Why do the Packers seem to be blind to Badger football players when they are so close to Green Bay.

OP
OP
R

Robert Geib

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any reason to believe the Packers avoid selecting Badgers in the draft. I think it was Starr as GM who said he avoided Badgers because of they would experience extra pressure staying in-state.

As to Wilson, IMO it would have been a mistake for Thompson to select a backup QB in the first half of the draft unless he was the only player in a higher talent tier when the Packers picked. IMO it's too early to go out of their way to spend a high pick on Rodgers' successor. If Wilson had ended up in Green Bay, he likely would have found greener pastures as Flynn did before Rodgers was ready to retire.

Regarding that particular draft, Wilson was selected at #75 in the third round. The Packers went into the draft with picks #28, #59, and #90. Thompson traded up from #59 to #51 to get Worthy and from #90 to #62 to get Hayward. I suppose he could have hung on to pick #90 and waited until the beginning of the third round and traded up to get Wilson but again, I just don't think that would have made any sense at this point in time.

Thompson would have only had to jump up a few spots in the first round to grab Carimi. Depending on how far up he went that may have cost the pick used to select Cobb, Green, or House. The Bears are in need of someone to take over the LT spot and Carimi is being used exclusively at RT. Of course at the time of that draft, the Packers already had Bulaga.

OP
OP
R

Robert Geib

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would also love to have Worthy or Casey Heyward, our potential starting rookie corner. Sometimes, you have to draft for needs. We needed a ton of help on defense. We aren't going to draft a quarterback, that we don't need, in the 2nd or 3rd round. Look at Matt Flynn. We got him in the 7th round. We can't go and draft someone like Wilson (Who I love) just because he is from the Badgers.

OP
OP
R

Robert Geib

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to borrow trouble but if Rodgers goes down for any length of time, with Harrell in there you can start planning for next year.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to borrow trouble but if Rodgers goes down for any length of time, with Harrell in there you can start planning for next year.
I think that without Rodgers any backup from any roster not named Matt Flynn would have a hard time carrying this team a long time. And Flynn would fair best only because he was here for years.

Reaction score
Yep pretty much. Wouldn't that apply for any team? If Rodgers went down and we put in Russell Wilson, do you think that we will expect to win a playoff game anyways? What's the point of having a backup QB that's decent unless you have an amazing running game?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers goes down and I hope we suck it up. Bc we aren't going to win it all with graham. Might as well lose the rest and grab a nice draft pick

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check the Seahawk score. I rest my case. Some players do well in certain systems and others struggle. Flynn would have been better off going to Miami. I watch every Wis game and what Wilson did in one year was exceptional.
Us Wis studs are doing well against the Buckeyes but it may not last with Urban Meyers on board.

What case? What are you even talking about? You want me to check a Seahawks preseason score, as if that proves or means anything? Should I check the Packers/Browns score from a couple weeks ago while I'm at it? Because I'm sure that's a direct reflection of what would happen in a real game..I rest my case.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take preseason with a grain of salt. Wilson deserves the starting job but his performance in the preseason doesn't count. Thank god it doesn't bc our MVP QB looked avg most of the preseason.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last ones I remember are Mark Tauscher, a great Packer, Gary Ellerson and Bill Ferrario. Dale Hackbart was drafted by us, but played mostly for the Vikings. Arnie Herber and Curley Lambeau both played for us after leaving UW, and are in the HOF. And, of course, Johnny Blood was from New Richmond, which is almost as close to Green Bay as Madison is. I think there are only 30 total from UW that played for the Packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure I read in a media guide for the bucks a few years back that they drafted more kids from UW-Eau Claire than Duke.

I'll leave the determination of how that affects the play on court to you guys.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers hoes down the season is over.. Same story with Brady, Brees and both Mannings. Backups only matter if the starter is out for a game or two.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And please, nobody bring up Kurt Warner. A backup has come in to save a season and win a Super Bowl once in 46+ years. It's not the norm and i wouldn't expect it to happen again any time soon.

H

HardRightEdge

Why would that start trouble? That's a reasonable supposition if Rodgers went IR. The best you can expect from a backup is to stay competitive for a few games.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last ones I remember are Mark Tauscher, a great Packer, Gary Ellerson and Bill Ferrario. Dale Hackbart was drafted by us, but played mostly for the Vikings. Arnie Herber and Curley Lambeau both played for us after leaving UW, and are in the HOF. And, of course, Johnny Blood was from New Richmond, which is almost as close to Green Bay as Madison is. I think there are only 30 total from UW that played for the Packers.

In 1918, Curly Lambeau played football ( freshman year) at Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana. Curly left Notre Dame in December 1918 and never returned to College . Curly and George Calhoun co -founded the Green Bay Packers on August 11, 1919.

Former Green B ay West High School Star high school star Football player Arnie Herber never went to U of Wisconsin. Herber went to Regis College, which was not located in the State of Wisconsin

Johnny "Blood"McNally went to St John's College which is located in State of Minnsota.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

what about Randy Wright? LOL

Packfan14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure I read in a media guide for the bucks a few years back that they drafted more kids from UW-Eau Claire than Duke.

I'll leave the determination of how that affects the play on court to you guys.
Yeah recent history show that the dookies dont fare well as pros.

Why would that start trouble? That's a reasonable supposition if Rodgers went IR. The best you can expect from a backup is to stay competitive for a few games.

What if Rodgers goes on IR (hope not) and Harrell pulls a Steve Young for the rest of the season (not the whole shebang of departure of Montana)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 1918, Curly Lambeau played football ( freshman year) at Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana. Curly left Notre Dame in December 1918 and never returned to College . Curly and George Calhoun co -founded the Green Bay Packers on August 11, 1919.

Former Green B ay West High School Star high school star Football player Arnie Herber never went to U of Wisconsin. Herber went to Regis College, which was not located in the State of Wisconsin

Johnny "Blood"McNally went to St John's College which is located in State of Minnsota.
Lambeau enrolled at the U of Wisconsin in 1917 and dropped out 1 month later because they dropped the freshman football program. He enrolled at ND the next fall as you point out. Arnie Herber attended UW for one year before transferring to Regis College, according to the Packer web site. Johnny Blood grew up in New Richmond, Wis and I never claimed he attended UW, but he's a Wisconsin man. Thanks for making me check.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You are wondering why we didn't trade up and take a position we don't need?
Not I. I was happy with Harrell until after the second pre-season game, then I started calling for Coleman. Just a bump so the guys who think we should have drafted Wilson don't wind up making a new thread.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the bears taking Carimi before we could take him (which some where saying we should have) is looking pretty good right now. The guy is getting beat pretty bad at RT on a team that would kill for a LT.

J.J. Watt is looking like an all-pro future defensive player of the year though, at exactly the position we could most use. Of course, where he was there was no way we were going to get him, but as Badgers in the pros go, he's looking like he's going to be as highly rated as Joe Thomas.

Latest posts