Why doesn't anyone like Vernand Morency?

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to why everyone thinks this guy cannot be an everydown back??? I'm not for one or the other but I would just like to hear some reasons.... Thanks :feedback:

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Why doesn't anyone like Vernand Morrency?

I don't mind Morency at all. Reminds me alot of ******. Good second tier back to give our (hopeful) superstar a rest.

OP
OP
B

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:chalflag:
Raider Pride said:
I'm just curious as to why everyone thinks this guy cannot be an everydown back??? I'm not for one or the other but I would just like to hear some reasons.... Thanks :feedback:

Ohhh... I don't know.... Maybe "Lack Of Speed." for one.

R.P.

Lack of speed????? I don't about you but he sure seem to play a lot faster than Green.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why doesn't anyone like Vernand Morrency?

A lot of people here like Morency just fine. Still, his performance was not so outstanding that fans are looking for him to be an every-down back this year. If that happens, fine, but we do need another guy to share the load.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I may be mis-judging my friends here, but in many cases folks tend to align themselves with big names thinking that is the best way to go. It's tough for them to look at a no-name and consider him as fine for that position. We're all looking for a Reggie Bush in our backfield and anyone else is a disappointment. Frankly, I'm anxious to see how well he does in an expanded role AND I hope to find out what a healthy Beach can do. But, as always, ANY ONE back there needs a good OL to give him a chance.

OP
OP
B

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score

how can it be said he can't carry the ball 20+ times when he hasn't been asked to do it yet...... I agree they another RB but I'm just curious why everyone assumes he can be nothing more than a backup. Last Season he didn't have a shot to be a starter. He fumbled 2 times out of his 96 carries. Not too great but that is something that is correctable.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I may be mis-judging my friends here, but in many cases folks tend to align themselves with big names thinking that is the best way to go. It's tough for them to look at a no-name and consider him as fine for that position. We're all looking for a Reggie Bush in our backfield and anyone else is a disappointment. Frankly, I'm anxious to see how well he does in an expanded role AND I hope to find out what a healthy Beach can do. But, as always, ANY ONE back there needs a good OL to give him a chance.

I think he is fine for what we need out of a running back. I'd like to see Morency carry the ball 15 times per game and hopefully we can draft a third down type back who is an excellent receiver as well. Someone like a Dave Megget/ Charlie Garner type player. The two of them can combine for 25 carries per game and 7 or 8 catches per game, we will be fine.

It would be a nice luxury to have a Ladanian Tomlinson type back, but theres only 2 or 3 of them in the league. You will be suprised how much better our running game is if we get Moss and a downfield threat at tight end. Besides that, even without Moss, Morency still played well less his fumbles and that is easily fixed unless your name is Ahman Green.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was more impressed with him than Green last season. He's a lot quicker.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

I like him! Like him a lot! I thought we had a great pick up trading Sammy Gado for Morency even though I love Gado so much! But, I think he's still learning and can't be a starter yet. We need someone with experience especially since McCarthy loves the run game so much

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like the guy. I think he showed some flashes last season. And i think he will be much better, now that he has had a season under his belt. I think he just needs the chance to show if he CAN carry the load.
He will be more comfortable now that he has had some snaps with the O-line.

OP
OP
B

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like him! Like him a lot! I thought we had a great pick up trading Sammy Gado for Morency even though I love Gado so much! But, I think he's still learning and can't be a starter yet. We need someone with experience especially since McCarthy loves the run game so much
That's what I don't get..... People use these phrases like "We need someone with experience." like they know what they are talking about. What exactly does that mean???? Does it mean we HAVE to get a veteran(who is probably past his prime from carrying the ball so much) because I don't know of any veterans who are even available anymore that would be worth a damn.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I want to see us use two very decent tailbacks this season to take the pressure off of Brett. We need to have a decent running game in order to set up Brett's play action passing game. The guy is great at it, but if we just have a half as# run game then they are gonna just play the pass and Brett is gonna have a tough time getting us wins.

OP
OP
B

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is that the best you could come up with for a comment on this thread????? Or were you just looking for someone to say "Great Post"???????

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

4Pack4and4Brett4CrAzEd4 said:
That's what I don't get..... People use these phrases like "We need someone with experience." like they know what they are talking about. What exactly does that mean???? Does it mean we HAVE to get a veteran(who is probably past his prime from carrying the ball so much) because I don't know of any veterans who are even available anymore that would be worth a damn.

Well if it was just toting the rock, yes we could probably run the ball just fine and pick up the yards and maybe show that he can pick up yards on his own.

But there is much more to playing running back than running the ball. Blitz pickups, hot reads, route running and supporting the passing game are included. Blitz pick up is the most critical, I would like someone with a little experience protecting Brett until he (Morrency) proves that he can handle it. Experience is under-rated in the NFL.

OP
OP
B

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Blitz pickup is probably the reason Herron will be back. But what type of experience are we talking about???? i agree Morrency needs to work on his blitz pickup but fortunatly that is something that is correctable along with his fumbles.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Blitz pickup is probably the reason Herron will be back. But what type of experience are we talking about???? i agree Morrency needs to work on his blitz pickup but fortunatly that is something that is correctable along with his fumbles.

Is that the best you could come up with? If he needs work on picking up the blitz and hanging on to the ball then he should not be an every down back. With Brett damn near done playing we need to make a run now. And in order to do that we need a better back then Morency. But it dosent look like thats gonna happen, so I guess we will see what dude has.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Agreed, but don't you think it would be prudent to have a back with experience on the roster to insert into pressure situations and to help develop other backs via showing them. Not saying sign someone to take the job away from him, just to carry some of the load until he "corrects" things that need work in his game. Dillion would work for 10 to 15 plays a game and occasionally more.

What kind of experience are we talking about... game hinging on a 3rd and 1, you need the first down... I would prefer someone that has been there before. Game isn't going the way you want, maybe you made a mistake, can he overcome that and play on?

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The real question is why can't anyone spell his name correctly?

OP
OP
B

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bowechov said:

Agreed, but don't you think it would be prudent to have a back with experience on the roster to insert into pressure situations and to help develop other backs via showing them. Not saying sign someone to take the job away from him, just to carry some of the load until he "corrects" things that need work in his game. Dillion would work for 10 to 15 plays a game and occasionally more.

What kind of experience are we talking about... game hinging on a 3rd and 1, you need the first down... I would prefer someone that has been there before. Game isn't going the way you want, maybe you made a mistake, can he overcome that and play on?

:thumbsup:

But isn't the only player out there with that kind experience Corey Dillon. I think it would be interesting to bring him in but I think they are willing to take their lumps with a rookie. I mean to have a veteran in the position would be ideal of course but the Packers are not in position to get one so I say why bother worrying about.... Get a rookie, Let him split time with Morency(correct name spelling) and keep Herron if nobody can match his blitz pickup ability.

Man I love this time of year!!!

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bowechov said:
how can it be said he can't carry the ball 20+ times when he hasn't been asked to do it yet...... I agree they another RB but I'm just curious why everyone assumes he can be nothing more than a backup. Last Season he didn't have a shot to be a starter. He fumbled 2 times out of his 96 carries. Not too great but that is something that is correctable.[/quote

thank you geeze. stop talking about what a player can and cannot do if he hasnt even gotten the chance yet to be our starter.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

how can it be said he can't carry the ball 20+ times when he hasn't been asked to do it yet...... I agree they another RB but I'm just curious why everyone assumes he can be nothing more than a backup. Last Season he didn't have a shot to be a starter. He fumbled 2 times out of his 96 carries. Not too great but that is something that is correctable.

Agreed.

He played one game where he rushed for 99 yards on 25 carries. So he can rush 20+ times. The thing is, he probably won't have to much. I imagine we'll end up with Marshawn Lynch and we'll split carries between the two of them.

I have nothing against Morency. I think he's decent. I think the whole thing with the ZBS is that any back could be put there and do well. We should be fine. The problem we had last year is our OL was new. Now they have a year together.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

4Pack4and4Brett4CrAzEd4 said:

By experience I mean a RB who has started and has more than a year under their belt. But you know, from what I've heard about the situation, McCarthy and Ted want to build the RB position from what they have already, soo... Morency will probably get his experience. I don't object to it but I'd like to see someone more solid

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts