistent. Also, because of the intent to force the pass and not take advantage and adjust the offensive scheme by running more has played directly into the hands of the coordinators who are designing their game plans to take away the deep pass (just look at the Seattle Game - 2nd Half). Why not run more?
Where is Driver? Mr dependable on 3rd Downs! Now we have Mr Stumble (Finley) running in the 4 Receiver sets.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Last year we just plain out took what we wanted. Simple as that. This year we seem to be looking for free handouts instead of just stepping up and taking what we want.
It all boils down to the puzzle pieces not fitting at the same time. All parts must be plugged in to work together. If the o- line is lacking/slacking Arod gets hurried or sacked - WR's not getting seperation = rodgers holds the ball to long - gets sacked. We are just not firing on all 8 cylinders right now. We need a tune up BADLY. Some want to complain about the defense not be good or looking like 2011....not the case. Last season we finished dead last on defense, as of right now, we are 17th....That is a big jump in my opinion.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
What happened to the quick slant? Seems our first option is to throw deep.

Good call. I too was wondering about that laser fast slant. DD and cobb are perfect candidates for that set up.
We need that threat back. Double slot set: DD and Cobb = knock out punch
That would force the LB's in, leaving the edge more open, hence a good screen paly can be had.
We sure could use that tpe of play on our enemic 3rd down plays.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
That play action pass that fakes the run to the left side and Arod rolls out to the right and looks for Jordy nelson is WAY to predictable. I have called that one out each time they have tried it this season before the play even happened. If I can see that, Im sure the defense can too. It has yet to work this season. Arod has been forced to run on that play or throw out of bounds every time. Nelson get doubled or just cant separate because they can diagnose that crap to easily. They need a new gimick play.

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers admitted on his radio show he's just been off his game which we can all agree with. That has definitely contributed to the lack of offensive production, along with the drops from all of the receivers this year, not just the usual TE that we've all become accustomed to seeing drop the ball. As it was stated Jennings not being in has killed the receiving corp because the defenses no longer worry about where he's lined up.

The loss of Wells has killed the offensive just like Sunshine said. Benson going down may be nearly as big a hit as Jennings being down to boot.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Joe Philbin leaving has to be a factor. I believe that the team also doesn't have the mindset they had last year when they truly believed they were unstoppable and unbeatable.

Members online

Latest posts